Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
aries I hope you dont mind me asking but why do you only get that 24p a week on your UK pension? did you not work enough years in England before you emigrated to Oz, dont you qualify for a partial pension a lot bigger then that? sorry if Im being too nosy, you dont have to reply, just wondered,
I have 10 years of actual work credits in U.K. from when I was young so I qualify for about a third of the british pension, not much but it helps.
I was given credit for 5 years of work experience in the UK, including a couple of times I returned and worked. My pension was 18 pence a week until I returned, then increased to 23 pence, and is now 24 pence a week. I have no other UK benefits, but fortunately I have my Australian state pension which is a lot more than the one I could get here. The downside is that to qualify properly I was compelled to buy somewhere to live within 12 months. It would have been better for me to rent for ongoing choice, but wasn't possible. I had even thought that if I had rented, the interest on my savings would have made up the big shortfall, but I was shocked to find that interest rates in Britain are abysmally low. I was earning 5.4% interest in Australia, and still have an account there earning 3%.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
It doesn't exactly leave a hand free. It means you can use your hand to put the wool around the needle but you don't have to hold the needle at the same time, if that makes sense.
My Mam always held her needles that way as did all of her knitting friends if I recall correctly. Not sure if perhaps it improved the continuity of the stitches? I've seen old jumpers my Mam made years ago and you would swear they'd been machine knit, the stitches are so perfect. I only wish I were half as good!
Old Oct 28th 2012, 12:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I was given credit for 5 years of work experience in the UK, including a couple of times I returned and worked. My pension was 18 pence a week until I returned, then increased to 23 pence, and is now 24 pence a week. I have no other UK benefits, but fortunately I have my Australian state pension which is a lot more than the one I could get here. The downside is that to qualify properly I was compelled to buy somewhere to live within 12 months. It would have been better for me to rent for ongoing choice, but wasn't possible. I had even thought that if I had rented, the interest on my savings would have made up the big shortfall, but I was shocked to find that interest rates in Britain are abysmally low. I was earning 5.4% interest in Australia, and still have an account there earning 3%.
With a Bank of England rate set at 0.5%, what can you expect.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 1:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The BOE rate seems to be largely disconnected from bank interest rates, though. Banks have inflated their margins (so many mortgage IR's are not that different from when the BOE rate was at 3%, for example), and mortgage arrangement fees have gone through the roof, effectively meaning that the "interest" (charges) on most mortgages is still relatively high (or similar to what they were before BOE plummeted to 0.5%).

Savings rates, on the other hand do seem to be tied more closely to the BOE rate.

It's like the utilities companies - electricity rates are increased when the wholesale cost of electricity goes up, but mysteriously do not go down by an equivalent amount when wholesale costs go down (or they go down, but after a long time, whereas rises are almost instant). Same with petrol prices.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

My heart goes out to everyone living along the east coast, in particular New York City with the hurricane sandy approaching, NYC seems to be right in its path, sandy looks like a real bad one, everyone please be careful in the next few days
Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

We are watching on TV, Midwifes. I think it was the first one. Prefabs, bicycles and after the war!
Cheers
Old Oct 29th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
We are watching on TV, Midwifes. I think it was the first one. Prefabs, bicycles and after the war!
Cheers
Yes with Jenny Agutter from The Railway Children :-) loved it.....50's drama.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

My heart goes out to everyone living along the east coast, in particular New York City with the hurricane sandy approaching, NYC seems to be right in its path, sandy looks like a real bad one, everyone please be careful in the next few days
Thanks Rodney. Both my children live there - my daughter is in Queens and and seems very calm. My son lives in Manhattan and will stay at the hospital where he works in case they need to evacuate patients. I think I am more nervous than they are.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 2:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Hi Rodney

I'm in Switzerland right now as I recently got my US citizenship and have just joined my spouse whom is on an expat posting here and I'll now stay here in Europe for the forseeable future.

Our son (he's 24 today!) is going to have a memorable birthday; he is in our house in New Jersey, approx 18 miles due west of lower Manhatten. I just hope that our house will escape the worst of the storm - we have about a dozen large trees in the garden and I fear that they won't fare well in the strong hurricane force winds. Obviously my main concern is that life and limb will escape unscathed from this dreadful storm...I remember how awful it was in New Orleans after Hurricane Rita and how inept the then President Bush and the authorities dealt with it at that time....however with the Presidential election taking place next week I'm not surprised that Obama is staying in Washington DC to monitor the situation rather than going out on a rally today.

My best friend is self-employed in the fashion industry in Manhatten and we were chatting on Skype last night. She said she won't earn any money today and maybe tomorrow as she can't get into the city.

Actually 1 year ago to the day - 29th October - it snowed in NJ - that was a huge mess to deal with in all the municipalities as the leaves were still on the trees and the weight of the snow caused lots of branches to break off and many towns had power cuts. We went out for dinner to celebrate my son's birthday and when we arrived home there was a huge branch which had crashed onto the drive, exactly where his car had been a couple of hours earlier!

Last year, a couple of days after Hurricane Irene had struck, I'd just flown from London into Newark airport and got a taxi home (my son was at the NJ Devils ice hockey game). The whole street was in darkness - the power had been out for about 36 hours. My next door neighbours saw the taxi pull up and came to ask me about the state of our basement; theirs had been flooded up to 2 feet and they'd had to spend a fortune hiring a generator and dehumidifiers and their insurance company wouldn't cover a sizeable amount of their claim. We were very fortunate that our basement hadn't been flooded as our house is on a slightly higher elavation than theirs.....but I do fear that this time we may not be so lucky with the amount of rain being predicted.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 2:17 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum, thanks for posting an update. I was thinking about you when I heard about Sandy. I hope everything will be OK for your son and everybody else affected.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Actually 1 year ago to the day - 29th October - it snowed in NJ - that was a huge mess to deal with in all the municipalities as the leaves were still on the trees and the weight of the snow caused lots of branches to break off and many towns had power cuts.
Yes, that storm caused huge flooding in Bronxville where we lived, with power outages and trees down everywhere. It wasn't much snow but the leaves meant the trees came down so much easier than normal.

I am really worrying about my friends back in the US and also about the people who bought our old house. It's surrounded by trees so I was always afraid of one coming down on our roof. Now I'm worried about it happening to them.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, that storm caused huge flooding in Bronxville where we lived, with power outages and trees down everywhere. It wasn't much snow but the leaves meant the trees came down so much easier than normal.

I am really worrying about my friends back in the US and also about the people who bought our old house. It's surrounded by trees so I was always afraid of one coming down on our roof. Now I'm worried about it happening to them.
Sally my best friend who is a new yorker living in Vegas has his whole family living in new york, I have met his parents, they are both in there 90,s and as sweet as can be, Im worried about them, but my friend replied to my email and said that his sister has moved them out of there house into her house which is on higher ground, until after the storm, and I hope Sally that your friends will be alright and safe,

Englishmum
how is Switzerland, only been there once when I was 14 on a school trip 10 days near Lucern in a youth hostel chalet, it was great, always remember the beautiful site of the mountains, what a lovely country it is,

Englishmum, thanks for your update and I so hope your Son will be OK and safe throughout the storm,
Rodney.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning everyone, sorry no time for reading or catch up... same old story, but I wanted to say Hello and let my friends here know I am still with you all!
I went to USA for 5 weeks, it was wonderful to spend time with my children and my friends.. so very sad to say goodbye to the kids again though.. I love the UK but I think the pull of my children is just too great. Scared at the thought of health and dental issues in the future if I return to live in the US.. but thinking long and hard right now. How can I possibly live in the UK with my family there.. i know i wont be able to afford flights over there as I get older and we looked at flights for my children to come here for Christmas, it is over $900 each. They have no desire to move here either

I hope everyone is well and happy and I will read up on some of this thread later ( has the other 50s 60s one gone now?)

jasper and barb, how about that trip to London for a day out?
Old Oct 30th 2012, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Good Morning everyone, sorry no time for reading or catch up... same old story, but I wanted to say Hello and let my friends here know I am still with you all!
I went to USA for 5 weeks, it was wonderful to spend time with my children and my friends.. so very sad to say goodbye to the kids again though.. I love the UK but I think the pull of my children is just too great. Scared at the thought of health and dental issues in the future if I return to live in the US.. but thinking long and hard right now. How can I possibly live in the UK with my family there.. i know i wont be able to afford flights over there as I get older and we looked at flights for my children to come here for Christmas, it is over $900 each. They have no desire to move here either

I hope everyone is well and happy and I will read up on some of this thread later ( has the other 50s 60s one gone now?)

jasper and barb, how about that trip to London for a day out?
Hello Charley, I'm sorry things are still tough for you, not sure what else to say...

Yes the 50s-60s thread was terminated a few weeks ago, sad to see it go but admin had good reasons, it had lost its way it seems...
Old Oct 30th 2012, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
More!!

The truth is I didn't research interest rates in the UK, naïvely I expected them to be at much the same rate as Australia. Wth all the stress of selling my house and giving everything away, my mind was on gaining a good exchange rate to make the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.