Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old May 24th 2014, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
I agree so why are we not there to enjoy it?
Because you have your own lovely flowers in the desert - go outside and look at them and send us some photos.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:41 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Because you have your own lovely flowers in the desert - go outside and look at them and send us some photos.
Or you could look here !

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...ry.php?cat=631

Mostly taken in Arizona and Utah.
Old May 24th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of reasons why we are not able to enjoy it, its not our time yet we have to enjoy what we have. Always beauty in nature no matter were you live its just being able to see it.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Or you could look here !

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...ry.php?cat=631

Mostly taken in Arizona and Utah.
Lovely! Thanks for posting, so that people remember that the US has awesome flowers, not just the UK. I was privileged to live for 18 months in the woods in northern MN - tiny cottage set in amongst lovely wildflowers and wild animals too. I will never forget the experience.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone, after some encouragement from some of the regulars on this thread I'm just popping in to introduce myself. In preparation I've just read around 50 pages of this thread - so many different stories and what a nice group of people you are.

As my nic suggests, I'm married to a Liverpool lad (Bill), he's 65 this year and I'm 56. Bill, his wife and their 2 young boys moved to Australia in 1990. It was difficult for him to find work in Liverpool and he spent a lot of time in other parts of the UK, and abroad, where the work was. They decided to apply for an Oz permanent visa and made the trek over here.

Sadly, Bill's wife passed away some years ago. He loved her dearly and had taken a year off work to look after her when she became very ill. After his wife passed away Bill became a bit of a loner, rarely going out or mixing with people. A year later, he was invited (ordered!) by his good mate to pick himself up, dust himself off, and come to his son's 21st birthday party at a pub. At the last minute the venue was changed, and they ended up at a pub called the Queens.

That same day, there was an Aussie woman (me!) who was on leave from work, sitting in her newly rented apartment, having worked up the courage to leave a very unhappy 32 year marriage, 3 months prior. My life for those years was focused on providing for my kids as my ex-husband rarely worked. Socializing was rare as he didn't like going out and meeting people. Me going out with friends alone was out of the question - quite simply, I wasn't 'allowed' to.

On the day in question, I had a phone call from one of the very good friends I'd made at work. A lovely man, camp as a row of tents and so much fun to be with. He used to ring me up and say 'frock up darling, we're going dancing!' I resisted at first - 50 year old women don't 'frock up' and go dancing in nightclubs - do they? Well this woman eventually did, and she literally had the time of her life.

When I got his phone call on this day, he asked if I'd like to meet him at the Queens that evening for a drink. It'd only be a quick one he said, as he had to get up at some ungodly hour to train (swimming).

We met at the Queens, had a few pints, and then he said it was time to go, he'd drop me off home. Mouse me dug my heels in. I was having a lovely night, I was still getting used to being able to do what I liked, when I liked, and I was not going home! He tried to dissuade me but I had my stubborn hat off, so off he went.

Of course, that meant I was sitting alone. In a pub. Alone in a pub. Something I'd never done before. So I did the only sensible thing, and went and hid in the loo for half an hour.

Gave myself a talking to while I was in there, decided to be brave so went to the bar, got myself a drink and wandered outside to the beer garden. There was a group of young people, and a couple of older blokes, sitting around a big table and having a great time. To this day I still can't believe that I walked over to them, said I was on my own, and asked if I could join them.

Bill, of course, was one of the older blokes. And at the risk of sounding like a Mills and Boon novel, we fell in love. Just like that. He is the kindest, dearest person and was worth waiting 50 years for

We've been married 2 years now, have travelled a lot including several trips to Liverpool where I've met his family - I love them and thankfully they feel the same way about me. Bill always knew he'd go back home - he appreciates the opportunities that Australia has given him and the kids but it's not home. I love Liverpool too, the place and especially the people.

So! We're selling up and retiring to Liverpool. We've bought an off-plan apartment on the Mersey waterfront which is due for completion June 2015. We'd like to move then, but we have a 9 year old golden retriever that we don't think we could leave behind. He was Bill's dog but since I moved in he's decided that he's both of ours One of Bill's sons would happily have him - bit too hard to think about, we'll see how the land lies when the flat/development is finished.

Sorry about the essay! I get a bit carried away when I write. Anyway, that's us. Someone kindly suggested that it'd be useful to get the non-Brit member of a couple's views about moving back, settling into a new country etc. I'll certainly do that, and in shorter posts too And will no doubt be asking questions and seeking opinions as well.

Cheers
Old May 24th 2014, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

SOS, glad you finally joined us! Loved your story. OH and I also met in circumstances that can only be described as fate. Really gives you hope when things are rough - you never know what new and wonderful thing may come around the corner and give life that shine again
Old May 24th 2014, 8:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse of Scouse. What a great story. I am pleased that you found happiness with Bill. I have known a few Scousers over the years and I always enjoy their company. Love the sense of humour. I'm glad you have joined this thread and hope you will hang around with us. It goes a bit quiet, from time to time, but it is always nice when new people join as it helps to keep the thread alive for those making the big move "at a certain age"
Old May 24th 2014, 10:41 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hello everyone, after some encouragement from some of the regulars on this thread I'm just popping in to introduce myself. In preparation I've just read around 50 pages of this thread - so many different stories and what a nice group of people you are.

As my nic suggests, I'm married to a Liverpool lad (Bill), he's 65 this year and I'm 56. Bill, his wife and their 2 young boys moved to Australia in 1990. It was difficult for him to find work in Liverpool and he spent a lot of time in other parts of the UK, and abroad, where the work was. They decided to apply for an Oz permanent visa and made the trek over here.

Sadly, Bill's wife passed away some years ago. He loved her dearly and had taken a year off work to look after her when she became very ill. After his wife passed away Bill became a bit of a loner, rarely going out or mixing with people. A year later, he was invited (ordered!) by his good mate to pick himself up, dust himself off, and come to his son's 21st birthday party at a pub. At the last minute the venue was changed, and they ended up at a pub called the Queens.

That same day, there was an Aussie woman (me!) who was on leave from work, sitting in her newly rented apartment, having worked up the courage to leave a very unhappy 32 year marriage, 3 months prior. My life for those years was focused on providing for my kids as my ex-husband rarely worked. Socializing was rare as he didn't like going out and meeting people. Me going out with friends alone was out of the question - quite simply, I wasn't 'allowed' to.

On the day in question, I had a phone call from one of the very good friends I'd made at work. A lovely man, camp as a row of tents and so much fun to be with. He used to ring me up and say 'frock up darling, we're going dancing!' I resisted at first - 50 year old women don't 'frock up' and go dancing in nightclubs - do they? Well this woman eventually did, and she literally had the time of her life.

When I got his phone call on this day, he asked if I'd like to meet him at the Queens that evening for a drink. It'd only be a quick one he said, as he had to get up at some ungodly hour to train (swimming).

We met at the Queens, had a few pints, and then he said it was time to go, he'd drop me off home. Mouse me dug my heels in. I was having a lovely night, I was still getting used to being able to do what I liked, when I liked, and I was not going home! He tried to dissuade me but I had my stubborn hat off, so off he went.

Of course, that meant I was sitting alone. In a pub. Alone in a pub. Something I'd never done before. So I did the only sensible thing, and went and hid in the loo for half an hour.

Gave myself a talking to while I was in there, decided to be brave so went to the bar, got myself a drink and wandered outside to the beer garden. There was a group of young people, and a couple of older blokes, sitting around a big table and having a great time. To this day I still can't believe that I walked over to them, said I was on my own, and asked if I could join them.

Bill, of course, was one of the older blokes. And at the risk of sounding like a Mills and Boon novel, we fell in love. Just like that. He is the kindest, dearest person and was worth waiting 50 years for

We've been married 2 years now, have travelled a lot including several trips to Liverpool where I've met his family - I love them and thankfully they feel the same way about me. Bill always knew he'd go back home - he appreciates the opportunities that Australia has given him and the kids but it's not home. I love Liverpool too, the place and especially the people.

So! We're selling up and retiring to Liverpool. We've bought an off-plan apartment on the Mersey waterfront which is due for completion June 2015. We'd like to move then, but we have a 9 year old golden retriever that we don't think we could leave behind. He was Bill's dog but since I moved in he's decided that he's both of ours One of Bill's sons would happily have him - bit too hard to think about, we'll see how the land lies when the flat/development is finished.

Sorry about the essay! I get a bit carried away when I write. Anyway, that's us. Someone kindly suggested that it'd be useful to get the non-Brit member of a couple's views about moving back, settling into a new country etc. I'll certainly do that, and in shorter posts too And will no doubt be asking questions and seeking opinions as well.

Cheers
Welcome to the forum-What a lovely story and what a gift for writing you have, can't wait to hear more from you :-)
Old May 25th 2014, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Hello Bills Spouse and Welcome, I'm sure glad you've joined the thread, I love a good love story, yours is a beauty...

Why not take your dog?

I hope the UK treats you well when the time comes, again welcome to the thread.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lovely story Spouse, you and Bill sound really happy. Isn't it amazing how a simple every day action can have such a profound effect on your life! So glad you plucked up the courage to come out of the loo when you did.
Old May 25th 2014, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

spouse of scouse,
WOW what an introduction!!!! and a great post, thats the kind of post we love on here, a true story about a little of your life,
A great big welcome to you and hubby, and I hope your lives in England will turn out to be very happy for you both,
Anyway keep those posts coming!!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 25th 2014, 11:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the lovely welcome everyone Places like this are gold, aren't they? I'm fairly active on the Oz forum, not that I'm particularly useful! I mainly just try to give new arrivals, and those going home, a bit of advice about Oz stuff.

Fish and Chips, I'm probably going to sound silly but I don't think Murphy (dog/friend) would be able to handle the long haul flights. As uncommon as it is for the breed, he's always been terrified of traveling in cars, and that's with one of us with him to (trying to) reassure him. Trips to the vet, even when he's not sick and just going for immunization shots, are such an ordeal for him. He trembles violently and froths at the mouth. We used to get a vet that did home visits but then a vet opened closer to us, so we walk him there now. It takes about half an hour each way so our vet always gives us the earliest appointment in summer, and we take water so he can have a drink on the way.

I hope everyone's had a bit of sunshine today (literal and metaphorical) The looong, hot WA summer has finally given up the ghost and we're getting chilly nights and cool days. And rain, blessed rain! Water is more precious than gold here.
Old May 25th 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I think Rodney has a girlfriend and that's why he doesn't contribute as much anymore

Cheers
Ha Ha Ha ----------------------- I should be so lucky!!!!!

On the pay check thing, I used to love those little brown envelopes with the money in, when I left school at 15 in 1960 my pay was £2.10s in envelope I got two one pound notes and a 10 shilling note, and the next year I got a raise of one shilling and sixpence and so there was a little silver in there too,
The last time I worked in UK was 1974 that was the year I started my life in USA
and we still got paid in cash in envelope,

Everyone remember I had to cancel my flight to Texas cause my 95 year old Mum had another fall at home after her accident playing bowls, so I ddidn'tthink it a good Idea to leave, so I have no plans at moment to reschedule my trip, not this year though!!!!

Im amazed at how many pages I had to go back to catch up with all the posts, it took a lot of reading, reminds me of the old days in 2009 when I joined this thread
And so many new posters breathing life into this thread ------- to all of you please keep breathing

Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 25th 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the lovely welcome everyone Places like this are gold, aren't they? I'm fairly active on the Oz forum, not that I'm particularly useful! I mainly just try to give new arrivals, and those going home, a bit of advice about Oz stuff.

Fish and Chips, I'm probably going to sound silly but I don't think Murphy (dog/friend) would be able to handle the long haul flights. As uncommon as it is for the breed, he's always been terrified of traveling in cars, and that's with one of us with him to (trying to) reassure him. Trips to the vet, even when he's not sick and just going for immunization shots, are such an ordeal for him. He trembles violently and froths at the mouth. We used to get a vet that did home visits but then a vet opened closer to us, so we walk him there now. It takes about half an hour each way so our vet always gives us the earliest appointment in summer, and we take water so he can have a drink on the way.

I hope everyone's had a bit of sunshine today (literal and metaphorical) The looong, hot WA summer has finally given up the ghost and we're getting chilly nights and cool days. And rain, blessed rain! Water is more precious than gold here.
I think your dog would rather be with his owners, the people he loves, than be left behind. Of course, so many things can happen between now and then.

Love your story and the way you told it!

Last edited by windsong; May 25th 2014 at 2:10 pm.
Old May 25th 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I think your dog would rather be with his owners, the people he loves, than be left behind.
I dunno... I have a dog and when we go on holiday she goes to a host family to stay and I also act as a host family so have dogs come to stay with me when their owners are on holiday.

From my experience of the way my dog is both when she goes off on holiday and when she comes back, along with how the dogs are that come to us on holiday (perfectly relaxed and happy - never yet seen one come anything close to 'pining') I actually would have no qualms about re-homing a dog (with a suitable family) if that was necessary.

But - each to their own - no right or wrong thing to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.