Chester?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Chester?

Originally Posted by mister_meow
My house is up for sale now - I'm getting ready to leave - OMG - I'm bit nervous - Tomorrow I'm sending away for my passport - It's all seal in an envelope ready to be sent courier - My house has a 45 day closing - Once the house sells - I'm putting everything up for sale in auction - I've sold the car and now running around in a beater - BTW 10 years since I last sore home - I know I'm in for shock but I'm looking forward in someways to going home - England is home for me - Canada I love and It's been fun and I have grown and change a lot - But It's ran it's course for me - Chester here I come.
Good-luck with the move. Keep us informed as it's always interesting to hear how the final move goes and how it feels to be back in the UK. It will probably feel strange at first. No Tim Hortons drive thru! How will you survive.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

mister_meow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sazzer
Good-luck with the move. Keep us informed as it's always interesting to hear how the final move goes and how it feels to be back in the UK. It will probably feel strange at first. No Tim Hortons drive thru! How will you survive.
LOL - Actually I'll be clad to see the back of Tim Hortons - The whole thing makes me shudder. I can't understand why they so popular and there is one every 50 yards - considering Timmie's make the weakest coffee and everything from a muffin to a bagel taste pretty much the same - Thanks for the support.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy170773
We are moving back to the Chester or Wirral area as this is where family lives and where we grew up. Chester area is a great area to live, very central to many great places and attractions. Chester is a fantastic city which, I am sure you will agree once there. Crime is not generally considered a problem although there are places and times where you would be wise to be aware of but definitely not something you should worry yourself with as you will become familiar in your own time.
I too loved living in Chester for the 5 years that we did, before we emigrated to Canada in 2005, but in just 5 years we were burgled once and had our cars knicked off our driveway twice, so not really a low crime area in our experience.

We lived on the end of Parkgate Road; just before the Mollington Banastre hotel, so en-route to the motorway network. All credit to the local police, the criminals were caught each time, and each time they were Scousers and (with one exception) barely more than kids

One time one of the cars they pinched was used as the getaway vehicle in a Securicor hold-up and then abandoned. When we got it back (a Honda Prelude) it had sooooo much better performance than when they took it!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I too loved living in Chester for the 5 years that we did, before we emigrated to Canada in 2005, but in just 5 years we were burgled once and had our cars knicked off our driveway twice, so not really a low crime area in our experience.

We lived on the end of Parkgate Road; just before the Mollington Banastre hotel, so en-route to the motorway network. All credit to the local police, the criminals were caught each time, and each time they were Scousers and (with one exception) barely more than kids

One time one of the cars they pinched was used as the getaway vehicle in a Securicor hold-up and then abandoned. When we got it back (a Honda Prelude) it had sooooo much better performance than when they took it!
Damn thieving scousers!
I guess that is one of the downsides to having a rail link with Liverpool lol.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Damn thieving scousers!
I realised after I posted that that maybe the Scouser comment was a bit un-PC but I was just trying to indicate that it wasn't done by Chester locals, if you see what I mean?

I'm the last person to have anything against Liverpudlians (with the exception of the specific ones who knicked our stuff! ) as 50% of my family are from there, including my mum who was pushed around in a shared pram with George Harrison as an infant
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Well that was a shock. My house only lasted 1 day on the market. 2 viewings and it sold subject to an inspection next week and for asking. Long closing tho. almost 3 months. Which for me is perfect. Passports, Garage sell. Auction. Then I'm off.....
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was a shock. My house only lasted 1 day on the market. 2 viewings and it sold subject to an inspection next week and for asking. Long closing tho. almost 3 months. Which for me is perfect. Passports, Garage sell. Auction. Then I'm off.....
Oh great news...you get out of all those home opens etc..you lucky thing you...good luck with sorting things out....3 months...it will fly....well it certainly did for usand now I am chasing my tail...lol...
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Damn thieving scousers!
Lol..got to say we are having a Scouser join our family soon, our neice is marrying a Liverpudlian...and a VERY nice lad he is as well...being a Mancunian I will admit that here in Aus but never when we are home..lol...the wedding is in Chester...lol...in August 2010 at a castle....cannot wait..but we might leave the car at home....I value my wheels etc...lol.....
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I realised after I posted that that maybe the Scouser comment was a bit un-PC but I was just trying to indicate that it wasn't done by Chester locals, if you see what I mean?

I'm the last person to have anything against Liverpudlians (with the exception of the specific ones who knicked our stuff! ) as 50% of my family are from there, including my mum who was pushed around in a shared pram with George Harrison as an infant
No offense taken. I know what some of them can be like, fortunately I am not one of them.
Your mum is a very special scouser, sharing a pram with George!!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

British passport office have debit the Credit Card - So that must mean that the passport is on it's way soon - I'm extremely nervous that I making horrible mistake - Giving up Canada - Because it almost seems like everyone wants to leave the UK - I love this country and I probably shed a tear - But England is home - I'm feeling nervous as well as excited all at the same time - The trouble I'm not the person I was when I left - I've grown mentally and I had the most wonderfully time - It will really hit me when I see the lights of early morning Manchester and those little square fields and I get that sense of feeling of home as the wheels of the plane screech on the tarmac - June the the first I shall be on my way - I haven't the foggiest idea of how to get from Manchester to Chester - what is the easier way - I also wonder if I'm better to rent a flat on-line or book a hotel for a week then find a flat. Hotel seems reasonable on Hotels.ca

Last edited by mister_meow; Apr 16th 2010 at 9:03 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:20 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

British passport office have debit the Credit Card - So that must mean that the passport is on it's way soon - I'm extremely nervous that I making horrible mistake - Giving up Canada - Because it almost seems like everyone wants to leave the UK - I love this country and I probably shed a tear - But England is home - I'm feeling nervous as well as excited all at the same time - The trouble I'm not the person I was when I left - I've grown mentally and I had the most wonderfully time - It will really hit me when I see the lights of early morning Manchester and those little square fields and I get that sense of feeling of home as the wheels of the plane screech on the tarmac - June the the first I shall be on my way - I haven't the foggiest idea of how to get from Manchester to Chester - what is the easier way - I also wonder if I'm better to rent a flat on-line or book a hotel for a week then find a flat. Hotel seems reasonable on Hotels.ca
There are regular trains from Manchester to Chester - if you look online you can get timetable and booking information (can't remember the site though!)
and its a good idea to actually book a ticket a few weeks in advance to get a usually fairly hefty discount.

Alternatively, you could hire a car from the airport or check out National coaches who also do runs from the major cities - again, check online for details.

I'd book a hotel for a week or two, just to get my bearings and see for myself what's about and what's available before making a big commitment with buying or renting a property. Do you plan to look for work? because if you do, that will obviously have some bearing on the logistics of the situation.

Just a thought...as when we come home for the summer we're usually in a mix of hotels or staying with the rellies for a six to eight week stretch and it can get a bit wearing after a while! This year, we've looked into renting a mobile home or lodge for part of the holidays and there are some very good deals about in the North West. Check out Hoseasons, if you're interested, again, like the trains, the coaches and the cars -you can book online.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Chester and go back several times a year...so if there's anything I can help you with I will.

If you rent a car at Manchester airport...Alamo/Enterprise is the one I find the best and they have an office at Terminal 2 which is the terminal you will arrive at. It's quite a drag if you have to go to T 1 to pick up a rental car. It's a very easy drive to Chester...you get onto the M56 as soon as you leave the airport...that takes you right through to Chester.

There seems to be a lot of Premier Inns around the Cheshire area...the prices they post outside seem very reasonable. If you want something more reasonable there are quite a lot of small hotels, guest houses and B & B's on Hoole Road...which is right off the M56 and goes almost into the centre of Chester.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Wub and Jerseygirl. I can't thank you enough it's all starting to make sense. I'll go the car hire route. I'll be longing to a sleep and I be wanting to get to a hotel and check in fast. To adjust to the timezone I need at least one day to slob around and adjust - I be getting apartment first then looking for work - Should all go to plan. Everything has gone like clockwork - I'm just using this board to ease my fears and get some great and needed advice. Thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Wub. Interesting idea the Hoseasons. Lovely cottages. I'm not sure how practical it would be - I would need a car and hope to get apartment within week and car almost in the first few days - So hotel in Chester might be best - Although I found one nice cottage pretty close - I really going to need a car tho - I work out what to do in the next few days. The main snag is the don't have high-speed internet - Which simplifies looking for a car and apartment - Their very nice tho I would even consider one for holiday.

Last edited by mister_meow; Apr 17th 2010 at 1:37 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wub and Jerseygirl. I can't thank you enough it's all starting to make sense. I'll go the car hire route. I'll be longing to a sleep and I be wanting to get to a hotel and check in fast. To adjust to the timezone I need at least one day to slob around and adjust - I be getting apartment first then looking for work - Should all go to plan. Everything has gone like clockwork - I'm just using this board to ease my fears and get some great and needed advice. Thanks.
Rent the car on line. If you have an American Express card you can pay AMEX around $25 each time you rent a car to fully cover car rental insurance if you pay by AMEX. It's well worth it.

You should be able to get a good deal on a used car right now. Toby Inns have a small lodge with a few rooms...it is right by the M56 exit. The pub do a great all day carvery for about £7...if you stay for 7 days you get 1 days stay free. (Check this because it may have changed) The rooms are basic but the rates are good and include breakfast...you can have a few bevvies and walk home!! There are no elevators so if you don't want to carry cases up 1 flight of stairs ask for a ground floor room.

http://www.toby-carvery.co.uk/find-a...levillage.html

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 17th 2010 at 1:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.