Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks trottytrue for being the founder of this thread, over the years it and its people have helped me through a lot of tough times, and I feel very fortunate to have had the good luck to meet you all,
Yes indeed - thank you trotty! We may have never met each other, as you say Rodney, but I have come to regard many of you as friends. I am grateful to have the companionship as I slowly make my way back home
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Long live the wonderful NHS, it may not be perfect in every way and it may not keep everyone happy, it does as much as it can and goes overbored in many cases... The Brits should be very proud of their medical system...
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

A big thanks for all the kind sentiments given by Avril, Islandwoman, Don, IF1, perthhomeschool, fish & chips, derrygal, BTW, feelbritish, and windsong, and curlytops,
I have showed all your thoughtful and lovely sentiments to my Mum, thank you all, it cheered her up no end, she wants me to thank you all for all your lovely kind wishes, and she said I am very lucky to have you all as my friends,
she is certainly right about that!!! and not just of course the 10 people who posted but everyone else on this thread,
Thanks,
Rodney.
PS Im busy getting the spare bedroom ready for my good friend Art, he comes in Sunday, Mums also looking forward to seeing him again, its been 9 years since she last was over in Vegas on my 60th Birthday and since she last saw Art, they get on well together, over the years though Art has kept in touch with Mum on the phone,
PS
CHEERS is our official flight checker so cheers here is Arts flight details ------
Hes taking a flight from Texas to New York tomorrow, and he is staying with his Sister for a few days to rest up and then he leaves Newark on sat may 3rd and arrives Heathrow terminal 4 at 7.40am on Sunday may 4th United Airlines flight #UA29

Last edited by Pollyana; May 7th 2014 at 11:50 am. Reason: fixing the quotes
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Today I took my camera to places few tourists go, and some places I wish I had not gone to! Here is my little town, seen at it's worst and sometimes at it's best - but you will have to look hard for the latter: https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644422764052/
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Today I took my camera to places few tourists go, and some places I wish I had not gone to! Here is my little town, seen at it's worst and sometimes at it's best - but you will have to look hard for the latter: https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644422764052/
Looks good to me except for a small amount of trash.
Thanks again for the photos, especially the two showing the trains.
Do you ever get stung buy the nettles?
Cheers
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the worst you got, then you are very lucky! It looks very clean despite the roots and the odd dumping ground! Lovely pictures complete with character! I would be happy to walk through one of those alleyways!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jasper123;11238317]
A big thanks for all the kind sentiments given by Avril, Islandwoman, Don, IF1, perthhomeschool, fish & chips, derrygal, BTW, feelbritish, and windsong, and curlytops,

I have showed all your thoughtful and lovely sentiments to my Mum, thank you all, it cheered her up no end, she wants me to thank you all for all your lovely kind wishes, and she said I am very lucky to have you all as my friends,
she is certainly right about that!!! and not just of course the 10 people who posted but everyone else on this thread,
Thanks,
Rodney.
PS Im busy getting the spare bedroom ready for my good friend Art, he comes in Sunday, Mums also looking forward to seeing him again, its been 9 years since she last was over in Vegas on my 60th Birthday and since she last saw Art, they get on well together, over the years though Art has kept in touch with Mum on the phone,
PS
CHEERS is our official flight checker so cheers here is Arts flight details ------
Hes taking a flight from Texas to New York tomorrow, and he is staying with his Sister for a few days to rest up and then he leaves Newark on sat may 3rd and arrives Heathrow terminal 4 at 7.40am on Sunday may 4th United Airlines flight #UA29
It is like we know your mum too Rodney! Happy times to you and Art
Old May 2nd 2014, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, May Day came and went. It is raining down here in Devon - at least it is in Dawlish, my little adopted town by the seaside - so I am extrapolating that to the rest of the county.

I am off to the Senior Voice Information Fair today, as a representative of our fledgling Dawlish U3A! We will be officially up and running next week, on May 8th. I am so busy these days I have to decline invitations to join other groups or meet friends for a meal. Hopefully that will soon be reversed, once all the set up activity for this new organisation is in place.

If you are new to this thread this will not mean much to you, but for the old timers on here, a year ago I was despondent and thinking of relocating back to Frome due to the lack of interesting things to do locally, not having a friend, and not having anyone to hold an intelligent conversation with. This thread got their collective hat on and gave me suggestions, one of which was to organise a group for newcomers to the area. Well, the U3A is not exactly that, but the people who have joined are all new to each other, and all new to me - so essentially the same end result: meet new people.

On another thread on BE it was suggested that the posters come on over here and join in the conversation, but it was felt that on here we are friends having a chat with each other - which we are, but as I just detailed, if you have a query, are concerned, are despondent: ask us! We have the collective Wisdom of The Ages (!) to call upon. Thanks to all who helped me get this far - it has been a long, sometimes lonely, journey, but in spite of the twists and turns, I have made it. Even in disaster - such as the lack of railway links for many months, and destruction all around caused by natural events, I got some great photos. You are usually in my mind when I go out and about with my camera - I feel that I am being an ambassador for the area, and creating a travelog. The steam trains will be through on the weekend - the first one for the season slowed down upon entering Dawlish (it does not stop here), blew it's horn, and all the passengers leaned out of the windows and waved small Union Jacks! How appropriate, and how kind that was. These last few months has been like a scene from The Railway Children, and I hope that never ends.
Old May 2nd 2014, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, May Day came and went. It is raining down here in Devon - at least it is in Dawlish, my little adopted town by the seaside - so I am extrapolating that to the rest of the county.

I am off to the Senior Voice Information Fair today, as a representative of our fledgling Dawlish U3A! We will be officially up and running next week, on May 8th. I am so busy these days I have to decline invitations to join other groups or meet friends for a meal. Hopefully that will soon be reversed, once all the set up activity for this new organisation is in place.

If you are new to this thread this will not mean much to you, but for the old timers on here, a year ago I was despondent and thinking of relocating back to Frome due to the lack of interesting things to do locally, not having a friend, and not having anyone to hold an intelligent conversation with. This thread got their collective hat on and gave me suggestions, one of which was to organise a group for newcomers to the area. Well, the U3A is not exactly that, but the people who have joined are all new to each other, and all new to me - so essentially the same end result: meet new people.

On another thread on BE it was suggested that the posters come on over here and join in the conversation, but it was felt that on here we are friends having a chat with each other - which we are, but as I just detailed, if you have a query, are concerned, are despondent: ask us! We have the collective Wisdom of The Ages (!) to call upon. Thanks to all who helped me get this far - it has been a long, sometimes lonely, journey, but in spite of the twists and turns, I have made it. Even in disaster - such as the lack of railway links for many months, and destruction all around caused by natural events, I got some great photos. You are usually in my mind when I go out and about with my camera - I feel that I am being an ambassador for the area, and creating a travelog. The steam trains will be through on the weekend - the first one for the season slowed down upon entering Dawlish (it does not stop here), blew it's horn, and all the passengers leaned out of the windows and waved small Union Jacks! How appropriate, and how kind that was. These last few months has been like a scene from The Railway Children, and I hope that never ends.
Lovely post, islandwoman! It is so wonderful to see how you have settled in, created a life, found new friends, and are so much happier.

It's also great to see you crediting this thread for help, support, and ideas. Indeed, we are the collective Wisdom of the Ages!

As you know, I've been trying to persuade posters elsewhere--especially those who particularly want to hear from others over 40, 50, 60 etc--to come on here and say hello.

As trotty has also said, yes, we are old friends chatting to each other; but ALSO we are waiting for newcomers who want to share their feelings, worries, etc as they think about/hope for /dream of /plan towards/ coming back!
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wonderful post! So glad you are settling in there now. It just goes to show and I think this applies to most of us returning, we have to put ourselves out there. We have to join groups or make them to meet people. After all we are the newcomers, those that come back and in so many threads people have said that their old friends and family have moved on without them and they suddenly find themselves in a void where they expected to slot right back in again! I am wanting to also join U3A but my area I am going to has a waiting list but I already know I will join an art group, horticultural society and maybe WI! Keep up those lovely photos it is thanks to you that I know Dawlish and it was at one time on the agenda for a retirement place and may still be in years to come!

Thank you to all those posters and friends on here for making this thread such a special one. New people, don't be shy to join us!
Old May 2nd 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here are the latest photos of my little town:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644480012485/
and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/island...7644479938115/

Just a snapshot of two days - one shows the mist coming down from Dartmoor - it is so atmospheric, I just love when it covers the hills at the back of town.
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

A Brilliant post Rosie...

I remember how troubling it was for you when you first went back, Struggling with your luggage at the train station as others just watched you...

I remember the living arrangement hassles, I know you were down, but you hung in and went to Frome, oh yes that place had its issues too, not your fault at all...

I know you were tempted to leave Dawlish and go back to Frome, I thought that would have been a bad idea but couldn't tell you so, I'm so glad you stuck it out, you've worked hard to make your new life happy and successful, you sound happy...

You are a success story, I hope others take a page out of your book...
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

On another thread on BE it was suggested that the posters come on over here and join in the conversation, but it was felt that on here we are friends having a chat with each other - which we are
I'd go along with that. It's a lovely little thread for chit chat . Just a bit of a shame to my way of thinking that some of the posters on here will not step outside of this thread for whatever reason, to contribute to other threads . My personal view only of course.

, but as I just detailed, if you have a query, are concerned, are despondent: ask us!
... and , of course , there is also the whole of the MBBTUK forum isn't there.
The best way really for a person to gain help and support is to start their own thread with their own query or concern in the main MBBTUK forum. That way all the posters to the MBTTUK forum and also those elsewhere in the BE world get to see it almost immediatey. Not just a few on just one thread.

We are all in it together after all .

We have the collective Wisdom of The Ages (!) to call upon.
We do , don't we.

For my own part I like to get out and about the whole of BE for collective wisdom & help and I'm someone knocking 60 this year.

If you've a mind to Island Woman , then perhaps contribute a thread to the Back Home area of the MBTTUK forum. Tell your story , then to now. Not in huge great detail but in general to give people looking in something to aspire to.

That could be immensely uplifting & inspirational to many looking in but who may not post or may not feel comfortable to start posting.

Just a thought
Old May 3rd 2014, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, BEVS - I'll do what you suggest. Maybe I will stop someone making some of the mistakes I did, or offer them the courage to step out into the unknown. I do write privately to any number of posters on the site, not just on this thread, but I do tend to post mainly on here. I shall take a leaf out of dunrovin's book and cruise the board! I see his name on many of the threads I look at.
Old May 3rd 2014, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well said, BEVS and islandwoman.

At the beginning I never left this thread because I was already spending quite a bit of time here and didn't want to get sucked in to a whole lot of other threads as well and find myself doing nothing else!

Before that, in the very early days, I didn't realise how BE worked and how many other threads there were!

More recently I have started looking at other threads and contributing to some.

I do think it's a bit sad though that this "over 40s" thread has slipped into just being chit chat, or seeming that way to people who drop in, because of course that then becomes a self-fulfillling thing. If everyone thinks it's just chit chat, no-one will post an important concern, so then of course there is nothing to do but chit-chat!

Anyway, the whole forum is indeed a great thing and a great community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.