Reload this Page >

Can't decide what to do????

Can't decide what to do????

Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

raistlin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can't decide what to do????

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you read that post back to yourself you will realise you have answered your own question. Hopefully you will have been on the receiving end of some nice house price increases here in Perth. Get the house sold and go home, it is clearly what you both want and you know it. You just have to have the balls now to make the final decision.

Good luck for the future.

Yep, I would second that. Was reading through the clougherty posts, thinkng 'they've answered their own question' - then get to this post.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies it's been really good to read other people's experiences. The other thing that comes into the equation is the fact that our baby is an Aussie (got both passports though already) and we won't be up for citizenship until June as Mark has been out of the country twice since we arrived. I do feel deep down that we should wait and get it, especially as the little one already has it, but OH just thinks that he would never want to come back here so isn't bothered about it. He's on about going back in Feb. I think I'm just doing damage limitation, that's why I was thinking about renting the house and storing the stuff and waiting until we get the citizenship.

Has anyone rented their house out here and then sold it from the UK?

Jo
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:07 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Perhaps the biggest thing for me, and maybe you too, will be going home and not waking up with that awful knot in your stomach every day, week in, week out.
Thats the worse feeling. I had it everyday, not quite as bad though when we started to plan our return.

Its hard to explain isnt it, to someone whos not had that feeling but for me I know it would have never left me if I'd stayed.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:39 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies it's been really good to read other people's experiences. The other thing that comes into the equation is the fact that our baby is an Aussie (got both passports though already) and we won't be up for citizenship until June as Mark has been out of the country twice since we arrived. I do feel deep down that we should wait and get it, especially as the little one already has it, but OH just thinks that he would never want to come back here so isn't bothered about it. He's on about going back in Feb. I think I'm just doing damage limitation, that's why I was thinking about renting the house and storing the stuff and waiting until we get the citizenship.

Has anyone rented their house out here and then sold it from the UK?

Jo

My mom and dad were £10 poms and my brother was born in Australia. My mom got homesick and they came back to UK without getting citizenship which they also thought they would never need. How wrong they were, many years later it was their biggest regret. If you only have until June to hold out why not just arrange the whole move back after you have citizenship. Then you have a choice, not regrets.

All the best
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she means they can only apply in June, the processing of course will take a lot longer after that. In NZ its up to 12 months after application.
Suppose sometimes you just know if you are ever likely to return or not.
Its tough this emigrating lark innit?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 2:36 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Maybe she means they can only apply in June, the processing of course will take a lot longer after that. In NZ its up to 12 months after application.

What I'm saying though is at the time my mom "thought she just knew" too, but she was wrong and regreted not getting citizenship bigtime.

Even if it was another 12 months it is a short amount of time to have the freedom of movement.

What if their child decides later on to go and live there ? Suddenly Australia may seem very appealing again when kids and grandkids are involved. It is difficult to get visas when you are old unless you are minted of course.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh can see your point. Suppose it depends on how long someone can 'hold on'.
We have been in limbo here in NZ last few years waiting for our eldest to become 18, go to uni, and get a p/t job etc so we can leave NZ.
Its been very, very, very hard.
Each day you wake up and think to yourself 'what the hell am I doing here?"
Each day becomes harder, not easier.
I know people who have been in the same boat as your mum though Sel and they too, regretted not waiting for citizenship.
Its just so bloody hard when you hate being in a place soooo much.
No easy solution is there?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, We are only eligable to apply in June but I don't think it takes too long after you've applied??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that please.

Jo
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi, We are only eligable to apply in June but I don't think it takes too long after you've applied??? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that please.

Jo
I am sure JAJ will come out sometime to tell you. I only know that NZ is around 6-10 months ota. Haven't applied, could have done last July 2005 if we wanted but didn't want to have a kiwi passport.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I am sure JAJ will come out sometime to tell you. I only know that NZ is around 6-10 months ota. Haven't applied, could have done last July 2005 if we wanted but didn't want to have a kiwi passport.

My only experience of Kiwis is my friends OH who now lives here in Perth. He's got British Citizenship and when he is eligable for Oz, he is going to get it and drop the Kiwi one as you can only have two and he wouldn't want to lose the British one! Shows you what he thinks of his home country doesn't it!!!

Jo
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

My only experience of Kiwis is my friends OH who now lives here in Perth. He's got British Citizenship and when he is eligable for Oz, he is going to get it and drop the Kiwi one as you can only have two and he wouldn't want to lose the British one! Shows you what he thinks of his home country doesn't it!!!

Jo
Mmm. and its no surprise that lots of kiwis go live in Oz, esp. Gold Coast.
Two of my Kiwi friends have just gone to live there.
PS Your friends OH has brains!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
It really is such a difficult situation.
Deciding what to do for the best is so hard.
My hubby loves it here and does not want to go back but I have been so unhappy and homesick that he has decided its not worth pulling the family apart and is going to sell the business in the new year and go home.
I think the business however will take a long time to sell I maybe wrong.
I am struggling to get my son back into his old school and have an appeal in with the Education Auth in the Uk and am awaiting news.
Missing my Mum who is so lonely and do not want to be away from her any longer,lifes too short and all that.
So the plan is to return.Lliving in limbo again its really hard as I cannot Make any firm plans.
Somedays I just don't know if I can stick it out any longer and hubby has said 'I have the option to go home and live with my Mum for a while.I know how hard this will be on my own with two young children and want to go back as family together.
So here I am sitting in no where land again.!
Making a real effort over Christmas to stay happy for the children and making the most of the environment that we live in.
It is beautiful here and I do have good days and then I start to think to myself do I really want to go home?.Could I make it work here?.
I also know that I belong back home and miss the old life that I had which was not bad at all really.
There are so many of us in this hopeless situation.
I think if you are not 100% sure of what you want then maybe hang on to the house in Perth for a bit and see how it goes once you are back.
We sold our house in the UK big regret.
We are only renting here but if I could afford to buy a holiday let or something similar I would .Then at least this would not all have been for nothing and I could keep my part of Australia and bring the children back in the 6 week holidays.
I sound confused I know.
I have to say I think at the end of the day it all boils down to money as usaual.
Good Luck with whatever you decide .

Goodness me Dreamaway we are in very similiar situations. I also want to go home and hubby loves it here we have bought a business too and need to keep it for at least year to try and increase the value we have also bought a house that needs some work , the new tiles as being laid downstairs as I type.

On our return home I am also going to struggle to get my boys into their old primary school and will have to rent in the village when we arrive. I also have to time the house sale and the business sale over here to complete around the same time so hubby isnt left here on his own. Tricky but hopefully can be done. All of this of course depends on getting the right price for both as we cant afford to go back without cash. Oh and the small matter of convincing my husband without ruining my marriage. So all I can hope for is to be back in england ths time next year.

Until then I am just going to try and enjoy it for what it is, a stage in my life and not the rest of my life.

Merry xmas
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
Probably not what you want to hear I'm afraid, but the waiting time for a citizenship interview is around 3.5 months in Perth at the moment. I think you can try to get a cancellation or travel somewhere else to do it (Perth is the only place in WA where you can do the interview, so it means going to another state capital), but that doesn't seem to be easy. Waiting times in Melbourne are still pretty long, so you'd be trying to get a cancellation there also. Once you've had your interview, you have to do the ceremony, which they say is usually within six weeks.

I kept hearing about people who applied and got the interview the following week, so was a bit surprised by this. The queue may be smaller in winter.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola411
Goodness me Dreamaway we are in very similiar situations. I also want to go home and hubby loves it here we have bought a business too and need to keep it for at least year to try and increase the value we have also bought a house that needs some work , the new tiles as being laid downstairs as I type.

On our return home I am also going to struggle to get my boys into their old primary school and will have to rent in the village when we arrive. I also have to time the house sale and the business sale over here to complete around the same time so hubby isnt left here on his own. Tricky but hopefully can be done. All of this of course depends on getting the right price for both as we cant afford to go back without cash. Oh and the small matter of convincing my husband without ruining my marriage. So all I can hope for is to be back in england ths time next year.

Until then I am just going to try and enjoy it for what it is, a stage in my life and not the rest of my life.

Merry xmas
Sounds like me you have a lot on your plate.
All the very best for the house sale and business sale hope it all comes right for you in the end.
Merry Christmas too.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Jo
We were interviewed at the local post office and it took no time at all very quick.just a few weeks. Our paper work was done in Cairns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.