Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:52 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Just had a look through the old DVD collection, here's my favorites

Howards End
The Remains of the Day
Shadowlands
The Ladykillers
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Made in Britain
The Firm
Love Actually
Kes
Billy Liar
The 39 Steps ( Old but great)
Goodbye Mr Chips
How Green was my Valley
Lock, Stock & Two smoking Barrels
Richard III
Wuthering Heights
The man in the white suit
Notting Hill
Four weddings and a funeral
About a boy
The Lavender Hill mob
I'm all right Jack
Mandy
Trainspotting
A kind of Loving
24 hour party people
Make mine Mink
The Titfield Thunderbolt
Reach for the sky
The Dambusters
Gosford Park

As far as TV, the Up series is definitely a favorite and Rumpole of the Bailey is great for acerbic wit.Simon Schama's History of Britain is an interesting documentary
If you don't know any of these titles, look them up on www.imdb.com
There's also UK Nova when you get through all these....................

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Jan 23rd 2007 at 2:56 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:11 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shorrock
Trainspotting for me

Love Actually for the misses. This is also a good Chrismas mood movie to watch.
I used to live in the flat next to the one where Renton puts Begbie and Sick Boy when they come to London. He refers to it as "the worse place in the world"... right next to the A4 Talgarth Road, corner of North End Road by West Ken tube.. I always shout at the TV whenever whatching it cos the guy would nicked my bike walks pass in the background.... very annoying !
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:50 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Definitely 'The Titfield Thunderbolt' and similar Ealing comedies. I also work my way through the Carry On films when I need my fill of English smuttiness.

When I feel really homesick, I'm progressing through my LoveJoy boxed sets, too many scenes of Green Villages and wonderful village pubs and a reminder that we love the Lovable rogue/cad, whereas here they would've hanged 'em by now!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:57 am
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lionheart

Howards End
The Remains of the Day
Shadowlands
The Ladykillers
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Made in Britain
The Firm
Love Actually
Kes
Billy Liar
Goodbye Mr Chips
How Green was my Valley
Richard III
Wuthering Heights
Notting Hill
About a boy
The Lavender Hill mob
I'm all right Jack
Mandy
Trainspotting
A kind of Loving
24 hour party people
Make mine Mink
The Titfield Thunderbolt
Reach for the sky
The Dambusters
Gosford Park

As far as TV, the Up series is definitely a favorite and Rumpole of the Bailey is great for acerbic wit.Simon Schama's History of Britain is an interesting documentary

Thanks sooo much...you've reminded me of a childhood and adult favourite...'Mandy'...what a great film and also some excellent films from the 60's, which I hope we can get from Netflix. Cheers.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:24 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Going slightly o/t but there are a lot of adverts on the TV for the latest Hugh Grant & Drew Barrymore film out on Valentines Day - 'Music and Lyrics'.

It looks like a total rip-off of the fab Bill Nighy in 'Love Actually', playing an ageing rock star.

Hugh seems to be making the v. same moves he did in 'Love Actually' (where he was the Prime Minister....). I really liked him in Four Weddings and a Funeral but on reflection he just plays the same character in all of his films....same expressions, same anal retentiveness, same body language...in fact he's probably just playing himself....

http://musicandlyrics.warnerbros.com/ (probably a pile of pants.... the music clips are dire....you have been warned!)
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I'd love to know where you got the prawns from then...all i ever see are those big utterly tasteless "Shrimp"
you can get them in various places, but whole foods usually have them...but that's a hassle...but for really nice small ones, also a hassle, but for 90c a pound, dodgy fishermen by the side of the road that sell Maine cold water shrimp are lovely, sometimes you have to cook them, sometimes they are already cooked....don't know if you get those kind of geezers in your neck of the woods, but they were everywhere where we use to live, but that was on the coast.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:43 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Has the one about the Irish boy who became a Ballet dancer been mentioned yet? Sorry, can't remember the name, my wife drug me to see it... It turned out to be pretty funny.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:53 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Irish???? Billy Elliot.

Englishmum, I watched Edge of Reason for the umpteenth time last night, and said EXACTLY the same thing to hubby.....he plays the exact same part in all his movies.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:10 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Irish???? Billy Elliot.

I thought it was, but I could be wrong, it was a while ago.

EDIT: Irish, I mean. You got the title!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:17 am
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Brit Films for when I feel Homesick...

Brassed off, 24 hour party people, and of course, there's only one Jimmy Grimble.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Howards End
The Remains of the Day
Shadowlands
The Ladykillers
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Made in Britain
The Firm
Love Actually
Kes
Billy Liar
Goodbye Mr Chips
How Green was my Valley
Richard III
Wuthering Heights
Notting Hill
About a boy
The Lavender Hill mob
I'm all right Jack
Mandy
Trainspotting
A kind of Loving
24 hour party people
Make mine Mink
The Titfield Thunderbolt
Reach for the sky
The Dambusters
Gosford Park

Fancy copying a few of those and sending them my way old buddy old pal?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:35 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Fancy copying a few of those and sending them my way old buddy old pal?
Sure name them, as long as they are not copy protected.
These are for private viewing I presume, I would never break the law or anything like that.
Not too many, the more you pick the longer it will take me to get around to it.......... oh and some of them are UK format, do you have a region free player.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:46 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
We borrowed some early Taggart and Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries through Netflix. Great stuff.
You got Taggart at Netflix
I must change from Blockbuster then as a few episodes of Taggart does the trick for me
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Sure name them, as long as they are not copy protected.
These are for private viewing I presume, I would never break the law or anything like that.
Not too many, the more you pick the longer it will take me to get around to it.......... oh and some of them are UK format, do you have a region free player.
Dont have a region free player but I've got 2 small DVD players and intend to get one of them hacked. I'll highlight a few and repost Tom....thanks mate. Can we continue our bickering now without fear of losing this favour or do I have to suck up abit longer?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:03 pm
Banned

Dont have a region free player but I've got 2 small DVD players and intend to get one of them hacked. I'll highlight a few and repost Tom....thanks mate. Can we continue our bickering now without fear of losing this favour or do I have to suck up abit longer?
Sure, of course I will string you along for a while before actually admitting I don't actually have any of these DVD's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.