Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Mummy, you've been planning and waiting for this since I was a lurker way back when, I'm so happy your big day is just about here. Have a safe and happy trip, see you on this side!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

All the best Mummy - it's so close now...
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have booked my flights! Big sigh of relief. Dd and I fly out next Wednesday on Virgin from San Francisco to Heathrow, then onto Manchester. They were $1000 less for the two of us over the same tickets on British Airways.
I'm all a flutter here, feels more real than when we sent all our stuff off with the shippers.
Wow Pauline... Good for you, safe travels and best wishes...
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Mummy, all the very best!

Bon voyage and all happiness settling back in.

Hope you'll be able to keep us posted.....
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I have booked my flights! Big sigh of relief. Dd and I fly out next Wednesday on Virgin from San Francisco to Heathrow, then onto Manchester. They were $1000 less for the two of us over the same tickets on British Airways.
I'm all a flutter here, feels more real than when we sent all our stuff off with the shippers.
Good luck with the flights.. soon be home again..
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Great news, Mummy! You will soon settle back in and enjoy the rest of your life - in the home you have longed for, in the country you have longed for. Safe flight, and good landing.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Mummy, I wish you all the best for your family move to UK.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

MITF STAY CALM, me and lots on here who have already made the move to this side of the pond relate to what your going through, anyway congratulations, and I know how absolutely overwhelming everything must feel to you right now, so much to think of and so much to do, but its all sooooo worth it when your plane touches down, and after a while you settle down, good luck and I hope everything falls into place over here for you and your Daughter, and that you will be very happy,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS ----- great that you got a good deal on Virgin, I have flown Virgin for a long time, ever since they started non-stop flights from U.S. to London. and when I go back to Vegas next spring for a month vacation I will be flying Virgin then too.

PPS Ahhhhh I am adding this ----- as I just read a later post from you as you explain that your Hubby is following a week later cause of his work, I did wonder why you just said you and Daughter were flying out, so thats that cleared up
No Mummy please dont become like so many Expats ---- and forget about us all on this thread once they have returned, please keep us updated and let us know how your life is changing through time, you may think that once you have returned to your home land that you are no longer an Expat, and no one would be interested in you anymore, but we never stop being an Expat you know!!!! and you have a lot of friends on here too you know,
Have a Safe and comfortable flight,
Its sooooo exciting is'nt it

Last edited by jasper123; Aug 30th 2013 at 11:04 am.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:57 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

MITF. I am so happy for you. Have a safe journey and sleep like a baby when you get back. I am sure you will, after all hard work and stress of the last few months. Keep us posted on your adventures in Wales.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Anyone heard anything from Monique lately? (perthhomeschool) she went to Australia with her kids and hubby for a 3 year contract, hubbys Job!!!
Hello Rodney! I took a little break following the website virus incident. Feelbritish is correct - you must be mixing me up with someone else. I am in the US but returning to the UK in 2 years

After a year of research we have decided on Wales instead of England - the environs of Cardiff to begin with, and then somewhere nice and peaceful in the hills to live out our last days.

How are you and your mum? I am still trying to catch up with what I've missed but I see you don't post that much anymore. Keeping busy I bet All the best to you

Monique
Old Aug 30th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Big Congratulations! Keep Wales warm for us
Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I get the two towns mixed up, sorry.
I have spent 2 hours just now on Rightmove and looking at Conwy and I like what I see.
I have a good recollection from being there in June.
What I like, besides the reasonable houses, is the neighborhoods don't look industrial. That means the homeowners don't use their front for pilling junk including many cars, vans and caravans.

I noticed that you have moved across the ocean several times, as my mother did, so are you going back permanently? Or is that the plan at this point?

I can't remember if you are going to rent or buy?

Cheers
It is a nice area. We are buying. Thats todays job, get to the bank and sort out money!!

Originally Posted by jasper123
MITF STAY CALM, me and lots on here who have already made the move to this side of the pond relate to what your going through, anyway congratulations, and I know how absolutely overwhelming everything must feel to you right now, so much to think of and so much to do, but its all sooooo worth it when your plane touches down, and after a while you settle down, good luck and I hope everything falls into place over here for you and your Daughter, and that you will be very happy,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS ----- great that you got a good deal on Virgin, I have flown Virgin for a long time, ever since they started non-stop flights from U.S. to London. and when I go back to Vegas next spring for a month vacation I will be flying Virgin then too.

PPS Ahhhhh I am adding this ----- as I just read a later post from you as you explain that your Hubby is following a week later cause of his work, I did wonder why you just said you and Daughter were flying out, so thats that cleared up
No Mummy please dont become like so many Expats ---- and forget about us all on this thread once they have returned, please keep us updated and let us know how your life is changing through time, you may think that once you have returned to your home land that you are no longer an Expat, and no one would be interested in you anymore, but we never stop being an Expat you know!!!! and you have a lot of friends on here too you know,
Have a Safe and comfortable flight,
Its sooooo exciting is'nt it
I think your posts on moving have been so helpful, seeing you have had to file taxes and us the US embassy services, it's put Dh's mind at rest knowing that he can do everything needed through the Embassy.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Pauline! Keep us posted.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, it seemed like so long ago you were only in the planning stages but it does creep up and then wow it is time to book your tickets! Looking forward to your updates
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Mummy and Perth, a question about moving to Wales. I know little about Wales, it is a area we never seem to get to.

Are you Welsh and / or do you speak Welsh and if neither, do you anticipate any problems being (presumably) English and living in Wales?

I had a business trip couple years ago to Swansea by train through Cardiff and liked the look of the area although was only a fleeting glance.

Edit: I just saw conversations in "First Update" about anticipation of Wales and that you feel there will be no problems. Just that I recall from many many years ago some resentment by the Welsh of the English moving into Wales.
Anyway, it does look attractive there, something for us to consider for the future. We like coastline, countryside, small towns, hence we are here in Norfolk and have trouble making argument to move elsewhere even though we would eventually like to move off the estate we started on 30+ years ago. (can't be so bad here, Wills and Kate have prepared a house in Anmer not far from us and expect to move here once they leave Anglesey)

Last edited by J.JsOH; Aug 30th 2013 at 7:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.