British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Mar 27th 2017 9:48 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12213424)
Thanks all! JG we are leaving in 2-3 weeks :eek:

WOW Perth thats fantastic, Im so pleased that you both finally are coming home, I bet your very excited :thumbsup:

Perth Mar 27th 2017 3:37 pm

Thanks everyone :wub:
Flights booked for April 8th :britflag:

spouse of scouse Mar 27th 2017 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12214280)

:wave::drinkingwine::britflag::drinkingpals:

Editha Apr 3rd 2017 11:39 am

Congratulations, and I hope your move goes smoothly.

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2017 11:41 am

Not long now...how exciting. :britflag:

Mallory Apr 4th 2017 11:29 am

Safe trip Perth. Good luck with the move. :starsmile:

BEVS Apr 8th 2017 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Perth
Flights booked for April 8th

...& she's off. :D

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 8th 2017 7:13 am

Todays the Day, all the best to you, travel safe and enjoy the Journey of resettlement.

Derrygal Apr 8th 2017 12:03 pm

All the best Perth! I wish you a safe journey and happy landings :starsmile:

Jerseygirl Apr 10th 2017 12:45 am

Are you there yet? ✈️🇬🇧

mikelincs Apr 10th 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12225313)
Are you there yet? ✈️🇬🇧

She should be, so in honour of that....

Perth Apr 10th 2017 5:31 pm

We arrived yesterday but still on the move. As soon as I catch my breath I will post an update on Back Home. May I just say that as soon as we took a train ride cross country and I saw the new-born lambs on the hillside I literally cried::britflag::heart::drinkingwine::thumb:

Perth Apr 10th 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12225575)
She should be, so in honour of that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4v2cP-MDo

Thank you Mike! :cry_smile:

spouse of scouse Apr 10th 2017 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12226049)
. May I just say that as soon as we took a train ride cross country and I saw the new-born lambs on the hillside I literally cried::britflag::heart::drinkingwine::thumb:

You lovely, sentimental Pom :heart:
Welcome home my friend :drinkingwine::britflag::heart::kiss::thumbsup:

Fish n Chips 56 Apr 10th 2017 11:01 pm

We arrived yesterday but still on the move. As soon as I catch my breath I will post an update on Back Home. May I just say that as soon as we took a train ride cross country and I saw the new-born lambs on the hillside I literally cried::britflag::heart::drinkingwine::thumb:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh isnt it Lovely...

There is something Wonderful about being HOME, I wish I was there too.

Thanks for the update, its like the good old days...

curleytops Apr 11th 2017 9:29 am

The lambs were out on my own homecoming 6 years ago. They really are a beautiful sight and whenever I see newborns, my mind wanders back to that beautiful happy day. Welcome home Perth.
:britflag:

feelbritish Apr 11th 2017 9:53 am

Welcome Home Perth!! I myself always feel that wonderful feeling when I walk in the countryside and see the new life appearing! We did a lovely 6km walk yesterday along Thames and through farms near Henley-on-Thames and I felt just so at home! Never ever had this feeling all the time I lived in Canada!

michali Apr 13th 2017 11:26 pm

Just seen this! Welcome home! :welcome:

mikelincs Apr 27th 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 12239482)
I am living in Australia but was reading about the American social security system for retirees.
Apparently you can draw retirement at 62yrs but receive less than if you wait until you are 65yrs. My question is do you have to pay into it like the British system while you are working with insurance stamps. Or is it taken out of the tax you have paid while working, like the Australian system, which is means tested.

Probably better to post that question in the USA forum as this is a UK specific forum.

Jerseygirl Apr 27th 2017 10:29 am

Black swan I have moved your post into a new thread over in our US forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...tirees-896014/

Jerseygirl Apr 27th 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12239514)
Probably better to post that question in the USA forum as this is a UK specific forum.

Thanks Mike. :)

cheers May 2nd 2017 2:31 am

I want to wake up this site so can you tell me how much a small chocolate bar costs or an order of fish and chips? I know it may vary.

I want to have enough money when I come next week:thumbsup:

Cheers

mikelincs May 2nd 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12242460)
I want to wake up this site so can you tell me how much a small chocolate bar costs or an order of fish and chips? I know it may vary.

Cheers

Where we are our regular order of two cod and one lot of chips comes to £10.30, but this, of course, is on the south coast. Chocolate bars can be bought, as part of a multibuy four for a pound, single big bars can be £1. depends on where and what are on special offer.

dontheturner May 2nd 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12242460)

Cheers

Well Cheers - Don't bother with Cadburys - It is not the same - Since Kraft took over, it does not taste as it used to. Buy Foreign - from either Aldi or Lidl. it tastes GOOD!.

Perth May 2nd 2017 8:51 am

Thanks everyone for your good wishes on our return. I have post something in Back Home - "Back Three Weeks."

curleytops May 2nd 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 12242588)
Well Cheers - Don't bother with Cadburys - It is not the same - Since Kraft took over, it does not taste as it used to. Buy Foreign - from either Aldi or Lidl. it tastes GOOD!.

I was about to say the same thing Don, Cadbury's chocolate is rubbish these days and I love those boxes of little bars of chocolate you get at Aldi and Lidl. The milk chocolate hazlenut and the white chocolate are absolutely delicious and you can get other varieties with fruits and nuts in them as well. Depending on the type, they run approximately 99p - £1.60 (ish) for a box with 5 bars.

The other big grocery stores usually have some kind of bars on 2 for £1 for the standard size bars, it varies.

As for fish & chips - Our new local favorite charges £5.65 for a large cod and chips (which hubby and I split, so I'm still a cheap date). About the same as we were paying when we lived in Cumbria but I would imagine this would vary around the country.

dontheturner May 2nd 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12242786)
I was about to say the same thing Don, Cadbury's chocolate is rubbish these days and I love those boxes of little bars of chocolate you get at Aldi and Lidl. The milk chocolate hazlenut and the white chocolate are absolutely delicious and you can get other varieties with fruits and nuts in them as well. Depending on the type, they run approximately 99p - £1.60 (ish) for a box with 5 bars.

The other big grocery stores usually have some kind of bars on 2 for £1 for the standard size bars, it varies.

As for fish & chips - Our new local favorite charges £5.65 for a large cod and chips (which hubby and I split, so I'm still a cheap date). About the same as we were paying when we lived in Cumbria but I would imagine this would vary around the country.

Hi Curleytops - My local Chippy Favourite is Roe. Just love it, cannot get the big tins now though, as my Wife would be doing it, using Thai batter Mix, which is so moreish! Hoping to retire back to thailand,soon, but the £ pound is not helping. PS - I am so lucky, at 86, to have the get up and go, still, And you?/

curleytops May 2nd 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 12242844)
Hi Curleytops - My local Chippy Favourite is Roe. Just love it, cannot get the big tins now though, as my Wife would be doing it, using Thai batter Mix, which is so moreish! Hoping to retire back to thailand,soon, but the £ pound is not helping. PS - I am so lucky, at 86, to have the get up and go, still, And you?/

Good to hear you're doing well Don, hopefully your plans will get sorted soon. After having lost about 100 lbs in the past 3 years or so, getting about is much easier and we're really enjoying Northumberland.

Fish n Chips 56 May 2nd 2017 3:25 pm

What about Mars chocolate.

Perth May 2nd 2017 6:42 pm

Any suggestions for good sugar free chocolate for diabetics?

Novocastrian May 2nd 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12242907)
Good to hear you're doing well Don, hopefully your plans will get sorted soon. After having lost about 100 lbs in the past 3 years or so, getting about is much easier and we're really enjoying Northumberland.

As are we. Northumberland is a well kept secret. Long may it remain so.
We had a great time and a long walk at Beamish yesterday. Memories reawakened. (OK that's in Durham)

God, if I lost 100 lbs, I'd weigh in at midget flyweight. :(

Not eating chocolate might be the key. :nod:

curleytops May 3rd 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12243121)
As are we. Northumberland is a well kept secret. Long may it remain so.
We had a great time and a long walk at Beamish yesterday. Memories reawakened. (OK that's in Durham)

God, if I lost 100 lbs, I'd weigh in at midget flyweight. :(

Not eating chocolate might be the key. :nod:

That thought crosses my mind every time I see those ghastly scenes of wall to wall people crammed onto the beaches in better known areas every summer.

Beamish is definitely on our "to do" list.

mikelincs May 3rd 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12243516)
That thought crosses my mind every time I see those ghastly scenes of wall to wall people crammed onto the beaches in better known areas every summer.

Beamish is definitely on our "to do" list.

Give yourself a full day to do it properly, otherwise you will be rushed.

cheers May 3rd 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12243077)
Any suggestions for good sugar free chocolate for diabetics?

I am a diabetic but they say I can "cheat" occasionally.
I have low readings in the morning and over 150 in the pm.
I am more worried of low sugar than high sugar although I know they are both bad.
My question is how many millions of people are unaware they have diabetes?

Cheers

cheers May 3rd 2017 3:05 pm

Cheap date huh?
Last night I bought my wife 3 tacos for a dollar. Its a Tuesday special at Del Taco (1pm-8 pm I think.) That is what she wanted. She doesn't like to cook at this point. We had to throw out 3 big tomatoes and some bacon the other day.
Oh she loves the big Hot Dogs from Costco which cost $1.50 and you get all the soda (root beer) you can drink (which is free refills) included.

I realize some of you have never lived in the Americas but you can probably get the gist of what I'm saying.

Cheers

cheers May 3rd 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12242568)
Where we are our regular order of two cod and one lot of chips comes to £10.30, but this, of course, is on the south coast. Chocolate bars can be bought, as part of a multibuy four for a pound, single big bars can be £1. depends on where and what are on special offer.

that works out at 30 US cents which is quite cheap.
Chocolate bars cost a dollar here except when they go on sale.
We will be in the Crawley/Copthorne area for a few days and then Southampton for one night next week.
Off the subject but we plan on Visiting Churchills Chatwell House and on another day ride the Bluebell Train.

cheers May 3rd 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 12242844)

Don thanks for the update! Glad you are well and active. I'm now 79 but mentally think I'm 59 or even younger.

Stay in touch. Good luck on returning to Thailand.

Cheers

cheers May 3rd 2017 3:56 pm

I had a interesting experience last week because I went to the funeral of a neighbor. I knew he was a 89 year old German. I didn't get to speak to him very much because our paths never crossed, and it was brought out that he was a leader in the Nazi Youth which I think he joined at 8 years old. He was drafted in the Nazi Army at 14.
His family (American) said he tried to explain to them the other side of the war. I know Hitler became very popular after he improved the economy and his beef was the realigning the borders after WW1. But he was a real mad man.(understatment)
I have seen some documentaries recently that were never before seen and part of them is interviewing Nazi Veterans and leaning of their experiences.
They also talked to allied veterans (they are quite old now) and some of them said they were quite troubled when they found out that towards the end of the war the enemy were children in uniform. He said one Nazi child soldier cried out "Mummy!" for his mother when he was shot and was dying. Sickening!
Well I think it is best to be forgotten but good to remember and try and see it doesn't happen again. What am I saying? It is happening today in Syria!
Cheers

Editha May 3rd 2017 4:28 pm

Hitler's 'economic miracle' was achieved partly by excluding women and jews from unemployment figures, as well as anyone in a concentration camp. Conscription helped too.

cheers May 3rd 2017 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12243816)
Hitler's 'economic miracle' was achieved partly by excluding women and jews from unemployment figures, as well as anyone in a concentration camp. Conscription helped too.

Also building up the war tools was a big part.