Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Wikiposts

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

From today's Guardian newspaper.

Something to think about:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...rol-prices-lpg
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well I couldn't get the road tax at the Post Office as I have to wait for the insurance company to send me out the policy in 7 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so angry yesterday as I wasn't told this when I took out the policy with the young guy on the phone, he told me I could get the road tax with just my policy number.

I came back and complained to the Customer Service department who were shocked I had been so misinformed, I asked could they email me something, no they don't even email in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She went and spoke to the supervisor, they will send me out a manual policy on Monday and I should receive it on Tuesday, so no car driving for me until then.
Sorry they messed you around at DirectLIne. I was lucky and the dealer arranged the road tax and I just picked it up and drove.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Sorry they messed you around at DirectLIne. I was lucky and the dealer arranged the road tax and I just picked it up and drove.
No worries David, I could have cancelled it and gone with another company but I don't know the system here, they may all be the same, plus Directline was the cheapest LOL!!

Fingers crossed, I am waiting for the postman, he should be here in about an hour then I will head off the post office AGAIN!!!

All going well I should be able to drive today, so clear the streets LOL!!! I am going to start with a very easy run to my other sister's then build it up from there.

Yesterday my brother took me to Manchester with his Satnav that he only got that morning, it is a Satnav Mia for £60 and I am thinking of getting one, of course it is not a top of the range Tom Tom but still pretty good I think, unless anybody knows of a better one in the lesser price range?

I think it's OK to post this here as it is still on the topic of cars.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday my brother took me to Manchester with his Satnav that he only got that morning, it is a Satnav Mia for £60 and I am thinking of getting one, of course it is not a top of the range Tom Tom but still pretty good I think, unless anybody knows of a better one in the lesser price range?

)
I've had a Tom Tom for a few years and only use it occasionally. Sometimes I want to throw it as far as I can because the directions can be so far off. This only happens 50% of the time. I have to check a map to confirm what it tells me. Don't get me going on the voice directions. My DW makes me shut the voice down.
I guess you may have heard stories like the tourists from Europe who were following the nav. instructions in the Grand Canyon and the roads got narrower and narrower and then dirt roads, fortunately they stopped before driving off a cliff. Maybe they asked for the quickest route?? Anyway they had to get someone to bring some fuel out to them because they had run out. The nav. companies now include a warning 'don't rely on these directions'
Cheers
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought:

There must be a critical mass point at which the government starts to 'lose' tax revenue with the rise of LPG use at such a rate that they just whack the tax on to LPG?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Want to look at cars? Try this web. You can even go out for a test drive.

http://bccars.dyndns.org/view/view.shtml
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
My first thought:

There must be a critical mass point at which the government starts to 'lose' tax revenue with the rise of LPG use at such a rate that they just whack the tax on to LPG?
That'[s what I was wondering. It would be good if they could find a way to increase the mileage difference. 20% is Ok but not great. Diesel gets about 25% more than petrol... I was looking at some reviews of vehicles and they were recommending the diesel version.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

A Linda, how about this one and its a Nissan.
So many good cars, so little time.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/niss...let-41271.html
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:34 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My Stepdad bought and imported my old expedition and got it converted by a bunch of cowboys, he's had no end of problems as the computer keeps thinking the gas/petrol cap has been left loose so he gets an engine management light on all the time - I think he may have taken out the bulb by now He's had the vehicle for 4 years or so now.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

A Linda, how about this one and its a Nissan.
So many good cars, so little time.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/niss...let-41271.html
That's really different for Nissan. Must be the new Juke. It reminds me of Noddy's car.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

OK the insurance policy arrived FINALLY!!!

BUT I just found out it is an offence to drive without road tax, so I have to walk to the post office to get the road tax disc, walk back, stick it on the car and WHOA - I am good to go!!!!

What a palaver!!!

(Thought I would post this on the car/vehicle thread for over 50's and
60's )
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

OK the insurance policy arrived FINALLY!!!

BUT I just found out it is an offence to drive without road tax, so I have to walk to the post office to get the road tax disc, walk back, stick it on the car and WHOA - I am good to go!!!!

What a palaver!!!

(Thought I would post this on the car/vehicle thread for over 50's and
60's )
Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

If you like Britain and cars be sure and go for a ride by using this site.

http://www.bccars.co.uk/framebarrie1.htm
Old May 18th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda,

This could be your wheels when you arrive.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/niss...ope-47579.html
Old May 18th 2011, 2:26 pm
a72
Just Joined

a72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Linda,

This could be your wheels when you arrive.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/niss...ope-47579.html
For that kind of money you would be better off with the BMW 5 series, i.e. The entry diesel engine - will have a great resale and perform as well if not better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.