Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui
I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!
That's what I have been doing for the last few weeks, too - the lottery

All I want is a nice little house in the UK and to be at peace
Old Mar 1st 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong
All I want is a nice little house in the UK and to be at peace
That's it exactly!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!
If you look at the very old posts you will see that I too lived in Frome it seems to be the hip hop happening place for us lot LOL!!

Very, very safe little market town, nothing special like Bath but it's an OK place to live.

I so wanted to be there in summer when the Glastonbury Festival was on nearby as I heard you got all kinds of "interesting" people in town.

I am using my sister's laptop and I never realised until now that the British keyboard is different to the Aussie/US one.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
Definitely. Those very rural and remote places are still much as they were 50 years ago in terms of culture. I don't know the south but there are some very remote and rural areas in the north of Cumbria and all the way across to the East Coast up there. Also parts of Wales - and definitely the north of Scotland. My SIL lives on the Isle of Lewis which is off the north west of Scotland, and that's about as rural and safe as you can get.

The only caution is that these remote areas really are remote - when something goes wrong, it can be very hard to get help. The NHS has had to fly my SIL to the mainland for treatment because she has become ill with a very rare disease and needs regular stays in hospital. Because the hospital is so far from their home, I thought they might rethink where they live but she says no. She adores it out there. She loves the sense of space, the community, the sometimes harsh conditions, and the fact that they can afford a big house with no neighbors.

And of course, the NHS does pay for her travel, so while it's inconvenient, she doesn't have to suffer without help. Still, I definitely couldn't live like that. Horses for courses!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Definitely. Those very rural and remote places are still much as they were 50 years ago in terms of culture. I don't know the south but there are some very remote and rural areas in the north of Cumbria and all the way across to the East Coast up there. Also parts of Wales - and definitely the north of Scotland. My SIL lives on the Isle of Lewis which is off the north west of Scotland, and that's about as rural and safe as you can get.

The only caution is that these remote areas really are remote - when something goes wrong, it can be very hard to get help. The NHS has had to fly my SIL to the mainland for treatment because she has become ill with a very rare disease and needs regular stays in hospital. Because the hospital is so far from their home, I thought they might rethink where they live but she says no. She adores it out there. She loves the sense of space, the community, the sometimes harsh conditions, and the fact that they can afford a big house with no neighbors.

And of course, the NHS does pay for her travel, so while it's inconvenient, she doesn't have to suffer without help. Still, I definitely couldn't live like that. Horses for courses!
Just looked up the Isle of Lewis - very interesting. I would love to visit some day. Have you been there?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
If you look at the very old posts you will see that I too lived in Frome it seems to be the hip hop happening place for us lot LOL!!

Very, very safe little market town, nothing special like Bath but it's an OK place to live.

I so wanted to be there in summer when the Glastonbury Festival was on nearby as I heard you got all kinds of "interesting" people in town.

I am using my sister's laptop and I never realised until now that the British keyboard is different to the Aussie/US one.
I've heard Frome described as a few things in my time, but not "hip hop happening " before My mum will laugh at that one
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Isle of Lewis might be a wee bit remote for me but Callanish? Wow. Definitely hope to visit at some point.

Bee, was it your post about Glastonbury Festival? I would definitely like to attend that. I'm a bit of a music nut. Taped the Brit awards and have watched it about 4 times now. Cannot believe Adele. Love that song "Someone Like You". Gives me goosebumps. Tinie Tempah too. My son is also a huge fan of British music. I think I can get him "Right of Abode" in the UK though he was born here. As long as he doesn't live with me as he is at the moment. 30 years old and I can't get rid of him. My daughter lives in NC and is a tri-national British and American birth certificates and Canadian citizenship. They both are now encouraging me to go home to the UK which wasn't always the case... my son was resistant but now gives me the OK.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

I have been reading all the old posts. Read all the ones from part 1 and am on about page 50 something of part ll. It's really wonderful getting to know everybody through them (though a little difficult to remember everyone - present company excepted:).

I am starting to think that the best way to go about The Big Move is to either go over on a recce after the house sells and/or rent for a while and look around. Frome will definitely be on the list.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've heard Frome described as a few things in my time, but not "hip hop happening " before My mum will laugh at that one
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:18 am
Home Sweet Home

I have been reading all the old posts. Read all the ones from part 1 and am on about page 50 something of part ll. It's really wonderful getting to know everybody through them (though a little difficult to remember everyone - present company excepted:).

I am starting to think that the best way to go about The Big Move is to either go over on a recce after the house sells and/or rent for a while and look around. Frome will definitely be on the list.
Looks like Frome will be the best place for the reunion then!!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

bee--celebrate the homecoming!-- change the tagline under your posts where you say you're still in Syndey and hoping to head home soon!!

tina
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! that's better, Bee--no place like home, indeed.

So simple, so true.

Tina
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:39 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Although I live in Somerset (born & bred ... wandered off for a bit but HAD to come home ) I don't 'know' Frome so as a result of your discussions just 'googled' 'Frome somerset' lots of useful sites to aid research....might be worth a look if you haven't already done so
B
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:42 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Just looked up the Isle of Lewis - very interesting. I would love to visit some day. Have you been there?
Sadly no, although I'm sure we will if we move home. She moved there after we left England.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Looks like Frome will be the best place for the reunion then!!
It is weird how many of us will be in Frome or close by (in my case )

I am so glad you are home Bee ,well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.