Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Originally Posted by lionheart
Sure, of course I will string you along for a while before actually admitting I don't actually have any of these DVD's
Its the old B & W ones I'd like to see....especially Mr.Chips and The 39 steps..I like old RD.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:20 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Its the old B & W ones I'd like to see....especially Mr.Chips and The 39 steps..I like old RD.
Probably my favorite actor, still trying to find the Citadel and The Winslow Boy on DVD. Alec Guinness is a close second.......... apart from that Obi wan shite
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Probably my favorite actor, still trying to find the Citadel and The Winslow Boy on DVD. Alec Guinness is a close second.......... apart from that Obi wan shite
Bloody hell..The Winslow Boy..now you're bringing back memories...that was about a trial wasn't it?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:27 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Bloody hell..The Winslow Boy..now you're bringing back memories...that was about a trial wasn't it?

A boy accused of stealing a postal order, Donat was the lawyer
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:32 am
Banned

Forgot
The Browning Version.

not sure if I prefer the Finney or Redgrave adaptation??
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sure name them, as long as they are not copy protected.
These are for private viewing I presume, I would never break the law or anything like that.
Not too many, the more you pick the longer it will take me to get around to it.......... oh and some of them are UK format, do you have a region free player.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvd_decrypter/ for the protection

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvdshrink/ to fit a dvd on to a single sided dvd

Though I wouldn't know why anyone would need such free software to back up any movie they might own...
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally
We borrowed some early Taggart and Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries through Netflix. Great stuff.
I like Dorothy Parker's work....the best in the genre IMO. Our library has a bunch of Wimsey's and we've seen them all.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Absolutely couldn't be buggered to dig through the list so far............

What about "An Everlasting Piece" (something like that...)

With Billy Conolly (Duh....) about a wig salesman in NI.

Funny.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:11 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a small fortune on Amazon buying up Brit dvd's sometimes because I miss the UK but mostly because American tv is so piss poor

So here goes ...
The Italian Job (yes the original.....its such a shame we have to qualify that )
Zulu
Black Adder
Only Fools and Horses
Snatch+Lock Stock
School for Scoundrels or How to Win Without Actually Cheating! (yes original !!!)
Porridge
Auf Wiedersehen Pet (surely the best mix accents on any tv show)
Phoenix Nights (especially for the views of Rivington and Winter Hill...plus the humour of course)
Lavender Hill Mob
Passport to Pimlico
Royle Family
oh! Mr Porter
Wallace and Gromit
...and a sprinkling of Carry On films
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:34 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

What about:

Shirley Valentine (A favourite chick flick coming out on DVD 4th May!)
A Fish Called Wanda
Enigma
Sense & Sensibility
The Secret
Howards End
An Ideal Husband
Calendar Girls
My House In Umbria
Separate Lies
Belonging
Wetherby
Parting Shots
Ladies In Lavendar
Saving Grace
Secrets & Lies

Brideshead Revisited (old, but still good to watch!)
Vicar of Dibley - The Divine Collection
Inspector Morse
A Touch of Frost
Fawlty Towers - The Collection
Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister - The Complete Set
Cracker
Prime Suspect

Hard to know what you are into... my list is mostly chick flicks and I've tried not to repeat the ones already listed by others!

Regards
Tracey
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Sorry, I have adapted to 'french's', even worse, I have substituted Thousand Island dressing for Salad Cream. . It gets worse I don't even have french's mustard just the wal mart bottle of great value that looks the same. How sad is that?
pmsl!! I've always hated Colmans and salad cream...yuck I love French's mustard even compared to some of the nice German stuff hubby gets....though i will splurge and spend the extra 10c for name brand
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:31 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Oh and of course there is Snatch and Lock stock two smoking barrels.
Both outstanding Brit comedies, and Brad Pitt is awesome as a Pikey.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:17 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
What about:

Shirley Valentine (A favourite chick flick coming out on DVD 4th May!)
A Fish Called Wanda
Enigma
Sense & Sensibility
The Secret
Howards End
An Ideal Husband
Calendar Girls
My House In Umbria
Separate Lies
Belonging
Wetherby
Parting Shots
Ladies In Lavendar
Saving Grace
Secrets & Lies

Brideshead Revisited (old, but still good to watch!)
Vicar of Dibley - The Divine Collection
Inspector Morse
A Touch of Frost
Fawlty Towers - The Collection
Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister - The Complete Set
Cracker
Prime Suspect

Hard to know what you are into... my list is mostly chick flicks and I've tried not to repeat the ones already listed by others!

Regards
Tracey
Adore most on there. I only discovered Cracker recently and watched it over and over again. Prime Suspect is one of the most brill. series ever made IMO
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:31 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Adore most on there. I only discovered Cracker recently and watched it over and over again. Prime Suspect is one of the most brill. series ever made IMO
I too discovered Cracker the series recently and agree it's some of the best television I've ever watched.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:07 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
We borrowed some early Taggart and Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries through Netflix. Great stuff.
love watching Taggart also helps with my accent but sadly as I am still with blockbusters can't get it :curse:

Watched 'a good year' and while not an English film, thought it portrayed the love/hate relationship we have with the French well, and sort of had me homesick for France!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.