British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

J.JsOH Nov 29th 2016 9:31 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 12116227)
YOU NO WHAT I THINK IS WEIRD?
Well if you have been away from the UK for a very long time like me and many of us on here, you are separated from everything at home completely, so I left to go to the states in the mid 70,s and returned 2010 so a long time away!!! missing all the British telly through the decades, so in coming back home you gradually get to know and like TV stars and personalities that you never seen before, people that started to build there careers long after I left like Bradley Walsh from the Chase for instance,

And now Iv'e been home for 6 years already and starting to think that I have seen all the famous people on TV now so I know as much about British TV as the rest of the population!!!
But no not at all, it seems to be a never ending learning escalator that we are on, ----- now lets take a show called Pointless!!! I love the show and have been watching it for 6 years now hosted by Alexander Armstrong who I never heard of until I came home,
now just yesterday I was watching with great interest an interview with Alexander televised at his large country home, and they went back to his early life and how he started off in TV, and I learned that way before pointless he had a TV sit com for 15 years with a man called Ben Miller who I have only known before from his recent TV commercials for Tesco, NOW I learn that Ben Miller himself goes back a couple of decades in TV, the sit com was called simply ------- Armstrong and Miller,

So the point I'm making is if you Immigrated to your adopted country 30 or 40 years or more ago, and you haven't been able to come home for visits to often, like me every 5 years for 3 weeks stay for example, most personalities you see on TV today were not even born when we left in the 1970's so when we come back the only people on TV that we may know is people that go way back, people who were famous before we left like Bruce Fosyth. and the man that plays Ken Barlow in Coronation street, but people at there ages are mostly retired now ---- like Bruce himself just this year!!!!

Likewise with music and sport celebrities. I've had too many sideways looks when asking "who is that then?" that I keep quiet now. Then since I don't want to be thought of as always going on about the US I generally don't have much to say in conversations except to chat about current and future, and of course, the weather.

Pulaski Nov 29th 2016 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12108759)
When my husband met me 26 years ago I had a strong English accent, even after having been here in the US for 11 years. Even our daughter had my accent, despite being born here. At some point, though, I lost it. Not sure when or why. But I hate it. So first on the agenda when I get back will be to recover it :nod:

As far as I can tell my accent hasn't changed since I was eight years old when I left Sheffield. My accent was never strong, but I don't sound anything like the natives of Glawster, where I completed school, nor Landan where I lived until I left for the US. Fifteen years in the US doesn't seem to have changed anything either - people still ask about my accent almost every week, often two or three times, and many people think I must have arrived recently! :lol:

J.JsOH Nov 30th 2016 8:51 am

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12117350)
I had a weird Thanksgiving.
I went to Salt Lake City and stayed overnight in Midway, Utah.
Midway is close to where the Winter Olympics were and it is like I imagine Switzerland would look like. It has lots of Swiss like chalets on the mountains surrounding it. It is next to Park City which is a big ski area. Very pretty
Our dinner was petite. French chef and all that so we don't have to eat turkey left overs for ten days.
OK what stood out in my mind is the ride up there which took 4 hours The speed limit has been raised to 80 MPH which is too fast for me. So I drove for over 4 hours at 80 miles per hour.
Fortunately I didn't have to put snow chains on my car.
It is so nice to be home. No place like home!
Cheers

Cheers, see attached pics for what Switzerland looked like to us this past September. I was charmed by it.

jasper123 Nov 30th 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 12117750)
Cheers, see attached pics for what Switzerland looked like to us this past September. I was charmed by it.

OH YEAH!!! Thanks for sharing John :thumbsup:

cheers Nov 30th 2016 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 12118034)
OH YEAH!!! Thanks for sharing John :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Midw...KNBN5zQMfDM%3A

Switzerland in the US

J.JsOH Nov 30th 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12118164)

From your pics, Cheers, Midway UT does bear a resemblance to Switzerland,

Perth Nov 30th 2016 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12117438)
As far as I can tell my accent hasn't changed since I was eight years old when I left Sheffield. My accent was never strong, but I don't sound anything like the natives of Glawster, where I completed school, nor Landan where I lived until I left for the US. Fifteen years in the US doesn't seem to have changed anything either - people still ask about my accent almost every week, often two or three times, and many people think I must have arrived recently! :lol:

It's a funny thing that: some lose their accents, some don't. Who knows why. Stranger still, like me, hanging on to it for years and then one day just letting it go - although I do still have the odd word here and there that still sounds British enough for someone to notice.

Perth Nov 30th 2016 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 12117750)

Lovely!

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 1st 2016 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12118397)
It's a funny thing that: some lose their accents, some don't. Who knows why. Stranger still, like me, hanging on to it for years and then one day just letting it go - although I do still have the odd word here and there that still sounds British enough for someone to notice.

Been here since 76, I changed from what was a Sheffield Yorkshire accent "Love" lol to something people could understand fairly quickly, I've always worked around the public and needed to be understood, slowing down my speech really helped a lot, Its nice that Americans were amused, so patient and understanding.

I can go back to the UK and they think I'm an American, here in the states people often think I got off the boat yesterday.

Today I met someone who my wife had spoken to over the phone, this young lady was totally fascinated with my wife's voice, In fact her boss told me she wanted to meet us, Heck I love when this happens, just talking, it makes my day and gets plenty of smiles.

What I find interesting is this, that I'm often asked about policies in the UK and
seem to get blamed for anything the UK does that Americans doesn't like, for example Brexit, one guy jumped down my throat really upset, after his rant I explained that I had no real clue about Brexit as I hadn't lived in the UK for 40 years.

On the good side they were happy William married Kate, I had nothing to do with Williams decision but people wanted to tell me how happy there were, I'm sure the same has happened to many of.

One of my sisters can turn her accents off and on at will to suit the situation, even then people all know shes British.

Derrygal Dec 1st 2016 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12118539)
Been here since 76, I changed from what was a Sheffield Yorkshire accent "Love" lol to something people could understand fairly quickly, I've always worked around the public and needed to be understood, slowing down my speech really helped a lot, Its nice that Americans were amused, so patient and understanding.

I can go back to the UK and they think I'm an American, here in the states people often think I got off the boat yesterday.

Today I met someone who my wife had spoken to over the phone, this young lady was totally fascinated with my wife's voice, In fact her boss told me she wanted to meet us, Heck I love when this happens, just talking, it makes my day and gets plenty of smiles.

What I find interesting is this, that I'm often asked about policies in the UK and
seem to get blamed for anything the UK does that Americans doesn't like, for example Brexit, one guy jumped down my throat really upset, after his rant I explained that I had no real clue about Brexit as I hadn't lived in the UK for 40 years.

On the good side they were happy William married Kate, I had nothing to do with Williams decision but people wanted to tell me how happy there were, I'm sure the same has happened to many of.

One of my sisters can turn her accents off and on at will to suit the situation, even then people all know shes British.

:lol:

curleytops Dec 1st 2016 10:47 am

I've got one of those ON/OFF switches myself Fish although I don't use it much these days. Hubby found it rather unnerving one day when he heard me talking to a friend from Canada on the phone. I think he thought I'd been possessed or something.

I was always under the impression that I sounded as if I was straight off the boat although when I was back over here on my recce six years ago, a lot of people asked me if I was Canadian or American. Like you, I had to make myself understood when I left for Canada and I think I unconsciously slowed my speech down. We did know the odd Geordie over there and it was nice just to be able to relax and not worry about them not understanding the lingo.

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 1st 2016 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12118763)
I've got one of those ON/OFF switches myself Fish although I don't use it much these days. Hubby found it rather unnerving one day when he heard me talking to a friend from Canada on the phone. I think he thought I'd been possessed or something.

I was always under the impression that I sounded as if I was straight off the boat although when I was back over here on my recce six years ago, a lot of people asked me if I was Canadian or American. Like you, I had to make myself understood when I left for Canada and I think I unconsciously slowed my speech down. We did know the odd Geordie over there and it was nice just to be able to relax and not worry about them not understanding the lingo.

Curely...

Geordies, O.M.G. that's a totally different situation, we made good friends with some when we first arrived, even we had plenty of difficulty understanding them at first, we finally caught on then became translators for them sometimes, Great Folks I have to say.

cheers Dec 1st 2016 3:34 pm

Rodney if you ever wondered why you left Las Vegas go and read the news for Las Vegas today on Las Vegas Review-Journal | The most reliable source for Las Vegas news.
The lifestyle there is sick. It is so common for people to loose their lives by acts of violence.

May I,

Merry Christmas:britflag:

Cheers

J.JsOH Dec 1st 2016 9:20 pm

As you say, Fish, happens to us all.

While in the US;
I recall sorrow expressed to me by a customer over the death of my Princess (Diana)
And a Sheriff's Deputy that blamed me for the death of his grandfather in WWII.

But then I have heard similar inane comments here in UK about 'Yanks'.

Hope you are well, good to see you still staying in touch.
John

feelbritish Dec 2nd 2016 7:18 am

I have a really confusing accent to people. Growing up in Cape Town English suburbs with English grandparents, I never really did sound like a typical "sarf affrikan". After living here in Buckinghamshire for a couple of years, when I went home one of my friends teased me about being so "posh". Then when I moved to Canada, I definitely confused them there because I soon picked up some slight Canadian accent, the lilt at end of sentances and tomato sounded like potato! I was often asked if I was from New Zealand. However after returning on holiday to SA 4 years later my little niece asked if I was American! Back here now people tentatively ask if I am South African because accent has changed again and " tomato " is now normal. However when on phone to my friends in CT hubby says I go into SA mode! He on the other hand had a very strong London accent when I met him and since being with me and being away from Essex has dropped much of it! In Canada he was asked a couple of times if he was South African so being married to me and travelling out there regularly rubbed off on him. Having so many different accents now on tv I think also mixes up people because when I was growing up in Cape Town we only had the BBCEnglish to listen to plus the nuns at school drumming English diction into us!

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 2nd 2016 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 12119334)

While in the US;
I recall sorrow expressed to me by a customer over the death of my Princess (Diana)

John

I'm fine John and Thankyou.

Wow your WWII comment is unreal, Oh yes we've all heard those "Yanks" comments.

Lady Diana, If only she was alive now.

Good see you as always.

Jerseygirl Dec 2nd 2016 2:51 pm

Your posts always make me smile. :goodpost:

cheers Dec 2nd 2016 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12119861)
I'm fine John and Thankyou.

Wow your WWII comment is unreal, Oh yes we've all heard those "Yanks" comments.

Lady Diana, If only she was alive now.

Good see you as always.

You know of course that 'the Donald' wanted to date her?

MidAtlantic Dec 2nd 2016 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 12119334)

While in the US;

John

I was here in the US on business when Princess Diana died. One of my business contacts brought a bunch of flowers to me in my hotel so that I could take them home.

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 3rd 2016 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12119872)
Your posts always make me smile. :goodpost:

Well that's a nice thing to say, Thankyou!.

Was it the "Love" comment that did it?

It seems Sheffield has a language all its own, If I want a dose of reality I watch "The Full Monty".

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 3rd 2016 1:26 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12119973)

I didn't know that, makes you wonder if they would have stayed married, LoL Heck she was farrrrrrrr too good for him.

I remember what I was doing when I heard she'd past on , What an unbelievable Saturday that was, In my eyes she will always be a lady.

J.JsOH Dec 3rd 2016 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12120225)

It seems Sheffield has a language all its own, If I want a dose of reality I watch "The Full Monty".

We had a few days visit to Sheffield earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it, people were very pleasant.

Derrygal Dec 3rd 2016 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12119973)

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12120227)
I didn't know that, makes you wonder if they would have stayed married, LoL Heck she was farrrrrrrr too good for him.

I remember what I was doing when I heard she'd past on , What an unbelievable Saturday that was, In my eyes she will always be a lady.

Yea - way too good for the likes of him! Hell - anyone is too good for him. He's such an assh*le.

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 4th 2016 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 12120697)
Yea - way too good for the likes of him! Hell - anyone is too good for him. He's such an assh*le.

Derry you said it much better than I.

Jerseygirl Dec 4th 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12120225)

Not just the 'love' comment but the way you write your posts.

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 12120487)
We had a few days visit to Sheffield earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it, people were very pleasant.

Sheffielders are the salt of the earth. :thumbsup:

Fish n Chips 56 Dec 4th 2016 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12121001)
Not just the 'love' comment but the way you write your posts.

Sheffielders are the salt of the earth. :thumbsup:

Salt of the Earth is Rate Luv!!! So glad you enjoyed Sheffield John...

I usually write like I speak, that's why my posts are usually long, its all in the details.

Thanks again...

shelley748 Dec 20th 2016 6:38 pm

Hi everyone- thought I would pop in and say HI! Still in Canada- now decided to wait and see how things look when I retire. (4 years hopefully) nervous about moving back for a number of reasons; 1. healthcare; 2. crime and refugee immigrants 3. ability to live somewhere quieter but with good access to good healthcare.

Canada is so expensive now its not even funny- Liberals in charge Federally and in Ontario- our electricity (hydro) highest in North America- my monthly bill for 651 KWH usage is $221 per month, around 111 pounds.

Thinking I would like to move somewhere south in Dorset or Devon/Somerset...

thoughts/advice?

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Giantaxe Dec 21st 2016 1:06 am

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 12133391)
Canada is so expensive now its not even funny- Liberals in charge Federally and in Ontario- our electricity (hydro) highest in North America- my monthly bill for 651 KWH usage is $221 per month, around 111 pounds.

Canada's carbon tax is (almost) revenue neutral so I look on this as a positive about Canada.

Why conservatives have it wrong about Trudeau’s carbon tax - The Globe and Mail

jasper123 Dec 22nd 2016 10:59 am

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 12133391)
Hi everyone- thought I would pop in and say HI! Still in Canada- now decided to wait and see how things look when I retire. (4 years hopefully) nervous about moving back for a number of reasons; 1. healthcare; 2. crime and refugee immigrants 3. ability to live somewhere quieter but with good access to good healthcare.

Thinking I would like to move somewhere south in Dorset or Devon/Somerset...

thoughts/advice?

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Shelley they say Portsmouth is a lovely place to live, with Southsea a couple of miles away where they have daily boat trips to France, and a short ferry ride to the Isle of white,

cheers Dec 26th 2016 9:38 pm

So I got to see the match between Chelsea and Bournemouth today Boxing day.
This Christmas I missed my mothers mince pies and her bunloaf to name a few.
Cheers

Perth Dec 29th 2016 3:11 pm

Wishing everyone here at MBttUK a very happy new year. If one of your goals for the year is to go home, may your dream come true. Otherwise, a very happy and healthy one to one and all :drinkingwine:

cheers Dec 29th 2016 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12138447)
Wishing everyone here at MBttUK a very happy new year. If one of your goals for the year is to go home, may your dream come true. Otherwise, a very happy and healthy one to one and all :drinkingwine:

A Happy New Year to you and all the contributors on here.
I will be there in May.
Unfortunately I will just visiting.
Cheers

jasper123 Jan 1st 2017 12:35 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS ON THIS THREAD, AND MAY 2017 BE THE YEAR THAT ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE,
STAY SAFE AND PROSPER, AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :thumbsup:

cheers Jan 1st 2017 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 12140197)
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS ON THIS THREAD, AND MAY 2017 BE THE YEAR THAT ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE,
STAY SAFE AND PROSPER, AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :thumbsup:

Same to you and all the rest of the contributors.

Cheers

shelley748 Jan 2nd 2017 12:44 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 12134677)
Shelley they say Portsmouth is a lovely place to live, with Southsea a couple of miles away where they have daily boat trips to France, and a short ferry ride to the Isle of white,

Thanks Jasper...I worry about healthcare and crime, should I be?

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 2nd 2017 11:27 pm

A Happy New Year to you all on Over 40s.

Hey Maltesers fans, I want you to know that I just found little bags in my local gas station on an upright floor display, and Yes from Great Britain, not Australia like the boxes I found in Walmart before Christmas... the ones from Oz were good enough, but the ones from GB are the real deal. Yummm

Mummy in the foothills Jan 7th 2017 5:07 pm

I'm a bit late checking in, but Happy New year to all my online friends.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 7th 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 12145312)
I'm a bit late checking in, but Happy New year to all my online friends.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Pauline, Same to you dear... we hope its a nice one for you...

BEVS Jan 8th 2017 2:49 am

Belated Happy New Year 2017 to all on this thread.

Hope it is a healthy ad happy one for all of us.

best regards
BEVS

Mummy in the foothills Jan 8th 2017 6:34 pm

Hope you are well too Bevs and Fish have a great year.
I'm on the hunt for new job, I don't see myself long term in the one I have. Fingers crossed I have a couple of leads.