Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Nov 25th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by windsong
Today has been really rough. My 50s were taken up with some ill health and surgery, the loss of both parents, layoffs and a few other things that made the decade zoom by. All of a sudden, today, I realize I am 61!!!! It hit me like a ton of bricks when I talked to a friend I hadn't seen in about eight years. I asked about another mutual friend and she told me she passed away six years ago. Then she told me that her own husband had a heart attack three years ago.

Why did it take this news to make me realize I am 61!!!

I think living in the USA makes you keep going, going, going - a sort of in-built anxiety that never ceases. You make yourself live to produce without giving much thought to your own life.

WOW - 61!

It's not so much being 61. It's the realization that I am getting old!
I totally relate to that and agree.

Before you know it we will be in the dreaded Old Folks Home.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Snow tyres.. for Yorkshire?!
I knew it was cold in yonder hills, but I wouldn't have thought there was a need for snow tyres. You should have moved to sunny Lancs instead.
You are messing with her now

I see that there is remote possibility that Yorkshire could become independent from the UK as Scotland is thinking of becoming.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

I just hope it is there and not here!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Today has been really rough. My 50s were taken up with some ill health and surgery, the loss of both parents, layoffs and a few other things that made the decade zoom by. All of a sudden, today, I realize I am 61!!!! It hit me like a ton of bricks when I talked to a friend I hadn't seen in about eight years. I asked about another mutual friend and she told me she passed away six years ago. Then she told me that her own husband had a heart attack three years ago.

Why did it take this news to make me realize I am 61!!!

I think living in the USA makes you keep going, going, going - a sort of in-built anxiety that never ceases. You make yourself live to produce without giving much thought to your own life.

WOW - 61!

Look at it this way, you have well and truly left those sad, unhappy 50's and now may look forward to the next decade. You are only as old as you feel. Pat yourself on the back and toast your health with a nice glass of wine or whatever and say to yourself that your turn will now come and when it is the right time you will finally return to where you came from. The past will be just that "past"

so Happy Happy birthday that is me toasting with you!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Look at it this way, you have well and truly left those sad, unhappy 50's and now may look forward to the next decade. You are only as old as you feel. Pat yourself on the back and toast your health with a nice glass of wine or whatever and say to yourself that your turn will now come and when it is the right time you will finally return to where you came from. The past will be just that "past"

I sincerely hope it will because life is a struggle for survival here as it is. Life won't begin until I go home. Talk abut the living dead! (I do sound positive today, don't I.)

Actually, I turned 61 in September - but it only dawned on me today!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I sincerely hope it will because life is a struggle for survival here as it is. Life won't begin until I go home. Talk abut the living dead! (I do sound positive today, don't I.)

Actually, I turned 61 in September - but it only dawned on me today!
Listen to me Windsong please. I will be 70 January 20, 2014. Coming up very soon. We have just had maybe a week's grace on moving out (purchasers have recently become part of a limited partnership of some sort and so lenders need to get more info even though they prequalified for the loan. IRS needs more paperwork.
Other than the Hyatt extended stay........I don't have the courage/mental capacity to make the change. This is my safe place. I just sent 1/2 of my belongings to a consignment store. That did me in. Now my daughter wants me to move to NYC as the other side of her duplex in Queens has vacated for at least a year's transition. My kids are everything to me. What to do????
You Tube - 300 Soapberry Circle, Irving Texas. That's my stuff :-(
I am in good health but after 41 years here.....and two attempts at going home.....what to do??
You are younger, most likely smarter (though I have a degree from Queens) but mostly a stay at home mom until I got into the fog world. Lots of study for judging. You can do it......you have attitude and spunk xxxxxxx
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Listen to me Windsong please. I will be 70 January 20, 2014. Coming up very soon. We have just had maybe a week's grace on moving out (purchasers have recently become part of a limited partnership of some sort and so lenders need to get more info even though they prequalified for the loan. IRS needs more paperwork.
Other than the Hyatt extended stay........I don't have the courage/mental capacity to make the change. This is my safe place. I just sent 1/2 of my belongings to a consignment store. That did me in. Now my daughter wants me to move to NYC as the other side of her duplex in Queens has vacated for at least a year's transition. My kids are everything to me. What to do????
I am in good health but after 41 years here.....and two attempts at going home.....what to do??
You are younger, most likely smarter (though I have a degree from Queens) but mostly a stay at home mom until I got into the fog world. Lots of study for judging. You can do it......you have attitude and spunk xxxxxxx
Sorry into the world of dogs
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Any snow to report?
Nothing here either, but lots on top of the mountains, they looked lovely with the sun shining off the snow over the weekend.

WOW - 61!

Oh I know what you mean about the go go go anxiety, ever now and then I still get that jerk in my stomach then I remember I'm in UK now and stop worrying so much.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

I have been researching senior accommodation and the guide cost is about $3000 per month so I don't think most people will afford that. I was doing this for my 93 year old MIL.

There is something about these homes that bothers me. Even the newer homes feel and look depressing.

It is nice to be around people your own age but I prefer to be around people of various ages.

Cheers
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I have been researching senior accommodation and the guide cost is about $3000 per month so I don't think most people will afford that. I was doing this for my 93 year old MIL.

There is something about these homes that bothers me. Even the newer homes feel and look depressing.

It is nice to be around people your own age but I prefer to be around people of various ages.

Cheers
Cheers, I was looking yesterday, too - but at Housing 21's homes. I agree about most of them looking depressing but there are some nice ones, too, that have much more character. Oddly, I found the nicer ones through a search on Google (Housing 21 + location). Housing 21 is a lot less expensive than $3000 a month, though.

My problem is my pets. I have two small dogs and normally these places will only accept one. I can't leave one behind. I would die without them. Why ever they don't build senior housing for people with pets, I don't know.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's a huge step to take alone. I know. If I had children here, I don't know what I would do. But I think even if I did, they would have their own lives and, although I would be part of it, the rest of me would feel very much alone because I wasn't living in a place that would make me happy - for myself.

I am sure your children don't want you to go but beware of any possible subtle manipulation that deters you from what you really want. If you decide to stay, make sure it is what you REALLY want - for the long term.

I know it's hard. (((((((((hugs)))))))))
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I am so with you right now! Our plans were to leave in two years, but DD has an interview for an accelerated BS/MA nursing program that will take 3 years. If she gets in we are seriously considering staying the extra year. A transition year might not be a bad thing at all for you. You get to spend some time with your children, but you are also much closer to NI. Maybe you can take a couple of trips over to see your brother in that time, and to look around - before you make the final move. Could be a plan...
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I am so with you right now! Our plans were to leave in two years, but DD has an interview for an accelerated BS/MA nursing program that will take 3 years. If she gets in we are seriously considering staying the extra year. A transition year might not be a bad thing at all for you. You get to spend some time with your children, but you are also much closer to NI. Maybe you can take a couple of trips over to see your brother in that time, and to look around - before you make the final move. Could be a plan...
Yes, I agree with all this, too. Half way there, so to speak, but not far enough that you can't change your mind.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish

You are 61 years young, windsong! Don't give up!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

You know Celtic everyone has to make their decision based not only on emotion but also on facts. However, for women, emotion is a big pull! Your major indecision and your fear may just well be alleviated should you take that one year transition. You will be able to think clearly and be close to family and see if it works out for you. Moving homes, losing furniture and possession and your house sale may just be just too much for you at this time to move back immediately. Take your little doggies, the furniture you love and treasure and try it out! You have nothing to lose except one year and you could join some clubs or make some friends there with connection to your home. Down South I doubt there is much "Celtic" or British roots but around New York and Boston there is a lot more (or so I think anyway) I can't remember if it was Windsong who said this, but when they found out they could not go back they were heartbroken, sounds like for you it may be the reverse!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.