Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can't decide what to do????

Can't decide what to do????

Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:54 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all
Default Re: Can't decide what to do????

If you are in a position to get a passport/citizenship I would take it even if you are determined to move back to the UK.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
My only experience of Kiwis is my friends OH who now lives here in Perth. He's got British Citizenship and when he is eligable for Oz, he is going to get it and drop the Kiwi one as you can only have two and he wouldn't want to lose the British one!

Where on earth did he hear rubbish like that? It's totally wrong. There is no rule saying "you can only have two"

He does not have to renounce either his British or New Zealand citizenship to become an Australian citizen.

There are plenty of triple British/NZ/Australian citizens out there.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just bear in mind that if your children return later on and you want to join them, you may not be able to do so. Parent visas are expensive and have other requirements too (balance of family, health criteria etc).

And even if you don't want to move to Australia to join them, you may find your ability to spend extended vacations in Australia is limited if you are not a citizen.

Also, if you plan having more children born in the UK later on, they will not be eligible for Australian citizenship if you don't take out citizenship yourselves. It is a very bad idea to have siblings with different nationality rights - can cause all kinds of problems.

You appear to be very confident about your future plans, despite the fact that circumstances and intentions can change greatly.

Appreciate what you are saying but we are both 45yrs old and really tried to make Oz work twice at great cost, we know where we want to be and where we are better off and our hearts lie in the uk, we made a decision that suits us and will put the oz adventure to bed now, the novelty wore off. i am doing well already after just 7 weeks back in uk, as soon as my family join me all effort will be put into appreciating this country.
my eldest is staying in perth until he finishes his apprenticeship which is great, he is 20yrs old and with his quals he can work in either country of his choice, thein lies one of the probs i faced I was too old when we left for Oz. . i will say again glad we tried it glad we back and will appreciate what we have in uk
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:13 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi all,

Just wanted to write down how we are feeling at the mo and see if anyone else is the same. We have been in Perth since May 05 and are now thinking of maybe renting the house out here and going home for 6/12 mths to see if we want to live there again. That is my idea to safeguard our money/future and not be ping pongs with no money!

Mark has been homesick since we got here and really missed his mates/pub/football. Typical bloke really! He has got better and better in the last few months but in November he hurt his wrist at work and hasn't been able to work which has been his downfall. He keeps talking about wasting time here because he knows he doesn't want to live here forever and says we are just prolonging the inevitable.

I absolutely loved it when we got here, Mark's sister lives here and introduced us to a few people. I got a bit disillusioned when after a few months I realised we weren't really being included, obviously these people already had a life here and friends here and we would have been better off trying to get our own friends. I then got pregnant in Feb this year and suddenly started feeling homesick. I think it was a mixture of hormones and also the fact that some friends moved here in Nov last year and went home in April this year. They didn't like it from the start, despite doing a 3 week reccie and taking nearly 4 years to get their visa due to having a baby mid way through. I had an answer for all their negativity about Perth, but I think now that maybe their feelings for the place had some effect on me. I found myself worrying about the children growing up and having no job opportunities, or them going to the UK to travel and us ending up here on our own without the funds to return. I also started seeing the arguements against coming here in the first place like isolation/no family/no culture etc. in a different light. I had the baby and was fine. Got sad because my Mum came over for 3 weeks and my brother and new wife came here as part of their honeymoon. Not great timing as the baby was a week old and I was getting no sleep/crying/trying to breastfeed. I think they thought we would all be sitting outside drinking massive amounts of wine and having a laugh every night like we used to!

Anyway, the bottom line is, we don't really know what to do. I miss the things I didn't think I would like the buildings, the town, the river (we lived in Maidenhead in Berkshire), friends and family obviously and just familiarity I think. Mark just says it's boring here, which I used to argue with and talk about taking kids to beach/park etc. but now I can't be arsed to argue because I'm bored with it too! I could quite happily never have a barby again and have gone to the beach with our 3 year old and the baby once (never again until he can walk, it's just no fun). I realised last night that I haven't been out for a drink since New Year's Eve last year, how sad is that??? I know I was pregnant for most of the year, but still! The main problem is that we still know why left the UK but don't know if we want to live here, so our dilemma is that we feel in limbo. I am totally realistic about the UK and yet I hanker after walking out of the house into the town and seeing people I know. The trouble is, I'm not sure that after a couple of months back in the UK we won't want to return here. This scares me because I know we're not happy here, so what does all this mean!!!

Somebody help me! I suppose we should just think of it all as an experience and rent the house and go home for a bit and re-evalute the situation. This is what I think is a sensible option, but the thought of the organisation involved to move again fills me with dread.

Jo
Just a quick note to say that it can take years to build up friendships, no matter where you live. It sounds like what you are missing is having people around you that love and support you, rather than the place of Perth. English people who have lived in Perth for years that I know, and really enjoy it, belong to clubs such as golf, yachting etc and have made large circles of friends... but you do have to put a lot of effort in. People can pick up negative vibes as well, are you sure that is not what you are projecting? If you have a new born, why not join a new mothers club, even if you only click with one person, they can introduce you to their friends and so on. There are BE meets and other websites that organise get togethers... but you have to have the right attitude and not give up if the first few times don't work out. Personally, i would give it two more years, IMHO children growing up in Australia have so much better lives, the sunshine means they can play outside etc. But if you are still unhappy, then reconsider. Do not go back for a holiday in the meantime, just work on giving it your best shot.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:26 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rascal
How long have you got?
Weather: crap mostly.
housing standards: Crap
Education: Crap and way behind UK
Roads: Crap, no proper road network to anywhere
Employment: Totally crap, longer hours than UK, less holiday entitlement
Wages: Crap
Taxes: High
Attitude: Mostly insecure and insular and nowhere is as good as NZ!
Cost if Living: High
Choices: few
Cost of Power Bills: High, way too high, learn to be cold indoors or go outside for a warm
Driving standards: Totally shite, boy racers, etc
Now thats just for starters, I have to go shopping to the local supermarket, has about the same choice as the Uk Kwik Save but double the price. There's no "buy one get one free here, its more like buy one pay price of two" Lol
Valitus, I am now convinced you are a Kiwi!
Why do people think the UK education system is so great? All you ever get in this forum is over-generalised statements without any real hard proof to back up these claims. The UK newspapers are full of articles about the dire educations system and that heaps of kids are not meeting literacy and numeracy targets. These articles are not just in the Daily Mail either. I teach in schools in the Uk that are falling apart, and have rude, lazy kids and demoralised teachers. Please stop sprouting this nonsense.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Why do people think the UK education system is so great? All you ever get in this forum is over-generalised statements without any real hard proof to back up these claims. The UK newspapers are full of articles about the dire educations system and that heaps of kids are not meeting literacy and numeracy targets. These articles are not just in the Daily Mail either. I teach in schools in the Uk that are falling apart, and have rude, lazy kids and demoralised teachers. Please stop sprouting this nonsense.
I think you generalise a little too much also. London is not England and there are a lot of excellent schools in England with excellent standards of teaching.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I teach in schools in the Uk that are falling apart, and have rude, lazy kids and demoralised teachers. Please stop sprouting this nonsense.
From my own kids experience of schools in the UK and Oz, the UK schools were in far better physical condition. My youngest had just started at a $40million brand new school in the UK.

As for rude, lazy kids... doesn't every generation think the kids were better behaved when they were young?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:26 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Really hope you do not teach English...
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

I have to differ with your comments regarding the UK education system. We are Aussies with 3 English born children who all attended an excellent govt (albeit Catholic) school in Surrey. The school had great facilities, the teaching was excellent and to think it cost us less than £50 pa.

We have now returned to Melb and the two youngest are attending what Melburnians think is a good school. Personally I think it is rubbish and it is costing us $2500 pa!

I believe there are good and bad schools everywhere and for anyone to slate either system is incorrect.

Interestingly at our school in Surrey the two teachers in Year 6 were a Kiwi and a Sth African and both were excellent!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
From my own kids experience of schools in the UK and Oz, the UK schools were in far better physical condition. My youngest had just started at a $40million brand new school in the UK.
That's great, but sadly not typical. On the plus side, there does seem to be a wave of new contruction for schools, which is great, but unfortunately there are still many schools with old buildings that lack facilities and cannot seat large classes. I am sure that schools like this exist in all countries, but it would be wrong to say that all, or even most, UK schools are great.
The policy of inclusion has been a disaster - to the point where the govt is now talking about throwing money at bright kids as they have been failed so badly.

From a teaching point of view, I have heard very positive things about Australian schools - obviously all schools are individual, but the overall impression seems to be that behaviour is less of an issue there than in the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:40 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
That's great, but sadly not typical. On the plus side, there does seem to be a wave of new contruction for schools, which is great, but unfortunately there are still many schools with old buildings that lack facilities and cannot seat large classes. I am sure that schools like this exist in all countries, but it would be wrong to say that all, or even most, UK schools are great.
The policy of inclusion has been a disaster - to the point where the govt is now talking about throwing money at bright kids as they have been failed so badly.

From a teaching point of view, I have heard very positive things about Australian schools - obviously all schools are individual, but the overall impression seems to be that behaviour is less of an issue there than in the UK.
I can only comment on the schools my own kids have attended and the infrastructure of the UK schools knocked spots off the ones they now attended in Oz, not just in the buildings themselves, but in the equipments levels as well.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here, i can only comment on the schools my kids attend, but compared to the level of education they had in the UK, the OZ system sucks.!!!!
Sorry if that dissapoints anyone, but even the teachers here from England say the same thing.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Same here, i can only comment on the schools my kids attend, but compared to the level of education they had in the UK, the OZ system sucks.!!!!
Sorry if that dissapoints anyone, but even the teachers here from England say the same thing.

My partner and son return end of Jan and it seems my son may have to be back classed as the kids are more advanced here in the uk and also started school a year earlier. Bright kids will always get on. since being back I have seen a few from my school who lafet with no quals and they all own several properties.