British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/ok-so-what-do-you-think-about-biscuits-gravy-565502/)

BritishGuy36 Oct 6th 2008 4:06 pm

Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'?

....or 'tasteless scones with flour and bacon/sausage grease', as I prefer to call them.

The most disgusting food source known to man, IMHO, am I alone?

TruBrit Oct 6th 2008 4:11 pm

Re: Ok - so what do you think about 'biscuits and gravy'?

love the biscuits but not the white gravy, just a nice spicy sausage pattie in the middle and a side order of bacon pls :wub:

my mil made the best home made biscuits and sausage bless her :wub:

nethead Oct 6th 2008 4:15 pm

Yeah, I like biscuits now too, like TB not sure about the white gravy, but like them with the gravy from KFC :o:wub:

Marty J Oct 6th 2008 4:19 pm

I don't like the look of the "biscuits", but I like the gravy.

I loooooove chicken fried steak and country gravy.

TruBrit Oct 6th 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Marty J (Post 6849736)
I don't like the look of the biscuits, but I like the gravy.

I loooooove chicken fried steak and country gravy.

now i love the irish fresh baked soda bread...that's great for a bacon sarnie :thumbup:

Bluegrass Lass Oct 6th 2008 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6849700)
....or 'tasteless scones with flour and bacon/sausage grease', as I prefer to call them.

I'm the native USC in the relationship (and from the South to boot) and I absolutely CANNOT stomach biscuits and gravy. I can't stand buttermilk biscuits, and I don't like sausage thus I hate the gravy.

However, my Brit OH loves it!! :blink: <insert vomit smiley here>

Marty J Oct 6th 2008 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6849742)
now i love the irish fresh baked soda bread...that's great for a bacon sarnie :thumbup:

Soda bread is the best; I love it with bacon and lots of HP sauce.

Everyone in the states looks at me funny when I mention soda bread. I think they think it's made with Pepsi or something.

nethead Oct 6th 2008 4:24 pm

My mum used to make soda scones they were scrumptious even better if you grill cheese on them.

another bloody yank Oct 6th 2008 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6849700)

Biscuits and gravy.... I could jump into a swimming pool of it and eat my way out.

paul1968mcr Oct 6th 2008 4:58 pm

how can they be eaten for breakfast??????

went to a real dodgy grill for breakfast with one of the guys from work, he ordered us a Man's Breakfast.

2 plates each arrived PILED high with omlette, runny eggs, ham and bacon and a plate full of biscuits and white gravy. He mixed all the lot into a runny swill and ate it all.

I managed 1/2 an omlette and the ham - I honestly have never quite felt sooo ill watching someone eat.

Circus-of-Power Oct 6th 2008 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6849822)
Biscuits and gravy.... I could jump into a swimming pool of it and eat my way out.

backstroke or crawl :confused:

Used to think it looked disgusting....tried the wife's home cooked version and its not half bad ....lots of sausage and black pepper ....

TruBrit Oct 6th 2008 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr (Post 6849823)
how can they be eaten for breakfast??????

went to a real dodgy grill for breakfast with one of the guys from work, he ordered us a Man's Breakfast.

2 plates each arrived PILED high with omlette, runny eggs, ham and bacon and a plate full of biscuits and white gravy. He mixed all the lot into a runny swill and ate it all.

I managed 1/2 an omlette and the ham - I honestly have never quite felt sooo ill watching someone eat.

yep greasy spoons everywhere....find a good breakfast restaurant and you'll be ok although i still can't do the white gravy.

TruBrit Oct 6th 2008 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Marty J (Post 6849746)
Soda bread is the best; I love it with bacon and lots of HP sauce.

Everyone in the states looks at me funny when I mention soda bread. I think they think it's made with Pepsi or something.

the best i've eaten was in belfast, delicious and yes HP sauce is the way to go :thumbup:

cindyabs Oct 6th 2008 5:05 pm

I had never had it 'til I moved to the Midwest-it's not a New England thing. But I like it fine. :thumbup:

DH LOVES biscuits although he hasn't tried 'em with the sausage gravy.

Jerseygirl Oct 6th 2008 5:06 pm

The best biscuits IMO are dark chocolate digestives...with a nice cuppa tea. :wub: