British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Sep 17th 2012 3:55 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10285290)
It's not the sports I have to worry about its the non-stop yakking through Corrie and Downton (sometimes) that gets me all riled....however this place we're looking at has a double garage with workshop area so I can always lock him in there :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Does your OH not know that he is committing a serious offence and criminal charges could be laid against him?:lol:

That double garage sounds like the perfect man cave.

lf1 Sep 17th 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10285263)
I know what you mean..........find myself doing the same thing.

After reading Curleytops' post about her OH yakking during Corrie and Downton, I realize that my problems are minor.:)

sile Sep 17th 2012 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10285236)
Well done...it worked perfectly. :thumbsup: It's a nice little feature.

Spoiler:
I hadn't thought of that...but you could be right about his cell mate.

Oh, this hidden spoiler feature is great! Now, is anyone willing to give a synopsis of the show? I am utterly addicted!

I will be trying to get it with expat shield or the other one that was recommended later when I am on my computer. Meanwhile, it would be great to hear what's new in this first episode.

sile Sep 17th 2012 4:09 pm

All you Downton fans...you will probably really enjoy two send-ups of Downton by Jimmy Fallon that were on his show here. You can find them on YouTube. Just type in "Jimmy Fallon Downton Sixbey" .

curleytops Sep 17th 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285333)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Does your OH not know that he is committing a serious offence and criminal charges could be laid against him?:lol:

That double garage sounds like the perfect man cave.

He realizes that he has a serious problem and to his credit has made significant progress in overcoming this disorder over the past couple of years, in other words for the most part he's learned to belt up. :rofl: Oh and what's more, the man cave apparently has its own loo! I'm thinking this house might definitely be the one!

sallysimmons Sep 17th 2012 4:27 pm

My husband isn't a problem that way - he's happy to leave the room when my shows come on. He goes and reads in the bedroom ... anything rather than watch Downton Abbey :)

sile, just go to google.co.uk then type in Downton Abbey.

I must say that

Spoiler:
I loved how they handled the wedding. Not too sappy, not showing too much, and just the right amount of humor. The scene behind the door was wonderful and I loved Matthew being all flirty with Mary - such fun to see after their angsty past.

I was never a fan of the chauffeur character in prior seasons, but I thought he was fabulous last night and really brought a lot to the show.

I think prison suits Mr Bates - he looks quite handsome these days!

curleytops Sep 17th 2012 4:45 pm

Sally
Funny I don't see any spoiler icons on your last post but the tags and text show up in the "quote"
Spoiler:
I had to chuckle over Violet and Isobel joining forces to ambush the chauffer into getting fitted for a morning suit. In the end he did as he was told. I noticed Bates was looking pretty good in prison myself and was wondering if he'd lost weight? If last night's episode is anything to go by, I think we are in for a real treat with season 3.

sile Sep 17th 2012 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10285372)
My husband isn't a problem that way - he's happy to leave the room when my shows come on. He goes and reads in the bedroom ... anything rather than watch Downton Abbey :)

sile, just go to google.co.uk then type in Downton Abbey.

I must say that

Spoiler:
I loved how they handled the wedding. Not too sappy, not showing too much, and just the right amount of humor. The scene behind the door was wonderful and I loved Matthew being all flirty with Mary - such fun to see after their angsty past.

I was never a fan of the chauffeur character in prior seasons, but I thought he was fabulous last night and really brought a lot to the show.

I think prison suits Mr Bates - he looks quite handsome these days!

Oh I can hardly wait to see it!

lf1 Sep 17th 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10285349)
He realizes that he has a serious problem and to his credit has made significant progress in overcoming this disorder over the past couple of years, in other words for the most part he's learned to belt up. :rofl: Oh and what's more, the man cave apparently has its own loo! I'm thinking this house might definitely be the one!

:lol::lol::lol:

That sounds like a dream home, a man cave with a loo! I'd better not tell OH or he will want one too. Snap it up!

lf1 Sep 17th 2012 6:08 pm

This recent discussion about watching TV and OHs just reminded me of when OH and I first moved in together, many moons ago. He had never watched Corrie and could not believe that I would watch such rubbish. Anyway, fast forward a few months and he would be calling me to remind me not to watch Corrie until he got home! His high brow telly halo didn't take long to slip!:lol:

lf1 Sep 17th 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10285348)
All you Downton fans...you will probably really enjoy two send-ups of Downton by Jimmy Fallon that were on his show here. You can find them on YouTube. Just type in "Jimmy Fallon Downton Sixbey" .

Thanks Sile. I'll have to have a look at that when I get the chance.:)

sile Sep 17th 2012 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285531)
Thanks Sile. I'll have to have a look at that when I get the chance.:)

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it. There are two parts....

fulwood Sep 17th 2012 7:21 pm

Vikingsail, is it easy to hook up HDMI cable to TV? My bloody cable bill just went up to 60 bucks and I don't even get premium channels like HBO! I want to get rid of cable and just be able to view UK channels and local US ones. The commercials in the US drive me crazy anyway.

jemima55 Sep 17th 2012 7:39 pm

Fulwood, if its a newish tv it should have an hdmi connection. Ours that we bought five years ago did. I ran a cable from the back of my computer to the television and also plugged in a cable for sound and it worked a treat.

sile Sep 17th 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10285638)
Vikingsail, is it easy to hook up HDMI cable to TV? My bloody cable bill just went up to 60 bucks and I don't even get premium channels like HBO! I want to get rid of cable and just be able to view UK channels and local US ones. The commercials in the US drive me crazy anyway.

Did you know that you hook up a good antenna to your tv and get a LOT of channels, including your locals, in HD? Then you can dump cable, get Netflix for movies and /or whatever else you want. I have done it. I bought a great, small, flat antenna from Amazon and it works really well. You may actually be able to get more PBS stations with the antenna than you can on cable, depending on how may PBS stations broadcast near you.

curleytops Sep 17th 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285528)
This recent discussion about watching TV and OHs just reminded me of when OH and I first moved in together, many moons ago. He had never watched Corrie and could not believe that I would watch such rubbish. Anyway, fast forward a few months and he would be calling me to remind me not to watch Corrie until he got home! His high brow telly halo didn't take long to slip!:lol:

Years ago my Mum and I used to watch that American comedy called SOAP. One night we laughed so hard that my Dad emerged from the basement to see what was going on upstairs and from there on in he was a devoted SOAP fan, never missed it. These days he's hooked on Corrie which is good as at least it gets him out from in front of the Military Channel for half an hour.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 17th 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10285349)

Already it sounds perfect to me and Ive no clue what its like... Sold!

Double garages are rare in the UK, the Bog/lavvy/WC is icing on the cake, so to speak...

curleytops Sep 17th 2012 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10285733)
Already it sounds perfect to me and Ive no clue what its like... Sold!

Double garages are rare in the UK, the Bog/lavvy/WC is icing on the cake, so to speak...

Get yer own man cave fish we saw it first :rofl::rofl:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 17th 2012 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10285683)
Did you know that you hook up a good antenna to your tv and get a LOT of channels, including your locals, in HD? Then you can dump cable, get Netflix for movies and /or whatever else you want. I have done it. I bought a great, small, flat antenna from Amazon and it works really well. You may actually be able to get more PBS stations with the antenna than you can on cable, depending on how may PBS stations broadcast near you.

Thats what we have, Rabbit ears and a conversion box seeing he TV is old, works great. Then online Hulu.
We have 3 PBS stations and a whole host of others. Lots of Spanish, Dd has started watching Spanish cartoons :confused:

lf1 Sep 17th 2012 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10285703)
Years ago my Mum and I used to watch that American comedy called SOAP. One night we laughed so hard that my Dad emerged from the basement to see what was going on upstairs and from there on in he was a devoted SOAP fan, never missed it. These days he's hooked on Corrie which is good as at least it gets him out from in front of the Military Channel for half an hour.

OMG! I had forgotten all about SOAP. Is that where Billy Crystal started out? I think Corrie has an appeal to many as it still has some humour in it. From what I understand, respected actors, like Sir Ian McKellan, have asked to have parts in the show because they recognize the quality of acting they have seen in the show.

curleytops Sep 17th 2012 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10285683)

Shortly before I left Canada an installer at one of the major cable companies told me that the new "Netflix" button found on many of the latest "smart" tv sets was killing their business. You can't beat the convenience of ordering a movie right off your tv remote. At the end of the day the cable companies have been charging way too much money for way too much crap for way too long and the rabbit ears might just deliver the best option after all. Over in the UK we have only Freeview in our building and we manage just fine.

curleytops Sep 17th 2012 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285771)
OMG! I had forgotten all about SOAP. Is that where Billy Crystal started out? I think Corrie has an appeal to many as it still has some humour in it. From what I understand, respected actors, like Sir Ian McKellan, have asked to have parts in the show because they recognize the quality of acting they have seen in the show.

Yes indeed, Billy Crystal was barely more than a babe in arms back in those days. I think you're right about the big names wanting to do a stint on Corrie, I'd be willing to bet that's what happened with Robert Vaughn a few months back.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 17th 2012 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10285638)

Hello Fulwood...

Gosh I hate the commercials too, I really do, for what we pay there should be no advertising...

A HDMI cable is so easy to use if your TV has the jack, Id guess most newer flat screen types have them, its just a push in type, no screwing...

Sile and Jemima do make some good points...

My neighbor got tired of TV cable /dish bills and erected a 20ft pole anntenna, it looks awful but does the job for them, they watch local stuff and as Sile points out you can get HD channels too which are as clear as a bell, of course it all depends on your area... they also borrow DVDs like Doc Martin from the library...

My monthly bill went over $100 and I had to thats the end of that, these monthly charges for TV, phone and other things are pathetic, we cut back but still get local channels and a tier including BBC America for around $60...

My nephew treated us to a apple tv device last christmas, it cost around $100, other brands are available some cheaper, this device allows us to watch netflix, on boring nights we turn to netflix and watch all kinds of Britsh stuff, its amazing what is out there, including complete series's of shows id never heard of...

The device is tiny, smaller than my computers mouse, it has a tiny remote, just a few buttons, so easy to use, the device hooks up with a HDMI cable to the back of our flatscreen TV, but there is NO cable going to our computer, its wireless, just something to think about... Good Luck...

sile Sep 17th 2012 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10285799)
Hello Fulwood...

Gosh I hate the commercials too, I really do, for what we pay there should be no advertising...

A HDMI cable is so easy to use if your TV has the jack, Id guess most newer flat screen types have them, its just a push in type, no screwing...

Sile and Jemima do make some good points...

My neighbor got tired of TV cable /dish bills and erected a 20ft pole anntenna, it looks awful but does the job for them, they watch local stuff and as Sile points out you can get HD channels too which are as clear as a bell, of course it all depends on your area... they also borrow DVDs like Doc Martin from the library...

My monthly bill went over $100 and I had to thats the end of that, these monthly charges for TV, phone and other things are pathetic, we cut back but still get local channels and a tier including BBC America for around $60...

My nephew treated us to a apple tv device last christmas, it cost around $100, other brands are available some cheaper, this device allows us to watch netflix, on boring nights we turn to netflix and watch all kinds of Britsh stuff, its amazing what is out there, including complete series's of shows id never heard of...

The device is tiny, smaller than my computers mouse, it has a tiny remote, just a few buttons, so easy to use, the device hooks up with a HDMI cable to the back of our flatscreen TV, but there is NO cable going to our computer, its wireless, just something to think about... Good Luck...

I also have AppleTV and it's great. Did you know that if our also have an iPad you can play stuff from your iPad on your tv thru AppleTV? For instance, anything from you tube can be played thru AppleTV to your television by clicking on "apple tv". I watch a lot of music videos that way, like from Transatlantic Sessions or Highland Sessions.

Jerseygirl Sep 17th 2012 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 10285661)
Fulwood, if its a newish tv it should have an hdmi connection. Ours that we bought five years ago did. I ran a cable from the back of my computer to the television and also plugged in a cable for sound and it worked a treat.

If you use a HDMI cable to connect your computer and TV you should not need a separate cable for sound. Older computers/TVs...do not have the HDMI connection therefore you need 2 cables...one for video and one for sound.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 17th 2012 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10285810)
I also have AppleTV and it's great. Did you know that if our also have an iPad you can play stuff from your iPad on your tv thru AppleTV? For instance, anything from you tube can be played thru AppleTV to your television by clicking on "apple tv". I watch a lot of music videos that way, like from Transatlantic Sessions or Highland Sessions.

I did know about the Ipad but sadly dont have one, I also watch You Tube on apple tv if its something I cant find on netflix.

intant Sep 17th 2012 9:37 pm

My cable/uverse bill hit $85 so I got rid of the TV service and subscribed to UK TV everywhere, it's only $25 a month for all the main UK channels and you can go back 7 days. We were out last night but will be sitting down to the first installment of Downton Abbey tonight! Trouble is, it does make you a little homesick watching only UK programs.
Only three weeks to go though!

http://www.uktveverywhere.com/

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 17th 2012 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by intant (Post 10285854)
My cable/uverse bill hit $85 so I got rid of the TV service and subscribed to UK TV everywhere, it's only $25 a month for all the main UK channels and you can go back 7 days. We were out last night but will be sitting down to the first installment of Downton Abbey tonight! Trouble is, it does make you a little homesick watching only UK programs.

O.M.G. Id go INSANE!!! its bad enough for me switching on Last of the Summer Wine every Saturday, Brings tears to my eyes...

Ive never seen that, we might have to have it...

sile Sep 17th 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by intant (Post 10285854)

How are you doing with your packing and all the prep? Only three weeks...how exciting!

lf1 Sep 17th 2012 10:00 pm

Curleytops, Can you fill me in on a Corrie question? Eileen appears to be working in the cab office again, how did that come about? Also, I see that Lloyd is back, what was the story behind that?

As you know, in Canada we were behind, but were quickly catching up. So between me leaving Calgary and eventually getting to Scotland I missed some events.

fulwood Sep 17th 2012 11:55 pm

Instant, Thanks so much! I think I may subscribe to this..

Mummy in the foothills Sep 18th 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285771)

It's in re runs right now on a new channel we have that only shows really old TV shows, it's called Antenna TV. I watched an episode on evening, flashbacks to my youth :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 18th 2012 12:51 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285898)
Curleytops, Can you fill me in on a Corrie question? Eileen appears to be working in the cab office again, how did that come about? Also, I see that Lloyd is back, what was the story behind that?

As you know, in Canada we were behind, but were quickly catching up. So between me leaving Calgary and eventually getting to Scotland I missed some events.

She lost her job in the factory.
If you go to youtube and watch you can catch up, But the title isn't Corrie or Coronation street. So it doesn't get removed. Shhh
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeverSurrender6 Newest at the top so scroll way down and it's all dated, and it stops for you to change to the next video when the commercials would normally play, not plonk in the middle of the show.

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10286073)
She lost her job in the factory.
If you go to youtube and watch you can catch up, But the title isn't Corrie or Coronation street. So it doesn't get removed. Shhh
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeverSurrender6 Newest at the top so scroll way down and it's all dated, and it stops for you to change to the next video when the commercials would normally play, not plonk in the middle of the show.

Thanks, I'll check that out.:)

curleytops Sep 18th 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285898)

Here's a quick re-cap put behind "curtains" just in case you opt to run through the you tube videos and don't want me spoiling them:

Spoiler:
Eileen was sacked from Underworld because she bunked off in the middle of a big order to attend Lesley's funeral. Lloyd returned to the scene after a chance meeting with Steve while driving for a rival cab firm. Apparently he'd gone away to visit family in Jamaica after his bust-up with Cheryl but had lost all his savings in a bad real estate deal in the Caribbean and had returned to the UK skint.

As an aside, Canada is now pretty much up to date with us (10 days behind - they really can't come any further forward) and are back to 30 minute episodes every night.

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 11:51 am

Thanks Curleytops. I had a look at the spoiler. All is well with the world now that Eileen is in charge of the cab office again.

Conversation this morning:

OH - Did you watch Downton Abbey last night?

Me - No. I watched George Gently and I'll watch Downton tonight.

OH - There's footy on tonight!

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

curleytops Sep 18th 2012 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10286796)
Thanks Curleytops. I had a look at the spoiler. All is well with the world now that Eileen is in charge of the cab office again.

Send him down to the pub to watch it :lol:

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10286066)
It's in re runs right now on a new channel we have that only shows really old TV shows, it's called Antenna TV. I watched an episode on evening, flashbacks to my youth :lol:

I wonder if you can watch them online. Not that I don't have enough stuff recorded already.:)

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10286931)
Send him down to the pub to watch it :lol:

Brilliant idea! :lol:

HOUSTON - Problem solved

jasper123 Sep 18th 2012 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10286796)

Hello Ifi
After I had been back home for 6 months I had slowly got liking Corrie, and Emerdale, and Eastenders, now Im hooked on em all :) and me and Mum watch them together every night now,
But there are still a few programs on freeview that I like to watch but She does not, so my solution was to buy a nice new flat screen TV for the kitchen, I got an antenna put in the Loft, with the antenna wire connecting to the TV in Kitchen, So all the channels we get on the big TV in the living room we get on the smaller kitchen TV with also a perfect picture ----- perfect, so if theres something I want to watch and Mum dont, then I just retreat to the Kitchen :) also nice to be able to watch the News while Im cooking dinner ----- or watching the Lorraine show while eating my Porridge in morning ;)