Back in England!!!!

Old May 30th 2004, 11:44 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Got to laugh at all these comments. I dont normally respond v.often on this forum (normally just Lurk), but I just have to jump in on this thread.

Does the fact that I am an Aussie who has spent 20+ years away from OZ and recently returned to my homeland mean that the UK / France / Italy / Norway / Germany et al didnt work for me ? or does it just mean that I've been there, done that, pocketed the mullah , found the bloke and am ready to come home ?

I think for folk that return to the UK after less than a year or two, maybe in some cases it could be said it didnt work for them, but for folk that have been away for 5+, 10+, 20+ years and then return to the UK (or whatever country is their homeland) then it can be said they are moving on to the next stage of their life.

Having said that, there is no need to be negative or nasty about the country that you've emigrated to and are returning from.

Yes there are things I didnt like about the UK (and France and Germany and ..... and .....) when I emigrated there, but there were also things I loved and still miss about each one too. All the countries I've been in have been good to me and I've learnt a lot from living in each one.

The fact that I am back (finally) in OZ just means that all these other places I've lived/worked are not right for me AT THE MOMENT and OZ is, just the way I'm sure Dotty, Pants, HP, et.al are saying that OZ is not right for them AT THE MOMENT but UK is.

Doesn't mean its a permanent situation for any of us, and it doesnt mean the other places are crap.

(apologies guys if I'm putting words in your mouths that you dont mean - but thats the way I read what you all are saying)
Old May 30th 2004, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Got to laugh at all these comments. I dont normally respond v.often on this forum (normally just Lurk), but I just have to jump in on this thread...

The fact that I am back (finally) in OZ just means that all these other places I've lived/worked are not right for me AT THE MOMENT and OZ is, just the way I'm sure Dotty, Pants, HP, et.al are saying that OZ is not right for them AT THE MOMENT but UK is.

Doesn't mean its a permanent situation for any of us, and it doesnt mean the other places are crap.
I find myself agreeing with you. Dammit!
Old May 30th 2004, 12:15 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I find myself agreeing with you. Dammit!

Second (or is it third) time in 6 months Mike!!! Be careful - you could be starting a trend
Old May 30th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

M&C, agree with you wholeheartedly.

A change in our circumstances (i.e. first baby) made us re-evaluate where we wanted to be. It was very hard to up and leave Oz so soon but other factors took priority. So yes UK is right for us, right now.

Perhaps like you (?) we went to the other side of the world for a bit of an adventure, not to get a new life! But nothing has to be forever. Soom people here are forgetting that - and think that unless you stay in Oz forever, you've failed. It's so not true.

Best wishes to you now you are 'home'!
Old May 30th 2004, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Got to laugh at all these comments. I dont normally respond v.often on this forum (normally just Lurk), but I just have to jump in on this thread.

Does the fact that I am an Aussie who has spent 20+ years away from OZ and recently returned to my homeland mean that the UK / France / Italy / Norway / Germany et al didnt work for me ? or does it just mean that I've been there, done that, pocketed the mullah , found the bloke and am ready to come home ?

I think for folk that return to the UK after less than a year or two, maybe in some cases it could be said it didnt work for them, but for folk that have been away for 5+, 10+, 20+ years and then return to the UK (or whatever country is their homeland) then it can be said they are moving on to the next stage of their life.

Having said that, there is no need to be negative or nasty about the country that you've emigrated to and are returning from.

Yes there are things I didnt like about the UK (and France and Germany and ..... and .....) when I emigrated there, but there were also things I loved and still miss about each one too. All the countries I've been in have been good to me and I've learnt a lot from living in each one.

(apologies guys if I'm putting words in your mouths that you dont mean - but thats the way I read what you all are saying)
Mairi
Great post I really agree with you. I live outside the UK and when I first got here I really pined for the UK but now I love it. I am shortly going to Oz, but I believe like you say we learn a lot from each place that we live. I have certainly learnt how to cook med cusine here
Old May 31st 2004, 5:06 am
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Back in England!!!!

Originally posted by wombat42
Yeah, and living in a carboard box, freezing in London and being bashed everynight is much better then living on a fantastic
beach in Australia. 52% of Britains want to leave their country and the most popular destination is Australia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...208740,00.html

I have to say being a Britian living in Australia at the moment (debating whether to go back to the U.K or not) that i remember before we came here (mum back then, had always wanted to live in Australia, since she learnt about it in geography at school and then rest of fam' moved ere so we did). That the visions of Australia where over glorified.. ie: pictures of beaches, BBQ's pool, surf and the outback... which is all good if you want a holiday and no wonder it is british citizens choice of destiantion after seeing all that B.S.

So i wonder how many Brits come here stay and live for a while and then go home again.

Like someone said on a forum here... you move here, get hot and die poor.

England compared to OZ is a lot better off IMHO. Yeah the house prices might be extravagent but in comparison they aint much different here....and yes british rail maybe expensive, but you work around it, besides at the end of the day it all evens out, i mean if i got a job in the U.K doing exactly as i am now my wage will triple what i am on now.... and yes i have checked british employment websites to get that verdict. The U.K has a hell of lot going for it..., and after being in Oz for 12years i can say with confidence that Oz does not.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally posted by clivey
Okay so I am back in England. No money, no job, no transport and I am sleeping in an old camper van! Ah well. this has to be better than Australia. Or is it? Still too early to make any judgements apart from saying that the weather is great, food prices are cheap. Give me time and I will send more info. Got to get a job though. Seems to be plenty of work in all spheres. I arrived on 21st May so still a bit of a newbie. I joined the local library in Worcester so Internet access is a little easier. Anybody coming over here though needs to make sure they have accomadation fixed up before hand or bring lots of money. I paid £90 for one night in a Comfort Inn near Heathrow Airport.
Will post more as and when I can. Good luck to all.
Wonder how things are going?
Hope you managed to work things out, clivey.
Keep us posted!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by cathy22w
Wonder how things are going?
Hope you managed to work things out, clivey.
Keep us posted!
Clivey, same as cathy really, hope its working out for you, takes time but good luck and keep us posted.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

clivey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the helpful links. Well I have been here in Worcester just over a week now. As I said before the weather is great and I haven't been bashed by hordes of immigrants or skinheads. Job applications are staring to flow. I don't think there will be a problemin getting a job. If I had loads a money it would be easier for me. What I am doing to survive is gardening and handyman work in exchange for a bed and a couple of meals per day .This will me keep me going. I will start again in this country. I don't hate Australia but it was not for me. I have gone through the process of emigrating to Oz 13 years ago, working there, buying a house, getting divorced etc almost all the experiences you would ever want and not want. After all this I wanted to come home. Perth was never home to me. I tried but eventually had to come back. Having said that I have not shut the door on Oz. I can't. I have three children there whom I already miss like mad. Before I left Oz I obtained a five year return Visa. I have come back to the UK to find out for myself. In doing that if I can help anybody the same way people have helped me in this forum I will.
Cheers.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 2:36 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Clivey

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you are gradually finding your feet. Good luck with the job hunting I am sure you will get something permanent soon. I'm sending all positive thoughts your way !!

All the best

P

and keep us updated please
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Glad you are doing O.K. Clivey

Please let us know if you need any help or advise.

Take care
BG
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by she'llberight
My thoughts exactly. Didn't want to post those thoughts though because Pants and Dotty are on a head-hunting mission and I just don't want to get involved (until now). Slagging off people and name-calling people with differing ideas is not for me. They've had their opportunity but for whatever reason it didn't work for them. This part of the forum is interesting for me because it gives views and opinions on those who have returned from overseas and the pros and cons they found along the way. They have the knowledge that us as soon-to-be expats don't have therefore any postings from them are greatfully received. For me it flags up that for some it's not all a bed of roses and moving overseas could end up being the biggest mistake we ever make. Again, for the people who have posted their views on why it didn't work for them, thank you.

Dotty, you have given us some really useful posts that have been helpful and humourous. But sometimes your attitude to being an ex-expat gets a bit tedious. We need the views of people who have returned and most of us take those views on board but the constant negativity sometimes gets a bit too much. I don't want to offend you and if I have I apologise but this is how I feel and I'm not going to let anyone bully me into not posting my thoughts for fear of, well, exactly what has happened on this post - I have kept quiet until now but feel I should speak up and not be intimidated by the response (that goes for you too Pants). It's not surprising a lot of people just view the forum and don't post if this is what happens....

Now if you want to have another go, be my guest. I have said what I needed to say and for me that is the end of it.
You cannot say "it didn't work for them" when referring to several of the posters on here. Many of the returnees have done very nicely out of Oz. Just because people return to the UK doesn't mean that Oz "didn't work for them". It merely means it wasn't RIGHT for them.

by the way, have you ever LIVED in Australia (and I don't mean a couple of months holiday)???
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 4:59 pm
Reticent Member

she'llberight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
You cannot say "it didn't work for them" when referring to several of the posters on here. Many of the returnees have done very nicely out of Oz. Just because people return to the UK doesn't mean that Oz "didn't work for them". It merely means it wasn't RIGHT for them.

by the way, have you ever LIVED in Australia (and I don't mean a couple of months holiday)???

[QUOTE They've had their opportunity but for whatever reason it didn't work for them QUOTE].

Apologies, I should've made that point clearer. I was talking about a few specific people, not everyone. And yes, I understand that a persons reason for returning back home isn't only because it didn't work for them.

Hope I've cleared that up for you.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by she'llberight
[QUOTE They've had their opportunity but for whatever reason it didn't work for them QUOTE].

Apologies, I should've made that point clearer. I was talking about a few specific people, not everyone. And yes, I understand that a persons reason for returning back home isn't only because it didn't work for them.

Hope I've cleared that up for you.
apology accepted!!! Have you lived in Oz???
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 5:27 pm
Reticent Member

she'llberight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
apology accepted!!! Have you lived in Oz???
No, but we have family over there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.