Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 27th 2014, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

My husband has always put a brave face on our move, but just today he said, "Instead of all the hassle of coming here, why didn't I just go into X X's office and tell him exactly what I needed?"
Old May 27th 2014, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Cheers, Windsong....No I dont think so. At one point I thought it was curleytops but dont think thats right. Someone did mention her a few weeks ago, she had been back a couple of years but has bad health and was in and out of hospital, I think one of the reasons for returning was her health problems.
Ohh maybe Quoll?
Old May 27th 2014, 4:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Ohh maybe Quoll?
Pretty sure it was Whofan - there were a couple of posts a few pages back about how she hadn't been on in a while.
Old May 27th 2014, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue, small world. Preston is my part of the world as I lived in Fulwood from 1969 until moved to US in 1984. I will be in Preston in June and July of this year. I only asked because in US many veterans are in facilities and not aware there is money for themselves to help with costs of assisted living etc. I know that cos in my former life worked with seniors using my degree in Gerontology. Now I work with kids of all ages and disabilities and love it.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty, you have a point when you say we could at least urge would-be emigrators to think carefully. I did this on the USA forum the other day, in response to a poster who, with his wife, hadn't seemed (to me) to really think carefully enough about why they wanted to go to the USA.

Bev, that is indeed a brave post by the person in NZ who after 6 months is sure she and her husband made a mistake. The important thing is --and it's hard--to distinguish between the normal ups and downs of adjusting, and the knowledge that it is really a big mistake.

Then it takes courage to go back home, which apparently will be seen by many other Brits as strange, incomprehensible, even a sort of failure....

Anyway, yes, people thinking the grass is greener elsewhere should be encouraged to think about why they are feeling that way....and to look at things they take for granted in UK, and really try and think what life will be like without them.
Old May 27th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Pretty sure it was Whofan - there were a couple of posts a few pages back about how she hadn't been on in a while.
I agree, sounds like Whofan (wasn't me) but just got to thinking if perhaps it was aries?
Old May 27th 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I agree, sounds like Whofan (wasn't me) but just got to thinking if perhaps it was aries?
Yes, I think it was Aries and not Quoll whom I quoted. Got the wrong name. Either that or WhoFan.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Spouse of Scouse,

What a wonderful story of how you and your husband met and fell in love! Just beautiful.

On the topic of your dog. One of my good school friends moved to Oz with her family, they had a beautiful golden retriever who they really adored but who they did not want to put through the stress of the trip. Money was no issue it was purely that they didn't want to put her through it. So she came to live with us, we did a trial run she did great and so it was agreed she would become ours. Absolutely wonderful, wonderful dog who we loved just as much as her first family. It was really hard for her first family to leave her but they had the comfort of updates from us and they knew it was the right thing for her. I saw first hand that as long as a dog is loved and well cared for by whoever they are with they do great!

Do what you know is right for your dog, whether that be to bring or re-home you and your husband are the ones who know what would be best
Thanks so much dunroving, NiHao, between two worlds and trotty true - writing about Murphy and reading yours and other posters experiences and thoughts has done a lot to help Scouse and I realize that sticking our heads in the sand won't make this decision any easier.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks so much dunroving, NiHao, between two worlds and trotty true - writing about Murphy and reading yours and other posters experiences and thoughts has done a lot to help Scouse and I realize that sticking our heads in the sand won't make this decision any easier.
Whatever you decide, remember that your beloved dog loves "you"!

For myself, I decided to stay until I was able take my pets with me. I could never do otherwise.
Old May 27th 2014, 2:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Trotty, you have a point when you say we could at least urge would-be emigrators to think carefully. I did this on the USA forum the other day, in response to a poster who, with his wife, hadn't seemed (to me) to really think carefully enough about why they wanted to go to the USA.

Bev, that is indeed a brave post by the person in NZ who after 6 months is sure she and her husband made a mistake. The important thing is --and it's hard--to distinguish between the normal ups and downs of adjusting, and the knowledge that it is really a big mistake.

Then it takes courage to go back home, which apparently will be seen by many other Brits as strange, incomprehensible, even a sort of failure....

Anyway, yes, people thinking the grass is greener elsewhere should be encouraged to think about why they are feeling that way....and to look at things they take for granted in UK, and really try and think what life will be like without them.
Agree with all of that and I think trotty true's idea is terrific. People in the UK who are thinking of moving to Australia and post on the Oz site often receive a variety of responses, some of them including the negatives and suggestions that the poster thinks about why they want to make the move, what they are expecting etc.

Some of these responses have unfortunately led to the OP becoming upset. I think this is because people have been excited about their move and when they ask for tips on Australia, they don't expect to get replies that they perceive as negative and discouraging.

A forum that's specifically for people thinking of moving from the UK, one that's been established to give advice and knowledge about the good, the bad and the ugly, would probably mainly attract posters who are open to all ideas. BE members from all countries could be encouraged to respond to posters that are thinking of moving to 'their' country. I think it'd be a goer!
Old May 27th 2014, 2:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by windsong
Whatever you decide, remember that your beloved dog loves "you"!

For myself, I decided to stay until I was able take my pets with me. I could never do otherwise.
Thanks windsong, I read your earlier reply and it's obvious that you love your pets very much
Old May 27th 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks so much for the lovely welcome everyone Places like this are gold, aren't they? I'm fairly active on the Oz forum, not that I'm particularly useful! I mainly just try to give new arrivals, and those going home, a bit of advice about Oz stuff.

Fish and Chips, I'm probably going to sound silly but I don't think Murphy (dog/friend) would be able to handle the long haul flights. As uncommon as it is for the breed, he's always been terrified of traveling in cars, and that's with one of us with him to (trying to) reassure him. Trips to the vet, even when he's not sick and just going for immunization shots, are such an ordeal for him. He trembles violently and froths at the mouth. We used to get a vet that did home visits but then a vet opened closer to us, so we walk him there now. It takes about half an hour each way so our vet always gives us the earliest appointment in summer, and we take water so he can have a drink on the way.
Spouse, We moved back to the USA in 1989 with no intentions of retuning, we left our little dog (Toby) with my parents, he was 9 years old at the time, he was timid and a very bad traveler too, (sick in the car etc) we couldn't subject him to the trip and six months in quarantine, my parents really loved him, it seemed like the kindest thing to do, we were greatful my parents would take him as it was the one thing we were struggling with.

Things didn't work out for us in the UK, we returned to the USA 7 months after leaving, we could see my parents didn't want to give Toby up and hadn't the heart to ask, from there on he lived with my parents, we lived just around the corner so it all worked out good for Toby, we would have him when my parents left town, Toby lived to be 19 years old.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Spouse, We moved back to the USA in 1989 with no intentions of retuning, we left our little dog (Toby) with my parents, he was 9 years old at the time, he was timid and a very bad traveler too, (sick in the car etc) we couldn't subject him to the trip and six months in quarantine, my parents really loved him, it seemed like the kindest thing to do, we were greatful my parents would take him as it was the one thing we were struggling with.

Things didn't work out for us in the UK, we returned to the USA 7 months after leaving, we could see my parents didn't want to give Toby up and hadn't the heart to ask, from there on he lived with my parents, we lived just around the corner so it all worked out good for Toby, we would have him when my parents left town, Toby lived to be 19 years old.
That's a lovely story fish and chips (except the bit about the UK not working out). Toby obviously had a great life with your parents - 19 is a very good age!
Old May 27th 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi cheers,
Mums getting much better thanks to the physio therapists coming around every day to put mum through her exersises, she has progressed from her walking frame to a walking stick, and her appetite has returned to normal, she is gradually learning to look after herself rather then relying on me for everything,
yesterday it was a lovely day, blue skies and sunshine and I got Mum outside in the garden for the first time in over 2 months, and together we were pulling out all the weeds, we had fun doing it too, then after that we sat on the garden bench and enjoyed the sunshine and listening to the birds sing and admiring our garden,
Today though its raining quite heavy, but I love it!!! I love the constant change in our skies, the white patchy clouds that turn into dark clouds in minutes, a perfectly blue sky that can change into a cloudy sky in 10 or 15 minutes, rain one day, sunny the next, a week of rain then a few days of sun,
Lovely!!!!!
Art my friend had to return to the States early cause he had a family emergency, but it was nice having him stay with us while he was here!!!
Take care cheers,
Rodney.
So happy to hear your mum is on the mend. How happy she must be to have you near. Loved your description of the changing sky. You are quite poetic, sir
Old May 27th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Jasper123,

Glad to hear your Mum is doing better
Thanks for the kind thoughts!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.