Brits are a happy lot.

Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits are a happy lot.

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Same here. What I do remember was power cuts, rubbish piling up and having no pocket money for a few months. Reason for that? My dad had to go away for work and the Post Office was on strike. He had no way of sending money to my mum and the trip from London to Kirkcaldy was too expensive to do more than once a month. The 50p a week me and my brother got obviously made a difference.
Black and white telly, no car, bare floors because we couldn't afford carpet. Constant strikes. the 3 day week, etc. Do I look back and think I was deprived or something? Of course not. I was a kid / teenager growing up. I would go back to that in a flash. For my parents though, it must of been a horrible and stressful time.
Sounds like you lived next door to me Power cuts, and rubbish, it was awful. My sis and I were being raised by a single mom in a council house, and her hours were cut, she worked two jobs to keep us going, no benefits, child support that was a joke. We didn't even have a TV for about 3 or 4 years after ours broke. I was so out of the loop at school
I remember being a teen in the late 70's all my friends and I getting ready to finish high school (78) and all of us thinking that we'd be unemployed forever, and had no hope. It was very depressing.
Oh I got 50p a week too (from my Dad) and had to let my Mom have it quite often to help pay the milk man.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Just read about Fuel poverty. The proportion of homes in fuel poverty in England and Wales has risen from 18% to 24% in two years, estimates suggest. Nearly 5.7 million households are in fuel poverty - when more than 10% of their disposable income is spent on fuel.
Also, Falling incomes will mean the biggest drop for middle-income families in the U.K. since the 1970s, says a report from the Institute for Fiscal Studies. The IFS forecasts two years "dominated by a large decline" in incomes, pushing 600,000 more children into poverty, By 2013 there will be 3.1 million children in poverty in the UK, according to the IFS projections.
I think "fuel poverty" is a misleading term. It mainly is an index that reflects energy costs. There are people living in mansions who are in "fuel poverty", but I certainly wouldn't class them as poor. In the "old days" people would be in "food poverty" if you define it in similar terms - food prices are much lower these days (people spend a much smaller proportion of their income on food than they used to).

I think "mortgage poverty" is a more relevant index for some people.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:52 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just read about Fuel poverty. The proportion of homes in fuel poverty in England and Wales has risen from 18% to 24% in two years, estimates suggest. Nearly 5.7 million households are in fuel poverty - when more than 10% of their disposable income is spent on fuel.
Also, Falling incomes will mean the biggest drop for middle-income families in the U.K. since the 1970s, says a report from the Institute for Fiscal Studies. The IFS forecasts two years "dominated by a large decline" in incomes, pushing 600,000 more children into poverty, By 2013 there will be 3.1 million children in poverty in the UK, according to the IFS projections.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 10:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but 'fuel poverty' is a much better Daily Mail OMG the sky is falling type headline isn't it ?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think "fuel poverty" is a misleading term. It mainly is an index that reflects energy costs. There are people living in mansions who are in "fuel poverty", but I certainly wouldn't class them as poor. In the "old days" people would be in "food poverty" if you define it in similar terms - food prices are much lower these days (people spend a much smaller proportion of their income on food than they used to).

I think "mortgage poverty" is a more relevant index for some people.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Actually, 'Fuel Poverty' is a phrase used by the government and many other organisations dealing with fuel poverty in the U.K: 'The government's fuel poverty scheme is poorly publicised and pensioners are unsure whether they qualify for extra help, according to a pensioner group. Thousands of older people may be left in the cold this winter because the government's fuel poverty scheme is poorly publicised and too complicated, according to a leading pensioners' group.'--Guardian
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:06 am
Banned

Actually, 'Fuel Poverty' is a phrase used by the government and many other organisations dealing with fuel poverty in the U.K: 'The government's fuel poverty scheme is poorly publicised and pensioners are unsure whether they qualify for extra help, according to a pensioner group. Thousands of older people may be left in the cold this winter because the government's fuel poverty scheme is poorly publicised and too complicated, according to a leading pensioners' group.'--Guardian
Old Dec 19th 2011, 2:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that old people get help is a shock when you've spent as long as I have in America.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The fact that old people get help is a shock when you've spent as long as I have in America.
Yes, America in some respects ressembles a third world country, especially when it comes to medical treatment and social support for the less fortunate in its society.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Unsure if you get it? If you get an 'old age' pension it is paid to your account automatically. My mum didn't do anything to claim it, she just got £200 paid into her account. She does not qualify for pension credits or any other help.

She actually lent £100 of it to me 'cos I was skint. The people at work thought that hysterical! I was saying at work what should I get her for Xmas and a witty colleague replied 'How about a thick winter coat seeing as you've had her winter fuel allowance.'
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:58 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone should be cold in the winter, but as we were remembering the '70s, doesn't anyone remember when most people didn't have central heating, where the living room was kept warm and everyone squeezed into it, and where a hot water bottle or perhaps a dodgy electric blanket was all that warmed the beds? We put the next day's clothes under the eiderdown so they'd be warm in the morning, and then mostly dressed under the covers.

We all wore lots of layers and shivered as we went to the loo, then quick back to the living room where we argued about what to watch on telly. We all thought that was normal, and I don't remember stories of people dying of the cold.

Perhaps we need to bring back blankets. I'm shocked by how hard it is to find decent blankets here. A duvet's all very well -- but only if it hangs down a foot or more on sides and end -- but better over a well-tucked in sheet and blanket or two if it's really cold.

BTW, on the seventies, there's a reason we went to Canada in 1976!

Bev
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bevm
I don't think anyone should be cold in the winter, but as we were remembering the '70s, doesn't anyone remember when most people didn't have central heating, where the living room was kept warm and everyone squeezed into it, and where a hot water bottle or perhaps a dodgy electric blanket was all that warmed the beds? We put the next day's clothes under the eiderdown so they'd be warm in the morning, and then mostly dressed under the covers.

We all wore lots of layers and shivered as we went to the loo, then quick back to the living room where we argued about what to watch on telly. We all thought that was normal, and I don't remember stories of people dying of the cold.

Perhaps we need to bring back blankets. I'm shocked by how hard it is to find decent blankets here. A duvet's all very well -- but only if it hangs down a foot or more on sides and end -- but better over a well-tucked in sheet and blanket or two if it's really cold.

Bev
So true re: cold houses. Our house had storage heaters you had to actually sit on to get warm! And I went to bed with my electric blanket on one night and the bed caught fire!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 2:08 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My parents moved into a newly built house when I was a baby. It was very small but because it was new, it did have central heating and I don't remember being cold. But now, in her old age, my mum seems to view central heating as a luxury, and only heats a couple of rooms in the house. The rest are frigid! I always wear layers when I go to her house.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:39 am
Banned

Will you stop bringing facts into Returnees 'the sky is falling threads'

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Unsure if you get it? If you get an 'old age' pension it is paid to your account automatically. My mum didn't do anything to claim it, she just got £200 paid into her account. She does not qualify for pension credits or any other help.

She actually lent £100 of it to me 'cos I was skint. The people at work thought that hysterical! I was saying at work what should I get her for Xmas and a witty colleague replied 'How about a thick winter coat seeing as you've had her winter fuel allowance.'
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
Yes, I remember electric fires with bare elements, condensation and frost on the bedroom windows and being able to see your breath in the morning (and damp/mould on the wallpaper). Ah the good old days living in a council flat!

I'm all for providing additional help with winter heating costs for older adults who need it, but not indiscriminately - I think even the Queen is eligible for a winter heating allowance (mind you, she does have a lot of house to heat!)
Old Dec 20th 2011, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

I think many Britons are not happy now. Apart from rising prices, high divorce rates and the highest obesity levels in Europe, the future looks grim. I know that other countries are facing a grim future too, but this thread is discussing happiness in Britain. If you think it's bad now, I would brace yourself for a bleaker financial few years ahead, as many experts have predicted. It's a shame, but one needs to face reality. It's time to batton down the hatches and be thankful that you have enough money to pay for food and heating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.