Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Wikiposts

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Originally Posted by cheers
Somewhere you mentioned I think a Nissan Moreno 4x4 for the UK. Whatever is was I looked them up on AutoTrader and the ones I saw that were about 10 years old looked like they were new condition.
I don't know the Moreno. I'll take a look. Must also check on the xtrail. I think it's like the Xterra here.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know there is quit a trade in used cars coming into the UK from Japan and they sell cheap. Someone we stayed with in Wales bought a Toyota that way at the dock in Southampton.
That sounds very interesting. Do you get a record of the car, ability to look it over, etc.? Cash on the spot?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
That sounds very interesting. Do you get a record of the car, ability to look it over, etc.? Cash on the spot?
Yes you get to check the car out but as for the rest we'll have wait until someone jumps in who knows and tells us.
My feelings are that cars 8-10 years old are cheap enough so why bother, but we can keep our options open, right?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this which I read, even though it is long, and it tells a lot about the grey market cars.

I think the Skylines in the UK were Grey Market cars and the newer ones maybe imported through normal channels and they are less expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_import_vehicle
Old Apr 11th 2011, 10:44 am
Just Joined

handyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Originally Posted by bandrui
Unfotunately I will definitely be looking in the used car market so this will be out for me.

I am reposting that used car review link here so I can actually find it again

http://www.whatcar.com/
I have found WhatCar a useful resource for finding out about cars in the UK with videos of new car reviews plus owners reviews. Another good source for information is honestjohn.com, the writer has a column in the Sunday Telegraph. Remember that UK gas (petrol) is almost double the price in Canada. It's less expensive to drive a turbo diesel if you do a lot of mileage. Also automatic transmission cars are thirstier, so drive a standard if you can. One of the best small used car values is the Nissan Note, built in the UK. For a small SUV looking car check out the Nissan Qashqai. Good Luck!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by handyman
I have found WhatCar a useful resource for finding out about cars in the UK with videos of new car reviews plus owners reviews. Another good source for information is honestjohn.com, the writer has a column in the Sunday Telegraph. Remember that UK gas (petrol) is almost double the price in Canada. It's less expensive to drive a turbo diesel if you do a lot of mileage. Also automatic transmission cars are thirstier, so drive a standard if you can. One of the best small used car values is the Nissan Note, built in the UK. For a small SUV looking car check out the Nissan Qashqai. Good Luck!
Someone said diesels are not good for short trips.
I don't agree with automatics having greater fuel usage. That was true a few years ago but with the development of the newer auto transmissions it is no longer the case. As a side note when you take into account the cost of replacing a clutch you are hands down on the cost overall.
I would like a manual shifting car for performance.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Someone said diesels are not good for short trips.
I don't agree with automatics having greater fuel usage. That was true a few years ago but with the development of the newer auto transmissions it is no longer the case. As a side note when you take into account the cost of replacing a clutch you are hands down on the cost overall.
I would like a manual shifting car for performance.
I have decided that I would like to replace, as closely as possible, the car I have now... Nissan 240SX. I have had it for 16 years and enjoy it as much today as the day I bought it. Such a joy to drive. I don't think they make it for the UK market but I believe there are some that are close.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK my husband always advised people to buy Japanese, even though he always drove Mustangs and Camaros
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:17 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i always drove German cars in the UK..well VWs and Audi..much better than Japanese cars IMO...if i go back im gona get myself a BMW.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:08 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i always drove German cars in the UK..well VWs and Audi..much better than Japanese cars IMO...if i go back im gona get myself a BMW.
Japanese (used to be?) far cheaper to fix IF it did go wrong.

Other than that we personally as a couple prefer to buy older higher model vehicles to newer basic models.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:25 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I dont do basic
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Japanese (used to be?) far cheaper to fix IF it did go wrong.

Other than that we personally as a couple prefer to buy older higher model vehicles to newer basic models.
Me too.

Incidentally, I was in a crash in Vancouver (not my fault ), T-boned by a BMW, newer model. They ran a stop sign and crashed into the side of my car... driver's door was compressed several inches and there was a fair amount of damage to my car but the Beemer was a write-off.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Emiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of light

What about a Van????????
A T5 Volkswagon Transporter
Perfect for everything!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by Emiric
What about a Van????????
A T5 Volkswagon Transporter
Perfect for everything!
I think when you move back you will think the parking spaces are so tiny, they are compared to the US anyway. If you have a large vehicle and want to keep it nice you will find yourself parking well away from the stores etc to stop it getting bashed by other car doors. My husband has a big car (estate car) and I have a smaller one, we take my car to the gym, to the supermarket, for a hospital visit etc, because you can get into any parking space, whereas with his you may not be able to fit into the spaces and won't be able to park easily
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
I think when you move back you will think the parking spaces are so tiny, they are compared to the US anyway. If you have a large vehicle and want to keep it nice you will find yourself parking well away from the stores etc to stop it getting bashed by other car doors. My husband has a big car (estate car) and I have a smaller one, we take my car to the gym, to the supermarket, for a hospital visit etc, because you can get into any parking space, whereas with his you may not be able to fit into the spaces and won't be able to park easily
Well, my parents took it upon themselves to buy me a little car. I drove a Camaro in the US, so when I say it is little it is tiny..its a Suzuki Wagon R, its basically a loaf of bread on wheels, but I am so glad its little coz the parking spaces and roads here are tiny too. It only has 39 thousand miles on it, and is 10 yrs old. They didnt realize till after they bought it that the road tax on it is 200 pounds a year. Some of the newer cars are only 20 pounds a year. I cant complain as it was very sweet of them to buy it for me. it seems to me that Peugots, and Ford Fiestas are very popular here, and some European cars that I have never heard of.
Jackie..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.