British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Nov 3rd 2013 10:52 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I was sad to read in the British news that the Welsh government has over ridden the local government and they have approved a farming plan to allow factory farming of cattle.
I think you all know this type of farming allows cattle to be kept in pens and they do not graze on grass.
I can imagine some money changed hands with the person in power.

Cheers

feelbritish Nov 3rd 2013 11:13 pm

Bummer, now we have to ask which part of the UK the beef comes from:thumbdown:

old.sparkles Nov 4th 2013 2:02 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10975197)
I read with horror about the hormones being involved in the beef industry here! I did some research and it is common practice and allowed in Canada but it is not allowed in the EC. I went to my local little supermarket and asked the butcher about his beef and he also had to admit "there is a small amount of hormone" in the beef. So I will have to buy organic or give it up. Luckily if I go very early the beef expiring tomorrow is usually priced down so I picked up a few packs of mince (ground beef) to freeze. Then I asked about Bison and he said he was not sure, so I will have to research that one! BTW chicken and pork here in Canada does not get fed hormones. Our wild salmon are being infected by virus, beef fed hormones, eggs and who knows what else? I always thought there was a high % of people here with cancer for such a small population. Now I am glad that we will be going home in a couple of years :fingerscrossed: and hopefully the EC and UK will continue to be vigilant with the food we eat!

After 12 years living here I no longer trust this government :thumbdown:

Or drink - if cows are given hormones, it'll likely be in your milk and butter too :)

old.sparkles Nov 4th 2013 2:06 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10975274)
I was sad to read in the British news that the Welsh government has over ridden the local government and they have approved a farming plan to allow factory farming of cattle.
I think you all know this type of farming allows cattle to be kept in pens and they do not graze on grass.
I can imagine some money changed hands with the person in power.

Cheers

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10975282)
Bummer, now we have to ask which part of the UK the beef comes from:thumbdown:

I think the plan referred to is a dairy farm - although I guess dairy cows at the end of their productivity must go to the meat market

Bud the Wiser Nov 4th 2013 9:34 am

On the subject of food quality, or lack thereof, I think we drift into a quiet acceptance of what's on offer, either through convenience or necessity ( price ) or both. I really does take time and effort, plus a little more cash to avoid the 'doctored' stuff on the supermarket shelves.

My SIL keeps chickens in the back garden. The difference in quality between the fresh free range and off the shelf produce convinced me to start to make the effort to avoid chemically enhanced food. Not easy though.

mikelincs Nov 4th 2013 10:00 am

Remember, in the UK certainly, certain products are allowed, legally, to have a certain % added water and not declare it, so if the product says 5% added water, that's 5% over and above the amounts they are legally allowed to add without telling you (between 5 and 10% AFAIk), with thngs like bacon and ham, then 'dry cure' is the best as it has no added water. Avoid 'chopped and shpaed' products like the devil, they are all the offcuts etc they can sell separately, and have added phospahate and water, then are tumbled in a big vat so they glue together, and then they shape them into burgers, nuggets 'fillets' etc. ASDA in the UK are bad for this, all their chilled chicken fillets are made from chopped and shaped chicken

cheers Nov 4th 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10975641)
Remember, in the UK certainly, certain products are allowed, legally, to have a certain % added water and not declare it, so if the product says 5% added water, that's 5% over and above the amounts they are legally allowed to add without telling you (between 5 and 10% AFAIk), with thngs like bacon and ham, then 'dry cure' is the best as it has no added water. Avoid 'chopped and shpaed' products like the devil, they are all the offcuts etc they can sell separately, and have added phospahate and water, then are tumbled in a big vat so they glue together, and then they shape them into burgers, nuggets 'fillets' etc. ASDA in the UK are bad for this, all their chilled chicken fillets are made from chopped and shaped chicken

As usual the US has got them all beat with their sacred hot dogs that they worship after putting relish, mustard and ketchup on them. Not forgetting the quality bun of course.

Cheers

jasper123 Nov 4th 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10976042)
As usual the US has got them all beat with their sacred hot dogs that they worship after putting relish, mustard and ketchup on them. Not forgetting the quality bun of course.

Cheers

I miss this cafe in Vegas I used to go in, along with other good things, they had this giant foot long polish all beef hot dog, Ive never tasted one better then this ever, they cooked it over a open flamed broiler, the sauerkraut dog was to die for!!! Dog and a beer was $3.00 ----- excellent :)

J.JsOH Nov 4th 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10973741)
Again I agree, that the UK is really the land of the free.

Getting blottered till you need and ambulance is insane, there needs to be some reform in that area, meening they need to reimburse the system, if they can afford to get drunk they can afford an ambulance ride and room for the night...

When in the Uk last month I noticed kids drinking to the extreme, from what I understand the kids drink till they are totally Drunk, the intention is to have an hangover so they are totally worthless the next day... I noticed parents seem to laugh it off, some just turn a blind eye, I really hate to see young people do this to themselves... it will cost them later on in life if they continue...

Boy, I sound like an old complainer...hahahaaaaaa

That old complainer would be me !!
I was quite the positive optimist in US but since I been back in UK there is more to disgruntle me, things I never saw (or read) when in the USA. I'm having to learn to have a thick skin, be blind and deaf to the UK's issues and become more self-centered and alright jack.

J.JsOH Nov 4th 2013 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10973257)
The New Job...

I'm really glad thats what you did Mummy, Enjoy your work but dont get overworked, I think its much better to have some free time and only have one boss than trying to please two, Id almost bet you get offered some overtime so that will come in handy if and when it does.

Id almost bet your hubby will enjoy working too, it gives us a purpose and we get to connect with other people...

Good for you guys, I'm glad the UK is working out for you...

For me there is some truth in that Fish. When I moved back it was away from working in an office environment for many years - and I came back to a unfulfilling job working from home (and initially temporary digs) with my colleagues being Germans in Germany (yet another culture shift) therefore I had nothing in common at work and was isolated at home in my work. A major culture shift at many levels. Wifey and I had each other but we were both in the same boat so it was hard to be back.
Lately I feel I am getting more adjusted to UK and my disposition is improving.

Bud the Wiser Nov 4th 2013 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10976138)
I was quite the positive optimist in US but since I been back in UK there is more to disgruntle me, things I never saw (or read) when in the USA. I'm having to learn to have a thick skin, be blind and deaf to the UK's issues and become more self-centered and alright jack.

Refreshingly honest.

jasper123 Nov 4th 2013 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10976138)

I know what you mean John, there are many things and issues over here that bother me, I tend to voice my opinion only when something disgusts me, like some of the silly things the government does and all the Billions of lolly they waste, but before I get on my soap box I then think of all the trillions that the U.S. throws away, I used to bitch about that while I was over there regardless of who was in power, there all wasteful and corrupt up to the eye balls, and to that regard its no different over here in U.K.
Before coming home I used to think that the U.S. had a monopoly on out of control corruption in the government, in the banks, the oil companies, the utility firms, pay day loan companies, and all the rest!!!!
But when you come home you realize that all these same corporations in the U.K. are just the same, it actually shocked me, I had no Idea the greed of big business was as bad over here, but it is!!!
But then I say to myself that Im home now, just chill out, and I remind myself that Im not a tax payer in this country, Im just a poor O.A.P. so I really have no right to get so angry,
But its not just the big corporations, just like America ----- over here the mentality of any good size business, let it be Furniture stores or department stores and all the rest, they all play there games to suck in the consumer, they advertise on TV all the time, for example a big nationwide furniture store chain would show say half dozen beds, and they say big sale on everything and it only lasts for 10 days and ends on a specific date, then after that sale ends a few days later there they are again advertising yet another so called sale, never ending sales, and all they do is double the price of something and then say its now slashed half price --- but only for a very limited time, yeah right!!! and they show beds slashed from £1,200 down to £600, sounds great right, trouble is that bed has never been sold for £1200, or anywhere near that price, and there mark up even on the £600 price is close to 60%, the government ran a so called enquiry on these big chain store gimmicks and dishonest advertising methods and actually named 5 big retailers that have been using these tactics for many years, and guess what the government warned them to stop doing it, ha ha ha they are all still doing it,
So you learn when you have been home for quite some time that its just like the States, everyone is out to literally screw you,
But turn a deaf ear and a blind eye and grow a thick skin and just remember that the U.K. is not anywhere close to the kind of country you left many years ago when you were all in your prime, when you could mostly trust everyone and every company you dealt with, ----- people talk about the gigantic greed of Corporate America, well welcome to the greed of Corporate U.K. its all here and its in your face every day, ---- but would I prefer to live here in the U.K rather then back in America ---- Hell Yes, yes indeed!!!! Im not going anywhere :D the U.K. certainly has its problems, and it has changed a lot over the last 40 years, but where in the world has not changed? even Kathmandu has changed a lot since I was there in the 1960's :p
and it seems everyone here is out for the fast buck, so it kind of makes you feel at home especially if your from the U.S. :(
The thing I'm happy about is at least now I'm at last free from that greedy multi Trillion dollar so called health care industry that America has to put up with ------ but thank goodness we don't!!! if there is just one thing that makes me very thankful that Im in the U.K. its that!!!! but there are lots of things I love about my life here, too many to talk about here, OK Phew!!! I feel a lot better now I got all that off my chest ;) alright I will now step off my soap box :)

Fish n Chips 56 Nov 5th 2013 12:12 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10976762)
I know what you mean John, there are many things and issues over here that bother me, I tend to voice my opinion only when something disgusts me, like some of the silly things the government does and all the Billions of lolly they waste, but before I get on my soap box I then think of all the trillions that the U.S. throws away, I used to bitch about that while I was over there regardless of who was in power, there all wasteful and corrupt up to the eye balls, and to that regard its no different over here in U.K.
Before coming home I used to think that the U.S. had a monopoly on out of control corruption in the government, in the banks, the oil companies, the utility firms, pay day loan companies, and all the rest!!!!
But when you come home you realize that all these same corporations in the U.K. are just the same, it actually shocked me, I had no Idea the greed of big business was as bad over here, but it is!!!
But then I say to myself that Im home now, just chill out, and I remind myself that Im not a tax payer in this country, Im just a poor O.A.P. so I really have no right to get so angry,
But its not just the big corporations, just like America ----- over here the mentality of any good size business, let it be Furniture stores or department stores and all the rest, they all play there games to suck in the consumer, they advertise on TV all the time, for example a big nationwide furniture store chain would show say half dozen beds, and they say big sale on everything and it only lasts for 10 days and ends on a specific date, then after that sale ends a few days later there they are again advertising yet another so called sale, never ending sales, and all they do is double the price of something and then say its now slashed half price --- but only for a very limited time, yeah right!!! and they show beds slashed from £1,200 down to £600, sounds great right, trouble is that bed has never been sold for £1200, or anywhere near that price, and there mark up even on the £600 price is close to 60%, the government ran a so called enquiry on these big chain store gimmicks and dishonest advertising methods and actually named 5 big retailers that have been using these tactics for many years, and guess what the government warned them to stop doing it, ha ha ha they are all still doing it,
So you learn when you have been home for quite some time that its just like the States, everyone is out to literally screw you,
But turn a deaf ear and a blind eye and grow a thick skin and just remember that the U.K. is not anywhere close to the kind of country you left many years ago when you were all in your prime, when you could mostly trust everyone and every company you dealt with, ----- people talk about the gigantic greed of Corporate America, well welcome to the greed of Corporate U.K. its all here and its in your face every day, ---- but would I prefer to live here in the U.K rather then back in America ---- Hell Yes, yes indeed!!!! Im not going anywhere :D the U.K. certainly has its problems, and it has changed a lot over the last 40 years, but where in the world has not changed? even Kathmandu has changed a lot since I was there in the 1960's :p
and it seems everyone here is out for the fast buck, so it kind of makes you feel at home especially if your from the U.S. :(
The thing I'm happy about is at least now I'm at last free from that greedy multi Trillion dollar so called health care industry that America has to put up with ------ but thank goodness we don't!!! if there is just one thing that makes me very thankful that Im in the U.K. its that!!!! but there are lots of things I love about my life here, too many to talk about here, OK Phew!!! I feel a lot better now I got all that off my chest ;) alright I will now step off my soap box :)

I'm sure most of us understand where you are coming from Rod...

Lots of business's in America are not regulated when it comes to pricing, look at car dealers, some add $5000 to the price of the car just because they can, believe me some people pay that addtional amount...

Adverts, I see it as a nessecary evil but I just hate them more and more, I will admit I'm too cheap to buy a machine that records shows and removes ads, I have to say this, in all fairness these companies would not pay to advertise unless people where not responding and buying their product no matter how lame it is, People are suckers for some of this junk...

Right now we are overrun with adverts for the Health Insurance, these companies are out for business as Obamacare comes into force in the new year, some of them make me sick talking down to us like we are a bunch of simpletons, One compares itself with other companies using a lump of Swiss Cheese, saying the other companies have more holesin their policies, they sure know what customers they are looking for...

You bring up pay day loans, I can tell you one of the largest companies operating in the UK right now is American based, it uses a different name in the UK so as to appeal to Brits, the same goes for some of the credit card companies, I'm sure there are plenty of British companies too, greed brings out the worst in people...

Celticspirit Nov 5th 2013 2:58 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9056223)
Attachment 97779

I'm much more handsome that this:lol:

Cheers

You are very cute;-). So fun to see posters faces ;-). Gotta get away from here.... too much to do in three weeks...scared to go.....
scared to stay.....no sleep.....41 years......to fast to think.

islandwoman120 Nov 5th 2013 5:18 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10974322)
Yes, I agree totally. It's all these antibiotics getting into our bodies that make so many immune to them these days; hence the reason super bacteria like MRSA can be so deadly.

And no one thinks about these poor, poor animals who are being given all this muck!

So many of the things that can kill us are man-made and it is all in the name of super profits. Disgraceful!

Just found this on the web - this doctor posts regularly and he is not liked by the mainstream organisations - because he tells it like it really is.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ign=20131105Z2