Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can't decide what to do????

Can't decide what to do????

Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't decide what to do????

Originally Posted by valitus
OK Rascal here's you chance.

What exactly is wrong with living in NZ? and i dont mean crap sausages and no choice supermarkets cause there are plenty of them in the UK aswell
How long have you got?
Weather: crap mostly.
housing standards: Crap
Education: Crap and way behind UK
Roads: Crap, no proper road network to anywhere
Employment: Totally crap, longer hours than UK, less holiday entitlement
Wages: Crap
Taxes: High
Attitude: Mostly insecure and insular and nowhere is as good as NZ!
Cost if Living: High
Choices: few
Cost of Power Bills: High, way too high, learn to be cold indoors or go outside for a warm
Driving standards: Totally shite, boy racers, etc
Now thats just for starters, I have to go shopping to the local supermarket, has about the same choice as the Uk Kwik Save but double the price. There's no "buy one get one free here, its more like buy one pay price of two" Lol
Valitus, I am now convinced you are a Kiwi!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

valitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rascal
How long have you got?
Weather: crap mostly.
housing standards: Crap
Education: Crap and way behind UK
Roads: Crap, no proper road network to anywhere
Employment: Totally crap, longer hours than UK, less holiday entitlement
Wages: Crap
Taxes: High
Attitude: Mostly insecure and insular and nowhere is as good as NZ!
Cost if Living: High
Choices: few
Cost of Power Bills: High, way too high, learn to be cold indoors or go outside for a warm
Driving standards: Totally shite, boy racers, etc
Now thats just for starters, I have to go shopping to the local supermarket, has about the same choice as the Uk Kwik Save but double the price. There's no "buy one get one free here, its more like buy one pay price of two" Lol
Valitus, I am now convinced you are a Kiwi!
Sounds good to me :scared:

So when are you leaving?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

And NZ is soooooo wonderful, only 4 million people want/chose to live there. The NZIS spend thousands on promoting NZ as a 'wonderful lifestyle', come live here (just in case you say that NZIS make it hard to let just anyone in!)
I think you've missed the point. One of the very best things about NZ is that only 4M people live here. If it had 60M, it wouldn't be much better than the UK.

Crap houses - buy a better one
Drivers - not much worse than UK and a whole lot better than a lot of countries
Weather - sh1te compared to where? Certainly better than the UK. Not as good as Oz, especially if you enjoy droughts and forest fires.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I think you've missed the point. One of the very best things about NZ is that only 4M people live here. If it had 60M, it wouldn't be much better than the UK.

Weather - sh1te compared to where? Certainly better than the UK. Not as good as Oz, especially if you enjoy droughts and forest fires.
Can't you just accept that one man's meat is another man's poison? Neither point of view is wrong - it's just that people want different things out of life.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to find the article in the west australian which asked why 120,00 migrants entered oz or wa and 62000 left again.

I have never stated i hate oz, i heard it was the 'lucky country. the best place in the world etc etc. so because i could try it for myself and my family and i looked in the papers for anything that ran the uk down to justify our move we gave up our very comfortable lives I a plumber gasfitter, to see if we could have an even better lifestyle in Perth. Perth very beautiful and if forced to we would live there ok, BUT we have a choice and for us we never had a better lifestyle, we were far better off in the uk, ie wages opportunities, close to europe sea and countryside. So having seen and experienced it ourselves we now know where we personally will be better off and returned.

For us after several months of BBQs and beaches the novelty just wore off and the place was quite boring, i wouldnt say i hate perth though. ok for a holiday but we dont need to do Oz anymore

Same as someone recommending anything really. whats suits them doesnt suit everyone
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

valitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud of

Does have a point and if the education system was that bad he can spell sh1te properly
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Can't you just accept that one man's meat is another man's poison? Neither point of view is wrong - it's just that people want different things out of life.
Hey, I'm not the one with derogatory comments about someone else's country as part of my signature block
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

They are just my observations of living in NZ, same way as you are entitled to put some about Uk or your beloved NZ.
BTW did you leave NZ to earn decent money so you could return wealthy enough to build/buy a proper house with CH?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valitus
You put words in my mouth, i never said that the UK was a poor place to live.

But--------

Council tax.....Bad idea as over 25% of this just goes to pay Council workers etc pensions, rising every year with more council workers and living longer.
Totally unsustainable and a real problem that can only be sorted by no pensions.

High Tax rate to pay for a real bad system of goverment.

Near Future probs if/when the SNP gets in and divides the UK.

Too many people per size of country.

You should know if you live there

I always ruefully smile when I see people complaining bitterly about their council tax. Over here in New Jersey I have a very modest 3 bedroomed house - no bigger than the average house in England. We live about 18 miles west of Manhatten and the land our house is situated on is worth more than the actual house. Our housing tax has gone up by at least US$1000 *per year* and last year was $13,000...

This week our local council is sending out postcards informing residents that they have just done a re-assessment (as house values have increased since they last did one in 2001). A loose rule of thumb is that if the reassessment has increased by 38% your taxes will go up, and if less than 38% they will go down. A couple of residents in our town have said that theirs has gone up by 66% and another by 50%.

It's just expected that you will find the money in your pockets to pay for it; no discounts for single people/elderly or students whatsoever.

Need I mention the high cost of healthcare over here in the US as well? And that it costs around $100,000 for a student to take a first degree? (It takes four years in the USA). And that most people only get 2 weeks annual leave, three weeks if they're lucky or have worked for the company for at least five years.. (New Jersey is also the most populated State in the US....it's like living in Greater London).

I too want to leave the US...preferably London but happy to go somewhere else just for a few years.....husband wants to stay here until our son goes through college though.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:10 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I always ruefully smile when I see people complaining bitterly about their council tax. Over here in New Jersey I have a very modest 3 bedroomed house - no bigger than the average house in England. We live about 18 miles west of Manhatten and the land our house is situated on is worth more than the actual house. Our housing tax has gone up by at least US$1000 *per year* and last year was $13,000...

This week our local council is sending out postcards informing residents that they have just done a re-assessment (as house values have increased since they last did one in 2001). A loose rule of thumb is that if the reassessment has increased by 38% your taxes will go up, and if less than 38% they will go down. A couple of residents in our town have said that theirs has gone up by 66% and another by 50%.

It's just expected that you will find the money in your pockets to pay for it; no discounts for single people/elderly or students whatsoever.

Need I mention the high cost of healthcare over here in the US as well? And that it costs around $100,000 for a student to take a first degree? (It takes four years in the USA). And that most people only get 2 weeks annual leave, three weeks if they're lucky or have worked for the company for at least five years.. (New Jersey is also the most populated State in the US....it's like living in Greater London).

I too want to leave the US...preferably London but happy to go somewhere else just for a few years.....husband wants to stay here until our son goes through college though.
Sorry to hear you are stuck in the US for a while longer Englishmum- I had been wondering what your situation as you seem so 'english' but didn't want to stalk your posts.

I wonder how many of the people who are on BE or have enrolled are hoping to move back or have already moved back. I only joined this site because I knew that I wanted to go back to england but was scared to do so. I have made some good friends on here and since they have all moved back to blighty they kind off drop off.. they are having fun so i can't blame them

All this nonsense on this thread about people moving away from england and never returning. Just looking at how many unhappy sods are in OZ for example makes me think otherwise.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

They are just my observations of living in NZ, same way as you are entitled to put some about Uk or your beloved NZ.
BTW did you leave NZ to earn decent money so you could return wealthy enough to build/buy a proper house with CH?
No, I just left for an OE which went on longer (22yrs) than planned (5-10). I admit I didn't compare salaries before making the move. My house here doesn't have CH as such, but we did install some heat pumps, which cost about 1.2% of the cost of the house and are fantastic. Quite easy to budget for if you're buying a place. I've always preferred to fix a problem than whinge about it, but each to his own.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

No, I just left for an OE which went on longer (22yrs) than planned (5-10). I admit I didn't compare salaries before making the move. My house here doesn't have CH as such, but we did install some heat pumps, which cost about 1.2% of the cost of the house and are fantastic. Quite easy to budget for if you're buying a place. I've always preferred to fix a problem than whinge about it, but each to his own.
Oh I quite agree with you there. I too would rather fix the problem rather than whinge about it, but considering I am moving out of NZ in January 07, I consider my plight to have been well and truly fixed.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:35 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

New Zealand was so great you decided to leave for 22 years....
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thunderbird65
we could have applied in may 07 for c,ship, but at our age why bother, we need to get set up in uk again and really we are not going to go back again to oz once we are set up, If our kids want to return then thats up to them.
Just bear in mind that if your children return later on and you want to join them, you may not be able to do so. Parent visas are expensive and have other requirements too (balance of family, health criteria etc).

And even if you don't want to move to Australia to join them, you may find your ability to spend extended vacations in Australia is limited if you are not a citizen.

Also, if you plan having more children born in the UK later on, they will not be eligible for Australian citizenship if you don't take out citizenship yourselves. It is a very bad idea to have siblings with different nationality rights - can cause all kinds of problems.

You appear to be very confident about your future plans, despite the fact that circumstances and intentions can change greatly.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure JAJ will come out sometime to tell you. I only know that NZ is around 6-10 months ota.
Australia is quicker in most cases:

- usually applications are approved within 3 months; and
- usually the wait for a ceremony is no more than 3 months.

For most people it takes 3-6 months from application to swearing in. However you can only decide to move back after being sworn in as a citizen. If they find out you are seriously planning to leave before then your application can be refused. So be careful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.