British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

maddie1959 May 28th 2015 12:51 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by usbrit2015 (Post 11658768)
Haha, yes! I've got the collywobbles because I'm still going through the 'telling everyone' phase. I just left a message on my daughter's phone, no details mind you, although I'm sure she knows what it's about, she should be calling back soon.

Maddie, I have no idea where I'll be going either. I just know that there's a lot of rooms for rent on spareroom.co.uk, for one, in every area you can think of, so that's going to be where I start. What's nice about that is that most of them include electricity and internet and on a weekly basis with no set minimum on most. I may be able to stay a few days with my cousin in Dorset, but I haven't even told him and his wife about this yet. It shouldn't take too long to get a room though, and the link from islandwoman about the police crime reports is extensive and a great tool to use. I will have to combine staying with my cousin, once I've spoken to him, and a few nights in a hotel to give me time to search for a room, other than that, I'll just have to wing it. Oh dear. Do you have family here, Maddie, that are wanting you to stay or saying go if that's what you want? Makes it hard.

Jasper...how's your mom? Thanks for the great words...makes it all OK...keep calm and press on...yeah!

Novo...yes, you too. I'm sure it'll be at least the middle of July before I can leave, maybe sooner if I can get my car sold. We're crazy.

Wow your brave going to a bed sit !
my mum is there and of course she said i can go stay with her and see how it works ,I must admit im heart broken over that, but understand she is 87 and set in her ways .so me going home after so many years disrupts her life:unsure:

maddie1959 May 28th 2015 1:20 am

Originally Posted by usbrit2015 (Post 11658508)
Hello Fulwood, I looked at the QM2 fares and schedule. Doesn't seem to be less expensive at this time of year, but what a good thought it was...I'd never thought of sailing. I once sailed on the Sylvania from Liverpool to New York in the 70s. Quite a crossing!! Gale force 8 winds!...once I got over my seasickness, I enjoyed every rough minute of it though.

Well, just got back from my apartment interview, I'm such an emotional person, I shed a few tears, 'cause I decided not to take it, especially not in my state of mind at the moment. Not sure if the tears were from being worried about the finality of my decision or facing up to my choice with my family, again. The place was lovely, though, out in the country, it's independent living and the apartment is a really nice size. There's mostly women in the building--would be nice with a little more diversity, and grocery shopping is about 15 minutes away. Good government benefits in Connecticut for the elderly/senior housing. Under normal circumstances I would have snatched it up. Well, I guess I'm now going to do what you said Jasper about sorting, selling and the legal stuff...all of it. I'm even going to leave my Power-Of-Attorney to my daughter in case anything comes up, that way she can handle it for me. Also, being in an AT&T (mobile) contract, I have to figure out what to do with that as well. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Stomach churning....I'm scared to death, haha

just a thought have you considered house pet sitting ?
I have joined three different sites looking for long term , but there are a lot of short term week, two week assignments you could go from house sit to house sit and have the company of furry friends until you find were you want to be long term , also a great way to travel .

Novocastrian May 28th 2015 1:46 am

Originally Posted by maddie1959 (Post 11658771)
ya six weeks to pack up 37 years worth of my life.I am putting some stuff in storage until I find a job a and place to live then Ill send for it, so fare the hardest part is letting go, its harder then I thought is would be.
Hopefully been in my own country with my own people will be worth the loss :fingerscrossed:

my thoughts are with you, good luck

I hope all goes well for you too.

It's 38 years since we left the UK and my OH retired early 2 years ago (teacher burnout and WFT am I doing this for anyway?).

I retire on July 1st and we'll both be out of here like bats out of hell within a week.

Oh, Canada!

Fish n Chips 56 May 28th 2015 2:35 pm

Good Luck to all three of you, I hope it all works out for you in the U.K.

the1mag May 28th 2015 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by maddie1959 (Post 11658762)
Thanks guys , so many people think Im making a mistake having no Job etc, this really does help to curb the panic.

ANYONE have advice/ experience with bringing a cat though France its the only way I can get him to Europe without putting him in cargo,which I dont want to do .up tp now the only way I can find is fly to Paris and try to find someone to drive me though the tunnel or ferry as no foot passengers allowed with a pet ?
:eek::fingerscrossed:

I came from Halifax NS to the UK about eight months ago. I really didn't want to have my 20 year old cat travel in cargo but couldn't deal with going via Paris etc so ended up with her in cargo and I think it was actually better for her than being in a small carrier under a seat where she couldn't move around and might have gotten upset by all the commotion going on around her. I travelled Icelandair which has a really good reputation for handling animals and she was just fine when I picked her up at the other end.
Feel free to PM if you have any questions about this or moving back after 40 plus years in Canada and the US.
Maggie

usbrit2015 May 28th 2015 6:28 pm

Unlike most people, Maddie, I'm not an animal lover. I don't mind animals, I just don't want one myself. I'm probably missing out on something that so many people get a lot of pleasure from, and to see that you're as concerned about your cat as much as you would another family member is admirable. I hope you can work it out. the1mag seems to have had a good experience with her cat... perhaps that's the way to go.

usbrit2015 Jun 2nd 2015 4:57 am

Got my ticket for July 19. It's a one-way ticket on WOW airlines (an Icelandic airlines company, I think )for $465 including some trip insurance--Boston, Reykyavik (sp?), Gatwick. My knees are shaking and I've got tension headaches. Sounds like a song, My hands are shakin' and my knees are weak, haha.
I've managed to contact a second-cousin who said I should stay with her and her hubby while I look for my room to rent. They're in Sutton, somewhere south of London, what a huge relief to have a place to stay for a few days. Wow!!!...it's happening.

Any news on your cat situation Maddie?

islandwoman120 Jun 2nd 2015 6:56 am

Originally Posted by usbrit2015 (Post 11662999)
Got my ticket for July 19. It's a one-way ticket on WOW airlines (an Icelandic airlines company, I think )for $465 including some trip insurance--Boston, Reykyavik (sp?), Gatwick. My knees are shaking and I've got tension headaches. Sounds like a song, My hands are shakin' and my knees are weak, haha.
I've managed to contact a second-cousin who said I should stay with her and her hubby while I look for my room to rent. They're in Sutton, somewhere south of London, what a huge relief to have a place to stay for a few days. Wow!!!...it's happening.

Any news on your cat situation Maddie?

Well done! and a place to stay - that will make a huge difference to your home coming. As soon as possible, apply for your Bus Pass then you have the transport sorted - can you use your cousin's address for that? :fingerscrossed:

Celticspirit Jun 2nd 2015 7:32 am

Good luck....I hope it's all good for you:-)

between two worlds Jun 2nd 2015 7:51 am

Wow, usbrit, maddie, and novocastrian--all in it at once on various time-scales, deep in the throes of that planning and packing etc that I know so well.

It is SO scary! (And we can hardly compare our own situation as we already had a small property of our own to go to, which made it much easier…)

Hats off to you and good luck and keep posting on here…in the middle of it, you can't imagine that you will ever get through and out the other side…but you WILL!

Maddie, re the cat: we brought our cat from France to UK with a company called pets2go2.

They are a British-run company specializing in taking pets to and from UK for expat Brits living in France and Spain. They pick your pet up from where you are--or near where you are if you are deep in a city with maze of streets, we meet them at a highway services just outside our city--and drive it through the tunnel and will take it right to your desired destination in UK. The van is a converted police dog van. Two people travel with the pets and sleep in the van with them at stopovers. The van is heated (at least the one they used for us had just had heating installed).
I have heard that just sometimes an owner can also travel in the van if just one person…
Anyway, I have no connection with them, this is not advertising, it is just that we used them and it worked out well for us.

usbrit2015 Jun 2nd 2015 3:13 pm

Many thanks everyone. Yes, Between, I'm going through the really scary bit. Just heard from my cousin in Dorset, who's just said he'd be there to help out in any way and I can stay with him and his wife while I'm getting myself situated. Even said to try to find somewhere close so that we could see each other more often. Where I was looking to find a rent, was two hours away. So now I'll concentrate my search with that in mind. Thank you Lord.

islandwoman120 Jun 2nd 2015 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by usbrit2015 (Post 11663556)
Many thanks everyone. Yes, Between, I'm going through the really scary bit. Just heard from my cousin in Dorset, who's just said he'd be there to help out in any way and I can stay with him and his wife while I'm getting myself situated. Even said to try to find somewhere close so that we could see each other more often. Where I was looking to find a rent, was two hours away. So now I'll concentrate my search with that in mind. Thank you Lord.

See - if you don't ask, you don't get! You asked, you got + an invitation to live close to family. Great stuff!!

between two worlds Jun 2nd 2015 7:48 pm

And Dorset is really nice!

not2old Jun 2nd 2015 8:36 pm

Find your roots making your way up North to dip your toe into the 'Sankey Canal' while hearing the bells of the Beechams clock ... then you'll know you are home;)

Good luck to you :thumbsup:

not2old Jun 2nd 2015 8:37 pm

Find your roots in making your way up North to dip your toe into the 'Sankey Canal' while hearing the bells of the Beechams clock ... then you'll know you are home;)

Good luck to you :thumbsup: