British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

trottytrue May 25th 2011 6:56 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Beeubya....The Queen is not a muslim they are the only ones that President Obama bows to.:) I find it very rude. When you know the protacol of another country its only polite to do what is correct. I found all that security he brought with him very embarrasing and over the top. His own surgeon and the rest of his junk even blood. He could have spent more wisely. I dont remember any other President doing that. It looked so silly. I shall have to find the list and post who and what he brought with him.

To answer your question about Charlygirl and myself. Charlygirl leaves in a few weeks for good back to the UK. I am still waiting for the house to sell.:frown:

cheers May 25th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9387816)
Beeubya....The Queen is not a muslim they are the only ones that President Obama bows to.:) I find it very rude. When you know the protacol of another country its only polite to do what is correct. I found all that security he brought with him very embarrasing and over the top. His own surgeon and the rest of his junk even blood. He could have spent more wisely. I dont remember any other President doing that. It looked so silly. I shall have to find the list and post who and what he brought with him.

Did you read my post #2088?

Fish n Chips 56 May 25th 2011 8:49 pm

Huhhhh America is always so over the top with the Presidents security but its been that way for years, Obama didn't start this...

bandrui May 25th 2011 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9388034)
Huhhhh America is always so over the top with the Presidents security but its been that way for years, Obama didn't start this...

I think you mean 2055. Yes. Great post Cheers. Right on the money.

Derrygal May 25th 2011 9:08 pm

To answer your question about Charlygirl and myself. Charlygirl leaves in a few weeks for good back to the UK. I am still waiting for the house to sell.:frown:

I'm sure President Obama isn't the only US President who didn't bow to the Queen (don't think Bush did, but can't remember). Sounds like you don't like President Obama much????? Sounds like you're a Republican...................

sallysimmons May 25th 2011 9:58 pm

Beeubya....The Queen is not a muslim they are the only ones that President Obama bows to.:)

Wow.

I found all that security he brought with him very embarrasing and over the top. His own surgeon and the rest of his junk even blood. He could have spent more wisely. I dont remember any other President doing that. It looked so silly.
You do know that every President travels with the exact same entourage, right? A surgeon is always with the President of the United States on his travels, no matter who he is. And President Obama has the exact same amount of security as President Bush. They just didn't tell you about it on Fox News until it was President Obama. :)

I have been made so proud watching the reaction to the President and First Lady over the last few days. 25,000 people in Dublin cheering and waving American flags, a wonderful trip to a small village there where people just loved them both, and then a standing ovation from parliament today. It makes me proud to be American and that's not a feeling I get every day.

btw - Andrew Marr did an interview with the President for British TV and it turns out that the Queen invited Michelle and the girls back on a private visit last year. I guess she liked them.

islandwoman120 May 25th 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9388157)
Wow.

You do know that every President travels with the exact same entourage, right? A surgeon is always with the President of the United States on his travels, no matter who he is. And President Obama has the exact same amount of security as President Bush. They just didn't tell you about it on Fox News until it was President Obama. :)

I have been made so proud watching the reaction to the President and First Lady over the last few days. 25,000 people in Dublin cheering and waving American flags, a wonderful trip to a small village there where people just loved them both, and then a standing ovation from parliament today. It makes me proud to be American and that's not a feeling I get every day.

btw - Andrew Marr did an interview with the President for British TV and it turns out that the Queen invited Michelle and the girls back on a private visit last year. I guess she liked them.

I listened to almost all of the speech today, and I too was proud to be an American. I am very fond of Obama, and it made me feel as though I was back in the USA amongst the friends there. I don't understand all the anger - the fact that he does not bow to the Queen was dealt with before on this site - he is on a par with her as far as protocol goes, he is not subservient to her, America is not a British Colony. I did not know about the so called brash American entry to the UK, so I can't, and won't comment on that. The standing ovation he received in Parliament was incredible, truly incredible. Good thing this is the Chit Chat thread, because there seems to be a lot of irritation about this state visit. Rock on Obama! Yes we can!!

sallysimmons May 25th 2011 10:23 pm

I love this tweet from a Channel 4 anchor:

C4News poll 8 yrs ago found 22% of Brits had cobnfidence in George Bush: Today we find 72% have confidence Barak Obama: surprise, surprise!!

charleygirl May 25th 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9384672)
Oh that is soooo nice to hear that you 2 ladies will be meeting up. I think this may be a first???

I know Trottytrue and Denise meet for coffee's but they are still over there.....

I would love to meet up with one of our returnee's. :thumbsup:

barb, I will definitely meet you!! I will be back at the end of August, I have a lot to catch you up on. Life has been hectic though and I have hardly been on here.

cheers May 26th 2011 12:09 am

I'm an Obama fan.
Who was the last US president? I'm trying to forget.
I'm neither a demo or repub. There is no difference. IMO.

Strange that I had an idea that BE's who have returned would be over the moon with O being there and everything he did and said and I probably would be too if I was there. There is a place for you if you want to come back:D My beef was with the carnival atmosphere that goes with the trip.

O is surrounded by excited people who love the power they are given to protect the him.IMO. I have worked for the Secret Service so I know they have to do what they have to do but I don't like the power they have.

Derrygal May 26th 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9388297)
I'm an Obama fan.
Who was the last US president? I'm trying to forget.I'm neither a demo or repub. There is no difference. IMO.

Strange that I had an idea that BE's who have returned would be over the moon with O being there and everything he did and said and I probably would be too if I was there. There is a place for you if you want to come back:D My beef was with the carnival atmosphere that goes with the trip.

O is surrounded by excited people who love the power they are given to protect the him.IMO. I have worked for the Secret Service so I know they have to do what they have to do but I don't like the power they have.

Trust me - you're not the only one trying to forget that!!

Fish n Chips 56 May 26th 2011 12:49 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9388187)
I listened to almost all of the speech today, and I too was proud to be an American. I am very fond of Obama, and it made me feel as though I was back in the USA amongst the friends there. I don't understand all the anger - the fact that he does not bow to the Queen was dealt with before on this site - he is on a par with her as far as protocol goes, he is not subservient to her, America is not a British Colony. I did not know about the so called brash American entry to the UK, so I can't, and won't comment on that. The standing ovation he received in Parliament was incredible, truly incredible. Good thing this is the Chit Chat thread, because there seems to be a lot of irritation about this state visit. Rock on Obama! Yes we can!!

Well Said Rosie...

Fish n Chips 56 May 26th 2011 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9388337)
Trust me - you're not the only one trying to forget that!!

Arent we all, I knew we were in trouble the day he got elected, but living through those eight years was much worse then even I could imagine, and we are still suffering today, he put his country in the toilet for many years, Wars cost a lot, some of us pay with money while others pay with their lives.

trottytrue May 26th 2011 2:08 am

Sallysimmons...Not sure about the Wow...My point was and still is if President Obama can bow to a Suudi King and a Japanese Emperor he can also bow to a Queen protocol or not.

cheers May 26th 2011 2:23 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9388456)
Sallysimmons...Not sure about the Wow...My point was and still is if President Obama can bow to a Suudi King and a Japanese Emperor he can also bow to a Queen protocol or not.

He also bows like any other president to his bosses on Wall Street:D

Cheers