Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Sorry Rosie! - Lapse in the old grey matter. Do forgive me, getting your name wrong. When you feel like travelling a bit North - You will be most welcome.- Holidayed in Frome many times - and always stayed at a B & B in Chapmanslade.....
Yesterday, after Tim had met another Thai Lady, and we visited them, we came home and with a little guidance, Tim applied on line, for a job at the local Hospital. She is a (retired) Hospital Administrator - so might stand a good chance. - Lets hope so. Love Don
OH yes Don, tell Tim good luck from me, I hope she gets that Job, that will make her very happy
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of eating maple syrup with eggs has put me right off my lunch
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hey Barb, you go into any restaurant in Vegas ---- or as far as I know everywhere in USA and order a stack (3) pancakes its always served with butter and syrup, a lot of people have a side of bacon with them, but a couple of nice runny eggs on the side really compleat this super high colostral and fattening breakfast Hmmmm Lovely Jubbly, you just plonk the eggs on the pancakes,
the pancake mix were talking about is by aunt jerimiha http://www.auntjemima.com/

or theres many other brands, its buttermilk pancake mix, it comes in a box or packet and you just follow directions and put the required amount of mix in a bowl and add the water and mix it up, thats the instant type --- or you can buy the old fashioned mix where you add an egg plus a little milk I think,
You heat a skillet drop a very small drop of veg oil in then put in a couple or 3 desert spoons for each pancake of the prepared mix, cook a few minutes each side --- turning only once when they start to bubble ---- and when there golden brown you serve,
I have forgotten but was this on the citizenship test?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 23rd 2011 at 1:32 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes so properly attributed
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

The pancakes are nothing like the European or British pancakes that are thin, the ones we cook on pancake day in U.K. and roll up and serve with lemon & a little sugar, there nice too, ---
I think we call them 'crepes' in the US (think 'House of Pancakes')
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I passed the information along and the Americans replied and said the American food at Lidl's is as American as sauerkraut. There's gratitude for you.
They thanked you for thinking of them but said they tried quit a bit of it for the heck of it and its all pretty bad.
You mean Sauerkraut is not AMERICAN?
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:54 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Oh shame, British cook....
YES!!! Syrup and eggs are a no no!!

Though Tate & Lyle golden syrup on toast or crumpets is just divine!!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Barb, you go into any restaurant in Vegas ---- or as far as I know everywhere in USA and order a stack (3) pancakes its always served with butter and syrup, a lot of people have a side of bacon with them, but a couple of nice runny eggs on the side really compleat this super high colostral and fattening breakfast Hmmmm Lovely Jubbly, you just plonk the eggs on the pancakes,
the pancake mix were talking about is by aunt jerimiha or theres many other brands, its buttermilk pancake mix, it comes in a box or packet and you just follow directions and put the required amount of mix in a bowl and add the water and mix it up, thats the instant type --- or you can buy the old fashioned mix where you add an egg plus a little milk I think,
You heat a skillet drop a very small drop of veg oil in then put in a couple or 3 desert spoons for each pancake of the prepared mix, cook a few minutes each side --- turning only once when they start to bubble ---- and when there golden brown you serve,
The pancakes are nothing like the European or British pancakes that are thin, the ones we cook on pancake day in U.K. and roll up and serve with lemon & a little sugar, there nice too, --- no these are a nice thickness but not too thick ---- its certainly a work of art you know the texture of the mix must be just right, not enough water there too thick --- too much and there too thin, Hmmmm Lovely, now Ive just got to get some pancakes and eggs down me ---- I hope LIDL'S have them. but then if you can get the mix and not the syrup then everything is lost,
I also like to make Blueberry pancakes, or Banana pancakes both with the ingredients cooked inside the pancake, but the blueberries are also very nice on top the pancakes with real whipped cream on top too Hmmmm lovely ---- but with those two you dont put eggs on top --- well at least I dont, to me they dont go well with eggs,
Rodney.
PS for the people who dont live in U.S. were not talking about Golden Syrup which you see on a tin of treacle, --- NO not treacle Ugh no American style syrup is a completely different animal. -- but the best and what I prefer is the real good syrup of which the name completely escapes me, its very expensive like $6 to $8 per bottle but soooo worth it, no preservatives, Oh yes its just come to me --- Maple syrup ---- oh thats the real McCoy Hmmmm

Rodney of course I am joking with you, I have been to the USA a few times and to Hawaii 5 times!!! I saw the breakfasts they had at Denny's but ya know I just can't seem to put any kind of syrup on the same plate as eggs that is just SO WRONG!!, but eaten on a separate plate no problem!!

Now at Lidl's I did see the shake it up with water pancake mix but I think it is their own make or some such make called McCoys as was all the "American" foodstuffs?? And maple syrup too which I always connect with Canada but do know it also comes from the Eastern States of the US, see how smart I am.

And I really did see Aunt Jemima's pancake mix and Snuckers (???) peanut butter at TK Maxx just the other night and LOADS of other goodies though you will surely pay for it!!!..........mmmm maybe you need to get yourself off there for a Yankee fix??

For myself I am on a bit of a Union Jack fix. The decor in this kitchen is white cupboards and black benchtops, a wee bit boring, so I have livened it up just tonight with some Union Jack canisters, chopping board, cake tins and other stuff from Tesco Direct, now I am on a roll and moving into the teeny tiny living room and bidding on stuff on eBay as we speak..............

Rule Cool Britannia.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jul 12th 2011 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney of course I am joking with you, I have been to the USA a few times and to Hawaii 5 times!!! I saw the breakfasts they had at Denny's but ya know I just can't seem to put any kind of syrup on the same plate as eggs that is just SO WRONG!!, but eaten on a separate plate no problem!!

Now at Lidl's I did see the shake it up with water pancake mix but I think it is their own make or some such make called McCoys as was all the "American" foodstuffs?? And maple syrup too which I always connect with Canada but do know it also comes from the Eastern States of the US, see how smart I am.

And I really did see Aunt Jemima's pancake mix and Snuckers (???) peanut butter at TK Maxx just the other night and LOADS of other goodies though you will surely pay for it!!!..........mmmm maybe you need to get yourself off there for a Yankee fix??

For myself I am on a bit of a Union Jack fix. The decor in this kitchen is white cupboards and black benchtops, a wee bit boring, so I have livened it up just tonight with some Union Jack canisters, chopping board, cake tins and other stuff from Tesco Direct, now I am on a roll and moving into the teeny tiny living room and bidding on stuff on eBay as we speak..............

Rule Cool Britannia.
Well Barb I always knew you were a smart lady anyway thursday is me & mum's day to go shopping at LIDL'S and morrisons, now your absolutely right I do have to go and get my American fix at lidl's ---- now that pancake mix shake up in a bottle thingie dont sound good to me , never heard of that, I think there McCOYS brand is there own brand, those hawaiian pizzas I told you about are McCoys, so what there made in Germany --- there still better then any pizza I have tasted in the States,
I will let you know Barb how my little American shopping trip goes,
Good luck on your Union Jack fix
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Jackie and Rodney,

I'm going to the Claim Jumper in Summerlin tomorrow night so you can eat your heart out (American talk). Jackie I will have a seat reserved for you if you can make it.

Cheers

Warm English Toffee Cake A rich brown sugar
and date cake nestled in warm toffee sauce with
homemade whipped cream and vanilla ice cream 4.29
Cheers --- never heard of that place claim jumper --- but then I never got out much
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Well Barb I always knew you were a smart lady anyway thursday is me & mum's day to go shopping at LIDL'S and morrisons, now your absolutely right I do have to go and get my American fix at lidl's ---- now that pancake mix shake up in a bottle thingie dont sound good to me , never heard of that, I think there McCOYS brand is there own brand, those hawaiian pizzas I told you about are McCoys, so what there made in Germany --- there still better then any pizza I have tasted in the States,
I will let you know Barb how my little American shopping trip goes,
Good luck on your Union Jack fix
Hi Rodney, pancakes (hotcakes) are so easy to make even if you dont have the box, the ingredients you need are:

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

just sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter then quickly mix, aim for smooth.
Heat a greased frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook on both sides and serve hot. Cover cooked ones with a clean t-towel.

I bet your mum knows how to make drop scones or griddle scones, or even what we in australia call pikelets that we eat with jam(jelly) and cream.

You will be surprised at how quick and easy these are to make without the box mix, hope it helps
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Hi Rodney, pancakes (hotcakes) are so easy to make even if you dont have the box, the ingredients you need are:

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

just sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter then quickly mix, aim for smooth.
Heat a greased frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook on both sides and serve hot. Cover cooked ones with a clean t-towel.

I bet your mum knows how to make drop scones or griddle scones, or even what we in australia call pikelets that we eat with jam(jelly) and cream.

You will be surprised at how quick and easy these are to make without the box mix, hope it helps
Hello goldcoastmag,
You say hope it helps ------ are you kidding I am absolutely over the moon that you actually took the time to type this recipe to me --- thank you soooo much, all my 36 years in U.S. all I ever did is buy the box, never knew how to make the mix from scratch, wow you make it look so very easy, and thanks for telling in detail how to add the ingredients, lovely I will let you know how they turn out when I get around to making them soon, now all I need is to hope that Lidl's has that maple syrup Hmmmmm Im going shopping there tomorrow and I will find out.
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:53 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure maple flavouring is available in the UK, but one can make mock maple syrup with it. I used to do it for my kids because they didn't like real maple syrup when young.

IIRC it's 2 cups of sugar to one of water -- though it might be the other way around! Cook on a low heat until the sugar is dissolved, and give it long enough or it'll crystaliize when it cools. Then add the flavouring.

Re eggs and syrup, I remember when we first moved to Canada ordering French toast, pretty excited because I liked it but I'd never seen it on an English menu, then getting it with a little jug of syrup. Very odd, though I did catch on to that one fast!

I love waffles, and used to have a waffle iron that got used at least once a week. I prefer them Belgian style with fruit.

Bev
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The thought of eating maple syrup with eggs has put me right off my lunch
Hey Sally I went shopping at morrisons today and I asked if they sold maple syrup and they did, the young man took me right to it, kind of expensive though ---- but certainly worth it, its imported from Canada, its PURE maple syrup !!!!! cost was £3.25 for a 250g glass bottle, --- I bought two of them,
actually thinking about it its around about what I used to pay for it in America and goldcoastmag was nice enough to send me the recipe to make my own pancake mix from scratch so --- Im all set now cant wait to cook my pancakes and spread butter over and pour some maple syrup over them and plonk a couple of semi runny eggs on top Hmmmmm Oh pure heaven
Barb I went into Lidl's first to check out there so called american food sale --- oh what a joke that was, but I did see that pancake mix in a bottle, read the directions and you have to pour milk in up to the line --- shake it up and ------ so that was really silly so I put that down sharp
but I did buy another jar of smooth peanut butter, there own Mckennedy brand, its real good they also have the chunky, --- like the american old fashioned kind --- only better and you dont have to stir it up ---- and no preservitives whatsoever

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 14th 2011 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Sally I went shopping at morrisons today and I asked if they sold maple syrup and they did, the young man took me right to it, kind of expensive though ---- but certainly worth it, its imported from Canada, its PURE maple syrup !!!!! cost was £3.25 for a 250g glass bottle, --- I bought two of them,
actually thinking about it its around about what I used to pay for it in America and goldcoastmag was nice enough to send me the recipe to make my own pancake mix from scratch so --- Im all set now cant wait to cook my pancakes and spread butter over and pour some maple syrup over them and plonk a couple of semi runny eggs on top Hmmmmm Oh pure heaven
Now you are trying to put me off my dinner tonight
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

folks my brother is 48 on August 3rd. We can't do much as I work and it's his day off. I am thinking of surprising him by cooking him a British meal. I'm not best cook so any ideas? like recipe for trifle. We can get some British products in Arizona but not a lot.. Just a random thought..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.