Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:41 am
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of
Default Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

I have been here 18 months from London and am feeling a bit homesick. I have been getting British DVD films and TV series from the local Library. Also am on Netflix and I want to line up some good Brit films.

Have a leaning towards London accent stuff...at the moment can you lot remind me of some good titles to order? What's your favourite Brit Flick film that reminds you of home?

I have seen 'Kes', 'Saturday Night, Sunday Morning', original 'Alfie' with Michael Cain and more modern stuff.....

My husband suggested some Ealing Comedies as we are from Ealing in London and can sometimes recognise the area.

Oh yes, we saw '42 Up' recently (about filming a documentary on a set of children as they grow up, every 7 years...it was superb and I believe they have now made a '49 Up'.

Remind me of your favourites....
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:11 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Withnail and I.

They have only fools and horses on netflix.
A Touch of Frost is excellent too.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Oh and of course there is Snatch and Lock stock two smoking barrels.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Last Orders, superb film, I even like 28 Days Later
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Oh, if you want to get shitfaced and feel really homesick, there is a DVD "Visions of England" on there too.

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:41 am
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

Oh....yesss 'Only Fools & Horses'...maybe I could find a boxed set here or in the UK..we used to love it and it's something you can watch time and time again...

And I will get visions of England...which will put me back to an idyllic time of my husband and me in VW camper touring around the UK at every chance we got...popping over to France for cheap booze etc. etc. What memories...we will pick that up again when (and if) we go back...Not into camping here, too many bugs, little things running around....tics - which are so foul. BUT...if someone offered us the use of a luxury Winnebago, then we would do it!

We saw 'Last Orders' a week ago funny enough and we loved it...we could almost taste the beer...

Appreciate your reminders...thanks...feeling better already! Just need to get over my Pork Pie cravings...Melton Mowbray style with a crispy/greasy/lardy crust. Dipped in a bit of Colman's..oh yesss
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
Oh....yesss 'Only Fools & Horses'...maybe I could find a boxed set here or in the UK..we used to love it and it's something you can watch time and time again...

And I will get visions of England...which will put me back to an idyllic time of my husband and me in VW camper touring around the UK at every chance we got...popping over to France for cheap booze etc. etc. What memories...we will pick that up again when (and if) we go back...Not into camping here, too many bugs, little things running around....tics - which are so foul. BUT...if someone offered us the use of a luxury Winnebago, then we would do it!

We saw 'Last Orders' a week ago funny enough and we loved it...we could almost taste the beer...

Appreciate your reminders...thanks...feeling better already! Just need to get over my Pork Pie cravings...Melton Mowbray style with a crispy/greasy/lardy crust. Dipped in a bit of Colman's..oh yesss
Bloody hell, you haven't been here long, I forgot Colmans mustard even existed.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:57 am
joycey

How could you forget Colman's? I have a collection of tubes and dry style here.

I also love French Dijon mustard which I love on Steak and when we first came, we went to Longhorn's Steakhouse and I asked for French Mustard and you can imagine what I got....a huge plastic bottle of 'French's' mustard - suffice to say, I don't bother to ask anymore....
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Bloody hell, you haven't been here long, I forgot Colmans mustard even existed.
How can you forget Colmans I can only eat burgers & hot dogs with it on them, hence I prefer to eat them in the house, World Market stocks it
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
How can you forget Colmans I can only eat burgers & hot dogs with it on them, hence I prefer to eat them in the house, World Market stocks it
Sorry, I have adapted to 'french's', even worse, I have substituted Thousand Island dressing for Salad Cream. . It gets worse I don't even have french's mustard just the wal mart bottle of great value that looks the same. How sad is that?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Essex Boys...
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:17 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

I have been here 18 months from London and am feeling a bit homesick. I have been getting British DVD films and TV series from the local Library. Also am on Netflix and I want to line up some good Brit films.

Have a leaning towards London accent stuff...at the moment can you lot remind me of some good titles to order? What's your favourite Brit Flick film that reminds you of home?

I have seen 'Kes', 'Saturday Night, Sunday Morning', original 'Alfie' with Michael Cain and more modern stuff.....

My husband suggested some Ealing Comedies as we are from Ealing in London and can sometimes recognise the area.

Oh yes, we saw '42 Up' recently (about filming a documentary on a set of children as they grow up, every 7 years...it was superb and I believe they have now made a '49 Up'.

Remind me of your favourites....
Italian Job ( original obviously )
Benny Hill
Red Dwarf
and --- the classic that is "Restless Natives" !

Rich./
P.S. My local HEB sells Colemans mustard in a jar.. mmmmm tasty !
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Sorry, I have adapted to 'french's', even worse, I have substituted Thousand Island dressing for Salad Cream. . It gets worse I don't even have french's mustard just the wal mart bottle of great value that looks the same. How sad is that?
LOL I'm sorry just had to laugh at your comment
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:44 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

How could you forget Colman's? I have a collection of tubes and dry style here.

I also love French Dijon mustard which I love on Steak and when we first came, we went to Longhorn's Steakhouse and I asked for French Mustard and you can imagine what I got....a huge plastic bottle of 'French's' mustard - suffice to say, I don't bother to ask anymore....
Have you got a Stop and Shop or Wegmans, they both sell Colemans in a jar
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Have you got a Stop and Shop or Wegmans, they both sell Colemans in a jar
It's Cabritpop I feel sorry for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.