To go or not to go....

Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: To go or not to go....

Yippee I've booked my flight just preparing for a few more weeks to go!
Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:28 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit09
How are you and the baby feeling? Must be an exciting and scary time but I have this feeling everything will work out!!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
How are you and the baby feeling? Must be an exciting and scary time but I have this feeling everything will work out!!
Hi we're fine, thanks for asking. Up to date with blood tests they came back normal & we had baby shower week ago it was our first (& last) lol but had a lot of fun! Everything going to plan on maternity leave by end of this week. Going to send off citizenship application b4 I go.

Hubby's taken a turn for the better, he will be coming after for Xmas/new year holidays. He has work but I'll be back if no complications (hopefully no c-section) & sort baby's passport. We'll decide if go back for good next year before my maternity leave ends.
I'm only scared if go into labour on the plane otherwise excited lol thanks for your encouragement
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

So happy it has worked out for you and that hubby is on board to go back as well. Good for getting citizenship that gives you plenty of future options. Wishing you all the best - keep us posted!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkbritinNZ
Hi we haven't heard any update from you, sorry if I took over your thread but by reading your post it inspired me to take a step in going back myself. I hope things are working out & you've been able to make a decision. People on here are great & I'm glad I found this website..
FEELBRIT. Thank-you! so far so good...yes, dual citizenship is never a bad idea.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:54 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Great news, all the best.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

pom_in_NZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have been reading these interesting posts and it’s good to know that I'm not feeling totally alone!!!

I'm a Pom also and currently going through the homesickness (since early this year). I have been in NZ for 3.5 years now. After I moved there, I then met my kiwi husband (whom I married last month in the UK). We went over to the UK in July last year for a holiday and he proposed to me in Paris. He had the opportunity to meet my family (all went very well). Last month, we headed back to the UK again to get hitched at my town in Southern England. It was such a beautiful day and I was so happy to be back there in my home country with my family and friends.

The recent 'saying goodbyes' was the hardest and I felt much worse than years ago when I did a lot of travelling to AUS/NZ on my own. My mum and I couldn't let go of each other at the airport and I had this urge that I just didn't want to return to NZ and stay in the UK instead.

Now, we are back in NZ, I'm feeling low and wishing I was back in the UK and missing my mum terribly. We have talked about starting a family but I'm not ready just yet. Partly I'm undecided where I want to be for the next 5 years with my husband and where to bring up kids. I want to be really sure and so, at the same time, I just enjoy our new married life.

My husband has enjoyed the visits to the UK and enjoyed the various part of the UK (South/South West). He has a numerous of own friends already living in the UK. I have asked him if he would like to live in the UK and he said yeah but I think it's a general answer to "one day in a few years time” and he thinks that NZ is the best place to bring up children.

I think I will be even more unhappy if I continue to live here in NZ and have kids. I won't have the family network support from the UK. My family members in the UK would support me and my husband doesn’t have many and he is only close to his mother. I have a good job and my husband is not in employment. He owned a few properties and he is not reluctant to sell one of his properties if we buy a house in the UK. Also, I don’t have a lot of friends and it’s been hard to make new ones.

I feel trapped and not moving forward positively. I am hoping things will fall in the place slowly in time and get what I want. I have even casually looked at jobs available in the UK as I’d rather secure a job before moving back to the UK.

I can’t get NZ Citizenship until 2016 as I got my residency last Sept after being on a WHV/Work Permits. After April 2013, I will have lived here 184 days in the 2nd year and I would meet the requirement of converting to PR in Sept 2013.

Sorry I don’t mean to drag on about this but this is what I’m going through right now. I’m just hoping my husband will support my decision.

Cheers,
Claire
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there Claire.
In my experience (& it is only my experience of those around me the past 9 odd years) Kiwi's prefer their children to be brought up in New Zealand. They may move overseas.Marry overseas & start a family overseas but in the main they will look back to NZ to bring up their kids. Pressure & persuasion can be brought to bear on this subject of 'where is best to bring up kids' . A spouse can subsequently find themselves in NZ, torn apart by having left their own family network & country of birth & finding the replacement NZ family and country difficult to meld into.

Don't, whatever you do, start a family until and unless you are very sure of where you really deeply want to be. With your spouse here in NZ or back on your home turf.

If you do manage to get him back to the UK to live remain aware that he may well feel the same as you & feel trapped but also unhappy about his kids not being brought up Kiwi style.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there Claire.
In my experience (& it is only my experience of those around me the past 9 odd years) Kiwi's prefer their children to be brought up in New Zealand. They may move overseas.Marry overseas & start a family overseas but in the main they will look back to NZ to bring up their kids. Pressure & persuasion can be brought to bear on this subject of 'where is best to bring up kids' . A spouse can subsequently find themselves in NZ, torn apart by having left their own family network & country of birth & finding the replacement NZ family and country difficult to meld into.

Don't, whatever you do, start a family until and unless you are very sure of where you really deeply want to be. With your spouse here in NZ or back on your home turf.

If you do manage to get him back to the UK to live remain aware that he may well feel the same as you & feel trapped but also unhappy about his kids not being brought up Kiwi style.
I completely agree with this. It can make for a long and unhappy life filled with happy pills.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there Claire.

I agree too, Everything changes once you have children, you really need to sort out your life before moving on, Unfortunatly these issues should have been discussed before you got married, I'm not being judgemental, You are one of many that go down this road. I wish you the best.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Will be on UK soil by the weekend so excited!
Hope no airport chaos or delays States black Friday & Thanksgiving eek!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:01 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that came round quickly!!!! Just wanted to wish you and the 'bump' a safe journey, fingers crossed everything works out for you back home! Good luck love!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

SuffolkbritinNZ will become famous soon enough

suffolkbritinNZ
Hi we haven't heard any update from you, sorry if I took over your thread but by reading your post it inspired me to take a step in going back myself. I hope things are working out & you've been able to make a decision. People on here are great & I'm glad I found this website..
FEELBRIT. Thank-you! so far so good...yes, dual citizenship is never a bad idea.
Thanks for asking! I decided to treat my trip back home at Xmas as a chance to have a look around at the job market, get a feel for a few places I may consider living if I ever go back and generally test the water. I have a real good job in New Zealand and it seemed too crazy to throw it all in, to go back to UK with no money, no job when I'm still not quite 'done' with NZ. A this stage I'm thinking just go home and have a wonderful time with family and friends over Xmas, have a really really good think about my future and where it now lies, come back to NZ in January and enjoy summer here, save all my money, and then if its right, maybe head home in April / May time. Don't want to put it off toooo long if its what I need to do, but I need to be financially secure before I do such a big move and I also need to be mentally sure it's what I really want. I also agree with everyone who told me to stick around in NZ on my own for a while after I split with my boyfriend and not rush home. Was so the right thing to do. It's been a really tough, and at times incredibly lonely 6 months, but I swear its made me much stronger. I've thrown myself in to work, done really well and even studied for and passed some exams! I decided to focus on my career and it seems to have paid off. So somehow, it feels I'm coming through the other side and hopeful that come the new year, I'll have a firm plan of where my next adventure begins! Best of luck with your move brit09
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

wow! Bon Voyage! Hope you have a good trip, but bring your willies, it's a tad squishy here at the mo!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 6:54 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuffolkbritinNZ
Thanks for asking! I decided to treat my trip back home at Xmas as a chance to have a look around at the job market, get a feel for a few places I may consider living if I ever go back and generally test the water. I have a real good job in New Zealand and it seemed too crazy to throw it all in, to go back to UK with no money, no job when I'm still not quite 'done' with NZ. A this stage I'm thinking just go home and have a wonderful time with family and friends over Xmas, have a really really good think about my future and where it now lies, come back to NZ in January and enjoy summer here, save all my money, and then if its right, maybe head home in April / May time. Don't want to put it off toooo long if its what I need to do, but I need to be financially secure before I do such a big move and I also need to be mentally sure it's what I really want. I also agree with everyone who told me to stick around in NZ on my own for a while after I split with my boyfriend and not rush home. Was so the right thing to do. It's been a really tough, and at times incredibly lonely 6 months, but I swear its made me much stronger. I've thrown myself in to work, done really well and even studied for and passed some exams! I decided to focus on my career and it seems to have paid off. So somehow, it feels I'm coming through the other side and hopeful that come the new year, I'll have a firm plan of where my next adventure begins! Best of luck with your move brit09
That sounds like an excellent plan! You and I are kinda in the same boat and once you come out the other side its such a relief! I've been split from my ex for approx 18 months now and am doing just fine. Going home May 31st, am just working and saving hard atm, got my citizenship, got a plan and am really looking forward to the future. All the best to you which ever way you decide to jump, you have stuck it out and done really well for yourself so here's hoping you have a wonderful Xmas with your friends and family!!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Nov 22nd 2012 at 6:58 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.