Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 4th 2015, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Cheers, you would have sailed right by our coast half way up Vancouver Island, I can see the cruise ships at night as they pass! Glad you had a good time I have not posted on here much because not had that much to say, however house was listed again on 1st June so now we wait for a buyer!!!
Old Jun 4th 2015, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

usbrit2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found out from AT&T that because I have the ATT Next Plan, I don't have to pay the early termination fee, just pay off my phone and get it unlocked. Yippee! How cool is that!!

Are you going home to England, FeelBritish?
Old Jun 4th 2015, 8:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Glad you had a good time I have not posted on here much because not had that much to say, however house was listed again on 1st June so now we wait for a buyer!!!
We listed ours on April 9th and had two offers in hand on April 18th. After a bit of dicking around & negotiating we agreed the sale at 98% of asking on April 24th.

I hope yours goes as smoothly.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, you would have sailed right by our coast half way up Vancouver Island, I can see the cruise ships at night as they pass! Glad you had a good time I have not posted on here much because not had that much to say, however house was listed again on 1st June so now we wait for a buyer!!!
Wow, that's exciting, feelbritish! Good luck! I thought you were pretty accepting of staying put, in the end; or that's the last thing I remember (tho I have been away from BE for a bit) so I guess something has changed….
Old Jun 4th 2015, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'll be happy to share our experience with you. I think I covered most of it with my reply to Rodney. We sailed on the Norwegian Jewel ship. They upgraded us to the tenth deck.

Cheers
Just read your other post...thank you for the details.

I have been on the Jewel from NYC to the Bahamas about 4 years ago. The only other NCL ship I have been on is the Epic which sails out of Miami. NCL are a good cruise line. I recommend Princess...they are our favourite cruise line...followed by Royal Caribbean. I wouldn't go on another Holland America cruise if you paid me. Carnval ships are known as the party ship...so yes give them a miss.

If you want to know more about a cruise line or a particular ship please drop me a PM. If I can help I will. We have sailed mostly to Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean, Hawaii and the north end of South America/Panama Canal. We drive down to Ft Lauderdale and jump on last minute back to back cruises during the winter. A 7 day cruise can cost the same as a couple of nights in a hotel.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 4th 2015 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usbrit2015
I found out from AT&T that because I have the ATT Next Plan, I don't have to pay the early termination fee, just pay off my phone and get it unlocked. Yippee! How cool is that!!

Are you going home to England, FeelBritish?
Hoping to, it was a long hard process with lots of stress along the way. MY OH is British and does not really want to go back. I met him there 14 years ago when working and living there on my ancestry visa, not thinking we would move to Canada. I had ILR and stupidly we never thought they would change the rules for spouses and when we left I had only 1 year to arrive into Canada or lose the opportunity plus I had to wait 2 years in UK for citizenship as I had just switched to spouse from ancestral so we never gave it another thought and moved over. I have been unhappy here since 2010 when I found this wonderful group and saw that I was not alone at all. Even though I did not live a long time in UK, I settled there as if it was "home" as I feel my soul belongs there! I am from Cape Town and my upbringing was very English and always considered that my ancestral home! Like you I am also 58 and will probably try to find a part time job but luckily we kept our house there as well as having a house here! We will probably not move back to the house in UK and look for a nice bungalow in South Devon to retire too as OH will be retired. I am trying to figure out which visa to go back on. I tried to find out if I could go on Returning Resident visa but apparently I have been out of country too long and owning a house is not close enough ties. Bummer that would have been the easiest route to go!

Houses in our area do not sell fast so once again I am probably going to have to be patient but this time I am not changing my mind and allowing OH to persuade me to stay here! My friends and family are all in either UK or Cape Town and those in CT visit UK often as they have so many connections there! No one wants to visit us here!

I admire you, I did what you did when I was 45 and moved to UK from CT with my container of furniture, no job and a place to stay with a friend for a month. Best decision I ever made, I landed a great job, bought a house and settled in as if I was meant to be there! Think my past lives were always there
Old Jun 4th 2015, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

We visited Juneau, Ketchikan (will I ever learn to spell that right??), Victoria (very British) and Skagway and of course Seattle. Oh, and one of the Glaciers.
In Junean we took the trip up the mountain in the cable tram and we really liked it. We did a 2 and a half horseback ride while we were in the town of Skagway which is the first time I've been on a horse one in 50 years for me. We saw a bear running after its prey. I guess we are not too old if we can do a 2 hour plus ride on horseback at the age of 77. DW is 78 and she loved the ride. I didn't feel very secure in the saddle and I don't think they had adjusted the saddle for me correctly.
DW really enjoyed the 'all you can eat' crab fest in Ketchikan. The staff just keep on bringing the crab out of the kitchen for the tourists to gorge themselves.

I've now only sailed on the Norweigan Cruise ship and I really liked it a lot and I've tried to find some reviews of the other cruise lines but have not been successful. I think I will stay away from Carnival cruiseline for a start.

We have the travel bug so we are going to Durango in Colorado in a couple of weeks. We've heard that it is really nice area and is on our 'bucket list' of things to do before we get old.

Dw is doing the homework on a cruise to the Mediterranean starting in Barcelona, Spain but the hitch is the cost of the flight across the Atlantic.

We met our share of rich Brits on the cruise (remember it use to be the rich Yanks until they started playing the world empire game).There were a lot of Asians also on the cruise.

In these small towns we visited they seemed to be overrun with Asian owned jewelry shops. Lots of them on the main streets.

Cheers
WOW thanks cheers, that was a great update of your cruise, and now you want to go to Durango ---- cowboy country ---- even before the salt water is out of your system
Good for you and DW ---- just goes to show we are only as old as we feel,
Im joining the 70's crowd on Sunday, I will be 70 me, mum and Nephew and his wife will be taking a nice drive to East Meon in the country for a nice Pub carvery lunch, and a few beers should be a nice sunny day on Sunday
Old Jun 4th 2015, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
We listed ours on April 9th and had two offers in hand on April 18th. After a bit of dicking around & negotiating we agreed the sale at 98% of asking on April 24th.

Ours is showing well and looks good but slow area as there are no schools within walking distance. Hoping it goes well too
Old Jun 4th 2015, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Wow, that's exciting, feelbritish! Good luck! I thought you were pretty accepting of staying put, in the end; or that's the last thing I remember (tho I have been away from BE for a bit) so I guess something has changed….
I did try but found that I was very depressed and stressed out and lonely! In the end I had to admit it was not where I want to be. OH is being nice about it and will move but heavens alive, if something goes wrong it is going to be on my shoulders. I think he will be happy once he moves. He hates change and likes things just to stay the same but life is not like that. I do not want to end my days here!
Old Jun 4th 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

We visited Juneau, Ketchikan (will I ever learn to spell that right??), Victoria (very British) and Skagway and of course Seattle. Oh, and one of the Glaciers.
In Junean we took the trip up the mountain in the cable tram and we really liked it. We did a 2 and a half horseback ride while we were in the town of Skagway which is the first time I've been on a horse one in 50 years for me. We saw a bear running after its prey. I guess we are not too old if we can do a 2 hour plus ride on horseback at the age of 77. DW is 78 and she loved the ride. I didn't feel very secure in the saddle and I don't think they had adjusted the saddle for me correctly.
DW really enjoyed the 'all you can eat' crab fest in Ketchikan. The staff just keep on bringing the crab out of the kitchen for the tourists to gorge themselves.

I've now only sailed on the Norweigan Cruise ship and I really liked it a lot and I've tried to find some reviews of the other cruise lines but have not been successful. I think I will stay away from Carnival cruiseline for a start.

We have the travel bug so we are going to Durango in Colorado in a couple of weeks. We've heard that it is really nice area and is on our 'bucket list' of things to do before we get old.

Dw is doing the homework on a cruise to the Mediterranean starting in Barcelona, Spain but the hitch is the cost of the flight across the Atlantic.

We met our share of rich Brits on the cruise (remember it use to be the rich Yanks until they started playing the world empire game).There were a lot of Asians also on the cruise.

In these small towns we visited they seemed to be overrun with Asian owned jewelry shops. Lots of them on the main streets.

Cheers
Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic Click on reviews
Old Jun 5th 2015, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I did try but found that I was very depressed and stressed out and lonely! In the end I had to admit it was not where I want to be. OH is being nice about it and will move but heavens alive, if something goes wrong it is going to be on my shoulders. I think he will be happy once he moves. He hates change and likes things just to stay the same but life is not like that. I do not want to end my days here!
Ah ok, feelbritish, this, with your update above, explains it. How great that your OH is willing to move now. I do hope he likes it once you do, and if he himself is British that should surely help?

Once you get to the knowledge "I do not want to end my days here," that is an important step and recognition.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get to the knowledge "I do not want to end my days here," that is an important step and recognition.
Yes it certainly is!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. We decided that almost 10 years ago but have had to wait until now.

Well put.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:36 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Congratulations and good luck with the move. Are you moving to France or NE England?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Feelbritish, when I was in Victoria last week I met someone else who lives there and she is also originally from South Africa. She is the pharmacist @ Gridge Family Pharmacy @ 641 Fort Street. She looks Asian-Indian but she says that link goes way back.(generations).
Anyway you might like to pop in and have chin.

I have been in Victoria several times in the last 40 years and it seems even more English now. Plenty of English double decker buses, 'London' taxi cabs and I saw a Daimler limousine down at the cruise pier. I think a couple of bus drivers were Brits. Love that place because among other things it has a mild temp and lots of green grass and nice neighborhoods.

They also have lots of new high rise condos from when I was last there.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.