Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

do you drink more in oz, hic??

do you drink more in oz, hic??

Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:12 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: do you drink more in oz, hic??

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Keep your Alans on it was a joke.
Mono should move to Canada as the joke was flying way above in the sky...ha, ha. Totally loved your going to the pub post. Thank you. Bloody hell....you feel like such an alcoholic here....shandy's all round....oooohhhhh....no, I'll have a rice tea! Canadians (massive generalization of course) are bloody awful socializers, truly not a clue. I can't wait to go home and experience the pub and not feel that deep Canadian shame of having a drink!

And they LOVE a pot luck. I hate it.....have to bring a bloody dish....load of miss matched shite on a table.....oh goodness, you've got me going now....why can't someone just invite you to dinner?

And I've been invited for morning tea with kids and given a start and a finish time. Bizarre. And we're ALWAYS home by 10pm. ALWAYS. AAAGGGHHH.

Sitting with chums over a beer or a glass of wine in Britain is the ONLY thing that keeps me sane some days.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Mono should move to Canada as the joke was flying way above in the sky...ha, ha. Totally loved your going to the pub post. Thank you. Bloody hell....you feel like such an alcoholic here....shandy's all round....oooohhhhh....no, I'll have a rice tea! Canadians (massive generalization of course) are bloody awful socializers, truly not a clue. I can't wait to go home and experience the pub and not feel that deep Canadian shame of having a drink!

And they LOVE a pot luck. I hate it.....have to bring a bloody dish....load of miss matched shite on a table.....oh goodness, you've got me going now....why can't someone just invite you to dinner?

And I've been invited for morning tea with kids and given a start and a finish time. Bizarre. And we're ALWAYS home by 10pm. ALWAYS. AAAGGGHHH.

Sitting with chums over a beer or a glass of wine in Britain is the ONLY thing that keeps me sane some days.
its the same in oz - they invite you round for dinner and then expect you to bring your own!! when i go out with my aussie workmkates, everyone buys their own drinks - a big queue at the bar all waiting to pay separately, shit scared they might have to buy a workmate a drink - however quick enough to accept an offer

we have also been invited to our neighbours for drinks and then politely asked to leave as they were now going to eat!!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:47 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101

Made me laugh.

Pot luck... 15 people bring that spinach dip thing (and i quite liked it!)

In BC, you get a pint they think you're and alcoholic. Pull out a joint and everyone lights up. Our summer parties on a boat round Burrard Inlet it must of looked like the boat was on fire from the shore the amount of smoke coming off the top deck. Even our 70 year old receptionist pulled out a pipe.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:05 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
we have also been invited to our neighbours for drinks and then politely asked to leave as they were now going to eat!!

I know these people - they did the same to me.

jeez, talk about lack of social skills...
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123

Maybe my rellies could learn some social skills!I recall a few years back I went to visit an uncle and aunt who I had'nt seen for years.Ok so the visit was unannounced at lunchtime.When my auntie opened the front door,she said hello and hugged me,I apologised for the uninvited visit,but stated we would'nt stay long,then was told we could'nt come in because "We're about to have a roast"hhmmmmm!!!!!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bijilo123

ha ha!! the funny thing was - they phoned us at about 3ish and said come round at 530pm. I had a roast cooking and was going to say no - but in our desperate attempt to make friends and get to know people, i took it out the oven and said we would go - I stupidly thought that they might offer us something to eat. but after about an hour they showed us the door. so we come home all despondant at getting chucked out and were so hungry, we ended up with sandwiches for dinner that night!!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I never had a problem meal sharing with people.Must get it from my Mum!She came from a family of 13 kids,and apparently her own mother thought nothing of it if anyone else turned up!I recall when I was married to my ex OH.I had made friends with all these folk from a local commune,they all turned up just before tea time and OH walked in from work to find 20 extra people for tea!!!!He was'nt impressedNot surprisingly we later got divorced!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the difficulty of meeting people......After 6 years here I am used to meeting people in pubs who really aren't interested and leave you wondering why you bothered talking. But tonight my best mate and I had a really enjoyable night in the local dive, lots of beer, lots of laughs, lots of karaoke, and I found myself thinking at one point that I was with a bunch of strangers (though he knew them) yet having a really good time. Then the penny dropped - Cumbrian, Liverpudlian, Midlands, all but two were from back home (and those two left early). We didn't set out to meet a bunch of Brits, it just happened, and it really did make for a really good night. I think one thing was that I didn't feel "judged" by anyone. Even though I didn't know any of them that didn't matter, they just accepted me. I've never had that with a group of Aussies.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:24 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh the difficulty of meeting people......After 6 years here I am used to meeting people in pubs who really aren't interested and leave you wondering why you bothered talking. But tonight my best mate and I had a really enjoyable night in the local dive, lots of beer, lots of laughs, lots of karaoke, and I found myself thinking at one point that I was with a bunch of strangers (though he knew them) yet having a really good time. Then the penny dropped - Cumbrian, Liverpudlian, Midlands, all but two were from back home (and those two left early). We didn't set out to meet a bunch of Brits, it just happened, and it really did make for a really good night. I think one thing was that I didn't feel "judged" by anyone. Even though I didn't know any of them that didn't matter, they just accepted me. I've never had that with a group of Aussies.
Funny thing, for all the slagging that Americans get, you always have a right laugh with them. One weekend in Seattle brings back hangover memories.