Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi aries,
very nice to hear from you again, about , when I was getting rid of all my old stuff that has been in my life for years, just like everyone else it was a real chore, its hard to decide what to bring with you when you leave,
but I learned real fast that the only way to do it is to be very ruthless indeed,
after all I believe we are all coming home for the chance of a new life, so I really think its important to come home and surround our apartment/house with new furniture and everything, and to make the actual physical move so much more simple, and I have found that over here in UK there are so many charity thrift stores that sell (like new) quality furniture and everything else for the house and so inexpensive that it really wouldn't cost much at all to replace all the stuff you had in your place in your adopted country, and fresh new lovely things to surround you, certainly the replacement cost for everything would be a fraction of the cost to ship all your things back home,
and speaking for myself after I fully declutered all the furniture and a heap of other stuff, and shredded all the endless paperwork that you keep for decades etc etc I felt a wonderful sense of freedom, free of the past, and looking forward to the future (:
we havent heard from you for a while aries, how have you been doing?
take care,
Rodney.
Hello Rodney, I've recently been in hospital for a week suffering a serious lung infection caused by the massive damp mould discovered under the carpet in my bedroom. I'm still on big doses of steroids which have unpleasant side effects, but I've restarted to play table tennis and have begun a German course.

Hopefully the tanking has worked, the room is decorated, and I've been able to sleep in there after nearly 3 months sleeping on the floor of the lounge. However the bathroom is yet to be converted to a shower room, and until that has been done some bad mould memories will remain.

My big new (and expensive!) leather reclining chairs in the lounge are a joy, I can now stretch out and sleep in front of the TV when the need arises, my nights of late finishing at 4.00 in the morning because I can't get back to sleep. Early breakfasts and taking the steroids do of course mean that I'm ready for another breakfast by 10.00, and then nearly ready for lunch!! It reminds me of all my travels by ship between England and Australia in the 1960s and early 1970s, we lived from meal to meal and snack to snack, a marvellous time compared with the modern day rush and being squashed into small spaces of aircraft.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:36 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

About the pharmacy, that is indeed ridiculous! Perhaps they are working along the lines of the Post Office, which has traditionally shut around noon on Saturday, I believe....still it's daft, when people work all week, and especially in UK when most shops don't stay open after 5:30...does the pharmacy (or perhaps you should say "chemist" now, as we always did before the word "pharmacy" crept back over to the UK!!) at least have some late weekday evening hours?

Tina
Nope - 9 to 5pm! I think I'll have to switch to Boots but that means a trip into town rather than the handy parade of shops nearer home.

On the plus side, I'm prescribed enough migraine pills to last a whole month now (I used to be allowed only 4 per month by my US insurance company) and I am also allowed the brand that works rather than the one my insurance company forced me to have. So now that I know the opening hours, I can work around the weirdness.

Aries, so sorry to hear you have been ill. Hope you continue to feel better. I too am loving having got rid of all our junk and being surrounded by new things. We did bring some furniture with us just to make things easy, but that will go once we buy a house as it's probably not going to fit.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:43 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
In other news, I finally found a negative about the UK. The local pharmacy shuts at 1pm on a Saturday!! Not knowing this, I went to pick up a much-needed prescription at 2pm and found it shut down. What kind of business shuts at 1pm on a Saturday???

I know it's not much of a complaint, but I feel I never say anything negative so at least now I have
Our local library does the same thing. I'd think Saturday was the best day for many people who work all week, but they close at 1pm. It's not as if they stay open late during the week. I think they should be open on Saturday and closed on Monday, and open till 9pm one night a week.

Bev
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 12:25 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Truro, Cornwall shopping with my two SIL about 10 years ago. I was busy looking at clothes when a bank of lights went out. I thought, oh a problem with the lights. A few minutes later more lights went out. Then a third set. It had become very dark. I looked around to see what was going on. There was practically no one to be seen! My own light bulb went off then - OMG it's 5 o'clock and the shop is closing! I rushed out of there and found my two SIL outside on the pavement wondering where I was.

I didn't say anything about almost getting locked in - felt silly at forgetting that they didn't stay open until 9 p.m.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Books, books and more loverly books!

I gave away a few boxes of books during one of my moves about 10 years ago and have always regretted it. Now I'm looking at my bookshelves and thinking I can't part with any of them. They all transport me to a time and place and hold a memory of where I was when I read them. I have goodness knows how many quilting and textile books and I love every one of them. There are maybe two or three I could part with.

And that takes me to my sewing room...... fabric stash, notions, thread. Overwhelmed just thinking about it. Think I need a nap.
Cardienscarf - I gave my fabric/sewing stash to my next door neighbour, a lovely lady I've known for 40 years. I was a bit sad to be parting with it but she is a quilting fanatic and seeing the look on her face as she went through all the "goodies" was worth it. She was like a kid at Christmas. She delved right in and I even got to see a finished project she'd used some of my stuff in before I left. I guess it helps a lot if you can give your treasures to someone you love.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Our local library does the same thing. I'd think Saturday was the best day for many people who work all week, but they close at 1pm. It's not as if they stay open late during the week. I think they should be open on Saturday and closed on Monday, and open till 9pm one night a week.

Bev
Our local library is open till 6 pm Mon, Tues and Fri, 7pm on Thurs, 1pm on Wednesday ( shades of the old Early Closing day?) and 4 pm on a Sat.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised to know that the post office (inside W H Smith these days) is open until 5.30 pm 6 days a week. I had become used to South Australia where they closed at 5.00 pm on Friday and didn't open until the following Monday.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I was surprised to know that the post office (inside W H Smith these days) is open until 5.30 pm 6 days a week. I had become used to South Australia where they closed at 5.00 pm on Friday and didn't open until the following Monday.
I think the ones inside shops keep longer hours that the ones that are just Post Offices.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

In other news, I finally found a negative about the UK. The local pharmacy shuts at 1pm on a Saturday!! Not knowing this, I went to pick up a much-needed prescription at 2pm and found it shut down. What kind of business shuts at 1pm on a Saturday???

I know it's not much of a complaint, but I feel I never say anything negative so at least now I have
You don't play football do you? Are you sure you are from Yorkshire?

Cheers
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why but I have had no notifications from here for a few days.

I'm a bum today. @ 2:30pm and I'm still in my PJ's.

Wow, I've just caught up with Aries! I wondered what had happened to her! She was posting on another thread. We have a few things in common. She is the same age as me, she has an ipad also. OK she has moved to Torquay so now I have to investigate that area and see what it all about.

Cheers
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanks for the tour and now I have to look up Totnes

Cheers
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

This should be on the thread "Location..." but I'm putting it on here. It a nice house in a nice village near Totnes and as things go, it is reasonably priced.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

for those of you who like to look at property.

Cheers
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't know why but I have had no notifications from here for a few days.

I'm a bum today. @ 2:30pm and I'm still in my PJ's.

Wow, I've just caught up with Aries! I wondered what had happened to her! She was posting on another thread. We have a few things in common. She is the same age as me, she has an ipad also. OK she has moved to Torquay so now I have to investigate that area and see what it all about.

Cheers
Don't mention ipad please........dropped mine on its end on the hardwood floor in its protective case. Small dent in the aluminium edge, but no sound/volume, overheating and not charging. Just got it in March:-( off to the Apple store tomorrow to see if it's fixable).
It is so good to hear Aries is getting to a happy place with her health and apartment.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Don't mention ipad please........dropped mine on its end on the hardwood floor in its protective case. Small dent in the aluminium edge, but no sound/volume, overheating and not charging. Just got it in March:-( off to the Apple store tomorrow to see if it's fixable).
It is so good to hear Aries is getting to a happy place with her health and apartment.
Just placify yourself that its old and outdated anyway
Todays news is the small ipad was introduced by apple today.

I read about a sim card that could be put in an ipad. Is that possible?

I just had my question answered. The apple store said some models do. It has to be a AT&T model.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope there is a simple solution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.