Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Angelina Jolie - Actress - Born: 1975 USA - Boyfriend - Children: 6

Annual: USD 30.000.000,00
Monthly: USD 2.500.000,00
Weekly: USD 600.000,00
Daily: USD 120.000,00
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Whats going on in Vancouver, BC

Sears and Chapters stores were also looted, their glass fronts smashed. For many, the ugly chaos made the Cup loss an afterthought.

"What I've seen is a complete disgrace," said Beth Hope, 28, who is originally from England but has lived in Vancouver for two years. "I'm a Canucks fan, but my jersey's in my bag. I'm ashamed to be a fan right now."
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Whats going on in Vancouver, BC

Sears and Chapters stores were also looted, their glass fronts smashed. For many, the ugly chaos made the Cup loss an afterthought.

"What I've seen is a complete disgrace," said Beth Hope, 28, who is originally from England but has lived in Vancouver for two years. "I'm a Canucks fan, but my jersey's in my bag. I'm ashamed to be a fan right now."
This was indeed a disgrace. These were not hockey fans but black-clad bandanered troublemakers who pre-meditated the damage they would cause. Hockey fans here are also outraged and have put a sign on the boarded up windows apologising to the city for this disgrace and noting the abhorrence of fans. People are flocking to sign this board in support of this message.

This has all brought disgrace to a great city with great people and we are all ashamed to have had such a thing happen in our area. Be assured that this is not indicative of the people of Vancouver.

These people are already being identified by TV news footage, and camera shots. Vancouver hockey fans have started a blog where they are posting their cell phone videos to identify the guilty parties. I am sure that many of these people were from out of town and they will soon find themselves facing justice.

A dark day for Vancouver indeed.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is interesting that on the shoots that I see everyone is holding cameras up high like they are saluting. It will interesting how the courts will handle the guilty parties.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney its time for you to come and visit 'cause it up to 100 degree in Las Vegas and you can sweat, sweat, sweat and feel exhausted all day.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
His income comes from his estates. You can quibble about whether he should have them, but it's not coming out of taxation. As with most businesses, a lot of it goes on wages.
I'm a bit late catching up with this chat on Charlie, but it isn't his estate; the Duchy of Cornwall is crown property. It is given to the heir to the throne, as their income.

When/if he becomes King, then the Duchy of Cornwall estate will be taken from him, along with the title Duke of Cornwall, and given to his eldest son, William. When William becomes King, the Duchy of Cornwall will be taken from him and given to his son. If there is no son, then the Duchy estate and all the money from it, returns to the crown until the next male heir to the throne (at the moment, as there is talk about making the eldest child the heir to the throne).
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I'm a bit late catching up with this chat on Charlie, but it isn't his estate; the Duchy of Cornwall is crown property. It is given to the heir to the throne, as their income.

When/if he becomes King, then the Duchy of Cornwall estate will be taken from him, along with the title Duke of Cornwall, and given to his eldest son, William. When William becomes King, the Duchy of Cornwall will be taken from him and given to his son. If there is no son, then the Duchy estate and all the money from it, returns to the crown until the next male heir to the throne (at the moment, as there is talk about making the eldest child the heir to the throne).
That is very interesting. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Fresh and Easy are owned by Tesco in the US, they are everywhere. Also all the concessions in national parks (Yellowstone, Yosimite, etc) in the US are owned by a UK company. Burger King is owned by a European Country now too, I cant remember which, so alot of the things we think of as US corporations are actually not anymore.
I was wondering if you found any British products in Fresh and Easy in Las Vegas?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
That is very interesting. Thanks for setting the record straight.
You're welcome

I know there were a few problems when the Queen mum died as in her will, she stipulated items she wanted passed to relatives, but many of these items weren't hers to give!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rodney its time for you to come and visit 'cause it up to 100 degree in Las Vegas and you can sweat, sweat, sweat and feel exhausted all day.
Yes cheers I was thinking of jumping on a plane soon, I soooo miss those 112 in the shade temps month after month for about half the year, and I loved having to always have to wear a wide rimed hat so my head wouldn't boil, and I loved spending all that money on air conditioning ---- NOT!!!!!

Today in Lovely old England its quite cold and windy out there, it rained a little today, yesterday was mostly all rain and black skies, so June so far has been like winter, April and May most days were like spring ----- lots of sun and nice warm temps,
Here it can be winter in the morning cold and windy and raining, and can turn to spring in the afternoon lovely blue skies and warm, and in the evening like Summer, the sky would be so clear and beautiful with stars so bright as far as the eye can see Hmmmmm
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes cheers I was thinking of jumping on a plane soon, I soooo miss those 112 in the shade temps month after month for about half the year, and I loved having to always have to wear a wide rimed hat so my head wouldn't boil, and I loved spending all that money on air conditioning ---- NOT!!!!!

Today in Lovely old England its quite cold and windy out there, it rained a little today, yesterday was mostly all rain and black skies, so June so far has been like winter, April and May most days were like spring ----- lots of sun and nice warm temps,
Here it can be winter in the morning cold and windy and raining, and can turn to spring in the afternoon lovely blue skies and warm, and in the evening like Summer, the sky would be so clear and beautiful with stars so bright as far as the eye can see Hmmmmm

OK pure it on!
Ya but you don't have a Target.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

I hope you don't think this is a stupid question, but what average temperatures can i expect in January. Moving back after spending 23 years in florida.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
I hope you don't think this is a stupid question, but what average temperatures can i expect in January. Moving back after spending 23 years in florida.
HELLO Angie and welcome to our little thread, how long have ya been lurking on here for ---- time to come in and have a nice cup of tea and chocolate digestive biscuit with us and a nice chat,
OK lets talk turkey ----- I arrived on December 1st and gatwick was closed due to the worst snow storm in 100 years so plane was diverted to Heathrow, back home with my Mum stranded and not being able to leave the house for 6 days cause the snow was so deep up to way past your belly button
Then the sun came out and it took a day but it melted away all the snow, it got warmer but still cold, January & February was cold & windy at times, rain from time to time, around 1 to 5 degrees centigrade most days, March was cold and windy ----but then came the shocker April and may came along and most days the temps were around 75 and very sunny, but thats where I am down South in Portsmouth, people on here who returned to up north like Barb said those months were quite cold and miserable and rainy though.
Now were in June and oh boy its real cold, and rained just about every day.
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 18th 2011 at 4:42 pm. Reason: were nice warm months with VERY little rain
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney.
OK Rodney you want to be over here for 3 months? I'll wave to you over the pond! I'll enjoy the rain and you can come over here and enjoy the warm weather, agreed? (there is a major problem though)

To be serious, if that is possible for me, I think I will end up doing that and that is moving over to Hereford and then if I miss the states I will fly back for a month or for how ever long it would take to get it out of my system and then back to Hereford.

Is it possible that we all want to move somewhere for a fresh start?

I look at my overhead/bills and think I would not have these if I was in the UK but we all know I would just replace them with some UK style bills.

I remember being in Southend, Essex in 1962 and walking out on the beach with a friends dog and thinking this is the place but I knew I needed to get back stateside to get a higher education (oh, and a wife) which I did. My point is I loved it there. Nothing like it here. I do like being able to buy things here in the US though.

US=things-flexibility-wonderful people. UK= scenery-wonderful people

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

HELLO Angie and welcome to our little thread, how long have ya been lurking on here for ---- time to come in and have a nice cup of tea and chocolate digestive biscuit with us and a nice chat,
OK lets talk turkey ----- I arrived on December 1st and gatwick was closed due to the worst snow storm in 100 years so plane was diverted to Heathrow, back home with my Mum stranded and not being able to leave the house for 6 days cause the snow was so deep up to way past your belly button
Then the sun came out and it took a day but it melted away all the snow, it got warmer but still cold, January & February was cold & windy at times, rain from time to time, around 1 to 5 degrees centigrade most days, March was cold and windy ----but then came the shocker April and may came along and most days the temps were around 75 and very sunny, but thats where I am down South in Portsmouth, people on here who returned to up north like Barb said those months were quite cold and miserable and rainy though.
Rodney.
I was in the UK in April and the weather was beautiful. It sounds like in December it is going to be awful, best to just get it out of the way, and then look forward to spring. I have been around for a couple of months, everyone as been very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.