Chester?

Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

mister_meow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chester?

Hi - I'm new here - I've been in Canada for 8 years. I'm afraid that it has ran it's course for me - Reluctantly I'm looking to go home - I don't fancy the prospect of making min-wage in Canada and running out my last bit of savings - So I want to move to somewhere nice - Chester sounds perfect place to start over - Houses are affordable to let and it looks great - I would like to hear some more thoughts on Chester.

Last edited by mister_meow; Nov 26th 2009 at 3:50 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

JLTPhotography is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chester?

I used to live near and around Chester. I spent most of my teenage years rattling around the place. It's a lovely city and plenty of nice places to visit close by. The biggest change in the last 8 1/2 years I've been away, living in BC Canada, is at night. There has been a big change, lots of young, aggressive guys, that seem to spend much of their time looking for trouble. I know that you'll find that in most British cities, there seems to be a generation of "don't give a s***" types. That said, it's still a great city. The surrounding areas are wonderful. I recommend visiting The Pheasant Pub near Tattenhall or The Grosvenor Arms just outside Chester. There's also many good pubs and restaurants in the city centre. Chester has a lovely park and you can walk the Roman walls or hang out at the River Dee in the summer. I'd recommend finding a place in one of the many outlying villages which won't be more than a 10 minute drive to Chester. They have a good park and ride service because parking in Chester can be difficult and expensive. You could do far worse than Chester. Go for it!!

I myself will be moving back to the UK in January. My wife has a scholarship at the Tante Marie cookery school in Woking, Surrey. We're both planning on starting our own business. After her 6 month course we'll be moving out of the Woking area, too expensive, but we don't yet know where we'll go.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I love Chester, we went their a lot growing up, I was in college in Wrexham so went from there and it was always the place we went for Christmas shopping, or a day out when we came over for a visit.
Really nice place to live is Hawarden, small and friendly, in easy reach of Chester.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank-you - Hawarden I look at the to let prices - I wonder if the green driving license is still value - Now that it has changed to a card - I will need to buy a car quickly when I arrive to get around.

Last edited by mister_meow; Nov 26th 2009 at 6:36 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mister_meow
Thank-you - Hawarden I look at the to let prices - I wonder if the green driving license is still value - Now that it has changed to a card - I will need to buy a car quickly when I arrive to get around.
I have an old no picture license, it's still valid. It has my Moms address on it.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Hi - I'm new here - I've been in Canada for 8 years. I'm afraid that it has ran it's course for me - Reluctantly I'm looking to go home - I don't fancy the prospect of making min-wage in Canada and running out my last bit of savings - So I want to move to somewhere nice - Chester sounds perfect place to start over - Houses are affordable to let and it looks great - I would like to hear some more thoughts on Chester.
My I ask why you are leaving? My husband and I have been talking about going back to the UK, after almost 9 years in Canada. We like it here, the kids have a great life but sometime we just feel there is something missing. Ironically I would be more nervous about going back home then when I was coming over to Canada.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

By the way I forgot to mention I lived just outside Chester in a village called Mollington, when I was a girl (that was quite awhile ago) and that was a great village.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE...why don't you introduce yourself in the Welcome Inn forum?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145

I lived in the Chester area for many years before moving to the US in 1996. In the last few years I have been looking at property in the area...mainly apartments in the City Centre. What sort of property are you looking for...house/apt...to rent or buy?

I love Chester...the River Dee...the surrounding villages...the pubs...although I have to say I don't think the city centre is as nice as it was. This is probably due to more and more out of town shopping areas. Parking has always been a nightmare...especially at this time of year.

You may find property a little less expensive just over the border into North Wales. We lived in Rossett...6 miles from Chester centre before we moved to the US...before that we lived in Mickle Trafford.

The old pink licence is still valid but you will get a new photo ID licence when you get a new address.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 26th 2009 at 8:56 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

JLTPhotography is an unknown quantity at this point

Even the new card license comes with a green sheet counterpart with you're driving history on it. Just contact DVLA when you arrive or even before if you have time and get it upgraded to the new card style. You will need an address to give them.
The North West Auto Trader should have plenty of cars in the area to choose from.
Hawarden should be reasonable for rent. Be wary of Blacon and Ellesmere Port, they're not always very desirable areas. There's usually plenty to rent in Hoole which is the north side of the city, Christleton is nice, so is the Boughton area, not to be confused with Broughton which I think is near Hawarden. You could even look at the Wirral area. Because Chester is on the border with North Wales sometimes you can get better rental rates just over the border into Wales, like with Hawarden. Deeside area and Queensferry are close but a bit hit and miss. I suggest getting a B&B, of which most tend to be in Hoole and a short walk to the city centre, and take a drive around. The Baba B&B in Hoole was ok when I last used it or Carriages near Tattenhall just off the main A41, it's changed hands recently but it was a nice place to stay and only 10 min drive to Chester.

Last edited by JLTPhotography; Nov 26th 2009 at 9:01 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Chester my parents lived there. It has changed alot over the past few years and unfortunately not for the best. But things do change. The traffic is the worst. Trying to get into town from outlying areas is bad. They now have park and ride. I lived in Hoole which was nice because you could walk into town. I would stay away from Blacon. They do plan alot of new building in the centre of town in the next few years which does not help. My brother still lives there and many of my friends they mostly live in villages outside of Chester.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CornishPasty Girl
We like it here, the kids have a great life but sometime we just feel there is something missing. Ironically I would be more nervous about going back home then when I was coming over to Canada.
I feel the same - Canada has ran it's course for me - Believe me I'm very very nervous.

Thank-you - Great information - You are all too kind

Last edited by mister_meow; Nov 27th 2009 at 3:41 am.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same - Canada has ran it's course for me - Believe me I'm very very nervous.

Thank-you - Great information - You are all too kind
Have you been to Chester...how much do you know about the area? Where have you lived in the UK? Are you moving back with family? Sorry about the questions but it may help us to assist you more.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:12 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Chester for three years and loved it. The only proble is traffic and as has been alluded to it is not trouble free - but in fairness not a dangerous place. People who suggest living in the villages should be listned to . I loved Frodsham and Cuddington and the park and ride facility makes Chester very accessible. If you can live within the city walls then that would be marvellous - entirely different.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you been to Chester...how much do you know about the area?
Not Much - I just pull it out of a hat - It is very central to where my family lives in equal distance - I will be arriving in June - Hopeful my house will sell.

Last edited by mister_meow; Nov 27th 2009 at 2:50 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:12 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Not Much - I just pull it out of a hat - It is very central to where my family lives in equal distance - I will be arriving in June - Hopeful my house will sell.
Chester is really nice, also some of the surrounding villages if you like rural.
Frodsham is a good alternative, midway between Chester and Warrington.

Houses in Frodsham nice style and good price, cheaper than Chester (which is relatively expensive)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.