Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Wikiposts

Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi all,
I am starting this thread as we began some discussion in the MBTTUK Part ll and it is already a ver long thread !

HighSpeedGrandma and HighTide have just bought cars and I am wondering what type of vehicle I would like.

Here is my original post:
Hi Cheers and anyone else who would like to give me some car advice:
I certainly do not want to be running 2 vehicles in the UK.
I was talking to the owner of the local garage today and he said I should take a look at the Nissan Skyline. (I am a big Nissan fan.) Not available here but made for the European market. I checked online and yes, I would definitely like that but not very useful if I end up gardening there and probably not good on ice and snow either. It's a dilemma because I want a car that is sporty and fun with great handling but also practical and economical to run and able to be used for gardening (though the gardening is perhaps just a maybe).
I do not like squared-off designs. I like something smooth and sleek, low maintenance, good acceleration and good mileage. I think perhaps what I am looking for doesn't exist but any ideas?

and Cheers reply:
I will have to Google that Skyline.
You mentioned gardening and vehicles and made me think of the British Mystery series Rosemary and Thyme but they use a square Land Rover so thats out.
You like Nissan and they are getting good press in the US latterly and I was reading about their new battery powered car that the auto journalists really were impressed with. My daughter has Nissan Odyssey van which is about 4 years old and she has put about 100,000 miles on it.
I would have to think about your needs based on what you mentioned.
For me I'm all over the place with regards to transportation. There is the bus and train but that would get old for my DW even though she has happy memories of train travel.
As for my car research?? I was talking to a neighbor who is about eighty four and lives in a very expensive home (that went down from 1 million to ???) and he has lots of toys. Motorhome, 2 trailers, pickup, SUV and a small tractor and lastly he has a New Beetle which is very proud of. He bought it used and it has over 100,000 miles on it put on by the previous owner. He bought just a couple of months ago. Anyhow his enthusiasm for the thing rubbed on to me so I have been looking at the ads in the US and the UK to see what a used one would sell for. Down side they have very little trunk space.
OK the car I have liked in the UK is the British version of the new Honda Civic diesel which is really classy when compared to the US version. I have also toyed around with buying a 10 year old BMW but even though they are cheap to buy they get you over there on the expensive high end auto insurance.
Maybe I saw your car on the computer last night. It was a Jaguar XF? that was well taken care of by a woman owner that had owned it since new. The plus for you is they are four wheel drive. I think it was 10 years old.
More later.

Take a look at MBTTUK Part ll page 338 for more discussion then feel free to join in and add your comments or questions .

Linda
I spoke to an AA patrolman on a flight over to the UK and he seemed to think that if it were not for Renaults, Fiats, and Alfas, he would be out of a job.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:56 am
Just Joined

handyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Which car/vehicle to buy in the UK?

Originally Posted by johnh009
I spoke to an AA patrolman on a flight over to the UK and he seemed to think that if it were not for Renaults, Fiats, and Alfas, he would be out of a job.
Fiat = Fix It Again Tony!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emiric
What about a Van????????
A T5 Volkswagon Transporter
Perfect for everything!
Don't take this personally but don't like vans, never have, unless of course it's a camper van that I can travel around in temporarily until I find out where I want to live. Thta would be fun for a gypsy like me.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Heard the same thing about those funky old Citroens. The local mechanic told me I would have rebuilt the Citroen twice in the life of my car I have now.

So does anyone know what the UK equivalent of a Nissan 240SX is? The Skyline is a bit too much of a muscle car for me.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:27 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
I think when you move back you will think the parking spaces are so tiny, they are compared to the US anyway. If you have a large vehicle and want to keep it nice you will find yourself parking well away from the stores etc to stop it getting bashed by other car doors. My husband has a big car (estate car) and I have a smaller one, we take my car to the gym, to the supermarket, for a hospital visit etc, because you can get into any parking space, whereas with his you may not be able to fit into the spaces and won't be able to park easily
While I agree with everything you have just said and I personally prefer smaller cars, (just love my Spitfire here in the summer months), it didn't stop my Stepdad buying and imoprting my old Expedition 3 years ago, he has mentioned wanting a newer Expedition max - the one that took over from the Excursion

@ Bandrui, is the 240sx not the Sylvia in the UK?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
While I agree with everything you have just said and I personally prefer smaller cars, (just love my Spitfire here in the summer months), it didn't stop my Stepdad buying and imoprting my old Expedition 3 years ago, he has mentioned wanting a newer Expedition max - the one that took over from the Excursion

@ Bandrui, is the 240sx not the Sylvia in the UK?
It's somewhat similar... comes as the 200sx and 180sx but it doesn't have the folding headlights and body style is a little different. I think you are right in that it will probably be the closest. Do like my folding headlights though .
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:40 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's somewhat similar... comes as the 200sx and 180sx but it doesn't have the folding headlights and body style is a little different. I think you are right in that it will probably be the closest. Do like my folding headlights though .
Pah, just something to go wrong (I like them too) Two years ago for my birthday my gorgeous husband bought me some (what I call) eyelashes for my spitfire - little chrome shades that go above the headlamp, I think it finishes the car off
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pah, just something to go wrong (I like them too) Two years ago for my birthday my gorgeous husband bought me some (what I call) eyelashes for my spitfire - little chrome shades that go above the headlamp, I think it finishes the car off
Well they have never gone wrong in since I've had the car in "95 . In the case of my car it's the whole headlamp that folds down like blinking eyes. That Spitfire must be a ton of fun!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Well, my parents took it upon themselves to buy me a little car. I drove a Camaro in the US, so when I say it is little it is tiny..its a Suzuki Wagon R, its basically a loaf of bread on wheels, but I am so glad its little coz the parking spaces and roads here are tiny too. It only has 39 thousand miles on it, and is 10 yrs old. They didnt realize till after they bought it that the road tax on it is 200 pounds a year. Some of the newer cars are only 20 pounds a year. I cant complain as it was very sweet of them to buy it for me. it seems to me that Peugots, and Ford Fiestas are very popular here, and some European cars that I have never heard of.
Jackie..
Hi Jackie

I hear you!! I am in the process of buying an old banger as it's all I can afford, but man the road tax and insurance!!!! I can see this is to help do away with carbon emissions, but they should think about the poor people that can't afford new cars.

Looking at a Vauxhall Vectra today.

You are right about the European cars, I recently looked at a SEAT, I thought it was a typing error.

I pronounced it as SEET when it should be SEE AT.

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 13th 2011 at 9:57 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Jackie

I hear you!! I am in the process of buying an old banger as it's all I can afford, but man the road tax and insurance!!!! I can see this is to help do away with carbon emissions, but they should think about the poor people that can't afford new cars.

Looking at a Vauxhall Vectra today.

You are right about the European cars, I recently looked at a SEAT, I thought it was a typing error.

I pronounced it as SEET when it should be SEE AT.
That was a real LOL

I need a primer on Road tax and how the MOT works . I've forgotten. Do cars have to be tested annually?

Oh, and a lot of older vehicles have emission control mechanisms so they are probably trying to put $$ in to the coffers of new car makers.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:34 am

Well they have never gone wrong in since I've had the car in "95 . In the case of my car it's the whole headlamp that folds down like blinking eyes. That Spitfire must be a ton of fun!
The Spit can be a little scary when your surrounded by the huge trucks here, you just have to hope people see you I don't tend to go on the highway with it, bless the thing, not got much power there But for nipping round town it's fab and super cheap on fuel too I never thought I'd have one here as they are just so expensive but we found a deal. I'd always wanted a yellow or a blue one, I had a yellow one in the UK and I got my blue one here! OH cannot understand why I like them, he prefers big ole' wallowy things.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

The Spit can be a little scary when your surrounded by the huge trucks here, you just have to hope people see you I don't tend to go on the highway with it, bless the thing, not got much power there But for nipping round town it's fab and super cheap on fuel too I never thought I'd have one here as they are just so expensive but we found a deal. I'd always wanted a yellow or a blue one, I had a yellow one in the UK and I got my blue one here! OH cannot understand why I like them, he prefers big ole' wallowy things.
One thing I love about my 240SX is that it's 4-cylinder, great on gas but with heaps of power, good for zipping around town and parking, but in the zone on the highway. I researched before I bought it... one of the lowest maintenance cars on the market and most reliable. Best car I have ever had. (I should be getting $ from Nissan ).
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just posted on the over 50's thread, I picked up my old banger about 10 minutes ago, going to cost me for insurance and road tax, but that's what happens if you don't have the money for newer cars, so get saving if you can.

Caveat emptor
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just posted on the over 50's thread, I picked up my old banger about 10 minutes ago, going to cost me for insurance and road tax, but that's what happens if you don't have the money for newer cars, so get saving if you can.

Caveat emptor
So you're mobile . Did you manage to get a letter from your insurance company for the No Claims Discount?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

So you're mobile . Did you manage to get a letter from your insurance company for the No Claims Discount?
Yes I did thanks Linda and it helped with Direct Line, policy is about £440.00 which is reckoned to be quite reasonable by some here!!!

I am off now to get my road tax at the Post Office , talk about a steep learning curve!!!!

Barb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.