British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Perth Oct 31st 2013 11:27 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10970046)
I for one hope she joins you... Good luck in that front...

Thank you Fish...

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10970094)
:fingerscrossed: for you she loves it there and wants to be with her folks!

and Gail :)

Perth Oct 31st 2013 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10970899)
Well the wall was the original wall built when the house was built in 1933 so for an 80 year old wall I guess it did well to last all the way through the 2nd world war ----- and all the storms!!!! ----- so I would say top marks to British workmanship ----- especially way back then when things were done the right way, and buildings were really built solid!!!! ;)

I am really happy that you and your dear Mum are safe and sound, Rodney! Better the garden wall than a wall in your house :eek:

cheers Nov 1st 2013 1:04 am

This is an interesting read about the US government going after British companies big time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/g...an-wolves.html

islandwoman120 Nov 1st 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10970009)

I wonder how long it takes to "slow down" inside ourselves after we arrive. ;)

It took me about 18 months to calm down - I had no idea I was as tightly wound as I was, and the unwinding brought out all sorts of physical ailments too. Now I am fine - it is as though I have never been away for 25 years... been back 3 years now. It takes a lot of adjustment, especially a need to stop comparisons between the countries and the 'way things are done', and don't do price conversions for too long - losing on the currency exchange is a sure way to get depressed! Once you can pay your way in GBP and not converted currency life seems better. Most people over here could care less about America and American ways, are not interested in your travels and experiences and just want to get on with their own day. Expect a culture shock, then get on and live, adapt where you have to and forget the rest. :) When are you coming back - any closer to having a firm date?

lf1 Nov 1st 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10969115)
Well yesterday morning I went for an interview at the hospital where I did my nurse training, you know back in the day when we actually worked, lived and did lessons all at the hospital before they started to send all the nurses to Uni.
This afternoon I got a call from the Matron, I was offered a full time permanent contract :egyptian: I couldn't believe it. I accepted of course.
Now what to do about the interview tuesday that I really want the job for, only it's very part time, so not as good pay. Can I work both I wonder. 37.5 (three 12 hour days and a bit) at the hospital and 13 at the other job? (two short days)
This takes the pressure off, Dh only needs a bit of part time work if he wants to, we should be able to meet all bills on my wages. :thumbsup:

Great news!!

aries Nov 1st 2013 10:20 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10972158)
It took me about 18 months to calm down - I had no idea I was as tightly wound as I was, and the unwinding brought out all sorts of physical ailments too. Now I am fine - it is as though I have never been away for 25 years... been back 3 years now. It takes a lot of adjustment, especially a need to stop comparisons between the countries and the 'way things are done', and don't do price conversions for too long - losing on the currency exchange is a sure way to get depressed! Once you can pay your way in GBP and not converted currency life seems better. Most people over here could care less about America and American ways, are not interested in your travels and experiences and just want to get on with their own day. Expect a culture shock, then get on and live, adapt where you have to and forget the rest. :) When are you coming back - any closer to having a firm date?

My own adjustment hasn't finished after 9 days short of 2 years back in the UK. I still feel as if I should be looking at my return ticket to Adelaide, except that I don't have one! My currency converting continues, not worrying about prices here because they are generally lower, but because my Age Pension comes from Oz and it has dropped £150 a month with the changing exchange rate.

If I mention Australia almost everyone thinks I was mad to come back after so long there, and certainly there is a culture shock. A lot of illness related to the climate has seriously dampened my enthusiasm for returning here, plus family members think I'm too far away to visit. Compared with Australia it is just down the road!!

mikelincs Nov 1st 2013 10:47 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10971199)
trouble is it is not British people buying these mansions and they work the tax laws to not pay tax!

It was a Pakistani family buying via Deutchebank, and they failed to pay the mortgage, Bank took them to court to get reposession, and won.

mikelincs Nov 1st 2013 10:50 am

That's one of the more important things, you have to stop converting prices, I know because we took a while when we moved over to Spain, took a few months before I stopped converting prices to pounds, then it became a lot easier.

cheers Nov 1st 2013 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10972232)
That's one of the more important things, you have to stop converting prices, I know because we took a while when we moved over to Spain, took a few months before I stopped converting prices to pounds, then it became a lot easier.

One exception when you are doing the conversions........how much would it cost for health insurance in (America) vs the UK. $600/$800 a month???

dunroving Nov 1st 2013 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10972644)
One exception when you are doing the conversions........how much would it cost for health insurance in (America) vs the UK. $600/$800 a month???

It depends on your employer in the US. I didn't pay anything in premiums (employer paid it), and being a relatively healthy person but needing basic medication for allergies and the occasional doctor visit due to sports injuries or other routine problems, I spent anything between about $200 and $1,000 per year on co-pays, etc. As I used to file schedule A (or whatever it was called) each year, these were tax-exempt.

I did used to spend a fair bit on routine dental care, though, because the employer plan was rubbish (and of course US dentists do stuff that's not really necessary).

cheers Nov 1st 2013 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10972798)
It depends on your employer in the US. I didn't pay anything in premiums (employer paid it), and being a relatively healthy person but needing basic medication for allergies and the occasional doctor visit due to sports injuries or other routine problems, I spent anything between about $200 and $1,000 per year on co-pays, etc. As I used to file schedule A (or whatever it was called) each year, these were tax-exempt.

I did used to spend a fair bit on routine dental care, though, because the employer plan was rubbish (and of course US dentists do stuff that's not really necessary).

I think very few employees get health insurance. My opinion.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 1st 2013 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10969219)
WOW! Is that good or what? Just don't ever say in the new job "well in California we did it a better way". You didn't need me to tell you that right? Anyway your DH has a good thing going if you ask me.:thumbsup:

How far a walk is it from your house to the Cowyn Castle? Can you see your house from the castle?

I hope you can give DD a lot of your time.

Thanks for the good news!

Cheers

PS. You and Rod have all the good luck!:thumbup:

I could probably walk to the castle in about an hour as we'd have to walk in a big semi circle we are across the river, we can see one end of it only.

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10969674)
:thumbsup: Congratulations Mummy! I would only take the full time job because you do need time off to enjoy your new life in UK! ps I remember those days when you were trained "on the job" and I do believe our nurses were much better performers then too!

Yes I've come to my senses, one full time job, I went in and explained and I'm not taking the 13 hours extra.
Dh will have to find something part time for himself to cover those other 13 hours and give us some some spare money.

We are still waiting on Dh's NIN he's having the same problem as Peggie had in Scotland, we'll see what happens this coming Thursday. He can't be found in the system and has to go for an interview.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 1st 2013 7:23 pm

Oh yes I'm wound tight as a drum and know it. I hope I can calm down sooner than 18 months out. I still have sudden stomach flips thinking I'm going to have to go back. Dh is working his stress out in the garden, pulling weeds and chopping bushes and trees that haven't been touched in 2 years.

islandwoman120 Nov 1st 2013 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10972904)
Oh yes I'm wound tight as a drum and know it. I hope I can calm down sooner than 18 months out. I still have sudden stomach flips thinking I'm going to have to go back. Dh is working his stress out in the garden, pulling weeds and chopping bushes and trees that haven't been touched in 2 years.

You may well get unwound sooner than I did - remember I was on my own, and moving from one area to another too. Plus I had to do all the administrative and legal changes as soon as I returned and it was a scary time. Preceded by 5 months of selling up and moving from one place to the next - sofa surfing - before getting on the plane to the UK. Hence taking a while to get to a calm state. I too use the garden to relieve stress - I have a large portion of the gardens here to tend and plant as I wish, and I love that. Tell your DH to keep pulling weeds!!!:)

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 2nd 2013 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10972892)
I could probably walk to the castle in about an hour as we'd have to walk in a big semi circle we are across the river, we can see one end of it only.

Yes I've come to my senses, one full time job, I went in and explained and I'm not taking the 13 hours extra.
Dh will have to find something part time for himself to cover those other 13 hours and give us some some spare money.

We are still waiting on Dh's NIN he's having the same problem as Peggie had in Scotland, we'll see what happens this coming Thursday. He can't be found in the system and has to go for an interview.

The New Job...

I'm really glad thats what you did Mummy, Enjoy your work but dont get overworked, I think its much better to have some free time and only have one boss than trying to please two, Id almost bet you get offered some overtime so that will come in handy if and when it does.

Id almost bet your hubby will enjoy working too, it gives us a purpose and we get to connect with other people...

Good for you guys, I'm glad the UK is working out for you...