Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 7th 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by not2old
watching this one

Based on those who currently get the full state pension of £110.15 per week. there will be three yearly increases before the new flat rate pension kicks in. Since the government has a promise to increase the state pension 2.5% each year, then those who currently collect it will be getting ~£119.48 per week at the time of the flat rate pension which is a shortfall of £24.52 to those that have 35 years that end up with the new flat rate pension of £144 per week.

Under the current rules of 30 NIC years to full state pension, the government says a year of NIC gets you ~3% of state pension. Since the difference of the new pension is off by £24.52 & based on the proposal to allow further top up, I'm figuring current pensioner will need to either

a) top up 5 years of NIC to the new 35 NIC years of NIC rules for full pension

B) an amount unknown but likely to be somewhere between 5 - 8 years of NIC's

If its a top up of 5 years of NIC at class 5 x £750/yr = £3750, divided by the additional £24.52/wk, the payback is ~153 weeks or approx 3 years.

I'm wondering if it all comes about whether the government will contact current pensioners or keep them in the dark about the option to get an increased state pension by additional NIC top up?

Wait & see, but it looks interesting
All Very interesting - but unfortunately, as it stood previous to this announcement, and without these calculations, I and others, similarly placed were supposed to get regular pension increases based solely upon the rising cost of living percentage figures. These charlatons at our head, however, have conveniently stopped the issue of regular updates to the cost of living being stated in the press. We are losing out, and there are many hundreds having to rely on the help of charity food handouts, which the government never mentions. Never mind - can't live forever!
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Steady snow fall here in Saint George for the last 12 hours and still coming down. This is the most snow I've seen since I moved here about 7 years ago.

Cheers
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Steady snow fall here in Saint George for the last 12 hours and still coming down. This is the most snow I've seen since I moved here about 7 years ago.

Cheers
We've been below 32F since lunchtime Thursday. We have not been outside at all. Not snow but freezing rain. 17F last night. Will not get up to 32F until Monday and just for a couple of hours. Lots of tree damage due to the weight of ice. Cosy indoors though in front of the fire.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Cheers
We had Snow yesterday, its rare, even had it on the beaches, its around 20 degrees, we wont see above freezing until Wednesday at the earliest.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So is Charley girl back in New Hampshire?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:06 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

No snow here, just good old Pennine weather - grey skies, blustery winds, showers, and the occasional hail storm (that usually happens when I'm halfway round on my 4 mile walk circuit and so I have to huddle against a tree to avoid getting stung by the pellets!)
Old Dec 8th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Have had snow here on the ground from Thursday, very cold at -9deg and clear blue skies no sign of it warming up this week and maybe more on the way this coming Thursday
Old Dec 9th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lestergirl will become famous soon enoughLestergirl will become famous soon enough

Hello Everyone, thank you for the well wishes. I arrived late Thursday... lovely to be met by my daughters, son was working.. I have to admit to feeling very overwhelmed and have thought many times already Oh god what have I done.. but already I have helped my daughter out with some issues.. spent some time with all 3 of them.. I have wonderful friends that I am staying with.. but feel very lost actually. Woke to snow yesterday.. and my heart sank. I am in New Hampshire though so knew it was going to happen and today more snow.. Not feeling good about much at the moment but it is early. I have to get a car, with limited cash and a job pretty soon...Depressed would describe my mood..but time will tell.
It is really tough being an Expat..
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestergirl
Hello Everyone, thank you for the well wishes. I arrived late Thursday... lovely to be met by my daughters, son was working.. I have to admit to feeling very overwhelmed and have thought many times already Oh god what have I done.. but already I have helped my daughter out with some issues.. spent some time with all 3 of them.. I have wonderful friends that I am staying with.. but feel very lost actually. Woke to snow yesterday.. and my heart sank. I am in New Hampshire though so knew it was going to happen and today more snow.. Not feeling good about much at the moment but it is early. I have to get a car, with limited cash and a job pretty soon...Depressed would describe my mood..but time will tell.
Hiya. Not sure if it'll help but I'm in New Hampshire too and if you ever want a cuppa and chat let me know. I'm in Nashua. Shoot me a PM anytime
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you Denise and that you arrived safely. Hope you're enjoying time with the kids and feeling a little more settled very soon.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Denise, I'm glad you made it back safely.

I was depressed when I came back in 90, it lasted for many months, everyone was happy to see me, I was happy to see them but didnt want to be here.

Life is tough sometimes, just take it day by day and eventually it will all work out.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Charley/Lester/Denise,

hope the re-adjustment goes smoothly. It's great that you've already made a difference in your kids' lives and helped your daughter. That was the reason for going back, after all.

Good luck with the next steps and do keep us posted. You're still an expat and belong on this forum!! (Though of course returnees to UK know we love to hear from them as well. Eastern Dawn??????)

I wonder if you'll get a chance to be in touch with Trotty up there in NH?
If so do let her know she is often mentioned here and we all wish her and her DH well and hope all is ok with them.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the expat curse, something like oh cripes what have I done? (as you say). Many of us have felt it one time or another (and another and another), it is natural when making such a huge move, stepping into the void for the nth time, with just a little less resilience than the last time you did it.

It'll all work in the end, make the most of the positives - being with important people who are kind to you and want to be in your company. Onwards and upwards!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Anyone with Christmas avatars in here please?

I don't see any.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Anyone with Christmas avatars in here please?

I don't see any.
Me, miss, ask me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.