Back in England!!!!

Old May 28th 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

clivey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back in England!!!!

Okay so I am back in England. No money, no job, no transport and I am sleeping in an old camper van! Ah well. this has to be better than Australia. Or is it? Still too early to make any judgements apart from saying that the weather is great, food prices are cheap. Give me time and I will send more info. Got to get a job though. Seems to be plenty of work in all spheres. I arrived on 21st May so still a bit of a newbie. I joined the local library in Worcester so Internet access is a little easier. Anybody coming over here though needs to make sure they have accomadation fixed up before hand or bring lots of money. I paid £90 for one night in a Comfort Inn near Heathrow Airport.
Will post more as and when I can. Good luck to all.
Old May 28th 2004, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

This may seem a bit weird but it may help you...

Look at the link.... There is cheap accomodation and some jobs are posted there too....

Some of the hostels are only GBP 20 a night.....

http://www.yha.org.uk/Home/Home_Page/index.html

If it's not any help no worries...... Just something I found when searching hotels online.

Good luck to you....
Old May 28th 2004, 6:53 pm
Wiggle

Default Re: Back in England!!!!

Originally posted by clivey
Okay so I am back in England. No money, no job, no transport and I am sleeping in an old camper van! Ah well. this has to be better than Australia. Or is it? Still too early to make any judgements apart from saying that the weather is great, food prices are cheap. Give me time and I will send more info. Got to get a job though. Seems to be plenty of work in all spheres. I arrived on 21st May so still a bit of a newbie. I joined the local library in Worcester so Internet access is a little easier. Anybody coming over here though needs to make sure they have accomadation fixed up before hand or bring lots of money. I paid £90 for one night in a Comfort Inn near Heathrow Airport.
I've no experience of this ..but aren't the local council supposed to provide you with accomodation. They seem to do it for '000's of immigrants, so why not you ?

Go and sit in their offices and ask for help, can't do any harm.

Old May 28th 2004, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

daytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Luck

Hey
Good luck to you. I'm stuck in the USA at present 5 months work (at 4 quid an hour) in nearly 2 years (long story). Housing prices frightening back home, but a lot better chance of work for me. Really desparate to get back now. Let us know how you go on..Great Cricket ground at Worcester by the way. Here in Carolina it's just churches every 100 yards, nothing else of interest nuff said !! Oz couldn't have been that bad. Have Cousins in Perth and Sydney. One loves it the other hates it.
I guess it's a bit like the USA, travel 100's of miles to see exactly what you just left hours ago.

Cheers
J
Old May 28th 2004, 11:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that you are almost certainly eligible to claim Income Support? You would then be eligible for Housing Benefit etc.

Someone (Bromleygirl?) originally posted up this link, as there is still some confusion in a number of DSS offices whether or not people who have just arrived in the UK who have lived outside the EEC countries can claim. However, there was a reform in legislation to allow returning British citizens who have lived overseas to claim as if they had never left the UK:

http://www.ac-company.org/en/forum_en/hrt_en.html

(The bit about the 'Swaddling' decision is towards the bottom of the page).

I suggest that you arrive at the Employment Service Jobcentre ASAP - probably closed on Monday due to the Bank holiday - and say that you want to register for work. I guess that you at some time had a National Insurance number, they should be able to trace it if you can't find or remember it. Also get the details from the above link printed off (one copy to keep and one to give to the Jobcentre staff when you have your interview - the day your turn up to make the appointment will be the date that they begin your claim (first three days are not paid) and usually you have to return a couple of days or so later for an interview.

Even if you're quite capable of finding a job, without any money or savings you will soon be in dire straits, so don't feel too proud to 'sign on' until you can get established again. I would tell them the bare minimum - that you lived overseas and work dried up so you have returned to the UK. I wouldn't tell them that you may only be here on a temporary measure, just indicate that you intend to be back in the UK for good (regardless of whether or not that is your intention!). Also I guess that there must be some sort of housing dept. in Worcester.....you could ask at the Town Hall and it's possible that they may direct you to a Housing Association. I guess that single men aren't exactly at the top of the list as far as priority goes, but if you become eligible for Housing Benefit via the DSS then many private landlords will let you become a tenant. (Can you provide any sort of reference eg. from a previous landlord or a character witness from a former employer etc.?). Also, check if the YMCA has bedsit accommodation in your area.

Good Luck!
Old May 29th 2004, 5:21 am
wombat42

Yeah, and living in a carboard box, freezing in London and being bashed everynight is much better then living on a fantastic
beach in Australia. 52% of Britains want to leave their country and the most popular destination is Australia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...208740,00.html

Old May 29th 2004, 7:00 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombat42
Yeah, and living in a carboard box, freezing in London and being bashed everynight is much better then living on a fantastic
beach in Australia. 52% of Britains want to leave their country and the most popular destination is Australia.

wombat why are you so intent on slagging the UK. !!!???

Crap happens here too.....Clivey has decided to go back..his choice perhaps offer some GOOD advice or just none at all!!
Old May 29th 2004, 7:05 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Clivey

Early days I guess..Hope you get some work soon, be good to get back into swing of things. Keep your chin up and don't let any wombats get you down.!!!

Keep us posted on your progress...

All the best

Pants
Old May 29th 2004, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

good morning just rolled out of my cardboard box,

Clivey, first of all the UK has loads of work, I dont know what you do but it seems to me it would be difficult for anyone not to be able to find a job. Take anything, once employed get accom and work your way back up from there. You can and will do it

Wombat I just read the OZ forum, it seems they are all whipped up by somebody in Japan who told them the housing market has collapsed in OZ, now if that was true OZ is going to be in for a huge roll on unemployment. The economy of OZ has been driven totally by the housing market, areas which had 26% unemployment before the boom went down to 9% which aint too bad for OZ. Think about it, how many people spent money on every possible industry you can think of from travel to cars to shops to houshold improvements all based on money made from property, lets face it if the housing market collapsed there will be huge and massive job losses not just in the construction industry. So yes plenty of dreamers could well end up with their dream of living on the beach, and I dont mean in a house either.

It really makes you think, why on earth would people be so keen to move to a country that if you believe this forum has a collapsing currency and the loss of its biggest economy driver the housing boom. It does strike me as odd that people have so little knowledge of the real OZ, I bet most of those who want to move to OZ have never been there.

I will say tho I think people are getting too wound up, its mainly overvalued stuff and apartments that are going backwards, and good property is still selling, asked my husband whos still in OZ till July whats going on where hes staying with friends and says three Sold signs can be seen just from the front window. Timberdale estate Buderim if anyone fancies checking and no sorry thats not my old house that was on the top of Buderim and sold and settled within 3 weeks of hitting the market. Not exactly a housing collapse there then Buy well to live in and it will always go up.

Sorry for hijacking your thread clive, but this constant OZ is so great and UK is so crap is quite ironic if people actually thought about some of the current claims being made about OZ at the moment:scared:

Good luck clivey
Old May 29th 2004, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

beach in Australia...
wombat - such an apt description.

You're slow and you've dug yourself yet another hole.

The beach may be the best a lot of Aussies get. After* the US, Oz has the second-highest proportion of people with incomes below the poverty line - more than 14 per cent. But Oz beats US, when it comes to the proportion of elderly people living in poverty - 29 per cent.

Sounds like a case of come to Oz, fry and then die poor.

(* 'How Australia Compares', CUP, $49.95 in Oz. Price is only relevant for those that can afford it....)

Last edited by MikeStanton; May 29th 2004 at 7:49 am.
Old May 29th 2004, 7:51 am
Reticent Member

she'llberight is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE It really makes you think, why on earth would people be so keen to move to a country that if you believe this forum has a collapsing currency and the loss of its biggest economy driver the housing boom. It does strike me as odd that people have so little knowledge of the real OZ, I bet most of those who want to move to OZ have never been there.QUOTE]

Old May 29th 2004, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by she'llberight
[QUOTE It really makes you think, why on earth would people be so keen to move to a country that if you believe this forum has a collapsing currency and the loss of its biggest economy driver the housing boom. It does strike me as odd that people have so little knowledge of the real OZ, I bet most of those who want to move to OZ have never been there.QUOTE]

Not me whos saying the house market is collapsing, not me whos
saying the dollar is plummeting, they are no longer worries of mine.

Its our pals on the Moving to OZ forum who have failed to realise house market collapse would be a disaster for OZ, still at least if they dont get a job they wont have to worry about the collapsing aussie and new zealand dollars

Life on the beach for some is becoming more realistic by the minute
Literally.
Old May 29th 2004, 8:36 am
Live the moment

[/QUOTE]

here we go again....
Old May 29th 2004, 8:51 am
Reticent Member

she'llberight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pants

here we go again.... [/QUOTE]

You know, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking......
Old May 29th 2004, 8:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by she'llberight
here we go again....
You know, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking...... [/QUOTE]

Pants

It looks like Trolls come in all shapes and sizes!

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.