Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Living close to London...mistake?

Living close to London...mistake?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living close to London...mistake?

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I second that call to disestablish the Church, but doubt that it would pass on a referendum.

Each school to choose its uniform based on a national standard (so choice in color, material, etc but not deviating from the national standard wear)

Link to wiki re Muslim attire for men and women http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Muslim_societies

A paragraph from the Qu'ran
"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and guard their private parts and not to display their adornment except that which ordinarily appears thereof and to draw their headcovers over their chests and not to display their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands fathers, their sons." (24:31).
It sounds archaic to me and has no place in the modern world IMO.
It has no place in your world view, a Western view. For those raised in Muslim nations, I'm sure both men and women find Western attire (or lack of it) shocking or disrespectful...

NC Penguin
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It has no place in your world view, a Western view. For those raised in Muslim nations, I'm sure both men and women find Western attire (or lack of it) shocking or disrespectful...

NC Penguin
Yet many also adopt the western attire when they leave their muslims countries. Some western attire will also shock and disgust westerners who also find it disrespectful. It is also not just muslims who are disgusted at the behaviour either of some western people, many westerners are also not happy with it. You only have to read these boards to see it. In some of the middle eastern countries I have been too the women also wear western attire underneath ther hijab and at home wear western clothing. It is in public they wear their hijab or in the company of men.

But in some other muslim countries it is not always the case, Iran comes to mind at the moment, I personally think Women should have the freedom to have the choice of what they wear and not be dictated by religion or people views on it nor should they live in fear in wanting to wear what they want or even having a career if they want to. I personally don't care what religion anyone is but many women in muslim cultures do not have freedom that many western women experience and that is also living in a western country. In some cases it may be viewed as living back in the dark ages, and not all are happy living like that either. But they may not have alternative choices, due to living in fear of their community etc and may not know how to change their circumstances.

Last edited by Mercedes; Aug 20th 2006 at 7:15 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:15 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
"Lowering your gaze and not displaying your adornments" are the parts that I have no time for and consider archaic in the West. However if you feel comfortable arguing that women should follow this behaviour/dress code thats fine by me. They also find the notion of a women challenging a man's point of view shocking and disrespectful should we also give a flying toss about that?
As for being raised in Muslim nations, that is just so much BS - Muslims in the West raised in secular or non Muslim society have as many problems adjusting to the fact that women are not second class citizens. In these societies women who stay in the home, never venturing out without a male relative and certainly uneducated and not speaking the language of their home country is the exception not the rule. It is the Muslim that needs to adjust in the West, not the non Muslim.
What happens in democratically elected Muslim nations is their business. If they wish to follow Sharia Law or any other Muslim law and all that that entails and how it impacts on women then so be it. Though I would support any womens movement that challenged how they are treated under this law.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
What happens in democratically elected Muslim nations is their business. If they wish to follow Sharia Law or any other Muslim law and all that that entails and how it impacts on women then so be it. Though I would support any womens movement that challenged how they are treated under this law.
Here's a link you may interested in then

http://www.whrnet.org/fundamentalisms/links.html