British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sallysimmons Aug 23rd 2011 9:47 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Thanks for the link to Lakelandcam cheers. Don't know if you know, but at the bottom of the page there's a link to see all the week's photos. I really think this last 7 days has been one of his best.

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/this_week/thisweek.html

I'll be there in 8 days!!

Elvira Aug 23rd 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9577968)
Thanks for the link to Lakelandcam cheers. Don't know if you know, but at the bottom of the page there's a link to see all the week's photos. I really think this last 7 days has been one of his best.

OMG this is so beautiful!!!

Mummy in the foothills Aug 23rd 2011 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9577968)

Lovely, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
I forgot to ask my Mum what it was like, she went to the lake district on Sunday.

sallysimmons Aug 24th 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9577979)
OMG this is so beautiful!!!

Isn't it?

The guy who runs the site is a retired postman. Every day he gets up early and goes out for a hike with his dog and every single day he posts photos. I've been following for 3 years and I've never known him to miss a day.

trottytrue Aug 24th 2011 4:15 am

Sallysimmons...Lovely photo's.

Fulwood....You do what you feel in your heart you have to do and its not that long till next year.

Derrygal....Perhaps we could all meet up next year. I can go stay with my friend in Chester.

I thought I would give you all a little laugh. I was going over the plans for the next couple of weeks with my husband, does anyone see a flaw in my plans.

30th August house signing.:):):):):)Cant stop smiling..............

3rd September...Garage Sale

10th September Salvation Army do pickup of all furniture not sold. Dressers tables lamps clothes beds chairs and left overs from garage sale.

16th September...Movers come.

19th September move into rental.

Oh Dear:eek: What do we sleep on from the 10th to 19th:rofl::o

:D:D: Sleep on a bed of happiness:

Beedubya Aug 24th 2011 6:31 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9578468)
Sallysimmons...Lovely photo's.

Fulwood....You do what you feel in your heart you have to do and its not that long till next year.

Derrygal....Perhaps we could all meet up next year. I can go stay with my friend in Chester.

I thought I would give you all a little laugh. I was going over the plans for the next couple of weeks with my husband, does anyone see a flaw in my plans.

30th August house signing.Cant stop smiling..............

3rd September...Garage Sale

10th September Salvation Army do pickup of all furniture not sold. Dressers tables lamps clothes beds chairs and left overs from garage sale.

16th September...Movers come.

19th September move into rental.

Oh Dear:eek: What do we sleep on from the 10th to 19th:rofl::o

:D:D: Sleep on a bed of happiness:

I slept on a blow up air mattress my daughter lent me for my last week in my flat, the kind you put a vacuum cleaner in to blow up, quite comfy really, though it was a bit like a water bed that rolled and moved every time you turned over, my daughter said although it was for 2 people it really wasn't suitable as you both end up rolling into the middle. Could be fun though Trotty True LOL!! ;):lol:

sallysimmons Aug 24th 2011 12:05 pm

If only money were limitless you could check into a fab hotel and pamper yourself for a week. Only 6 days to go until the signing!

I just came across this article in the local Cumbrian newspaper:

Readers of one of the country’s top selling leisure magazines have voted the Lake District as the best national park in the country.

The award from the BBC Countryfile magazine put Lake District ahead of all the 14 other national parks – beating the Peak District into second place, followed by Northumberland in third.
Interesting that the three top parks are in the north.

cheers Aug 26th 2011 12:19 am

Pete,

How did you do in the hurricane?

Barb,

Any bites on the job front?

Cheers

cheers Aug 28th 2011 2:19 pm

I was up early and also during the night to get caught up in the excitement of the hurricane and I heard although the government said evacuation was mandatory only half the people left. Now what I think happened is that the American people don't trust the government in anything and they decided to stay.

In another item the New Jersey governor, Chriss, has said he thinks the damage is going to be in the billions of dollars, so I'm thinking federal government aid. How many times have we been told the government is broke and it can't borrow anymore? So I think what we have here is an opportunity by NJ to get money from the feds to make up for their shortages in their state budget.

Another thing, I see on TV cars that are under water. Now these people were told there would be flooding so why were their cars there? Are they trying to collect insurance money on their cars? If there are a lot of claims then my insurance rates are going to go up and that makes me mad. So I say that the insurance companies should tell these people that they are out of luck because they are not going to pay their claims. That will wake them up.

Finally the emotions that are shown by the newscasters, hype, is my view an american thing.

Another thing while I'm at it. In my view a lot of the things that are wrong with American have their roots in New York City so if the storm can wreck those big banks, bring it on.

I'll feel better when I have my breakfast.
Just sayin

sallysimmons Aug 28th 2011 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9586528)
Another thing while I'm at it. In my view a lot of the things that are wrong with American have their roots in New York City so if the storm can wreck those big banks, bring it on.

That's funny because I think a lot of things that are wrong with America have their roots in the red states.

Sorry to disappoint, but so far we're weathering things pretty well here.

cheers Aug 28th 2011 2:37 pm

How do you like the new landmarks in Edinburgh?

A new generations of public open toilets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-11828580

cheers Aug 28th 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9586538)
That's funny because I think a lot of things that are wrong with America have their roots in the red states.

Sorry to disappoint, but so far we're weathering things pretty well here.

Sorry Sally I hope the storm goes right around you.;)

dontheturner Sep 1st 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9586550)
How do you like the new landmarks in Edinburgh?

A new generations of public open toilets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-11828580

Hello Cheers - Cannot post this anywhere else - so as it is chit-chat SMILE for me.:::

I have just applied for planning permission to build a new house.
It's going to be:
* 100ft tall and 400ft wide with 9 turrets at various heights
* Windows all over the place
* On the outside, a very loud entertainment sound system
* With parking for 200 cars
* I'm going to paint it snot green with tatty pink trim
The Council Planning Department told me to forget it!

So I sent in the application again, but this time I called it a Mosque

Work starts on Monday

Don

fulwood Sep 1st 2011 6:38 pm

Don -Im sorry it may not be appropriate but your last email brought a smile to my face..

J.J Sep 2nd 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9594105)
Hello Cheers - Cannot post this anywhere else - so as it is chit-chat SMILE for me.:::

I have just applied for planning permission to build a new house.
It's going to be:
* 100ft tall and 400ft wide with 9 turrets at various heights
* Windows all over the place
* On the outside, a very loud entertainment sound system
* With parking for 200 cars
* I'm going to paint it snot green with tatty pink trim
The Council Planning Department told me to forget it!

So I sent in the application again, but this time I called it a Mosque

Work starts on Monday

Don

Whether the above is true or not it is a fact of life that there are ways and ways to do things...

I am owed 4,000GBP rent arrears by an ex tenant, like Don's story the debtor has found a way around the issue.
The debtor simply ignores the County Court Judgment, he hides when the bailiff calls, he has learned all the 'avoid your debts' guidelines and knows just how to avoid his responsibilities.
And so he continues apparently untouchable, thumbing his nose at me and at the law by using the system to his advantage.
When we went to Court we traveled by bus, he arrived in his company Jag!

It's on my mind today because I had a letter from the bailiff to say he's closed the case because he has no hope of collecting. Didn't offer to refund my £100 though. And the company the guy was director for has closed. I tried one private collection firm and they were not interested in taking the case. I will try others.

fulwood Sep 2nd 2011 4:32 pm

JJ. Sorry to hear what you are going thru with your tenant. 4K is a lot of money and sincerely hope you get the money you are owed and get the bugger served with papers!

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 3rd 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by J.J (Post 9596415)
Whether the above is true or not it is a fact of life that there are ways and ways to do things...

I am owed 4,000GBP rent arrears by an ex tenant, like Don's story the debtor has found a way around the issue.
The debtor simply ignores the County Court Judgment, he hides when the bailiff calls, he has learned all the 'avoid your debts' guidelines and knows just how to avoid his responsibilities.
And so he continues apparently untouchable, thumbing his nose at me and at the law by using the system to his advantage.
When we went to Court we traveled by bus, he arrived in his company Jag!

It's on my mind today because I had a letter from the bailiff to say he's closed the case because he has no hope of collecting. Didn't offer to refund my £100 though. And the company the guy was director for has closed. I tried one private collection firm and they were not interested in taking the case. I will try others.

June...
These are the worst kind of people, I just wish them the worst luck in the World and really hope trouble comes their way, thats what the deserve, whatever happened to honesty and responsiblity, I too hope you get the money, thats the only right outcome.

Good Luck, Fish...

cheers Sep 9th 2011 3:33 pm

I think I saw you in this video taken in the '50's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f81aYqp1zA

fulwood Sep 19th 2011 4:19 am

Need one say more.. Sheer Delight = Downton Abbey:)

curleytops Sep 19th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9629394)
Need one say more.. Sheer Delight = Downton Abbey:)

Can't wait til next Sunday! Anyone care to guess how the evil Mrs. Bates will be dealt with?

sallysimmons Sep 19th 2011 11:16 am

Yikes - don't say anymore please. Most of us haven't seen it yet!

fulwood Sep 20th 2011 1:33 am

sallysimmons I just viewed it on ITV using expatshield. are you waiting for it on PBS? won't say anymore in case I ruin it for you..

sallysimmons Sep 20th 2011 11:15 am

No, I downloaded it from The Box, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Plus I know there are some people who won't be able to see it until it comes on PBS.

cheers Sep 20th 2011 10:00 pm

In 1930 the US was planning on an attack on Britain according to newly released high sensitive documents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-weapons.html

dontheturner Sep 21st 2011 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9633156)
In 1930 the US was planning on an attack on Britain according to newly released high sensitive documents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-weapons.html

Trust the Daily Mail, (and Cheers) !!!

dunroving Sep 21st 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9631913)
No, I downloaded it from The Box, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Plus I know there are some people who won't be able to see it until it comes on PBS.

So they won't know that Bates eloped with Lady Mary, Thomas won the Victoria Cross, and Downton Abbey was turned into a theme park, then. :D

There was a really good program the same day that the new series started (I think the program was a Countrywise special) about the estate that it is filmed on. It is/was owned by Lord Carnaervon (the one from about three generations back was responsible for funding the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb, and died of a mosquito bite shortly after visiting the tomb). Fascinating stories, full of interesting characters (just like Downton Abbey itself).

sallysimmons Sep 21st 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9634546)
So they won't know that Bates eloped with Lady Mary, Thomas won the Victoria Cross, and Downton Abbey was turned into a theme park, then. :D

Well now there's no point in watching!!

I did watch the second Doc Martin last night. I love that show. Also glad there's a new season of QI and really enjoying 'Who Do You Think You Are.'

Englishman43 Sep 21st 2011 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9634610)

I did watch the second Doc Martin last night. I love that show. Also glad there's a new season of QI and really enjoying 'Who Do You Think You Are.'

Sally - how did you view Doc Martin ( sorry if this has already been answered ).

Watched all the ones available in Netflix , up to when Doc & teacher had the baby - and was waiting for the new season.

Is that the season you are watching now ?

cheers Sep 21st 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9634610)

I may be wrong but I think that was a joke by DR???

dunroving Sep 21st 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9634698)

Yes, but I think Sally's irony-detector was working just fine. She was responding in kind (I think - she's not that daft, is she?) :rofl:

cheers Sep 21st 2011 6:00 pm

Maybe I'm the one who is daft!

sallysimmons Sep 21st 2011 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9634698)

Yes, I was kidding too :)

sallysimmons Sep 21st 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9634677)
Sally - how did you view Doc Martin ( sorry if this has already been answered ).

Watched all the ones available in Netflix , up to when Doc & teacher had the baby - and was waiting for the new season.

Is that the season you are watching now ?

No, I'm watching the ones that are showing in the UK now. There have been two episodes so far. I joined The Box and I download all the British shows from there. If you've used bittorrents before, it's easy to use, otherwise it might be a bit confusing.

They open up memberships every once in a while so if it's closed now, it won't be forever.

Englishman43 Sep 21st 2011 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9634769)
No, I'm watching the ones that are showing in the UK now. There have been two episodes so far. I joined The Box and I download all the British shows from there. If you've used bittorrents before, it's easy to use, otherwise it might be a bit confusing.

They open up memberships every once in a while so if it's closed now, it won't be forever.

Yeah that is confusing :o

cheers Sep 21st 2011 7:33 pm

The Doc I watched last night was the one with the funeral. Is that the first one of the new series?
On Downton it is the one showing the trenches in France. Is that the first one?
I don't think I have given the game away and if you do reply right away and I will delete.
Cheers.

dunroving Sep 21st 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9634894)
The Doc I watched last night was the one with the funeral. Is that the first one of the new series?
On Downton it is the one showing the trenches in France. Is that the first one?
I don't think I have given the game away and if you do reply right away and I will delete.
Cheers.

Yes, and Yes. Bates doesn't elope with Lady Mary until next episode. And Doc Martin develops a sense of humour. ;)

sallysimmons Sep 21st 2011 9:01 pm

The Doc you watched was the second one. There was one last week too.

curleytops Sep 22nd 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9634924)
Yes, and Yes. Bates doesn't elope with Lady Mary until next episode. And Doc Martin develops a sense of humour. ;)

:rofl: just :rofl:

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 22nd 2011 9:38 am

Have you guys ever heard the term "Spoiler Alert"???

Some of us are way behind... it would be nice if you could at least use those two words at the start of your post so some of us dont get the storyline ruined.

I certainly wished I hadnt signed on to this thread tonight. lol...

mikelincs Sep 22nd 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9635819)
Have you guys ever heard the term "Spoiler Alert"???

Some of us are way behind... it would be nice if you could at least use those two words at the start of your post so some of us dont get the storyline ruined.

I certainly wished I hadnt signed on to this thread tonight. lol...

There really hasn't been any spoiling, the specific comments are nonsensical and only a bit of a joke, no-one has spoiled anything by saying that there is siomething about the trenches in Downton, as the time is WW1, and that fact that there is a funeral in Doc Martin give nothing away as it doesn't say whose funeral.