British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone moved back and regretted it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-moved-back-regretted-374394/)

alkristensen May 19th 2006 12:11 am

Anyone moved back and regretted it?

JUST WONDERING AS YOU FIND LOADS OF POSTS ON MOVING BACK, saying how they miss this and this was better etc, and i would like to know if you have got back and all was not how you thought.

Its just that im off to oz soon and reading the posts about moving back has scared me.

alk

cranni May 19th 2006 12:59 am

Re: Anyone moved back and regretted it?

Originally Posted by alkristensen
JUST WONDERING AS YOU FIND LOADS OF POSTS ON MOVING BACK, saying how they miss this and this was better etc, and i would like to know if you have got back and all was not how you thought.

Its just that im off to oz soon and reading the posts about moving back has scared me.

alk

Dont read them then.
Mind, i do and then i feel depresssed.
Just come over and make your own mind up.
Whats good for one may not be for another.

amhibbert May 19th 2006 1:01 am

alk

Not yet - we moved from Whalley Range 2 years ago and are just returning next month. Will let you know what happens . . .

Amanda

breezeboylan May 19th 2006 1:48 am

Originally Posted by amhibbert
Not yet - we moved from Whalley Range 2 years ago and are just returning next month. Will let you know what happens . . .

Amanda

can I ask why your comin back.
Tracie

amhibbert May 19th 2006 2:00 am

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
can I ask why your comin back.
Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Well, all the same reasons everyone else writes really. Feel like Australia is so isolated, no new ideas, no stimulation, bad TV, bad newspapers, serious lack of variety/quality of food, clothes, toys etc . . . I can't think of it all right now, but read what others have written - amazingly we've all come to the same conclusions.

We came out to have a quieter, less stressful life, but found that that's not what we wanted - it is too quiet, too stress-less, too boring.

We are looking forward to returning to Manchester where things seem to be happening, where you can buy a house that is solid and not made of cardboard.

And back to England where you embrace new ideas and new products, and allow imported goods - over here everything you buy needs to be "Australian" otherwise you are not supporting the country - even if the stuff is crap.

We've literally had to take back nearly every electronic thing we've bought since we've been here 'cause it's broken. We keep all receipts in a very safe place as we know we're going to need them to return them.

That's just our reasons why we're going back - if you want to hear the good things about Australia, I can give you a few of those too.

Amanda

pomref May 19th 2006 2:42 am

Hi Tracie,

Well, all the same reasons everyone else writes really. Feel like Australia is so isolated, no new ideas, no stimulation, bad TV, bad newspapers, serious lack of variety/quality of food, clothes, toys etc . . . I can't think of it all right now, but read what others have written - amazingly we've all come to the same conclusions.

We came out to have a quieter, less stressful life, but found that that's not what we wanted - it is too quiet, too stress-less, too boring.

We are looking forward to returning to Manchester where things seem to be happening, where you can buy a house that is solid and not made of cardboard.

And back to England where you embrace new ideas and new products, and allow imported goods - over here everything you buy needs to be "Australian" otherwise you are not supporting the country - even if the stuff is crap.

We've literally had to take back nearly every electronic thing we've bought since we've been here 'cause it's broken. We keep all receipts in a very safe place as we know we're going to need them to return them.

That's just our reasons why we're going back - if you want to hear the good things about Australia, I can give you a few of those too.

Amanda

The Grass is not always greener on the other side. At least you have tried it and good for you. Theirs no point staying if it doesn't make you happy, good luck for your trip back I'm sure your see the UK under a new light.

janeyray May 19th 2006 10:58 am

alk

We have been back two years now and not regretted it for a single moment. Although I do know people who have come back and then returned to Oz again, how long they last a second time is anyones guess I suppose?

We loved our time in OZ but knew it wasnt a permanent thing once we arrived. I think people tend to make the mistake of leaving 'for good' as we did. These days theres nothing stopping a family renting out their home for a couple of years to see whats its like first, rather than selling up their entire life they had here in the UK (we did just that) just to realise that maybe their lives were ok in the UK after all? We spent thousands of pounds (about £25,000) getting to Perth, setting up home and then returning. Ok we learnt from our experiences but at a price!

Still, we have been and done it, tried but returned. Good luck to anyone going. :D

Pants May 19th 2006 11:31 am

alk

Go to Oz, enjoy and try to have an open mind. Of course peeps compare the 2 countries and you will miss stuff from the UK but that's the beauty isn't it...difference. Imagine if we all went to Oz to find it the same as the UK but with sun.....and of course there are similarities but take them in your stride.

I have been back 18months and yep can say I miss certain things about Oz and I missed certain things about the UK too. Good and bad in both.!!

Don't be scared...its an adventure!! Make it what you can.!!

Good luck and stay positive. ;)

Always21 May 19th 2006 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pants
Imagine if we all went to Oz to find it the same as the UK but with sun.....

A place that's the same as the UK but with sun sounds pretty good to me! ;)

Sarah May 19th 2006 2:47 pm

alk

Hi Alk, I'm from Blackburn and moved to the USA.
After you arrive in Oz, and start feeling homesick (and you will, and it can be hell)
Try and remember that the average joe needs about 2 years before they feel settled and at home in their new country.

Amanda&Paul May 19th 2006 11:50 pm

Hi Tracie,

Amanda

Hi Amanda

This could be me writing this! I agree with everything you say here, including taking everything back to shops - we have never had so many purchases go wrong!

The only thing I would add is friends and family and missing those who just can't afford to come out for a visit every year or 2. My son can't remember some of my family and even though I have pictures up and repeat their names/stories etc he is just not interested (typical boy!). We are not in a position to return every year for a visit and probably couldn't afford it every 2 years on Aussie wages!

We have been here 2years six months and are returning in 10 weeks for the forseeable future.

Another Amanda!

amhibbert May 20th 2006 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
Hi Amanda

This could be me writing this! I agree with everything you say here, including taking everything back to shops - we have never had so many purchases go wrong!

The only thing I would add is friends and family and missing those who just can't afford to come out for a visit every year or 2. My son can't remember some of my family and even though I have pictures up and repeat their names/stories etc he is just not interested (typical boy!). We are not in a position to return every year for a visit and probably couldn't afford it every 2 years on Aussie wages!

We have been here 2years six months and are returning in 10 weeks for the forseeable future.

!

Hello other Amanda,

have you found it difficult to make the decision? we're already thinking twice and we've only just booked the tickets - have we made the wrong decision? will we get back there and think oh my god, what have we done? we're actually leaving our shipping stuff here in storage for about a month, until we know for sure we want to live in UK again. where are you living, by the way, and have you lived in that area all the time you've been in Australia?
Another Amanda

Ruby Murray May 20th 2006 12:42 am

alk

Hi alk,
We ended up going back to the UK (Hyde, Gtr. Manchester) after 17 months in Canada. We had hit some problems that we never thought we'd encounter and my hubby thought it was in all our best interests to sell everything up and go back. I didn't want to and fought tooth and nail to get him to change his mind, but because of the mind-state he was in at that time, I was fighting a losing battle. Arrived back in the UK, and then another battle ensued.....deciding on where to live! OH is from South Manchester and I'm from East M'cr. He didn't want us to live back in Hyde, but I did so that the kids could at least return to their former schools. It's a very long story that went on for 8 months but for the last 4 of those months, we were living separately (me and the kids at my parents in Hyde - for the kids & school sake) and him at his brothers in South M'cr. Even though we tried applying for housing in a couple of other areas in the UK (Shrewsbury & Warrington), the obtaining accommodation part was a nightmare! As we'd returned to the UK with just a few thousand pounds, we definitely couldn't afford to buy a house again, therefore, we had to rely on the good ol' council house route - Ha!! What a bloody joke that was!! "Sorry Mr & Mrs C....even though you are categorically listed as overcrowded at the In-Laws and have 200 points, you will still have to wait many, many months to be offered anything as there are 1,000's in front of you!!" After 5 mths on the list and no offers of a house, and nearly calling our marriage quits due to us living apart, we agreed together, that Canada would offer us better. We arrived back here in Red Deer last August to give it another crack of the whip and thankfully, we have never been happier. None of us have even been homesick once, because this time round, we appreciate what we've come back to. Although we know it's not "paradise", we're happier with the better life we have now.

This is just an opinion based on our experience....some who return to the UK are glad they did and go on to lead happy fulfilled lives with no regrets. In our case, we couldn't wait to get back on that flight to Calgary!! :D

cranni May 20th 2006 1:53 am

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Hi alk,
We ended up going back to the UK (Hyde, Gtr. Manchester) after 17 months in Canada. We had hit some problems that we never thought we'd encounter and my hubby thought it was in all our best interests to sell everything up and go back. I didn't want to and fought tooth and nail to get him to change his mind, but because of the mind-state he was in at that time, I was fighting a losing battle. Arrived back in the UK, and then another battle ensued.....deciding on where to live! OH is from South Manchester and I'm from East M'cr. He didn't want us to live back in Hyde, but I did so that the kids could at least return to their former schools. It's a very long story that went on for 8 months but for the last 4 of those months, we were living separately (me and the kids at my parents in Hyde - for the kids & school sake) and him at his brothers in South M'cr. Even though we tried applying for housing in a couple of other areas in the UK (Shrewsbury & Warrington), the obtaining accommodation part was a nightmare! As we'd returned to the UK with just a few thousand pounds, we definitely couldn't afford to buy a house again, therefore, we had to rely on the good ol' council house route - Ha!! What a bloody joke that was!! "Sorry Mr & Mrs C....even though you are categorically listed as overcrowded at the In-Laws and have 200 points, you will still have to wait many, many months to be offered anything as there are 1,000's in front of you!!" After 5 mths on the list and no offers of a house, and nearly calling our marriage quits due to us living apart, we agreed together, that Canada would offer us better. We arrived back here in Red Deer last August to give it another crack of the whip and thankfully, we have never been happier. None of us have even been homesick once, because this time round, we appreciate what we've come back to. Although we know it's not "paradise", we're happier with the better life we have now.

This is just an opinion based on our experience....some who return to the UK are glad they did and go on to lead happy fulfilled lives with no regrets. In our case, we couldn't wait to get back on that flight to Calgary!! :D

OMG i take my hat off to you, you must be an amazing bunch.
Good for you not giving up, but sometimes things happen for a reason, i know too well.
I am so happy you have worked it out, good luck for the future.
Denise

cranni May 20th 2006 2:03 am

alk

My parents where the 10 poms, they where in Mt Isa Queensland for 4 years, mum got homesick, and they took us back, they regretted it as soon as they stepped off the Plane. They planned to return, but never did.
Anyway we came here 17 months ago, and they have been here twice and live for this. It has given them a new lease of life.
You are in Manchester, my son is also, he is a victim support officer.
If i can give you any advice i would say GO FOR IT.
You have to make your own mind up, if you dont do it you will regret it for the rest of your life.
If it does not work for you then have a plan B.
As i said before, dont read the going back threads.
Some people never settle, and are never happy wherever they are, and that is a fact.
I have bad days , but i would wherever i lived.
I f i decided to go back to UK, it would be just for family.
And i would not come on here slagging Oz off. It is a wonderful country, but so is UK in my eyes, we just wanted to try something else, anyway what im trying to say is , make your own mind up.
good luck.
Denise