British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Karrie72 Nov 13th 2013 1:15 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Good luck coming back Lester girl...hope you find some peace of mind. Your kids will appreciate you and all your sacrifices very much I hope.

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 13th 2013 2:25 am

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 10988642)
I still do - my wife & grown kids think that I am totally uncultured ... being from up North, rightly so - waste not, wot not, I say

I'm with you there, we were taught not to waste our food.

Up North, so where abouts ???

dontheturner Nov 13th 2013 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10988733)
I'm with you there, we were taught not to waste our food.

Up North, so where abouts ???

And being from the Midlands (Walsall to be exact) it was fetching Faggots and Paes - in a basin.. Scrummy, of course.... (Working on the Canal at 14 - as a Toll Clerk) (1944)

dunroving Nov 13th 2013 8:43 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10988937)
And being from the Midlands (Walsall to be exact) it was fetching Faggots and Paes - in a basin.. Scrummy, of course.... (Working on the Canal at 14 - as a Toll Clerk) (1944)

And being from Burrrmingum, I know that is not a typo. ;)

Bud the Wiser Nov 13th 2013 10:05 am

Nostalgic Britain..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-24826739

Look out for 'The Ancient Order of Hen Pecked Husbands.'

dontheturner Nov 13th 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10988987)
And being from Burrrmingum, I know that is not a typo. ;)

Hi dunrovin' _ Go to the Bullring early on Saturday mornings, and adjacent to St Martins Chaerch, the price of Vegetables, are so unbelievably cheap, we can only carry to the New St Station, wth difficulty! -- They use washing up bowls, full of fruit and veg on most of the stalls,----- and a couple of months ago, they were full of large Toms, etc., for a Pound.......worth a visit sometime!

dontheturner Nov 13th 2013 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 10989066)
Nostalgic Britain..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-24826739

Look out for 'The Ancient Order of Hen Pecked Husbands.'

For anyone interested in Birmingham, of old, There are two websites, loaded with old photographs. www.Birmingham Forum, and www.Birmingham History Forum, both worth a gander.!

Mummy in the foothills Nov 13th 2013 1:15 pm

I'm feeling a bit panicked today.
The shippers cancelled the delivery of our stuff yesterday as they loaded the wrong stuff and can't find ours :eek:
They said this morning they are still searching the warehouse.
Dh thinks they have delivered it all to the wrong address somewhere where it's gone into storage for someone who hasn't arrived yet or is waiting to unpack when they move into a house or something. I'm most concerned about all my kids baby books and things like that, that can't be replaced and have no value to anyone but us. :(

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 13th 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10989293)
The shippers cancelled the delivery of our stuff yesterday as they loaded the wrong stuff and can't find ours :eek:
Dh thinks they have delivered it all to the wrong address somewhere where it's gone into storage for someone who hasn't arrived yet or is waiting to unpack when they move into a house or something. I'm most concerned about all my kids baby books and things like that, that can't be replaced and have no value to anyone but us. :(

Ahhhh Pauline, what an awful thing, surely they will figure this one out, whoever has your stuff will want their stuff too, It may take a while but I have faith you will get your things, I do think your hubby is right, what a Worry...

Sally Redux Nov 13th 2013 2:43 pm

:eek: How inefficient! I'm sure they'll turn up soon, but very unsettling.

curleytops Nov 13th 2013 2:55 pm

:fingerscrossed: this gets sorted quickly for you.

J.JsOH Nov 13th 2013 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10987968)
Hull and I was real happy about that, cos I'm proud to be from the North...

Gravy on my Chips of course, at one time Id have a slice of bread to mop up the gravy too, that was long ago, we dont do that these days.

We never did have gravy on chips, but gravy on bread was a regular meal when we were kids. I still like it occasionally.

dunroving Nov 13th 2013 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10989485)
We never did have gravy on chips, but gravy on bread was a regular meal when we were kids. I still like it occasionally.

Our dad used to get all kinds of grief from our mum about mopping up his gravy with a slice of bread. Maybe that's why they divorced.

I don't do it often these days but I love a bit of gravy-soaked bread.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 13th 2013 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10989485)

I love Chips and Gravy and Gravy on bread. Mmmm takes me back to my childhood. :lol:

lf1 Nov 13th 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10989760)
I love Chips and Gravy and Gravy on bread. Mmmm takes me back to my childhood. :lol:

I had never heard of chips and gravy until I moved to Canada in the 80's.