Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and regretted it?

Anyone moved back and regretted it?

Old May 22nd 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone moved back and regretted it?

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
Hi

We are hoping to go in July but we will have a decision to make pending an interview on Thursday morning. Have done mega research on the web but it is not the same as setting foot in the country.

Are you in Perth?
Go for a rekkie trip first, its a must if you can afford it..................
dont sell your house, keep it as an investment
Figure out whats important to you, what you are prepared to live with and without,
What you expect in 2, 5 and 10 years
Will you miss your family and friends
are you a social adaptable person
do you like the dark after 7pm every night....
will you miss your good jobs
will you adapt to change and a weird lifestyle full of weird people.. like me

i could go on, but its there for the taking .......................
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are hoping to go in July but we will have a decision to make pending an interview on Thursday morning. Have done mega research on the web but it is not the same as setting foot in the country.

Are you in Perth?
Hi Carol, I am in Bunbury 2 hours south of Perth.
Houses here have shot up in price also.
We are lucky we bought when we did, but its so expensive here now.
We also had a lovely home and a nice life back in the UK.
But there was just something missing.
Im not the right person to give advice at the moment, as my mum and dad went back today after being here for 3 months. And im devastated.
I want to go home at the moment, it is hard being away from family.
If i could just bring them here then it would be perfect to me.
All i can say is, if you are ok financially then GO for it.
Then if its not your cup of T you can go back.
We could go back, we have done ok financially, but hubby and kids dont want to.
So i have told them i will have to go back for hols quite often, they say thats ok, as long as we can stay.
Anyway good luck with your decision
Denise
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi Carol, I am in Bunbury 2 hours south of Perth.
Houses here have shot up in price also.
We are lucky we bought when we did, but its so expensive here now.
We also had a lovely home and a nice life back in the UK.
But there was just something missing.
Im not the right person to give advice at the moment, as my mum and dad went back today after being here for 3 months. And im devastated.
I want to go home at the moment, it is hard being away from family.
If i could just bring them here then it would be perfect to me.
All i can say is, if you are ok financially then GO for it.
Then if its not your cup of T you can go back.
We could go back, we have done ok financially, but hubby and kids dont want to.
So i have told them i will have to go back for hols quite often, they say thats ok, as long as we can stay.
Anyway good luck with your decision
Denise
On this note though,

what sort of life is it family wise when you are all going off in tangents , does this make a family ? if there is no direction in togerthness.

This is a reason we are pi**ing off back,
we both work 55 hours a week each, spend less time with our kids and farm them out to after school clubs and earn far less money for the hours we do.

The sun, sand, and easy lifestlye doesnt replace the quality time we spent in the UK as a family unit.

Its all great though if you can afford it and adjust to the lifestlye to suit you.

Personally we just werent ready for it.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Hi Denise

Thanks for the advice. We are both nurses so getting work shouldn't be too much of a problem. Trouble is there are so many people on this site saying that they regret going and that there is nothing to do for the kids once they reach teenage years?

We have two kids aged 8 and 5, but they are very close to their cousins and grandparents and I think it will be difficult for them to settle.

My hubby has an interview this week for the South Metropolitan area in Perth but it is difficult to know which area will be nice to live in when we have never even been in the country. Trying to do it all by internet, although not the same as actually setting foot in the country.

We would be taking a huge gamble. We have to sell our house in Scotland to pay for the move so the thought that it might be a big mistake fills me with dread.

Have you been in Perth long?

Carol xx
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Niavely we thought it would be a much more family orientated lifestyle. perhaps we have much more groundwork to do!!!
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
On this note though,

what sort of life is it family wise when you are all going off in tangents , does this make a family ? if there is no direction in togerthness.

This is a reason we are pi**ing off back,
we both work 55 hours a week each, spend less time with our kids and farm them out to after school clubs and earn far less money for the hours we do.

The sun, sand, and easy lifestlye doesnt replace the quality time we spent in the UK as a family unit.

Its all great though if you can afford it and adjust to the lifestlye to suit you.

Personally we just werent ready for it.
How old are your children, are they making a fuss about going back, or are they too young.
My mum and dad came out in the 70s, with 5 kids, 4 years and then took us back, i was 15 and wanted to stay here. But i was too young, because of it i did badly in school, played truant, and did not turn up for exams, in Oz i loved going to school. I gave mum and dad hell for years, im sorry to say.
How can i do the same thing to my kids, they have settled here and they love it, they even talk Aussie, the youngest are 7, 12, 13.
My hubby loves it here, its only me that is finding it difficult, and it is family i miss nothing else.
You have been unsettled for a while, and have made your decision and i wish you well.
Denise
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Denise

Thanks for the advice. We are both nurses so getting work shouldn't be too much of a problem. Trouble is there are so many people on this site saying that they regret going and that there is nothing to do for the kids once they reach teenage years?

We have two kids aged 8 and 5, but they are very close to their cousins and grandparents and I think it will be difficult for them to settle.

My hubby has an interview this week for the South Metropolitan area in Perth but it is difficult to know which area will be nice to live in when we have never even been in the country. Trying to do it all by internet, although not the same as actually setting foot in the country.

We would be taking a huge gamble. We have to sell our house in Scotland to pay for the move so the thought that it might be a big mistake fills me with dread.

Carol xx
Hi Carol, i am not in perth, I am 2 hours south of Perth, south west.
Could you maybe afford to come out to have a look, my hubby came out for 3 weeks on his own, i lived in Oz as a teenager, so had an idea what to expect, he came and had a look around.
Your kids will be fine they will adjust no problem , they are young enough.
There are nursing jobs available all over WA so try to have a look around before you decide where you want to settle.
Im not biased but Bunbury south west is beautiful.
Denise
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Denise

Carol xx
I know you may not want me interfering, but dont sell your house...

think of other ways of financing the move, maybe wait a year, ask for relocation assistance, etc etc, maybe one of you go over to start work and set up.

One of the biggest things you will find with the aussies and habitants of Aus is they are investment mad, half own 1 or more properties, the rest are too dam poor to afford them, or are just inbetween places so dont need one and dont care... about long term...

Look at your wages, hours at work and what you realistically can do as a family..if your working class, youll find it different from the rich pommie types coming over with lots of dosh....
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Denise

How far would Bunbury be from Rockingham or Freemantle? Travelling distance?

Have been looking on real estate websites. We have a four bedroomed 2 bathroomed detached house here in Scotland and would be looking for the same in Perth. However, don't see any for under $400k??? Is there an average house price in Bunbury for 4 beds 2bathrooms?

A rekkie trip is a must, it's where to start, LOL

Carol
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cranni
How old are your children, are they making a fuss about going back, or are they too young.
My mum and dad came out in the 70s, with 5 kids, 4 years and then took us back, i was 15 and wanted to stay here. But i was too young, because of it i did badly in school, played truant, and did not turn up for exams, in Oz i loved going to school. I gave mum and dad hell for years, im sorry to say.
How can i do the same thing to my kids, they have settled here and they love it, they even talk Aussie, the youngest are 7, 12, 13.
My hubby loves it here, its only me that is finding it difficult, and it is family i miss nothing else.
You have been unsettled for a while, and have made your decision and i wish you well.
Denise
Hi,

Oldest is 12, and youngest 5....

12 YO is not too happy but I guess he has a right to be.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

We most certainly are working class, both nurses. Everyone we have spoken to says that the cost of living is cheaper but on researching the website, it doesn't appear so. We both work full time here but I would have to work part time in Oz to look after the kids.

Have you moved back yet?
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Denise

How far would Bunbury be from Rockingham or Freemantle? Travelling distance?

Have been looking on real estate websites. We have a four bedroomed 2 bathroomed detached house here in Scotland and would be looking for the same in Perth. However, don't see any for under $400k??? Is there an average house price in Bunbury for 4 beds 2bathrooms?

A rekkie trip is a must, it's where to start, LOL

Carol
Hi, we are about 1 and a half hours away.
We had 5 bed 2 bath in UK and have the same here, it worked out cheaper to build, but lots of stress.
Look on www.realestate.com.au at prices in Bunbury, we are in Dalyellup, but you can build in a place called Treendale much cheaper, probably around 300K 4X2.
You will have to ask on here places to avoid.
Hope this helps.
Denise

I think a rekkie trip would be a good idea, how many kids do you have and how old.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
Hi,

Oldest is 12, and youngest 5....

12 YO is not too happy but I guess he has a right to be.
I can imagine, we make these decisions, and turn their lives upside down, get them settled, and then do it again.
Why cant life be simple. I wish
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Denise

We have two kids, aged 8 and 5 but both are outgoing so will do well whereever they are.

We will need to be closer to Perth to avoid long travelling times to and from work.

Surprised but pleased that you can build a 4x2 for around $300k thanks for that.
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Denise where are you from in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.