Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes I did thanks Linda and it helped with Direct Line, policy is about £440.00 which is reckoned to be quite reasonable by some here!!!

I am off now to get my road tax at the Post Office , talk about a steep learning curve!!!!

Barb
I know what you mean. I don't know what this road tax is! Can you enlighten me. Is it an annual fee for the purpose of using the roads? How much will that be? What about MOT? I think I remember that is annual. How much is that?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just think of road tax as your yearly registration but usually much cheaper than here in Oz. The MOT is just a yearly roadworthy test.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did thanks Linda and it helped with Direct Line, policy is about £440.00 which is reckoned to be quite reasonable by some here!!!

I am off now to get my road tax at the Post Office , talk about a steep learning curve!!!!

Barb
from highspeedgrandma

RAC came up with the best price. I double checked the information to make sure I had told them everything, and I was able to get insurance for just over £550.00 because they were offering a 41%+ discount for online insurance!?
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Well I couldn't get the road tax at the Post Office as I have to wait for the insurance company to send me out the policy in 7 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so angry yesterday as I wasn't told this when I took out the policy with the young guy on the phone, he told me I could get the road tax with just my policy number.

I came back and complained to the Customer Service department who were shocked I had been so misinformed, I asked could they email me something, no they don't even email in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She went and spoke to the supervisor, they will send me out a manual policy on Monday and I should receive it on Tuesday, so no car driving for me until then.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Well I couldn't get the road tax at the Post Office as I have to wait for the insurance company to send me out the policy in 7 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so angry yesterday as I wasn't told this when I took out the policy with the young guy on the phone, he told me I could get the road tax with just my policy number.

I came back and complained to the Customer Service department who were shocked I had been so misinformed, I asked could they email me something, no they don't even email in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She went and spoke to the supervisor, they will send me out a manual policy on Monday and I should receive it on Tuesday, so no car driving for me until then.
One thing we like about living in Alberta is how easy it is to buy a car, register and insure it, whole thing can be done in less than an hour.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:05 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
One thing we like about living in Alberta is how easy it is to buy a car, register and insure it, whole thing can be done in less than an hour.

I have to say it is much easier in Australia too. It has been a right palaver here to be honest.

OK so there is my second thing to miss about Australia.

My kids and grand-kids being the only other thing I miss.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit the biggest frustration since being back here is all the beaurocracy. They are still a bit in the dark ages..everything is "we will send you a letter" never we will give you a call or e-mail or even fax.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say it is much easier in Australia too. It has been a right palaver here to be honest.

OK so there is my second thing to miss about Australia.

My kids and grand-kids being the only other thing I miss.
Be sure and give us your flight number so we can track you
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I have to admit the biggest frustration since being back here is all the beaurocracy. They are still a bit in the dark ages..everything is "we will send you a letter" never we will give you a call or e-mail or even fax.

Have you forgotten the long lines at the DMV here in Las Vegas?

You had to allow at least half a day to do a transaction and you had better hope you had all the docs you needed. They even had a security guard stationed there in case anyone went ballistic (but I controlled myself).

Take a number and people watch and waittttttt.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Have you forgotten the long lines at the DMV here in Las Vegas?

You had to allow at least half a day to do a transaction and you had better hope you had all the docs you needed. They even had a security guard stationed there in case anyone went ballistic (but I controlled myself).

Take a number and people watch and waittttttt.
I am talking about everything, not just car related stuff..
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am talking about everything, not just car related stuff..
You could throw your weight around and say "why back where I come from we do things efficiently" Be sure and wear a helmet if you do say anything

The latest thing for me is when you deposit a check at the ATM and you don't need to put it in an envelope or include a deposit slip and you get a receipt with a photo copy of your check. Thats fun. But then I think in Europe you can use a vending machine and use a card to pay for your purchase. So maybe there are pluses and minuses?

Last edited by cheers; Apr 17th 2011 at 7:56 am.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:14 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
You could throw your weight around and say "why back where I come from we do things efficiently" Be sure and wear a helmet if you do say anything

The latest thing for me is when you deposit a check at the ATM and you don't need to put it in an envelope or include a deposit slip and you get a receipt with a photo copy of your check. Thats fun. But then I think in Europe you can use a vending machine and use a card to pay for your purchase. So maybe there are pluses and minuses?
That's cheque not check.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Frustrating no doubt. 2 steps forward, one step backward....
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by bandrui
Frustrating no doubt. 2 steps forward, one step backward....

Yes and funnily enough I have an interview this afternoon for a job in Customer Service.

I will be using my experience with Direct Line as an example of POOR customer service.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes and funnily enough I have an interview this afternoon for a job in Customer Service.

I will be using my experience with Direct Line as an example of POOR customer service.
Good idea . Let us know how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.