Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
HELLO Angie and welcome to our little thread, how long have ya been lurking on here for ---- time to come in and have a nice cup of tea and chocolate digestive biscuit with us and a nice chat,
OK lets talk turkey ----- I arrived on December 1st and gatwick was closed due to the worst snow storm in 100 years so plane was diverted to Heathrow, back home with my Mum stranded and not being able to leave the house for 6 days cause the snow was so deep up to way past your belly button
Then the sun came out and it took a day but it melted away all the snow, it got warmer but still cold, January & February was cold & windy at times, rain from time to time, around 1 to 5 degrees centigrade most days, March was cold and windy ----but then came the shocker April and may came along and most days the temps were around 75 and very sunny, but thats where I am down South in Portsmouth, people on here who returned to up north like Barb said those months were quite cold and miserable and rainy though.
Now were in June and oh boy its real cold, and rained just about every day.
Rodney.
Much like stepping off the plane into a walk-in fridge then?

It is a long time since I've spent a winter in England (though one summer wasn't too warm), so I will have to re-educate myself into knowing what to wear.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
OK Rodney you want to be over here for 3 months? I'll wave to you over the pond! I'll enjoy the rain and you can come over here and enjoy the warm weather, agreed? (there is a major problem though)

To be serious, if that is possible for me, I think I will end up doing that and that is moving over to Hereford and then if I miss the states I will fly back for a month or for how ever long it would take to get it out of my system and then back to Hereford.

Is it possible that we all want to move somewhere for a fresh start?

I look at my overhead/bills and think I would not have these if I was in the UK but we all know I would just replace them with some UK style bills.

I remember being in Southend, Essex in 1962 and walking out on the beach with a friends dog and thinking this is the place but I knew I needed to get back stateside to get a higher education (oh, and a wife) which I did. My point is I loved it there. Nothing like it here. I do like being able to buy things here in the US though.

US=things-flexibility-wonderful people. UK= scenery-wonderful people

Cheers
Just wondering what kind of things we are talking about here??
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Homes, cars, food, clothes if you have money
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Petrol at £.59 per liter and coming down in price fast.

or $3.63 a gallon in our area.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
I hope you don't think this is a stupid question, but what average temperatures can i expect in January. Moving back after spending 23 years in florida.
Hi Angie,

Here is a climate map of the UK. You can click on the month of January and click on temperature and see where your destination falls in the range:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ukmapavge.html
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Much like stepping off the plane into a walk-in fridge then?

It is a long time since I've spent a winter in England (though one summer wasn't too warm), so I will have to re-educate myself into knowing what to wear.
I went back one December for Christmas. I thought the climate is quite similar to the West Coast of Canada, right? Wrong! It was so damp that I had flashbacks to my teens when I would be standing at a bus stop almost in tears because the cold goes right through to your bones.

I'm not too worried about climate though. I like to experience all four seasons and I expect winter to be cold. Must have that woodstove though.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I went back one December for Christmas. I thought the climate is quite similar to the West Coast of Canada, right? Wrong! It was so damp that I had flashbacks to my teens when I would be standing at a bus stop almost in tears because the cold goes right through to your bones.

I'm not too worried about climate though. I like to experience all four seasons and I expect winter to be cold. Must have that woodstove though.
Before I came to Australia, I well remember a Canadian living in England saying that he felt colder than he did in Canada. He claimed it was a damper cold which exacerbated the chill factor.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui

Hi bandrui, Hell a couple of days ago here in Pompey we had all 4 seasons in one day it was great? I will take this sometimes warm & sunny and sometimes cold and rainy any day over the 112 degrees of heat in the cruel desert of Las Vegas where I used to live, and no rain for months on end ---- well hell it just aint natural, not if your a human, snakes seem to like it though
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Before I came to Australia, I well remember a Canadian living in England saying that he felt colder than he did in Canada. He claimed it was a damper cold which exacerbated the chill factor.
Maybe it's related to what you're used to, but I moved from damp chilly Hull to Toronto and I thought I would die the first winter. It is WAY colder in Toronto than it ever is in the UK.

There are actually days in Toronto where you can't be outside for more than a couple of minutes without getting frostbite. And you haven't lived until you've felt all your nose hairs freeze up!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Maybe it's related to what you're used to, but I moved from damp chilly Hull to Toronto and I thought I would die the first winter. It is WAY colder in Toronto than it ever is in the UK.

There are actually days in Toronto where you can't be outside for more than a couple of minutes without getting frostbite. And you haven't lived until you've felt all your nose hairs freeze up!
I agree with you Sally - it is way colder here than the UK. Bitter cold - I actually think the dry air in winter makes me feel colder - and yes, I've often felt my nose hairs freeze up - when I've walked outside first thing in the morning to pick up my morning paper!!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:39 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I agree with you Sally - it is way colder here than the UK. Bitter cold - I actually think the dry air in winter makes me feel colder - and yes, I've often felt my nose hairs freeze up - when I've walked outside first thing in the morning to pick up my morning paper!!
I remember this one time when my car had broken down and I had to take the bus to work. The walk to my office from the bus stop was 3 minutes max. Of course my car had to break down on one of those days where they were warning people not to be outside for more than a few minutes. I thought my short walk would be fine, but I couldn't make it the whole way. Even through all my layers, my fingers, toes and cheeks were hurting so bad from the cold. I remember falling into an office building halfway there and apologizing to the receptionist. I just couldn't make it the whole 3 minutes!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

If there was a poll I would be on the colder in the UK side I think. That damp cold down to the bones.
Can I vote on both side?
I'm thinking Alaska and upstate New York both darned cold.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I remember this one time when my car had broken down and I had to take the bus to work. The walk to my office from the bus stop was 3 minutes max. Of course my car had to break down on one of those days where they were warning people not to be outside for more than a few minutes. I thought my short walk would be fine, but I couldn't make it the whole way. Even through all my layers, my fingers, toes and cheeks were hurting so bad from the cold. I remember falling into an office building halfway there and apologizing to the receptionist. I just couldn't make it the whole 3 minutes!
Brrrrr!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi bandrui, Hell a couple of days ago here in Pompey we had all 4 seasons in one day it was great? I will take this sometimes warm & sunny and sometimes cold and rainy any day over the 112 degrees of heat in the cruel desert of Las Vegas where I used to live, and no rain for months on end ---- well hell it just aint natural, not if your a human, snakes seem to like it though
Yes, me too. Most people don't realise how dry our summers are here. The grass dries up, the plants are parched and you have to water the garden every 2-3 days. I have a large garden an it takes about 1 1/2 hours. I have come to realise how blessed spring and summer showers are and why the British have such wonderful gardens. Nothing compares to an English Spring.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Yes, definitely colder on the East Coast than the UK but West Coast has a much milder climate. Even when I lived in Alberta and experienced those -40 temps, it didn't feel as bad as the damp cold of the UK.

Where was your Canadian friend from Aries? Sounds like West Coast like me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.