Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

New photos taken today - it is the first day of the 10 day Frome Festival -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7627155647874/
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Thank you for finding that for me. The US numbers are what I entered to just to get an idea.
I'm listening to a radio station in the Liverpool area called Smooth Radio. They have an American singer Neil Diamond as a guest and they are playing his music. How weird. Me in the US listening to a Brit station that is playing American music and they are interviewing an American artist. I love the music of this station. Now Bee will make it more weird and say she is listening to the same station.

Back to the budget. I don't understand why gas is so expensive there since I think they get the gas from the North Sea. My last gas bill was £10.72 ($17.06) for the month.
Water is another one, £30? UK is where they make water You can even go outside and steal the stuff there. This month my bill is £32.72 or $52.02
and remember I live in the desert so water is like gold. I am running the sprinkler system for the lawn and plants so its high now. Landline phone is high in the UK, £30 vs £15.09 here in Utah. Electricity is low in the UK. I'm not complaining, just saying. Jackie are you listening?

Maybe I should be posting in the Moving to the US forum?

I still like the idea of moving there.
Nice I wish my gas bill was so cheap, we do the year round pay the same plan thing, and mine is $70 a month for 11 months (they calculate the new payment in the 12 month)
Water we are paying at least $50 a month and have no grass, we only have some trees on drippers, and water saving showers, loos and taps.
Phone I have no idea about it's a bundle with DSL internet and set number of US minutes per month.

Utah is cheaper than here.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:04 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

North Sea gas is pretty well done, and the UK has to import most of it now. Same for oil. That resource was squandered to bring in foreign money to keep up a comfortable lifestyle and get politicians re-elelected.

As for water, processing and purifying costs a lot, which is why everyone with a house should have water butts and use rain water for their garden.

We have one on our new house and it's amazing how quickly it fills with a good rain, and then lasts. We're putting in two more now we've had the gutters fixed.

I suspect the water in your part of the US is heavily subsidized, Cheers, because without subsidies, no one would live there. The American aversion to social welfare doesn't apply to things like water for desert-dwellers, or for farmers growing water-hungry crops in arid areas!

Bev
Old Jul 10th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
North Sea gas is pretty well done, and the UK has to import most of it now. Same for oil. That resource was squandered to bring in foreign money to keep up a comfortable lifestyle and get politicians re-elelected.

As for water, processing and purifying costs a lot, which is why everyone with a house should have water butts and use rain water for their garden.

We have one on our new house and it's amazing how quickly it fills with a good rain, and then lasts. We're putting in two more now we've had the gutters fixed.

I suspect the water in your part of the US is heavily subsidized, Cheers, because without subsidies, no one would live there. The American aversion to social welfare doesn't apply to things like water for desert-dwellers, or for farmers growing water-hungry crops in arid areas!

Bev
I noticed that they had those 'water butts' in Hawaii and I don't think I would want to use them for drinking water.

You mention the American aversion to social welfare. I think that goes back to the days of mass immigration and the swim or sink mentality. We both might be surprised as to how much social welfare exists here. Example, you are sick and have no money you go to any hospital and they can't refuse to treat you. You can also get free food I think by using a card that replaced food stamps. Just swipe and eat.
Last thing it is very expensive to work here and the last immigrant arriving will work for less money than you do and that is what has made America what it is today. (you can fill in what you think America is today) We probably have more millionaires than Russia and China if that is a measure of success?
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that they had those 'water butts' in Hawaii and I don't think I would want to use them for drinking water.

You mention the American aversion to social welfare. I think that goes back to the days of mass immigration and the swim or sink mentality. We both might be surprised as to how much social welfare exists here. Example, you are sick and have no money you go to any hospital and they can't refuse to treat you. You can also get free food I think by using a card that replaced food stamps. Just swipe and eat.
Last thing it is very expensive to work here and the last immigrant arriving will work for less money than you do and that is what has made America what it is today. (you can fill in what you think America is today) We probably have more millionaires than Russia and China if that is a measure of success?

I think you are way more American than you are British, Cheers............ nothing wrong with that, just sayin'....................
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think you are way more American than you are British, Cheers............ nothing wrong with that, just sayin'....................
Maybe I'm a man without a country
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm a man without a country
Shall I take out my violin?
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Shall I take out my violin?
Get back to your garden!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Get back to your garden!
That's where I'm heading today, don't worry.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

That's where I'm heading today, don't worry.
Hello Jackie, My Wife is out there every morning, from very early, till late at night. She cannot get over the long hours of daylight here. In Thailand, it is dark by 6.30pm every day - summer or winter. Take care - Love Don
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Jackie, My Wife is out there every morning, from very early, till late at night. She cannot get over the long hours of daylight here. In Thailand, it is dark by 6.30pm every day - summer or winter. Take care - Love Don
Hi Don: this is Rosie, Jackie is on her way back to the land of the eagle, and Target stores.

I love the garden, and am relearning a lot of the names of plants and their habits as most of my US time was spent in the great Northwoods of Minnesota and Wisconsin - lots of trees, fewer flowers, and a very short growing season. I was accustomed to long summer evenings, and still use them to my advantage here in the UK. I am glad that you are both settling into UK life, and wish you both the very best.

Rosie
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:38 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

New photos taken today - it is the first day of the 10 day Frome Festival -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7627155647874/
The pictures of the gardens are beautiful Rosie, great job. Just think how far you have come from when you first landed in the UK, and didn't know where to go, or what to do!

Did the plants over there suffer much damage from the very cold winter?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:48 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

?
Definitely not drinking water, no! Though I suppose it might be worth having some water purification tablets that campers carry just in case some major problem shuts down the water supply. I think a certain amout of bleach works as well (not easily portable for campers.) Tastes vile, but without water we die pretty quickly.

Got into the habit of thinking about these things living in Victoria BC, a place that's going to have a major earthquake one day.

Bev
Old Jul 11th 2011, 1:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I love the garden, and am relearning a lot of the names of plants and their habits as most of my US time was spent in the great Northwoods of Minnesota and Wisconsin - lots of trees, fewer flowers, and a very short growing season.
Have people come and visited your garden yet as part of the festival? I hope you're getting lots of praise because it's lovely.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
Definitely not drinking water, no! Though I suppose it might be worth having some water purification tablets that campers carry just in case some major problem shuts down the water supply. I think a certain amout of bleach works as well (not easily portable for campers.) Tastes vile, but without water we die pretty quickly.

Got into the habit of thinking about these things living in Victoria BC, a place that's going to have a major earthquake one day.

Bev
So you are from Victoria? I will be there the day after tomorrow.
I was on another forum a few years ago and there was a English lady on it who lived in Victoria and she died before she could get back to Blighty. She had a rough life and a touch of nobility in her blood so I was so sad she didn't make it back to her homeland.
Bee was on the same forum so I wonder if she remembers the lady?
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.