British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Jan 14th 2017 10:50 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 12146078)
I'm on the hunt for new job, I don't see myself long term in the one I have.

You should do OK especially now that you now know the language:
btw
There is 12 foot of snow on Donner this week!
There is also so much rain lately that the reservoirs are almost filled up.
I hope your mom is doing OK! Is she still living in the same place?
Cheers

cheers Jan 14th 2017 11:02 pm

Many of you know Louise (Finger Rolls and Folding Chairs). She has posted recently and she is doing well in Yorkshire. Some times she has depressed spells.
She has no regrets of moving back to the UK and loves it here and all it has to offer. She has been back 5 years this April.

Cheers

Mummy in the foothills Jan 19th 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12152047)
You should do OK especially now that you now know the language:
btw
There is 12 foot of snow on Donner this week!
There is also so much rain lately that the reservoirs are almost filled up.
I hope your mom is doing OK! Is she still living in the same place?
Cheers

LOL Yes I figured out the language.
Just accepted a new job today, so it's 5 mins further away but the pay is better, so can't be bad. Working my notice when I get back of my annual leave this week. :thumbsup:

Mums still in the same place, busy running about the country and staying in nice hotels with her friend. I swear she got younger not older over the last few years.
My friend post lots of pictures for me to see on facebook, including snow, her Daughter works up in the snow near one of the ski resorts, they appear to have had some adverse weather with heavy rains lower down the hill.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 19th 2017 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12152053)
Many of you know Louise (Finger Rolls and Folding Chairs). She has posted recently and she is doing well in Yorkshire. Some times she has depressed spells.
She has no regrets of moving back to the UK and loves it here and all it has to offer. She has been back 5 years this April.

Cheers

Sorry to hear of her depression, many people in this world suffer with it, I have myself over the years, I find reflection and being greatful for what I have is my way of dealing with it, although sometimes its a very difficult corner to get out of.

I would never uses drugs although it may work for some, I always feel they create problems as well as solve them, its mind over matter for me.

Tomorrow I will have been here 41 years, its not exactly what Id got planned for my life, I was hoping Id be back in the UK before Obama left office, He's the best President we've had in my opinion.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 19th 2017 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 12156024)
LOL Yes I figured out the language.
Just accepted a new job today, so it's 5 mins further away but the pay is better, so can't be bad. Working my notice when I get back of my annual leave this week. :thumbsup:

Mums still in the same place, busy running about the country and staying in nice hotels with her friend. I swear she got younger not older over the last few years.
My friend post lots of pictures for me to see on facebook, including snow, her Daughter works up in the snow near one of the ski resorts, they appear to have had some adverse weather with heavy rains lower down the hill.

Its good to hear that you are back on track Pauline, Good for you!...

Perth Jan 19th 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12156046)

Tomorrow I will have been here 41 years, its not exactly what Id got planned for my life, I was hoping Id be back in the UK before Obama left office, He's the best President we've had in my opinion.

Fish, I agree with you. There has been no family finer to run the country. It is an unfortunate date to "celebrate" your 41st anniversary. We also hoped to be gone before now, but at least our application is finally in. It is a waiting game for us now. I will continue to wish for a speedy return for you.

Derrygal Jan 19th 2017 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12156046)

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12156133)
Fish, I agree with you. There has been no family finer to run the country. It is an unfortunate date to "celebrate" your 41st anniversary. We also hoped to be gone before now, but at least our application is finally in. It is a waiting game for us now. I will continue to wish for a speedy return for you.

Tomorrow will be a very sad day for America - I'm seriously thinking of wearing black to work...................:(

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 20th 2017 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 12156416)
Tomorrow will be a very sad day for America - I'm seriously thinking of wearing black to work...................:(

Derry you should, Huhhh what about just an armband, more to the point.

To be serious I'm quite worried as I dont think he is a person I can trust, I see him as major supporter of the 1%, while the 99% suffer even more, only time will tell.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 20th 2017 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12156133)

Thanks for your comments, No Finer Family and no scandals.

Yes its hardly a day to celebrate, I cried the day Obama was elected, I was so thrilled, Tomorrow they wont be tears of joy that's for sure.

I hope all runs smooth for you down the road...

Perth Jan 21st 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12156477)
Thanks for your comments, No Finer Family and no scandals.

Yes its hardly a day to celebrate, I cried the day Obama was elected, I was so thrilled, Tomorrow they wont be tears of joy that's for sure.

I hope all runs smooth for you down the road...

Thank you Fish. I'm all cried out. There's an Obama Foundation if you still want to keep up with the former first family.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 21st 2017 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12157786)
Thank you Fish. I'm all cried out. There's an Obama Foundation if you still want to keep up with the former first family.

Thanks Perth, My wife was telling me about that, truth is I want what I cant have, thats Obama running the country.

aries Jan 22nd 2017 10:10 am

From my observations Obama wasn't particularly friendly towards the UK, and last year tried to influence the EU referendum.

Now at the end of his term he is trying to influence Germany's next election by supporting Angela Merkel. I think during his term the US special relationship has been with Germany, not the UK.

Barack Obama's final call as president went to Angela Merkel | World | News | Daily Express

We may not like the idea of Trump being in command, but hopefully he will be a better friend than Obama.

Editha Jan 22nd 2017 12:33 pm

If I'd been Obama, my last call to a world leader would have been to Merkel too. She has become a shining beacon of liberal democracy in a darkening world.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 22nd 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 12158137)
From my observations Obama wasn't particularly friendly towards the UK, and last year tried to influence the EU referendum.

Now at the end of his term he is trying to influence Germany's next election by supporting Angela Merkel. I think during his term the US special relationship has been with Germany, not the UK.

Barack Obama's final call as president went to Angela Merkel | World | News | Daily Express

We may not like the idea of Trump being in command, but hopefully he will be a better friend than Obama.

I didnt agree with Obama and his input on Brexit, but on the whole he was fabulous, His approval rating was very high and it would have been higher if the Republicans hadnt said no to everything, all they did was hurt this country.

You need to research Trump and that Golf course in Scotland and see how he treated the Scots who lived there, they did a TV show about it too, he is arrogant to say the least.

The documentary is called "You've been trumped" available on You Tube.

cheers Feb 9th 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 12158137)

Right on!
Cheers

Mallory Feb 11th 2017 1:14 am

This is going to be a long four years. It's a nightmare. I simply cannot believe that this nutcase is the president. He is eligible for British citizenship, as his mother was from Scotland. Can we please send him back to Scotland to tend to his so-called golf course!

scot47 Feb 11th 2017 5:57 am

We have enough golf courses - and enough crazy people here in Scotland already. Leave him where he is. The Constitution is designed to prevent presidents becoming dictators.

Derrygal Feb 11th 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12176847)
This is going to be a long four years. It's a nightmare. I simply cannot believe that this nutcase is the president. He is eligible for British citizenship, as his mother was from Scotland. Can we please send him back to Scotland to tend to his so-called golf course!

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12176915)
We have enough golf courses - and enough crazy people here in Scotland already. Leave him where he is. The Constitution is designed to prevent presidents becoming dictators.

I am half Scottish and have several family members living there, including my sister. Scot 47 is correct - they don't want him there!
Totally agree with you Mallory - he is a total nutcase. I actually think he is mentally ill, but my daughter says he is just a narcissist. I cannot believe he got elected. It is embarrassing for the United States to have someone like him as their president. He is going to ruin this country. That said - I don't believe he will last the 4 years - something will happen and he will end up getting impeached. I am not a Republican - but I am very proud of our governor here in Ohio (John Kaisch). He saw through him right from the start and after he withdrew from the race refused to endorse him and refused to attend the RNC here in Cleveland last July. More republicans need to stand up to him. The whole situation is ridiculous. BTW, there is a whole other thread about Trump in the "Take It Outside" section of BE forum.

Editha Feb 11th 2017 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 12177090)
I am half Scottish and have several family members living there, including my sister. Scot 47 is correct - they don't want him there!
Totally agree with you Mallory - he is a total nutcase. I actually think he is mentally ill, but my daughter says he is just a narcissist. I cannot believe he got elected. It is embarrassing for the United States to have someone like him as their president. He is going to ruin this country. That said - I don't believe he will last the 4 years - something will happen and he will end up getting impeached. I am not a Republican - but I am very proud of our governor here in Ohio (John Kaisch). He saw through him right from the start and after he withdrew from the race refused to endorse him and refused to attend the RNC here in Cleveland last July. More republicans need to stand up to him. The whole situation is ridiculous. BTW, there is a whole other thread about Trump in the "Take It Outside" section of BE forum.

If Trump is impeached, Mike Pence becomes Potus. I don't see that as much of an improvement.

Derrygal Feb 11th 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12177100)
If Trump is impeached, Mike Pence becomes Potus. I don't see that as much of an improvement.

Unfortunately, that is very true................

BEVS Feb 12th 2017 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12158348)
You need to research Trump and that Golf course in Scotland and see how he treated the Scots who lived there, they did a TV show about it too, he is arrogant to say the least.

The documentary is called "You've been trumped" available on You Tube.

Here you go. Made me sick.

Editha Feb 13th 2017 10:35 am

Thanks for that Bev.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 13th 2017 9:47 pm

More people need to see how Trump treats people, Thanks for posting Bev.

cheers Feb 14th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 12179047)
More people need to see how Trump treats people, Thanks for posting Bev.

Well we know how the Clintons treat people don't we?

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 15th 2017 3:18 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 12179958)
Well we know how the Clintons treat people don't we?

I dont see them going to Scotland and see them treating Scottish people like Dirt.

robin1234 Feb 15th 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12177100)

I have to disagree with you. With Trump, the world is closer to big power instability and nuclear war and the end of civilisation. Pence, I believe, would restore the tried and true norms of foreign relations and defence, and we'd be back on track with a good chance of survival.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 15th 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12180336)
I have to disagree with you. With Trump, the world is closer to big power instability and nuclear war and the end of civilisation. Pence, I believe, would restore the tried and true norms of foreign relations and defence, and we'd be back on track with a good chance of survival.

I totally agree, Pence and Trump are different, Id take anyone over Trump at this point, he is just not that stable in my mind.

scot47 Feb 15th 2017 9:20 am

Then same forces that got rid of Kennedy and removed Nixon from power are already at work. In Turkey they call it "The Deep State". There is a similar phenomenon in the USA.

Here's hoping they get him out before he presses that button.

Editha Feb 15th 2017 10:02 am

Yes you are right. Pence would be an improvement. I was wrong.

spouse of scouse Feb 15th 2017 11:47 am

Thank you for the documentary link BEVS. I don't despise many people, but I despise Trump and all he stands for.

Perth Feb 15th 2017 8:50 pm

There is a second film - You've Been Trumped Too - but not sure where it is available in the UK. We saw it when it first came out, I think on Amazon US.

Perth Mar 26th 2017 1:40 am

After 4 1/2 years of planning and preparing my husband and I are finally on our way home! I can't tell you how much I have appreciated your company along the way. Not going anywhere, but just wanted to say thanks guys. Couldn't have made it without you :heart: :britflag:

fulwood Mar 26th 2017 2:59 am

Good luck Perth!

verystormy Mar 26th 2017 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12213145)
After 4 1/2 years of planning and preparing my husband and I are finally on our way home! I can't tell you how much I have appreciated your company along the way. Not going anywhere, but just wanted to say thanks guys. Couldn't have made it without you :heart: :britflag:

You couldn't have picked a better time.

Spring has arrived wonderfully. Yesterday I was out walking the dog in the fields with daffodils looking stunning and the sun shining in blue sky and warm enough to sit outdoors in a t-shirt. Today is the same and forecast to be next week.

Jerseygirl Mar 26th 2017 11:40 am

When are you leaving?

All the best. Please update us as soon as you can. Safe travels.

Where is the 'green with envy' emoji?

curleytops Mar 26th 2017 12:23 pm

Congratulations Perth, have a safe journey!

Perth Mar 26th 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks all! JG we are leaving in 2-3 weeks :eek:

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 26th 2017 3:33 pm

Congratulations, 2-3 weeks, How Wonderful, I hope everything turns out well for you.

Jerseygirl Mar 26th 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12213424)
Thanks all! JG we are leaving in 2-3 weeks :eek:

Wow...that's wonderful. Stressful no doubt...but wonderful.

Good luck.

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 27th 2017 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12213349)
When are you leaving?

All the best. Please update us as soon as you can. Safe travels.

Where is the 'green with envy' emoji?

Agree, in some ways I am very jealous.

Good luck Perth:nod::thumbsup: