Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by curleytops
Hey Jersey, I think what he really wants is a box of Twinkies
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

OdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember the orange ones called Jubbly.
I remember Jubblies too! That was a looong time ago. I think they were actually called Jubilee and we used to get them frozen sometimes. I only remember the orange. Any of you old enough to remember Jamboree Bags with the sweets and a toy inside, or am I in Dad’s Army territory with that one?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OdysseusLite
I remember Jubblies too! That was a looong time ago. I think they were actually called Jubilee and we used to get them frozen sometimes. I only remember the orange. Any of you old enough to remember Jamboree Bags with the sweets and a toy inside, or am I in Dad’s Army territory with that one?
Welcome OdysseusLite (trying to get back to your own Ithaca?).

I think I have a faint memory of Jamboree Bags. I do remember Sherbert Fountains... and pineappple chunks....
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OdysseusLite
The ones I had were definitely called Jubbly.

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Welcome OdysseusLite (trying to get back to your own Ithaca?).

I think I have a faint memory of Jamboree Bags. I do remember Sherbert Fountains... and pineappple chunks....
I remember all of the above...but ours were called Lucky Bags. Maybe Jamboree Bags came later.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 6th 2014 at 12:03 pm. Reason: Fingers not woke up yet this morning.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

The one I had were definitely call Jubbly.

I remember all of the above...but ours were called Lucky Bags. Maybe Jamboree Bags came later.
I was a sucker for lucky bags. Loved (and still do) Sherbet Fountains and also Refreshers.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:17 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love the ha'penny and penny trays. Wee chocolate covered caramels and liquorice filled with sugar/sherbet we're among my favourites. When I was feeling flush I would spring for an MB Bar. That was usually when I was given sixpence to get my can can (fringe) trimmed at the hairdressers on the way home from school. I don't remember how I explained that my can can had not been cut and the money had mysteriously disappeared.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was a sucker for lucky bags. Loved (and still do) Sherbet Fountains and also Refreshers.
Agreed. I also loved Black Jacks and Fruit Salad...4 for 1d...in other words 4 for an old penny.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Sweets what a subject, its something my wife and my sister discuss with me all the time.

I was a black jack and fruit salad fan but loveeeed spearmint chews, I mostly loved chocoalate bars, my sister is the one who would get sixpence worth of rammal, well thats what my Mum called it...

Mum always said I liked Quality and my sister liked quantity, I remember Twix coming out, Id have one of those every day for years, when Mars increased the price of twix bars our pocket money went up to cover the increase, Great Parents hey?...

As soon as we got off the school bus we went into the paper shop or post office to spend our money, my sister would take her time spending 6d, it was painful for me watching her and for Mrs Walker the refined old lady shop assistant who would be opening the jars, flying saucers, 2d worth of sherbert in one of those triangular cone shaped paper bags, some black jacks and fruit salads, sports mixtures and more all for 6d, sometimes she'd change her mind putting things back, Id feel embarresed and leave the shop.

Sometimes on a Sunday after dinner my Dad would fancy something sweet, so he'd give me and my sister money to go to the tuck shop a mile away, Dad usually had a big bar of Cadburys Brazil nut, or some loose Brazil nuts, most of the time Mum would have a quarter of Merry Maid caramels, she loved those and got me hooked, Raspberry ruffles also come to mind, I still love those, Ive got some in the pantry right now. Yum Yum...
Old Oct 6th 2014, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

OdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond repute

The ones I had were definitely called Jubbly.

We called them Jubblies too. And we had Lucky Bags. Don’t know where I got the Jubilee and Jamboree from. Must be going senile. I remember the sherbert fountains. Weren’t they in a yellow tube with a liquorice straw? Those raspberry ruffles were heaven. Black Jacks and Refreshers were great too. Thanks for the memories everyone!
Old Oct 7th 2014, 12:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oooo. Sherbert Fountains.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Sherbert Fountains are still available, I think Bassetts make them, My Brother in Law bought a box of them last year from one of the factory outlets, I think they only cost a fiver...
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Sherbert Fountains are still available, I think Bassetts make them, My Brother in Law bought a box of them last year from one of the factory outlets, I think they only cost a fiver...
..... & Mr BEVS is shortly to make a trip to the UK to spend time with his aged Mother. HHHmmmmmm
Old Oct 7th 2014, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

It's the weight of all this stuff that's the problem these days, lugging it across the pond in your suitcase gets expensive (I found out the hard way four years ago). You just have to be careful not to get too carried away but with all the family requests it's hard not to.

My next North America-bound care package will include Jelly Babies for Dad, sis & bro-in-law, sherbet fountains & refreshers for dad (and perhaps some of those old fashioned anisette tablets if he's good), Battenburg cake and black currant & liquorice sweets for youngest sister and some M & S crumpets for a pal of dad's. Oh, and my Canadian-born brother-in-law is wild about Dolly Mixtures. I might still be able to squeeze in a change of clothes for myself.

Last edited by curleytops; Oct 7th 2014 at 10:21 am. Reason: addition
Old Oct 7th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's the weight of all this stuff that's the problem these days, lugging it across the pond in your suitcase gets expensive (I found out the hard way four years ago). You just have to be careful not to get too carried away but with all the family requests it's hard not to.

My next North America-bound care package will include Jelly Babies for Dad, sis & bro-in-law, sherbet fountains & refreshers for dad (and perhaps some of those old fashioned anisette tablets if he's good), Battenburg cake and black currant & liquorice sweets for youngest sister and some M & S crumpets for a pal of dad's. Oh, and my Canadian-born brother-in-law is wild about Dolly Mixtures. I might still be able to squeeze in a change of clothes for myself.
You are so right Curly, we used to bring back anything and everything 35 years ago, cans of Heinz Beans, Treacle puddings and all the sweets you could mention, boxes of wine gums sometimes two or three, Christmas tins of Quality street and Roses, the cans where much bigger back then, as long as I could lift it we would bring it, Today we are limited but I always ask my sisters what they would like, I try not to dissappoint, The only thing I dont bring back these days is a large number of magazines and newspapers, one time I had 17 magazines, I find UK magazines so interesting.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 4:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

A similar problem is convincing friends and relatives not to give you large or heavy gifts when you are visiting (because you have to fit them in your suitcase when you return!)

I remember being home one Christmas and the day before I left was given a gift of "Billy the Big-Mouth Bass":

(If you are in the office, turn the sound down on your computer before clicking on Play!)

I dutifully lugged it all the way back to the States, where it packed in after about two days.

Just give me socks and I'll be happy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.