British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong Feb 10th 2013 11:14 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10536677)
Hello Windsong,
And its very nice to hear from you again, how are you? I dont think they had green cards in the days of silent movies ;) you know when Charley Chaplin was a young man,
Rodney.

Hi Rodney!!! It's nice to hear from you :) Yes, you are probably right about the green cards. I hadn't heard of such a thing until I arrived here. That was a long time ago and I am still praying I can go home at some point. It is a long time in coming.

Are you still enjoying life in Britain? :)

jasper123 Feb 10th 2013 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10536681)
Hi Rodney!!! It's nice to hear from you :) Yes, you are probably right about the green cards. I hadn't heard of such a thing until I arrived here. That was a long time ago and I am still praying I can go home at some point. It is a long time in coming.

Are you still enjoying life in Britain? :)

Yes Windsong I am still absolutely loving life in England, this is my favorite time of the year, its been raining heavy all day here in the south, I love the rain, always will :D
Coming home for good isn't possible for a lot of people on here, but thats alright too, life is very short and it dont matter where we are really as long as we can get some enjoyment out of life, and to try and be happy,
Cheers is coming home for a month soon, that will be good for him, he will love it!!!
Trotty is coming home for a holiday soon too, and I cant think of anyone that deserves a nice break over here then that lady,
So if a visit to UK is all some people can do right now ---- well me thinks thats fine,
I am just so grateful that I was able to come back home a couple of years ago to spend some time with my Mum, she's 94 in June, me 68 in June,
Take care,
Rodney.

cheers Feb 11th 2013 12:06 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10536653)
What has the State Department got to do with it. Don't I send the application to the British Consulate and the Consulate then returns it directly to me?

You might find out that the US passport is about half the price of a US issued UK passport.
US passport is issued by the US State Department.

windsong Feb 11th 2013 1:29 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10536725)
You might find out that the US passport is about half the price of a US issued UK passport.
US passport is issued by the US State Department.

Ohh, so you were referring to the US passport ;) I didn't even think of that. I always think of the British passport lol. I thought it odd that the State Dept in the USA would have anything to do with issuing British passports.

windsong Feb 11th 2013 1:30 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10536697)
Yes Windsong I am still absolutely loving life in England, this is my favorite time of the year, its been raining heavy all day here in the south, I love the rain, always will :D
Coming home for good isn't possible for a lot of people on here, but thats alright too, life is very short and it dont matter where we are really as long as we can get some enjoyment out of life, and to try and be happy,
Cheers is coming home for a month soon, that will be good for him, he will love it!!!
Trotty is coming home for a holiday soon too, and I cant think of anyone that deserves a nice break over here then that lady,
So if a visit to UK is all some people can do right now ---- well me thinks thats fine,
I am just so grateful that I was able to come back home a couple of years ago to spend some time with my Mum, she's 94 in June, me 68 in June,
Take care,
Rodney.

I am so glad you are enjoying it, Rodney :thumbsup:

I will get back there eventually, hopefully within the next couple of years :) Until then, it remains my dream ;)

If your mum is 94, then you must be doing a lot of good for her - and she for you :)))

Mummy in the foothills Feb 11th 2013 1:33 am

Checked my credit card today and Washington has taken the money for Dd's UK passport :thumbsup: I also balanced my check book to find the cheque for my US passport has been cashed, so :thumbsup::thumbsup: new passports winging their way to us I hope.
:fingerscrossed: That our next ones needing renewal are done from UK.

dontheturner Feb 11th 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10536697)
Take care,
Rodney.

Sprog.

curleytops Feb 11th 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10536592)
Rhyl North Wales
Beacon
North Devon
Ashford Kent

Cheers, pity you hadn't come last year before we left Kent, we were minutes away from Ashford, we could have met up for a pint. Did you say you were going to be visiting Downton Abbey?

between two worlds Feb 11th 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10536814)
I am so glad you are enjoying it, Rodney :thumbsup:

I will get back there eventually, hopefully within the next couple of years :) Until then, it remains my dream ;)

If your mum is 94, then you must be doing a lot of good for her - and she for you :)))

Good to see you back windsong. Hope the dream can begin to shift into reality.

curleytops Feb 11th 2013 7:24 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10536594)
Yes, indeed he was - but he was not a citizen. Even so, I am shocked! I thought a green card was protection and I would think he had one of those.

I suspect the rumours about Communist sympathies & involvement had something to do with his difficulties with the US govt.

Lorac05 Feb 11th 2013 10:48 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10537157)
I suspect the rumours about Communist sympathies & involvement had something to do with his difficulties with the US govt.

True - and it was also felt if he had appealed against the revoking of his re-entry permit then he could gained entry back to the US if he had wished. He chose not to and moved to Switzerland after sending his wife back to claim his fortune.

I think he was ready to move away and did not like the way the US goverment and the McCarthy investigations were blackballing artists using the threat of communist sympathies - which in many cases were unfounded - to blacken their names.

So really using Chaplin as an example of a man being denied entry back to the US after 40 years of legal and gainful employment is really a misleading one :sneaky:

curleytops Feb 11th 2013 11:10 am

Lorac Long time no see! How's life back home treating you? Good to see you on the forum again!:starsmile:

lf1 Feb 11th 2013 12:48 pm

I have just posted a six month update in the "Back Home" section. Thought I would let my over 50 pals know as I don't think I am allowed to copy it into this thread.:)

jasper123 Feb 11th 2013 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10537590)
I have just posted a six month update in the "Back Home" section. Thought I would let my over 50 pals know as I don't think I am allowed to copy it into this thread.:)

IF1 could you copy it into a link and post it on here, I would love to read it, its just that I dont know how to get into the back home section, yes you ARE able to post a link on this thread,

dunroving Feb 11th 2013 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10537746)
IF1 could you copy it into a link and post it on here, I would love to read it, its just that I dont know how to get into the back home section, yes you ARE able to post a link on this thread,

Here you go, pal.

lf1 Feb 11th 2013 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10537750)

Thanks Dunroving.

cheers Feb 11th 2013 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10536817)
Checked my credit card today and Washington has taken the money for Dd's UK passport :thumbsup: I also balanced my check book to find the cheque for my US passport has been cashed, so :thumbsup::thumbsup: new passports winging their way to us I hope.
:fingerscrossed: That our next ones needing renewal are done from UK.

Can you confirm the cost of the UK passport?

cheers Feb 11th 2013 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10537148)
Cheers, pity you hadn't come last year before we left Kent, we were minutes away from Ashford, we could have met up for a pint. Did you say you were going to be visiting Downton Abbey?

Strictly speaking I'm only allowed to drink water but thanks for the thought. (Who follows strick rules:D)?

Yes we have tickets for Downton Abbey.

cheers Feb 11th 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10537150)
Good to see you back windsong. Hope the dream can begin to shift into reality.

There are few others who need to be checking in. Salt Spring Island, where are you?

cheers Feb 11th 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10537157)

True but how many millionaires have sympathy for the commies?

Mummy in the foothills Feb 11th 2013 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10536592)
Rhyl North Wales
Beacon
North Devon
Ashford Kent

Rhyl? :eek: Poor you. :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Feb 11th 2013 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10537845)
Can you confirm the cost of the UK passport?

It was a childs one and cost about $167 off the top of my head. could have been slightly more or less.

cheers Feb 11th 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10538123)
Rhyl? :eek: Poor you. :lol:

I said Rhyl but I should have said Snowdonia. Is that better?

cheers Feb 11th 2013 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10538126)
It was a childs one and cost about $167 off the top of my head. could have been slightly more or less.

Just looked it up and it is $211. Do you agree?

cheers Feb 11th 2013 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10538126)

$134 for a child.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 11th 2013 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10538145)
I said Rhyl but I should have said Snowdonia. Is that better?

Much better

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10538171)
$134 for a child.

Hmmm I just went and checked my Credit card and they charged $167 maybe that includes the posting back to me? Or they've gone up yet again!

windsong Feb 11th 2013 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10538168)

Cheers, is this the cost of renewing a U.S. passport for an adult?

jasper123 Feb 11th 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10537143)
Sprog.

SPROG? Whats it mean? :confused:

Mummy in the foothills Feb 11th 2013 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10538168)

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10538623)

No thats the cost of an Adult UK passport.
The US passport for an adult costs $110

bluenose123 Feb 11th 2013 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10538677)

Army twang Roders.
Young. ********

windsong Feb 11th 2013 10:00 pm

I am getting a bit concerned about matters in the UK. I have been doing a lot of reading on different sites. What is going on with the immigration over there? I have been reading about complaints from the UK citizens because some of the animals killed for meat are not stunned before they are killed (halal meat!) - and they should indeed be outraged at this! I never thought I would see the day when Britain would do such a thing.

Are there really so many immigrants over there that "our" British laws are being changed to accommodate them to the extent that it is destroying the British way of life? In my opinion, this is just not right! What other laws have changed because of all these immigrants?

I have also read about immigrants sapping the welfare benefits dry over and above UK-born citizens.

I went to university in Scotland with students from many other countries. They were my friends and I accepted them gladly. But if they want to stay in "my" country, then they adhere to UK laws. UK laws should not change to accommodate immigrants." If it destroys the British way of life, our culture, then surely some measures to prevent immigration, or at least so much of it, should be put in place. In other words, if they don't like the UK and living a British way of life, then they should perhaps consider leaving.

jasper123 Feb 11th 2013 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10537750)

Thanks dunroving,

Good post IF1, I love reading peoples updates on moving home, Ive written many posts on my moving home in the past 2 years, I think it really does help the folk that have not yet made the leap over the pond.

jasper123 Feb 11th 2013 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by bluenose123 (Post 10538701)
Army twang Roders.
Young. ********

Ohhhhhhhhhhh thanks bluenose ----- didn't know ----- never been in the Army, never liked taking orders, ------ I was more like the rebel James Dean type when I was young ;)

bluenose123 Feb 11th 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10538746)
Ohhhhhhhhhhh thanks bluenose ----- didn't know ----- never been in the Army, never liked taking orders, ------ I was more like the rebel James Dean type when I was young ;)

Trust me young Rodney, you would have learnt, either the hard way or any other. :):)

cheers Feb 11th 2013 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10538623)

No. It is the cost to renew a British passport here in the UK.

windsong Feb 11th 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10538808)
No. It is the cost to renew a British passport here in the UK.

Thank you, Cheers :)

cheers Feb 11th 2013 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10538702)
I am getting a bit concerned about matters in the UK. I have been doing a lot of reading on different sites. What is going on with the immigration over there? I have been reading about complaints from the UK citizens because some of the animals killed for meat are not stunned before they are killed (halal meat!) - and they should indeed be outraged at this! I never thought I would see the day when Britain would do such a thing.

Are there really so many immigrants over there that "our" British laws are being changed to accommodate them to the extent that it is destroying the British way of life? In my opinion, this is just not right! What other laws have changed because of all these immigrants?

I have also read about immigrants sapping the welfare benefits dry over and above UK-born citizens.

I went to university in Scotland with students from many other countries. They were my friends and I accepted them gladly. But if they want to stay in "my" country, then they adhere to UK laws. UK laws should not change to accommodate immigrants." If it destroys the British way of life, our culture, then surely some measures to prevent immigration, or at least so much of it, should be put in place. In other words, if they don't like the UK and living a British way of life, then they should perhaps consider leaving.

Oh ho!

This is a touchy subject with some people. Look at the mess here in the US.
I forget how long you have been away from the UK but it is my impression that some cities in the UK you would be the foreigner.
I'm sure you would find the so called foreigners very nice as you mentioned the students you met in school in Scotland. They are hard working and law abiding with a few exceptions. It is the ones who are British and haven't had a good up bringing that you have to watch out for. For example just look at the number of policemen who have lost their lives while on duty and off duty recently. Shocking.
Windsong, I'm sure we are on the same page in our views but in the US and UK and in the rest of the world the makeup of the population is changing.
Think of the Carabbean and the South Pacific and how things have changed for them with the yuppies moving in from Germany, the UK and the US and Canada.

cheers Feb 11th 2013 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10538677)

I looked it up on Google and I'm still not sure I know what the meaning is.

windsong Feb 11th 2013 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10538845)
Oh ho!

This is a touchy subject with some people. Look at the mess here in the US.
I forget how long you have been away from the UK but it is my impression that some cities in the UK you would be the foreigner.
I'm sure you would find the so called foreigners very nice as you mentioned the students you met in school in Scotland. They are hard working and law abiding with a few exceptions. It is the ones who are British and haven't had a good up bringing that you have to watch out for. For example just look at the number of policemen who have lost their lives while on duty and off duty recently. Shocking.
Windsong, I'm sure we are on the same page in our views but in the US and UK and in the rest of the world the makeup of the population is changing.
Think of the Carabbean and the South Pacific and how things have changed for them with the yuppies moving in from Germany, the UK and the US and Canada.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, Cheers. This animal/meat issue made me see red.

You are right. I was thinking about the USA after I wrote my post. Heaven forbid the UK should become the same, although I see many areas where it is moving in that direction - and many other countries, too. Here comes the global, multinational economies. :eek: :(

In one post I read, someone suggested the UK become what Switzerland is or used to be. Not a bad idea. It has also made me question what Scotland would do about immigration if Scotland ever became a separate country (although that is not my personal choice).

I didn't think about the problem being with the children/young adults of the immigrants but, of course, they are the ones who would be the problem because many of them were probably born in the UK and so it is now their country, too, and they practice what they have been taught by their parents and in their own "religious venues". I wish I could think of a good solution for this mess. Ohh, how I wish the people who pass these laws had thought out all of this much more clearly beforehand!!

Maybe, too, it is time the UK reverted to being an independent country, separate from the EU. I am darned if we should lose control over the laws of our own country.

Of course, no matter what is happening over there, it won't change my decision to return. It is always going to be better than the USA and, above all, it's home.

It would grieve me greatly to see the British culture disappear.

PS: I forgot to mention, per your comment, Cheers, that I have been away 30 years. I never wanted to come to the USA and always regretted it. At the time I had little choice in the matter.

Simon Legree Feb 11th 2013 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10538848)
I looked it up on Google and I'm still not sure I know what the meaning is.

Sprog is a slang term for a child. :)