Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'?

View Poll Results: Biscuits and gravy - your vote
Eeeeew! How disgusting!
43.55%
Great stuff, gimme more!
41.94%
Never tried it, the look and smell put me off!
14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'?

Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:30 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'?

I know, I just dont like the idea of gravy over bread for breakfast, the only time I'll eat bread and gravy is after a Sunday dinner or lunch.

I like grits, with butter and sugar. And oatmeal, its good for you.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I know, I just dont like the idea of gravy over bread for breakfast, the only time I'll eat bread and gravy is after a Sunday dinner or lunch.

I'm not that big on any gravy - although I'll eat a bit on occasion.

Biscuits can be nice for breakfast - with butter and jam though.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:33 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Biscuits are not scary
But with the gravy involved, then they become..... ergch
:shudder:
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:34 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

ok, clear this up for me...

What is a biscuit, I get the impression that its an English muffin gone wrong.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:38 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

ra

Do we take that to mean the oatmeal is good for you, but without all the extra sugar and the fatty high cholesterol of the butter?
Or are you saying that the butter and sugar with a bit of oatmeal mixed in is healthy?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

ok, clear this up for me...

What is a biscuit, I get the impression that its an English muffin gone wrong.
No, nothing like and English muffin.

They remind me a little of a scone, but not sweet. They can be more flaky though.

http://www.real-restaurant-recipes.com/Biscuit.html
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:46 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Ewww grits. The only way I could actually make grits palatable, was to stir 3 or 4 tbs of strawberry jam into the bowl.
I originally thought "it must be a southern thing", but now I know plenty of people that grew up here in FL that can't stand the thought of them either.
FL isn't really Southern though. Geographically yes, but metaphorically no. But as my friend said: grits are a butter delivery mechanism.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:49 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

ra

Do we take that to mean the oatmeal is good for you, but without all the extra sugar and the fatty high cholesterol of the butter?
Or are you saying that the butter and sugar with a bit of oatmeal mixed in is healthy?
I have Oatmeal on its own, or with raisins.

I have grits with other stuff because it tastes like shit.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:50 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Tracy:

They look like scones as well.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
FL isn't really Southern though. Geographically yes, but metaphorically no. But as my friend said: grits are a butter delivery mechanism.
Over in the county my mother lives in in the Florida Panhandle, there are plenty of "old time" Floridians and believe me-southern would be the correct description-grits, catfish and banana pudding reign.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by zargof
FL isn't really Southern though.
?? Err... Try telling that to a true Floridian.
Ok, I'll rephrase it to make it more accurate to those that didn't want to understand what I was saying....
Originally I thought, it was a "southern" or Florida thing, because I hadn't been here for many weeks and I must have mistakenly thought in my ignorance that being here in Tampa, this part of peninsular Florida was geographically pretty well the most southern state of the US, and hence, southern.

Did they mean because of the butter involved in making them, or used on them?
I honestly see more gravy than butter used on them down here.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Over in the county my mother lives in in the Florida Panhandle, there are plenty of "old time" Floridians and believe me-southern would be the correct description-grits, catfish and banana pudding reign.
Thank you for the confirmation. I didn't think I was being wrong in suggesting that FL was southern in it's ways, even if I am an uneducated English immigrant.
Plenty of Catfish, grits, banana pudding, smoked mullet and cajun chicken around on the menu's down here in Tampa too.
Get this, I've even seen soft shelled turtle on a menu, didn't try it, but I know people that have.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:05 pm
Banned

I have grits with other stuff because it tastes like shit.
LoL. Can't deny that it's apparently not to everyone's taste, mine included.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the confirmation. I didn't think I was being wrong in suggesting that FL was southern in it's ways, even if I am an uneducated English immigrant.
Plenty of Catfish, grits, banana pudding, smoked mullet and cajun chicken around on the menu's down here in Tampa too.
Get this, I've even seen soft shelled turtle on a menu, didn't try it, but I know people that have.
I did try gator tail once here, not awful not great so wouldn't go out of my way to have it again-boiled peanuts as well.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:07 pm
Sursum corda

LoL. Can't deny that it's apparently not to everyone's taste, mine included.
No grits for me thanks, but then I'm not as a teeshirt exclaims- GRITS-GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.