British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sile Sep 8th 2012 10:39 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10270616)
I'm sure you watch on TV when people say this, the US, is the greatest country on earth. Both of the political conventions were full of this. Sorry Denise.

I just have to say that many Americans do not feel that everything here is perfect by any means, but what do you expect people to say about their own countries, especially at a political rally...that we suck? and America IS pretty great, btw.

I know this is a mainly British forum, but what is up with all the US bashing, particularly by expats who actually choose to LIVE HERE?

Mummy in the foothills Sep 8th 2012 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10270799)
I just have to say that many Americans do not feel that everything here is perfect by any means, but what do you expect people to say about their own countries, especially at a political rally...that we suck? and America IS pretty great, btw.

I know this is a mainly British forum, but what is up with all the US bashing, particularly by expats who actually choose to LIVE HERE?

Oh jeez get a sense of humor, I think they sell them at K-Mart.

cheers Sep 9th 2012 12:18 am

We are just joining in with the views of our American neighbors.

sallysimmons Sep 9th 2012 7:10 am

It's cultural. Brits don't walk around congratulating themselves on being great all the time. Our political conventions aren't about how fabulous Britain is - they're about policy. No one ever claims that England is 'the greatest country on earth.' Well, except for Boris Johnson (look him up and you'll see why we don't pay too much attention to him :lol:).

I always thought America seemed a very insecure country when I lived there. Like the girl in high school who's always telling everyone how pretty and clever she is, because deep down she's very unsure of herself.

If you ever do move to England, you'll be confounded by our ways, just was we are confounded by yours. You'll find yourself exasperated by things you just don't get and you'll talk about it to other Americans. Then you'll understand why ex-pats here criticize aspects of America. It's not 'bashing' - it's honest dialogue.

But also, look at where we are - this is the section of the site for people who want to move back. They may be living in America, but in most cases they don't want to. If you want to hear nice things about America, check the USA section. There are lots of Brits who love it over there. I just wasn't one of them.

Bud the Wiser Sep 9th 2012 11:36 am

Sile, read and absorb Sallysimmons post above and you won't go far wrong.

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 9th 2012 6:39 pm

Hello Sile... just so you know, not all of us chose to live here, and not all of us dislike it here, we just dislike certain things, but that could be said of the UK too, If you move to Ireland I'm sure you will have those feelings too.

Once you've walked in our shoes you will understand much better, Emigrating looks easy to some but is a much bigger life changer than most people can explain.

sile Sep 9th 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10271958)
Hello Sile... just so you know, not all of us chose to live here, and not all of us dislike it here, we just dislike certain things, but that could be said of the UK too, If you move to Ireland I'm sure you will have those feelings too.

Once you've walked in our shoes you will understand much better, Emigrating looks easy to some but is a much bigger life changer than most people can explain.

Hello all,

I am sure what you say is true, including the fact that emigrating is huge, and I completely understand that no matter where one is, there will be things that you dislike, and certainly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, especially on a forum like this.

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

Don't forget that any country is made up of individuals, including, in this case, me, my parents, grandparents, friends, ancestors. So, when an insult is hurled at "America", it's essentially being hurled at all of us.

I know anyone here would feel the same if the tables were turned. It kind of gets your back up.

Additionally, it kind of bugs me to hear people insult Americans when I know they are working for Americans, running businesses that Americans purchase from, and taking full advantage of things we have to offer, and then they turn around and insult us. That seems wrong to me.

Sally Redux Sep 9th 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10271994)
Hello all,

I am sure what you say is true, including the fact that emigrating is huge, and I completely understand that no matter where one is, there will be things that you dislike, and certainly everyone has the right to voice their opinion, especially on a forum like this.

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored (?) brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

Don't forget that any country is made up of individuals, including, in this case, me, my parents, grandparents, friends, ancestors. So, when an insult is hurled at "America", it's essentially being hurled at all of us.

I know anyone here would feel the same if the tables were turned. It kind of gets your back up.

Additionally, it kind of bugs me to hear people insult Americans when I know they are working for Americans, running businesses that Americans purchase from, and taking full advantage of things we have to offer, and then they turn around and insult us. That seems wrong to me.

On the other hand, it's a forum for British Expats and we don't wish to be dictated to.

sile Sep 9th 2012 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10272008)
On the other hand, it's a forum for British Expats and we don't wish to be dictated to.

I am clearly not "dictating" to anyone. I am expressing my opinion...my feelings on a subject.

Perhaps, if you think this forum should be restricted to British Expats, you should contact the administrator and they can modify the rules so that I and any others from countries that are not part of the British Empire can be told not to participate, or at the very least, we can be told not to express ourselves in any way other than what you think is acceptable.

Sally Redux Sep 9th 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10272027)
I am clearly not "dictating" to anyone. I am expressing my opinion...my feelings on a subject.

Perhaps, if you think this forum should be restricted to British Expats, you should contact the moderator and they can modify the rules so that I and any others from countries that are not part of the British Empire can be told not to participate, or at the very least, we can be told not to express ourselves in any way other than what you think is acceptable.

That's not what I said but never mind. You are impossible to talk to.

sile Sep 9th 2012 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10272031)

Right, it's all me, I am sure.

cheers Sep 9th 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10272031)

Easy on!

cheers Sep 9th 2012 7:42 pm

This reminds me of a hymn that we sometimes sing in church and goes something like this ".... let us all speak kind words to each other...."
I like that.
Peace

Mummy in the foothills Sep 9th 2012 7:44 pm

How do you change the title under your name, I just noticed one Sally has President and one Sally has finally home. SO spill, what am I missing, cause mine says lost in BE cyberspace. :confused:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 9th 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10272032)
Right, it's all me, I am sure.

Are you sure you aren't an ex poster come back under a new name, this is all sounding very familiar

rebs Sep 9th 2012 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10272040)
How do you change the title under your name, I just noticed one Sally has President and one Sally has finally home. SO spill, what am I missing, cause mine says lost in BE cyberspace. :confused:

Go into 'edit profile' and it's the custom user title :)

sile Sep 9th 2012 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10272042)
Are you sure you aren't an ex poster come back under a new name, this is all sounding very familiar

Ok, so now I am someone else, disguising my identity, using an alias?

No, I am just me, here since March, same name.

Now, is there anything else someone would like to accuse me of?

It's obvious I am not welcome here.

And no, the statement is not a ploy to get someone to say anything at all. So, don't throw that at me either.

Giantaxe Sep 9th 2012 8:20 pm

Judging by many of your posts on this thread, you seem to get bent out of shape by criticism of the US as opposed to actual insults. Whilst I agree one can blur into the other, why get so bent out of shape by criticism? I mean, I do overall like the US, but it has some blindingly obvious messes that it's failing to address - the system of healthcare access, for example - so it's hardly a surprise that US healthcare comes in for criticism by those that have been exposed to other systems. Etc etc.

Bud the Wiser Sep 9th 2012 8:28 pm

I used to work for Greenpeace back in the 70’s, one of our assignments was to try and protect the rainforest in Brazil. On one of our days of we went on a trek into the jungle and came upon a small tribe of native Indians who had one very peculiar trait in that they never used plurals in their language. Instead if there were two items they would say the word twice, and if there were three the would say the word three times and so on.

I asked the chief for an example and asked him what was the word for “idiot”

“Da” he replied.

So I asked him what two idiots would be.

“Da da.” he answered

“And three idiots?” I asked

“Da, da, da.” he retorted looking at me if I was a bit of a ‘da” myself.

Trying to be clever, I thought I’d catch him out and asked what a whole nation of idiots would be.

Without a moments hesitation, he put his right hand up to his heart and, to the tune of the star spangled banner started singing……..

“Da, da, da, da, da,da.
Da, da, da, da,da, da.

………. I’ll get me coat.

Giantaxe Sep 9th 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10271110)
Our political conventions aren't about how fabulous Britain is - they're about policy.

The US conventions are essentially a "kickoff" meeting for the Presidential election campaign. They only hold them once every four years, for example. The primary role is to select a party's presidential candidate, but since '68 that really hasn't happened. Now they're little more than an election rally.

feelbritish Sep 9th 2012 9:03 pm

Sile you seem to be taking exception to everything we say on these forums and getting rather unpleasant with it! If you can't stand the heat....

Don't worry about your coat Bud, :rofl:

sile Sep 9th 2012 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10272124)
Sile you seem to be taking exception to everything we say on these forums and getting rather unpleasant with it! If you can't stand the heat....

Don't worry about your coat Bud, :rofl:

You are absolutely wrong. I have had many pleasant exchanges here. But many of you just pick and choose, twist, spin and exaggerate most of what I say whenever I disagree, and even when I don't.

There should be no " heat" to escape from, but some of you have made it so.
If I stand up for myself or state a differing opinion I am ALWAYS wrong here, with the exception of those who pm me with support.

There is never any self reflection that is done by those who make statements that I disagree with. Contrary to what you may believe, you are not always right.

And that little story that was just told by Bud the ...whatever...prime example of unkindness aimed straight at me. And that, by the way, could be considered taunting. Gang mentality, alive and well.....

Mummy in the foothills Sep 9th 2012 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10272046)
Go into 'edit profile' and it's the custom user title :)

Done, now I can change that weekly depending on my mood :rofl:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 9th 2012 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10272140)
You are absolutely wrong. I have had many pleasant exchanges here. But many of you just pick and choose, twist, spin and exaggerate most of what I say whenever I disagree, and even when I don't.

There should be no " heat" to escape from, but some of you have made it so.
If I stand up for myself or state a differing opinion I am ALWAYS wrong here, with the exception of those who pm me with support.

There is never any self reflection that is done by those who make statements that I disagree with. Contrary to what you may believe, you are not always right.

And that little story that was just told by Bud the ...whatever...prime example of unkindness aimed straight at me. And that, by the way, could be considered taunting, btw. Gang mentality, alive and well.....

No you are not always wrong, your opinion just differs from some other posters, and it is what it is. No one is ganging up on you and my comment about "are you someone else?", was a joke.
But whatever I give up.

sile Sep 9th 2012 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 10272096)
I used to work for Greenpeace back in the 70’s, one of our assignments was to try and protect the rainforest in Brazil. On one of our days of we went on a trek into the jungle and came upon a small tribe of native Indians who had one very peculiar trait in that they never used plurals in their language. Instead if there were two items they would say the word twice, and if there were three the would say the word three times and so on.

I asked the chief for an example and asked him what was the word for “idiot”

“Da” he replied.

So I asked him what two idiots would be.

“Da da.” he answered

“And three idiots?” I asked

“Da, da, da.” he retorted looking at me if I was a bit of a ‘da” myself.

Trying to be clever, I thought I’d catch him out and asked what a whole nation of idiots would be.

Without a moments hesitation, he put his right hand up to his heart and, to the tune of the star spangled banner started singing……..

“Da, da, da, da, da,da.
Da, da, da, da,da, da.

………. I’ll get me coat.

Posting this little "story" here simply serves to speak volumes about you rather than saying anything of any substance about Americans.

sallysimmons Sep 9th 2012 9:39 pm

Oh boy, here we go again.

sile Sep 9th 2012 9:49 pm

"This is exactly why I hate living in the US. The level of ignorance and blind belief in their nation is simply mind boggling."

"And they invented democracy"

"The lack of history and georgrapy explains why so many Americans think they won both the world wars and the US is the only 'free country' "

So these quotes from another thread (not to mention the one that "bud" just posted here) shouldn't be considered insulting? Okay......

Celticspirit Sep 10th 2012 12:51 am

Hello all,

That said, I find it somewhat .... I don't really know the word that fits here...maybe mean-spirited, when some folks here paint the country with a broad and sometimes wrongly colored brush, saying things like we are all too full of patriotism that we voice too loudly, or we are the "laughing stock of the world" in one regard or another, or we are all ignorant or whatever. I am an American and I love my country in many ways, and I am proud of all we do that's right.

So why are you planning leaving this wonderful country of yours????

Celticspirit Sep 10th 2012 12:52 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10272177)
Oh boy, here we go again.

;-))))

sile Sep 10th 2012 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10272393)
;-))))

Obviously you don't really read my posts, take in what I say in its entirety, but it's want to try to say something you think is clever. So I won't be sucked in to responding to that stupid question.

Celticspirit Sep 10th 2012 1:09 am

Originally Posted by sile (Post 10272400)
Obviously you don't really read my posts, take in what I say in its entirety, but it's want to try to say something you think is clever. So I won't be sucked in to responding to that stupid question.

Pardon....grammar??

Fish n Chips 56 Sep 10th 2012 6:31 am

Hello all,

I whole heartedly agree with that point, Id take it personal as I did with Meredith's comments the other day.

Id love it if the people of this world could just get along.

sallysimmons Sep 10th 2012 7:06 am

To change the subject, if anyone is interested in photos of England (or at least my bit of it), I've posted some on Flickr. I'm afraid they're not organized into albums.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fingerrolls/show/

curleytops Sep 10th 2012 8:14 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10272724)
To change the subject, if anyone is interested in photos of England (or at least my bit of it), I've posted some on Flickr. I'm afraid they're not organized into albums.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fingerrolls/show/

Beautiful photos - this country may not be perfect but being lucky enough to experience places like those right on our doorstep makes it a lot easier to cope with the not so great aspects of British life IMO.

lf1 Sep 10th 2012 9:17 am

Great pics Sally! Seeing the one of the Crime Writers Festival reminded that we bought a copy of Peter Robinson's latest book the other day. I'll have to wait until OH has finished it as he seems to have claimed it.:)

sallysimmons Sep 10th 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10272870)
Great pics Sally! Seeing the one of the Crime Writers Festival reminded that we bought a copy of Peter Robinson's latest book the other day. I'll have to wait until OH has finished it as he seems to have claimed it.:)

I just put that on my ipad and started it. The other day we were up in Wensleydale and had to pay a visit to Gayle near Hawes, which he has said is where Inspector Banks' cottage is. We saw the little river that the cottage is supposed to back on to.

Next we're off to Richmond, because when we saw him speak, he said Eastvale started out as an amalgam of Richmond and Ripon, but that as he now lives in Richmond, it's increasingly becoming 'Eastvale.'

cheers Sep 10th 2012 2:41 pm

So Downton Abbey starts next week in the UK.

Jerseygirl Sep 10th 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10273352)
So Dolton Abbey starts next week in the UK. (I know I have the spelling wrong)
shame on me!

Yes Downton Abbey starts next Sunday...16th. 8 episodes and I think there's another Christmas special.

lf1 Sep 10th 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10272937)
I just put that on my ipad and started it. The other day we were up in Wensleydale and had to pay a visit to Gayle near Hawes, which he has said is where Inspector Banks' cottage is. We saw the little river that the cottage is supposed to back on to.

Next we're off to Richmond, because when we saw him speak, he said Eastvale started out as an amalgam of Richmond and Ripon, but that as he now lives in Richmond, it's increasingly becoming 'Eastvale.'

I am looking forward to visiting Inspector Banks' beat. I have done a tour of Rebus' patch and thoroughly enjoyed, including a drink in the Ox.

lf1 Sep 10th 2012 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10273352)
So Downton Abbey starts next week in the UK.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10273353)
Yes Downton Abbey starts next Sunday...16th. 8 episodes and I think there's another Christmas special.

Brilliant! I know what I am doing next Sunday.:)