Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 26th 2014, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Our bag was delivered to our door today, and all seems intact, so that is good.

Very muggy indeed here....and stormy.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

They said we are going to get rain and thunder as its very hot and humid here. I wont moan as its not snowing.

I read that house prices are going to go higher as many are not being sold but rented and many of the rentals are owned by more that one person who dont live in the UK. I really dont understand that.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Our bag was delivered to our door today, and all seems intact, so that is good.

Very muggy indeed here....and stormy.
That's great that they delivered your luggage to your house! And that nothing seems to be missing, excellent.

I've just realized that I mixed you up with someone else who lived in Switz. - you lived in France I know remember. Sorry for that!

It's been hot and 'close' here today as well, and there's more on the way apparently. It seems as if we spend 6 months indoors over the winter because of the icy conditions outside, and nearly as much the rest of the year inside because of the humidity, mosquitoes, blackfly, etc. No wonder I'm so unfit - and the treadmill in the basement hasn't been switched on for months and the walking shoes carefully placed close to it are gathering dust, in fact a complete family of dust bunnies are in residence I would suspect!
Old Jun 26th 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenlane
That's great that they delivered your luggage to your house! And that nothing seems to be missing, excellent.

I've just realized that I mixed you up with someone else who lived in Switz. - you lived in France I know remember. Sorry for that!

It's been hot and 'close' here today as well, and there's more on the way apparently. It seems as if we spend 6 months indoors over the winter because of the icy conditions outside, and nearly as much the rest of the year inside because of the humidity, mosquitoes, blackfly, etc. No wonder I'm so unfit - and the treadmill in the basement hasn't been switched on for months and the walking shoes carefully placed close to it are gathering dust, in fact a complete family of dust bunnies are in residence I would suspect!
No problem, greenlane--yes, I lived in France for three years. Hard to keep everyone straight!

we had a storm last night so everything was less humid this morning...
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
They said we are going to get rain and thunder as its very hot and humid here. I wont moan as its not snowing.

I read that house prices are going to go higher as many are not being sold but rented and many of the rentals are owned by more that one person who dont live in the UK. I really dont understand that.
I promised myself that I would not complain about the heat/humidity this summer after the winter we had here.

House prices in some parts of the UK are ridiculous. I don't know how people can afford them. Northern Ireland and Scotland are cheaper, Northern England a little cheaper, but Southern England they are through the roof. I think it is becoming a real problem for many people not being able to put their foot on the bottom rung of the housing ladder.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

It IS a big problem for people starting out. Impossible to buy anything, so everyone is renting. Then if you do want to buy, you are competing with would-be landlords trying to buy-to-let. The prices are crazy, and there isn't enough housing stock on the market.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The housing problem in the UK is pretty much a tale of two countries - the Southeast, and the Rest of the Country.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the Southeast ! Lots of space on my Scottish island - and I can be in the Big City in less than 2 hours by ferry and train !
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Forget the Southeast ! Lots of space on my Scottish island - and I can be in the Big City in less than 2 hours by ferry and train !
I know you told us once before, but i forgot - where exactly are you?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The housing problem in the UK is pretty much a tale of two countries - the Southeast, and the Rest of the Country.
The average 3 bedroom terraced house prices in London they say is now at £400k to £600k where a one bedroom flat in a half decent area of london will cost around 300k - 350k, in the last 12 months on average there has been 15% increase in london property,
But anyone who wants to come and live here in sunny Portsmouth in the south east the average increase in terraced houses have only been around 8% over the past year, and you can pick up a real bargain for around £200k in a half decent area, but if you want to live real close to the sea side then prices climb rapidly, around £200k for a small one bedroom flat to £500k to £600k for an 80 year old terrace house by the sea nothing special!!! in the south east prices like everywhere I suppose depends on location location location and what kind of neighborhood the property is in,
Old Jun 28th 2014, 2:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I know you told us once before, but i forgot - where exactly are you?
scot47 is Lord of Bute.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So I had an accident a few days ago. The pain is killing. What happened is I fell out of bed when I was asleep. Our bed is about 3 feet off the floor so I came down hard. I didn't break any bones but none the less I've been in pain.
So anyone who is moving do you have crib for me?
Cheers
Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So I had an accident a few days ago. The pain is killing. What happened is I fell out of bed when I was asleep. Our bed is about 3 feet off the floor so I came down hard. I didn't break any bones but none the less I've been in pain.
Cheers
I have a "pack and play" for my one year old grandson - not sure you would fit though!! Hope you feel better.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Cheers
I hope you've been to the doctors if not you should do so. You may not think you've done damage but you never know.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I hope you've been to the doctors if not you should do so. You may not think you've done damage but you never know.
Yes, after a day I finally went into Urgent Care and the doctor said the pain was from a muscle connected to the spine. He put me on an over the counter drug called Ibuprofen. I feel a lot improved but not complete.
There was no cost as it is covered by Medicare and my AARP supplemental insurance.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.